S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old August 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #1
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

Default 2008 Squiggy Inline Classic: March 7-9

It's sad to see the event dissappear but on the bright side, those of you in the Florida area, there is a great 10k race every year around the end of April beginning of May. It is part of the Publix Family Fitness Weekends and you can participate in a number of events especially the 10k skate event.

The event held at this time of year is in St Augustine, Fl. The course is straight and flat. Recently paved so it is very fast. They usually don't post the event dates until after the first of the year so bookmark the website and keep checking:

Publix Family Fitness Weekends

-
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #2
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

Good point Lenny. I also emailed the Publix group pleading for an event up towards the panhandle since they've started opening stores up this way.

If you've never been to St. Augustine, it's a cool place.

Jeff
j_nolesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

For those of you that are bummed out by Disney, there is a replacement. No wet boardwalk, just miles of pristine, beautiful pavement. Come to Tampa in March and you can still make that trip to the Disney park with the family (or boycott Disney and visit Busch Gardens instead!!!) Bring a sleeping bag and save on hotel fare (the marathon starts minutes outside my front door )

We're working on getting timechips too. Help make Squiggy the next big race.

Squiggy Inline Marathon
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
For those of you that are bummed out by Disney, there is a replacement. No wet boardwalk, just miles of pristine, beautiful pavement. Come to Tampa in March and you can still make that trip to the Disney park with the family (or boycott Disney and visit Busch Gardens instead!!!) Bring a sleeping bag and save on hotel fare (the marathon starts minutes outside my front door )

We're working on getting timechips too. Help make Squiggy the next big race.

Squiggy Inline Marathon
Hmm, my company has an office south of Tampa... I'm thinking they might need me out there in March.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Ooo, the Squiggy looked like a really good event... The asphalt was sooo schmoooooth...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #6
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Hmm, my company has an office south of Tampa... I'm thinking they might need me out there in March.
Woohoo! Bring a couple people with ya too
Old September 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Woohoo! Bring a couple people with ya too
I'll try! Can you describe the course, as well as the typical weather there in March? I believe it was this past February when I went to that office the other time, and the weather was beautiful. I went running each evening, and to the beach one morning. Too cold to swim, but it was so peaceful to walk in the sand, and listen to the calm waves on the shoreline...

March in Minnesota is still cold, wet (and/or snowy) and windy. I bet the conditions in Tampa are worth the plane fare.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #8
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_nolesfan View Post
Oh let's just stop picking this scab A couple weeks after Disney this year, the Publix Family Fitness weekend had a 10k in St. Augustine. It's only a 10k but it's a fun weekend in a historic city. Let's hope they have it this year. Here are the details about this year's event. I'm not going to put a separate thread up for this yet because I can't confirm the 2008 schedule yet.

Jeff
Jeff,

Remember to put Squiggy weekend 7-9 March in Tampa in your calendar.

Details for skating here http://www.squiggyclassicinline.com

And the brochure for rest of the event here

See you there / Birgit
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #9
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

That might be doable if the finances permit. I might have to save pennies until spring though (April) before I make it too far. I have a friend in Oldsmar though and if I can talk the family into going with me, it's certainly a possibility.

Jeff
j_nolesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:14 AM   #10
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Default Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

I just want to thank you all for the great support Jessica and I have received in getting this back up and going!

We have already 7 signed up - wauww guys thank you for both saying you support the event, but also signing up so long time in advance

We are going to start the "Skate in the Dark" tradition that has been going on in Flatwoods for at least the past 10 years, maybe even longer. I talked to the rangers today and they were real happy that we will start that tradition again.

So for all you Tampa Bay skaters reading here, come to Flatwoods every second Friday in the month after dark - remember ligths and helmets And yes guest from out of town are more than welcome to join the fun!! First skate will be Friday Jan. 11 at 7pm

Ohh btw remember to sign up for Squiggy Classic Inline 2008, go here to do so
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:19 AM   #11
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

We got yet another sponsor!

Inline Warehouse

One of the things they have sponsored is an online coupon for those registered for Squiggy.

I've send an email to all registered for the race with the code for the 5% discount on any purchase on http://www.inlinewarehouse.com

If you are registered and did not receive that email - let me know!

They will leave it active through Race Day on March 9.

Hope you will have time to make good use of the discount!
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #12
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

12 days left before Squiggy Classic Inline 2008

- We emptied the piggy bank and decided to get chip timing

- We “hired” Roy Paz from Stardust to be our speaker – so lots of pure-skater-enthusiasm when racers are in sight

- Lots of great raffle prizes; new Bont Wheels, skates, boots etc.

- Big cash prizes

And great weather

Forecast:
Saturday, Mar 8

Sunny
Low: 62 °F
High: 78 °F

Sunday, Mar 9

Partly sunny
Low: 55 °F
High: 79 °F

From accuweather.com

Online registration is open until Thursday 6th March at midnight.

“Late registration” can be done both Friday 7th March from 6pm till 9pm at Flatwoods and Saturday 8th March from 10am till 2pm.

!!! There will be no registration at race day!!!

Time Trials participant’s last chance to sign up is Friday 7th March at the Ranger Station in Flatwoods no later than 9pm.

Half or full marathon participant’s last chance to sign up is Saturday March 8th at the Ranger Station in Flatwoods no later than 2 pm.

If you have any questions what so ever, please let us know info@squiggyclassicinline.com or look at www.squiggyclassicinline.com
Old March 8th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #13
JandKLarson

Default Good luck to all skating Squiggy!

I wanted to wish everyone who is skating the marathon or half-marathon tomorrow in Tampa at Squiggy the best of luck!! Hopefully the wind will die down and we'll be hearing about lots of personal bests.

And to skateloggers who have flown in for the event, hope your trip down was smooth. Hubby Kevin and his teammates missed their connecting flight last night and only arrived in Tampa around noontime today instead of last night. His other teammates, including Nikko (who some of you know), ended up in Tampa over 6 hours late last night.

And to organizers and fellow skateloggers Jessica and Birgit - best of luck to both of you as well!! Although I couldn't be there personally to support the event this year, I think I speak for many who applaud your willingness to step up to the plate and help another skating event to grow rather than go by the wayside!! Hopefully I can get there next year Have a couple margaritas tomorrow night ladies and celebrate - kudos to you both!!!

Julie
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote