S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:52 PM   #1
cheryl murphy
Senior Member
 
cheryl murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 138
Default Comeback journey and accomplishments (please share yours)

Hi to all who have decided to come back after a long retirement from skatingand of course hi to all!
Please share your successes and bruises and we can cheer each other along.
I haven't skated since 1987. But that was just teaching skating. I stopped practicing and competing in 1977. So, it has been 21 years at least since I threw a single axel. I skated then for my mom and now I want to skate for me. So, I already have picked out the music for my first cut for a routine and I have practiced a combination and axel. (on the carpet in my bare feet) My combinations were a waltz jump, loop, single mapes and waltz, euler(sp), salchow or single flip. I tried camel positions and my back will not let me invert over. Too tight. So, this is the beginning of my journey. Thank you for the encouraging feedback, Jim and Steve. Now, I gotta bite the bullet and buy some skates for my fat little tootsies!
__________________
Cheryl
"Not old, Just older" ~ Bon Jovi
cheryl murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #2
cheryl murphy
Senior Member
 
cheryl murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 138
Default lots of views and no talkers

I have decided on a pair of skates so now to order. I need a wide boot for my little bunion friend. I could buy 2.5 x the skates back in the 70's for the same money. Wish I was sam on bewitched and cold wrinkle my nose and my skates be finished, broke in and here.
__________________
Cheryl
"Not old, Just older" ~ Bon Jovi
cheryl murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Ancient1
Senior Member
 
Ancient1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 1,918
Default

Cheryl,
Don't keep us in suspense... What are you getting. This is exciting. I know the feeling about getting the new equipment.

Jim (The Ancient One)
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Ancient1
Senior Member
 
Ancient1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 1,918
Default

Just a quick update. It seems like I am getting a crowd of young people now at the session skate cheering me as I do my spins. I have had a lot of kids ask for help on how to turn and stop and a lot of basic things. I can't wait to get my jumps back (especially my doubles). They are watching and seeing me relearn everything and maybe it is enough to get them to want to learn. I hope this is the start to rebuilding our art club.

Jim (The Ancient One)
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #5
retread
Senior Member
 
retread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Cheryl,
Don't keep us in suspense... What are you getting. This is exciting. I know the feeling about getting the new equipment.

Jim (The Ancient One)

Yeah, really!
(my sentimential favorites are the Snyders)

Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Ancient1
Senior Member
 
Ancient1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 1,918
Default

Bob,
It seems we have a lot in common... I am so sold on Snyders and they have done me well in the past and they are doing me well now. I'm sure other plates do as well, but I feel that if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Jim (The Ancient One)


Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post
Yeah, really!
(my sentimential favorites are the Snyders)

Bob
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #7
NaNaDo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl murphy View Post
Hi to all who have decided to come back after a long retirement from skatingand of course hi to all!
Please share your successes and bruises and we can cheer each other along.
I haven't skated since 1987. But that was just teaching skating. I stopped practicing and competing in 1977. So, it has been 21 years at least since I threw a single axel. I skated then for my mom and now I want to skate for me. So, I already have picked out the music for my first cut for a routine and I have practiced a combination and axel. (on the carpet in my bare feet) My combinations were a waltz jump, loop, single mapes and waltz, euler(sp), salchow or single flip. I tried camel positions and my back will not let me invert over. Too tight. So, this is the beginning of my journey. Thank you for the encouraging feedback, Jim and Steve. Now, I gotta bite the bullet and buy some skates for my fat little tootsies!
Hi Cheryl !
Nice seeing this kind of post... Here at this Forum you should be getting lots of encouragement over the next few months from former skaters who have returned ... My husband and I did!

We competed together in 1977 thru 1981. Only achieved State Silver Medals. Nothing higher than that but we sure did have a great time. We skated Dance together, my husband and our Son skated Freestyle in local competitions. We were away from skating for 25 years, our kids and grandkids got us back to skating about 3 years ago. It's the best thing that they could have ever done for us.

The first thing many old timers that had continued skating thru the years told us to do was... "get a coach and let him/her guide you thru the process of re-learning. It will help keep you a little safer". And boy, is that one true! We saw it two times over the last 3 years. A skater returns, jumps right out on the floor and tries to do some of the things they used to do and "WHAM" they're down. They got hurt ... and then they never returned. My husband was trying to impress the ladies one evening and "WHAM", he was down, and he would up with 10 stitches on the back of his head. Even under the guidance of a Coach during our first lesson, just trying to do runs and swings... we tripped each other and went down on our knees! We survived the awkwardness and the falls, and eventually that old feeling came back... we were finally "in sync with each other again".

It has not always been an easy journey but it has been a fun journey. There was 30 to 40 pounds to work off, lazy legs that had 'no muscles' in them, and OH, I am sure you know, "posture" and the lack of it. 25 years of inactivity takes it's toll. A big challange, but, the struggle is well worth it in the end. I have mentioned this before on the Forum, but will mention it again for you... The rewards are fantastic especially if have reached your 50's or 60's... Weight=under control, cholesterol=under control, blood pressure=under control. My husband has been able to go off blood pressure medications since we returned to skating. And that's the best news of all.

My husband has just about everything back that we used to do, right up to the Gold Level of Dance.... Me? It's coming back, but at a much slower pace. I had ordered new boots and they were much to big, so that held me back for the last three months. But now, I have a great fitting boot and in a few weeks when I am used to them we will start working in my progress again. Don't know if I will ever achieve Gold Level Dance again, but as long as we are enjoying what we can do together ... that's what matters.

Best Wishes Cheryl ... and "Enjoy the Ride" !!!

Last edited by NaNaDo; May 4th, 2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #8
NaNaDo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 627
Default

Hello again Bob and Hi Jim.... yes, I've also hung onto my old Snyder Imperials. Only for the sentimental value, and they do still work great. But, my husband and I are not going to compete this time around so we can still use them... There is a pic of my old Snyder's with my new boots posted on my profile page. It's a whole different world for todays competitive skater and they need to have the advantages that the newer plates offer.

Last edited by NaNaDo; May 4th, 2008 at 05:58 PM.
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #9
retread
Senior Member
 
retread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 575
Default

Jim, indeed I do think we have quite a bit in common. I just got back from the rink, my best night yet. Some moves are coming back as well as my confidence. If I wasn't skating, I was sitting singing along with the tunes the organist was playing, a beautiful, beautiful night. BTW Ragina, you and Kenny looked GREAT doing the waltz!

Bob

PS
I've got to hit the sack now, when I have more time I'll bore ya'all with my story!
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #10
NaNaDo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post
Jim, indeed I do think we have quite a bit in common. I just got back from the rink, my best night yet. Some moves are coming back as well as my confidence. If I wasn't skating, I was sitting singing along with the tunes the organist was playing, a beautiful, beautiful night. BTW Ragina, you and Kenny looked GREAT doing the waltz!

Bob

PS
I've got to hit the sack now, when I have more time I'll bore ya'all with my story!
Thank You Bob!!! And it felt pretty good considering I've only had the new boots for a week!!! Can't wait for the next couple of weeks to pass, then I will be so much more comfortable in them. Kenny is getting anxious to work on my turns and backward edges again!

Your doing a great job at the Shuffle too Bob! and BTW... you have already earned the right to the new T-shirt!!! Give Tami a hug from us... See you next week!
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #11
Ancient1
Senior Member
 
Ancient1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 1,918
Default

Last night I went to Spinnations in Port Richey, Fl.. It was an interesting night. They have wood floor and it's very well maintained. My problem is that I am not use to such a tight floor. I could barely do 3 turns and my spins were extremely difficult to enter. My wheels gripped so hard it would almost cause me to flip over on the initial edge transition from front outside to innerback. I took a wild fall, but did no harm. Got back up and attempted the spin several times before nailing it. I hate to lose (no matter how bad it hurts). I think that before I go back, I need to be a lot better and either get a set of Bones 103's or set of FoMac FreeStyle. There were some fantastic things about Spinnations Rink. It was a nice big floor and wood. It didn't hurt near as bad as concrete and it was very level. The music was great and it was an adult only session. The people there seemed friendly. A few came up to me and talked, but when I left, most of them looked at me and nodded, which was nice. Ok, enough for now...

Jim (The Ancient One)
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #12
retread
Senior Member
 
retread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 575
Default

Gee Ragina, thank you. All I know is it felt great! Jim, with my er, extra weight, I found my 101s were giving WAY too much traction. You may well find the 103s to be better on that floor. A little over $100.00 will allow you to have a second set of wheels with China Reds ready to go when floor conditions dictate, only taking a couple minutes to change them. Good luck, sounds like you are well down the comeback trail!

Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #13
Ancient1
Senior Member
 
Ancient1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 1,918
Default

Bob,
Thanks. Before I go back to Spinnations I will make sure I have the new wheels. The 101's are great for the floor I normally skate on. It's concrete with a coating that is about 8 years old and very dirty. Needless to say, it is a lot more slippery than fresh coating on a wood floor.

Jim (The Ancient One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post
Gee Ragina, thank you. All I know is it felt great! Jim, with my er, extra weight, I found my 101s were giving WAY too much traction. You may well find the 103s to be better on that floor. A little over $100.00 will allow you to have a second set of wheels with China Reds ready to go when floor conditions dictate, only taking a couple minutes to change them. Good luck, sounds like you are well down the comeback trail!

Bob
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #14
cheryl murphy
Senior Member
 
cheryl murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 138
Default you all are inspiring!

I am so close to ordering skates but I have to be sure of the boot. What are you guys skating on? I want a boot that is not too stiff to do dance and freestyle. I am going to order the snyder advantage plate, the bones elites, china red bearings but not sure what boot! Any help here. I am so antsy to get some skates. But as they say, measure twice, cut once!

So, glad all of you are having fun. I cannot wait to go to an actual practice and watch some skaters. Also, it has been so much fun connecting with 2 people that I skated with back in the 70's. I really appreciate this website, Kathy!
__________________
Cheryl
"Not old, Just older" ~ Bon Jovi
cheryl murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #15
cheryl murphy
Senior Member
 
cheryl murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNaDo View Post
Hi Cheryl !
Nice seeing this kind of post... Here at this Forum you should be getting lots of encouragement over the next few months from former skaters who have returned ... My husband and I did!

We competed together in 1977 thru 1981. Only achieved State Silver Medals. Nothing higher than that but we sure did have a great time. We skated Dance together, my husband and our Son skated Freestyle in local competitions. We were away from skating for 25 years, our kids and grandkids got us back to skating about 3 years ago. It's the best thing that they could have ever done for us.

The first thing many old timers that had continued skating thru the years told us to do was... "get a coach and let him/her guide you thru the process of re-learning. It will help keep you a little safer". And boy, is that one true! We saw it two times over the last 3 years. A skater returns, jumps right out on the floor and tries to do some of the things they used to do and "WHAM" they're down. They got hurt ... and then they never returned. My husband was trying to impress the ladies one evening and "WHAM", he was down, and he would up with 10 stitches on the back of his head. Even under the guidance of a Coach during our first lesson, just trying to do runs and swings... we tripped each other and went down on our knees! We survived the awkwardness and the falls, and eventually that old feeling came back... we were finally "in sync with each other again".

It has not always been an easy journey but it has been a fun journey. There was 30 to 40 pounds to work off, lazy legs that had 'no muscles' in them, and OH, I am sure you know, "posture" and the lack of it. 25 years of inactivity takes it's toll. A big challange, but, the struggle is well worth it in the end. I have mentioned this before on the Forum, but will mention it again for you... The rewards are fantastic especially if have reached your 50's or 60's... Weight=under control, cholesterol=under control, blood pressure=under control. My husband has been able to go off blood pressure medications since we returned to skating. And that's the best news of all.

My husband has just about everything back that we used to do, right up to the Gold Level of Dance.... Me? It's coming back, but at a much slower pace. I had ordered new boots and they were much to big, so that held me back for the last three months. But now, I have a great fitting boot and in a few weeks when I am used to them we will start working in my progress again. Don't know if I will ever achieve Gold Level Dance again, but as long as we are enjoying what we can do together ... that's what matters.

Best Wishes Cheryl ... and "Enjoy the Ride" !!!

Regina, I really appreciate your story. I really believe this is a good move for me. I may even compete. Who knows? I am so glad to hear from everyone. I am definitely taking advice. I have never done a comback or had to lose weight or anything. You have given many good ideas about taking care and doing this right. Another person really advised the training before jumping again as well. Wisdom is good to learn from someone elses' experience, don't you think? Once I get those stiff boots on, I am sure I will be complaining here since you all will understand. I haven't broke in boots since the 70's.
__________________
Cheryl
"Not old, Just older" ~ Bon Jovi
cheryl murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:33 AM   #16
Ancient1
Senior Member
 
Ancient1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 1,918
Default

Cheryl,
I would not recommend my boot (very stiff), which is a gold star (Riedell 375). Probably a better boot would be the Riedell 297 (Professional). It is a bit cheaper and from what I hear, very easy to break in and comfortable. I liked the 220 from when I was younger, but I had a heck of a time breaking them in. Blisters galore, but it handles nice once broken in.

Jim (The Ancient One)


Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl murphy View Post
I am so close to ordering skates but I have to be sure of the boot. What are you guys skating on? I want a boot that is not too stiff to do dance and freestyle. I am going to order the snyder advantage plate, the bones elites, china red bearings but not sure what boot! Any help here. I am so antsy to get some skates. But as they say, measure twice, cut once!

So, glad all of you are having fun. I cannot wait to go to an actual practice and watch some skaters. Also, it has been so much fun connecting with 2 people that I skated with back in the 70's. I really appreciate this website, Kathy!
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #17
NaNaDo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl murphy View Post
I am so close to ordering skates but I have to be sure of the boot. What are you guys skating on? I want a boot that is not too stiff to do dance and freestyle. I am going to order the snyder advantage plate, the bones elites, china red bearings but not sure what boot! Any help here. I am so antsy to get some skates. But as they say, measure twice, cut once!

So, glad all of you are having fun. I cannot wait to go to an actual practice and watch some skaters. Also, it has been so much fun connecting with 2 people that I skated with back in the 70's. I really appreciate this website, Kathy!
Hello again Cheryl,
I don't know about boots for free style, but for dance I had 2 different boots over the last 5 months. Riedell #336 was highly recommended and I had found they "were a beautiful boot" not "soft" but very flexable and very comfortable. I liked them allot. But ( and it was a toppic of great discussion in Jan and Feb posts) they were sized wrong and were much to big for me. So I had to get another pair of boots. Ther is many discussions about boots here at the Forum from December thru February.

I had tried on another skaters boots and they fit me real nice and I loved the way they looked so I went with Harlick Classic dance boot this time. They are a little stiffer than the Riedell #336, but still, very comfortable. I had ordered them with the "dance notch" cut.... but somewhere along the line the directions got mixed up and they came thru "cut down one hook" instead. I wan't very happy when I saw that... but... I would highly recommend it now. It has given the boot more fleability than the "notch". So now, I have joined the list of people who always say..."I love my Harlick's".

I have posted a link to one of the discussions. On that discussion (it's #2 on that thread) there is links for Harlick, Riedell, and I believe SPteri sizing charts. I wish I had these charts before I ordered my Riedell's... It would have saved allot of heart ache.

The only other thoughts I have, In the 70's just about everyone wore Riedell Gold Star Boots... but, today they are much stiffer than they used to be. Read all the information you can find and be very aware if someone measures your feet to order the boots ... If you can find a rink that runs a stock of boots or find a skater that wears the same size you think you wear.... "try some boots on!!! The picture in my profile pages is the Harlick Classic, cut down one hook lower, and have the Varnished heel and sole.

It's a very pretty boot! And great for Dance.

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7974

Best Wishes Cheryl... again... "Enjoy the ride".
EDIT: add on...
It's spring and many of the larger Invitational's are coming up...
Look for Vendor's that may have tables at the Invitational's !!! They will have boots for you to try on!!!
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #18
Tuesday Girl
Senior Member
 
Tuesday Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Blisters galore
Cheryl,

This is a little advanced knowledge as to the time line of your boot purchase, but if you should have trouble with blisters when you break in your new boots, you might consider getting these...eZee fit booties, depending on where your blisters (might) be!

I know they didn't have these in the '70's. Forum members recommended these when I couldn't get past the blisters. I ordered some and wear them every time now with my old resurrected Riedell Silver Stars. I never get blisters anymore!

http://store.discountwheelandskate.com/ezanbo.html
__________________
Tuesday Girl
Waitin' For Skatin'
Tuesday Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #19
Ancient1
Senior Member
 
Ancient1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 1,918
Default

ok! another accomplishment: Getting my single mapes consistant. It looks ugly, and free leg is in wrong position on landing, but I do make a complete revolution in the air. about half the time I land and then go to my toestop (not good at all), but the other half I clean from a right back outside edge to a right back outside edge. At first I thought I was leaning too far forward on my take off, but I'm not. I did get the camcorder the other day. right now experimenting with it to get the best angle and resolution.

I think I pulled a muscle or tendon from my spins. Left leg inside hurts like crazy when I stress it. I think my weight was too much along with the torque I was placing on it. It only bothers me slightly when I do my jumps, so this is a good time to switch over. More later. at least I am having fun.

Jim (The Ancient One)
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #20
Ancient1
Senior Member
 
Ancient1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tallahassee, Fl.
Posts: 1,918
Smile

At the most I did 20 jumps this evening, and now every muscle in my body aches. It is fantastic! I know I had a great workout. I noticed my right knee is sore. I have to meter myself and only do a limited amount of jumps till my body strengthens. I am really happy that the skating is progressing this well.
Jim (The Ancient One)
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.