S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old August 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #1
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

Default 2008 Squiggy Inline Classic: March 7-9

It's sad to see the event dissappear but on the bright side, those of you in the Florida area, there is a great 10k race every year around the end of April beginning of May. It is part of the Publix Family Fitness Weekends and you can participate in a number of events especially the 10k skate event.

The event held at this time of year is in St Augustine, Fl. The course is straight and flat. Recently paved so it is very fast. They usually don't post the event dates until after the first of the year so bookmark the website and keep checking:

Publix Family Fitness Weekends

-
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #2
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

Good point Lenny. I also emailed the Publix group pleading for an event up towards the panhandle since they've started opening stores up this way.

If you've never been to St. Augustine, it's a cool place.

Jeff
j_nolesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

For those of you that are bummed out by Disney, there is a replacement. No wet boardwalk, just miles of pristine, beautiful pavement. Come to Tampa in March and you can still make that trip to the Disney park with the family (or boycott Disney and visit Busch Gardens instead!!!) Bring a sleeping bag and save on hotel fare (the marathon starts minutes outside my front door )

We're working on getting timechips too. Help make Squiggy the next big race.

Squiggy Inline Marathon
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
For those of you that are bummed out by Disney, there is a replacement. No wet boardwalk, just miles of pristine, beautiful pavement. Come to Tampa in March and you can still make that trip to the Disney park with the family (or boycott Disney and visit Busch Gardens instead!!!) Bring a sleeping bag and save on hotel fare (the marathon starts minutes outside my front door )

We're working on getting timechips too. Help make Squiggy the next big race.

Squiggy Inline Marathon
Hmm, my company has an office south of Tampa... I'm thinking they might need me out there in March.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Ooo, the Squiggy looked like a really good event... The asphalt was sooo schmoooooth...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #6
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Hmm, my company has an office south of Tampa... I'm thinking they might need me out there in March.
Woohoo! Bring a couple people with ya too
Old September 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Tigger

Quote:
Woohoo! Bring a couple people with ya too
I'll try! Can you describe the course, as well as the typical weather there in March? I believe it was this past February when I went to that office the other time, and the weather was beautiful. I went running each evening, and to the beach one morning. Too cold to swim, but it was so peaceful to walk in the sand, and listen to the calm waves on the shoreline...

March in Minnesota is still cold, wet (and/or snowy) and windy. I bet the conditions in Tampa are worth the plane fare.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #8
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Default 2008 Squiggy Inline Classic - The Race is On

I don't get it. What the he** did we do wrong to prompt this? Last year's event went off without any issues so I'm at a loss to understand why. I'm really upset about this. Here's an excerpt from the organizers:

"KUDO'S: The Inline Skate Community in parallel with SkateTampa.com and the
Tampa Bay Road Rollers have donated thousands of dollars to Wilderness
Trails Association (WTA) for more than 10 years. With that said, we'd like
to Thank All The Past Park Rangers that have helped make the Full Moon Skate
and the Squiggy Inline Classic the success it became by trusting and
allowing the Skaters to run the Skate.

ISSUE AT HAND: Over the months, the WTA has expressed a desire to not
support SkateTampa.com's efforts orchestrating the Inline Skate portion of
the Squiggy Inline Classic (especially in regards to the Safety of the
Skaters) by changing our Schedules and Event Formats as they see fit. In
addition, SkateTampa.com -- Today (3 Oct 07) -- have been told (by Joe
Humble, Senior Park Ranger and President of WTA) that our Volunteer Time and
Donations to the Park (and WTA) were not enough and demand that the Skate
Club turn over all funding sources to the Park in order to control Profits.

With these decisions put before the Skate Club (without any warning), we
have been faced with the decision, and with deep regret, that SkateTampa.com
will no longer be involved with the Squiggy Inline Classic. Our original
intent when asked to Participate in Squiggy since the Inaugural year was to
have Fun, make Friends and donate Funds to the Park for all to benefit (just
for a great cause, right?). Well, that focus have simply disappeared, and
we have now found ourselves self-employed to the Rangers in order to
increase WTA's bottom line. If Joe Humble knows how to put on an Inline
Marathon by himself, then so be it!

FAREWELL: Guess good things do sometimes, come to an end! With that said,
we have No Regrets. Just plenty of great memories of "Just Skating"."

The Breeze
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #9
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:

With these decisions put before the Skate Club (without any warning), we
have been faced with the decision, and with deep regret, that SkateTampa.com
will no longer be involved with the Squiggy Inline Classic. Our original
intent when asked to Participate in Squiggy since the Inaugural year was to
have Fun, make Friends and donate Funds to the Park for all to benefit (just
for a great cause, right?). Well, that focus have simply disappeared, and
we have now found ourselves self-employed to the Rangers in order to
increase WTA's bottom line. If Joe Humble knows how to put on an Inline
Marathon by himself, then so be it!
Jessica, do not get too mad yet!!

Read the quote above where Breeze says that it's skatetampa.com that will not work with the rangers and Joe Humble. Breeze writes that Joe can put it on him self.

As I read it, its Breeze that do not want to organize on those terms (that be fair or not or or or) but if we can find somebody else to talk to/work with Joe Humble and then put it on, I'm sure Breeze will help the new organizers with all he learned the previous years.

As soon I'm back from A2A, I'll talk to Breeze and see what's going on and if there's any opening with Joe Humble for still doing the race.

We need a race in Florida, so anybody out there ready to help get this fixed?!?!

Back with more after A2A.
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #10
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

It sounds more to me like they were trying to push out the event altogether. I asked him for more information, but haven't heard back yet.

They did an excellent job in organizing the event, so I can't imagine how anyone else could do any better.
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #11
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Ouch, that hurts! But thanks for the heads-up on the Squiggy situation and please let me know if there is anything the Orlando skaters can do to help.

LezSk8!
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #12
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

I've read this a few times and from what I gather the Park/WTA want to take over the control of the event, not that it is being canceled. The reasons being the "(especially in regards to the Safety of the Skaters)" whatever that means. The bigger and underlying issue seems to be they want to take over control of the funds as opposed to the skate club handling the funds.

Can they do a bigger and better job? Who knows only time will tell.

The main website for the rest of the Squiggy Classic is: http://www.squiggyclassic.org/

The 2008 brochure, which can be found at the link above has the in-line marathon listed. Now it maybe to early for them to have taken it off but, let's keep an eye on this and see what happens.

Don't give up hope just yet.
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #13
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
It sounds more to me like they were trying to push out the event altogether. I asked him for more information, but haven't heard back yet.

They did an excellent job in organizing the event, so I can't imagine how anyone else could do any better.

Don't get me wrong here, I think they did more than excellent, and it got me started racing - I'm very grateful!!

BUT if Breeze and his group are not willing to continue under the circumstances then that's were a new group of skaters needs to take over to make sure that it keeps being an event.

Agree with Lenny lets keep an eye on it - and soon you'll heard from Breeze with the details and can give them to us.
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #14
Jim White

If anyone is interested in working to have this race continue, please contact me japc@execpc.com ASAP
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #15
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Hi Jim,

I'm in!!

As I wrote it got me racing and I WANT it to continue, please let me know what is needed and wanted from me.

I have time to dedicate!

Who else wants to help?!?!
Old October 9th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #16
jayssss
APRR Rules!

Default I was going to attend but...

After Disney was cancelled, I figured I would try out the Squiggy event this next year. My parents live about equidistant to both Orlando and Tampa, and see an event down there as an opportunity for us to visit them. I'll be disappointed if the event goes south. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the situation before I get flights. If it does happen, maybe I can get down in the 1:30ish numbers.
jayssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #17
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Squiggy will be on in some way or the other!!

See more here http://www.activeintampa.com/forum/f...d=242#post_552

I'll let everybody know more in the next few days, but keep happy, stay in good speeding shape and we will find a solution!

Last edited by Birgit; October 10th, 2007 at 02:12 AM. Reason: typo
Birgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #18
Jim White

Another perspective (to the post below, which was the post above before being changed):

Efforts are underway to have 2 (or more) Tampa area outdoor skate races. One probably will be the traditional Squiggy Inline Marathon at Flatwoods, probably with Birgit as the key leader. Thanks! Breeze, as he says, is working to add another, separate from the Squiggy festival, and perhaps at a different venue. Two races are better than one! And there's actually yet another, the Tampa Classic, March 20-23, although this is mostly indoors, and the outdoor races are the types favored by the better speedskaters.

The bike club says they do want skaters as part of their event. Their having 2 or more skate events proves to me that they do, although their discussions saying they do want us seem sincere, so that's another reason I believe they do want us.

Yes, the venue management does ask $10 per skater for this event, which I believe will be included in the race registration fee. (Note that you can skate the trail anytime you want for the standard park use fee/free, except when the venue is reserved for a special event.) This $10 is much less than skate races pay for most venues. But what we as skaters care about is whether the total event cost is reasonable, considering the quality of the event. You make that call!

So, thanks to Breeze for getting this started. We wish you the best in further starting a race separate from Squiggy. And we look forward to seeing many skaters at the traditional Squiggy race also!

P.S. I don't think it's appropriate to write the Governor or even County Commissioners about a skate race, LOL.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #19
thebreeze

Default Squiggy Cancelled

I just happen to run into this Forum and wanted to comment.

The skate has not gone away, were just trying to place it another day and time. Meanwhile, the Bike Club that is running Squiggy at Flatwoods (The WTA) does not want the skaters there, as we have seem to have gotten in the way of all their alloted times and dates (Believe me, the Skaters have NO "Zero" say-so in any of the meetings). The Senior Park Ranger has shown his favor by leaning towards WTA views, and have meanwhile priced us (the skaters) out of the park. Meaning; after paying an online registration fee like everyone has done in the past, the County Ranger has added a mandatory $10 per head, per event the day of. In other words, there will be someone there from the County to collect an additional $10 for every person that shows up for the Time Trials, $10 for the Full Moon Skate, and $10 for the Marathon... and non of that will go towards t-shirts, trophies, prizes, etc., for the Skaters (you're on your own on that). I have proof, I have the e-mails from both the County and WTA. Sorry, but we originated the Skate to have Fun, not to make money, so we have the right to cancell what we created. If someone is willing to support the park and the Bike Club's bottom line, that's fine. We're not going to stop them. Frankly, i'd rather skate and have fun with my all friends.... than worry about how much money we're going to make for an Event.

Hope that clear things up a little. Please stay tunned, more skating news to come for the Tampa Bay Area! We appreciate everyone's support in our Events. Just please, be patient.

Meanwhile, See what everyone else is saying about the event: http://www.skatetampa.com/squiggy.htm

the Breeze
Send Me Your Comments thebreeze@skatetampa.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SUBMIT YOUR CONCERNS (Act Now!)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

E-mail Ken Hagan (County Commissioner, District 2--Flatwoods)
http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/bo...ners/hagan.cfm
Or Phone: 813.272.5660

E-mail Jim Norman (County Commissioner, Chairman)
http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/bo...ers/norman.cfm
Or Phone: 813.272.5725

E-Mail Charlie Crist (44th Governor of Florida)
http://www.flgov.com/contact_form
Or Phone: 850.488.7146
thebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #20
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreeze View Post
We're not going to stop them. Frankly, i'd rather skate and have fun with my all friends.... than worry about how much money we're going to make for an Event.

Hope that clear things up a little. Please stay tunned, more skating news to come for the Tampa Bay Area! We appreciate everyone's support in our Events. Just please, be patient.
Breeze,

Just to enlighten me, who is the "we" you talk about in the above?

And don't get me wrong I'm here to skate and have fun too, but you seem to be very upset and all I want to make happen is that we continue a tradition that you happen to start - just like we talked about on the phone this morning. I totally respect that you do not want to be part of it anymore, thats your choice and you have your reasons to have made that choice.

But I do think it is not correct to state on the skatetampa web page that it has been cancelled. You told me yourself this morning on the phone that it has not been cancelled, but that you do not want to continue. That you do not want to continue to coordinate and saying a race is cancelled is for me a huge difference. You also wrote in the original email that it was skatetampa that would not coordinate anymore - so twice have you said that its skatetampa that will not continue - but that's still not the same as an event being cancelled.

I want to skate the Squiggy marathon, I've talked to other skaters today and they want to skate the marathon

Looking forward to our meeting Thursday night, and lets get this cleared out.

I'm totally confident that we can find a solution to this so everybody can stay happy and we can get Squiggy Inline Classic rolling like previous years.

Please let's get this cleared out and figure out where the upsets stems from, find a way to cooperate and then go online and tell everybody and anybody that this is how Squiggy will be in March 2008.

Stay tuned