S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #101
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Well, I went back this evening after being off for 2 weeks. Guess what, not even 2 laps around on warmups again. This time I was going forward and doing strokes and inside edges. Then my right front wheel hit a small red piece of plastic (it looks like it came off of a kids cheap skates). I was thrown about 3 feet in the air and landed on all 4's. Left skin on the floor. At least I wore my riot gear this time. Saved my butt good. Coach came over very fast and I was yelling and screaming about how angry I was and that they better start taking care of this floor before someone gets killed. I then pointed to the spot where my skates hit the debris. We when over there to find skuff marks and the little piece of red plastic. I am so freaking PO'd over this. I have decided never to go back there again. I will have to find another place to skate. There is no REASON AT ALL that the floor can't be cleaned and cleared of debris. One day someone, either a kid or an elderly person will fall and kill themselves. They are going to be in big trouble. You have no idea how upset I am. I am ok, other than the dizziness, weakness and nausia are all back, and I didn't even hit my head, but I did go down hard. Bummer big time.
Hi Jim... I was thinking of you allot this week and hoping we would see a post from you soon .... so sorry it's not a good news posting!!! Have you thought more about traveling to that other rink that is farther away? If it could give you a better experience it will be well worth it.

We were very hesitant to make the commitment to drive the hour to change rinks because of the cost of gas, but now, a month later we have discovered it's the best choice we could have ever made. Take care Jim ...
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #102
Wendy Hammond

Hi Jim - Don't give up - just move rinks if you have another within travelling distance. I am so envious of all the older skaters who have the strength and courage to keep going. Once every blue moon, I put an old pair of inlines on and struggle round the edge of our sports hall - all I get is "Mum you're embarrassing us get them off." I did once try a pair of quads but was told by a skating coach friend to get them off before I bl***y killed myself. I can skate the most amazing programmes in my dreams - and know that it will never be reality. Those of you with courage keep going you will only regret it otherwise...
Best wishes to you all!!!!
Wendy Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #103
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Hammond View Post
Hi Jim - Don't give up - just move rinks if you have another within travelling distance. I am so envious of all the older skaters who have the strength and courage to keep going. Once every blue moon, I put an old pair of inlines on and struggle round the edge of our sports hall - all I get is "Mum you're embarrassing us get them off." I did once try a pair of quads but was told by a skating coach friend to get them off before I bl***y killed myself. I can skate the most amazing programmes in my dreams - and know that it will never be reality. Those of you with courage keep going you will only regret it otherwise...
Hi Wendy !!!
Please don't let the kids get you discouraged !!! "Keep on rollin" ..."
A coach was talking with a small crowd a few weeks ago. I guess the kids were making fun of... or complaining about all the old timers ???? He told them..."hey, don't be fooled by their age ", "they are quite proud of the fact that they can still be on the floor and are quite good (and strong) at what the do"....
If it's in your heart and you even dream about it... "keep going"... the more you do it the easier it will get !!! We were off skates for 25 years and when we came back I was "shaking in my boots" and didn't dare go on the floor without holding my husbands hand for the first 6 months... eventually I got a little stronger and gained some confidence.... "you will too" !!! And then, one day you will see your kids give you a little smile and you will feel soooo good !
Also... put them on and roll around more often than "when the blue moon rises" LOL !!! ... if you can, 2 or 3 times a week will give you quicker results!!!

Best Wishes Wendy !!! Keep us posted on your progress.
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #104
NaNaDo

Hey Wendy... our Organist, Marty Dumic, is going to England for 2 weeks vacation in July to visit friends... I will ask him if he is going to play at any rinks while he is there!!! He sells lots of CD's there but not sure if he plays when he visits England !
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #105
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Reg' and Everyone--

The reality check is when most of us "adult skaters" start or restart skating it's a choice to rebuild and strengthen ourselves for a variety of reasons including our health. Most of us who've skated before know there are going to be falls, bumps and bruises along the way to get back to some semblance strength and form we had before. And we also agree the risk is worth taking--

But there are a couple things we need to take into consideration and this thread has pointed them out--

1. Take your time. We're not 15 yrs old any more! It took a while to get to be a decent skater when we were young. Now that we're (ahem) a few years older, it's going to take a while to get back into shape. Remember life's the journey not the victories, and nothing really good for you happens in one day-- unless you happen to hit the Powerball or Multi-State Lottery. Then we will all be looking at you to build a decent roller rink in a lovely retirement area where we can all move to and build one heck of a kick-b^tt adult club!

2. Finding a rink that is interested in building a "Community of skaters of all ages" or a real family sports center where everyone is welcome-- and they are more concerned with running a safe, clean well maintained rink, vs. looking to bail out, by making a fast buck off the real estate value of the property.

That's my 25 cents worth of opinions for the week!
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #106
NaNaDo

Default Wendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNaDo View Post
Hey Wendy... our Organist, Marty Dumic, is going to England for 2 weeks vacation in July to visit friends... I will ask him if he is going to play at any rinks while he is there!!! He sells lots of CD's there but not sure if he plays when he visits England !
Hi Wendy,
I just heard back from Marty.
He will not be playing live while he is in England
but will be doing some recording for the UK skating while there.
Best Wishes and enjoy your skating.
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #107
Wendy Hammond

Quote:
Hi Wendy,
I just heard back from Marty.
He will not be playing live while he is in England
but will be doing some recording for the UK skating while there.
Best Wishes and enjoy your skating.
I have decided to be brave and am going to have a skate next weekend when we go to the hall... I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the support!
Old June 28th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #108
NaNaDo

Great Wendy !!! just remember what people on this thread suggested !!!! "take you time" and eventually all the techniques you knew when you were younger will come back. We all want you to be safe so we can (in the years ahead) hear all the stories about you skating with you "grandkids" !!!
Old June 29th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #109
Ancient1

Wendy and Regina,
Don't worry about me quiting. Today I went to Skate Mania in Ocala. It's double the distance (about 1 hour one way) than it is to Roller Barn in Inverness. I heard stories about the gang fights there and how run down it got. But I also heard it was a much bigger rink and a nice hard wood floor.
There were a lot a people there, mostly teens. I'd say they had about 300 in that building. But they were moderatly civilized. As we came in to pay, this BIG BOUNCER was at the door. His booming voice was clear: "Spit out your gum before you enter. If you get caught with gum, you are out. No warnings. No refund. Spit it out now."
About a half hour into the session, they stopped all the skaters and the big guy spent about 10 minutes on the rules. He also mentioned about the change in music. He said there will be no more gangster rap. They have been migrating to softer traditional music. (I think they have a ways to go, but they are in the right direction) He said the reason is that there was too much gang activity going on and he was going to stop it. He said: "If you don't like the music, THERE IS THE DOOR! Leave now, we don't want trouble makers. If you fight or cause trouble, you will be removed and never allowed back."
He explained how the floors have been ruined by people spilling drinks, spitting gum, throwing debris on the floor. He said that will be punished by removal of the offending person. No one is allow to block the isles, or the entry exit to and from the floor. No one is allowed to be on the floor and not moving. and so on...

Needless to say I was impressed. He then floor guarded and took care of problems as he saw them. I went up to him and thanked him for the stand they were taking. He said that he had a talk with the owner and said that he told them that they (the owner) needed to give him the right to enforce the rules or he was going to walk. It looks like we have a brave one out there.

I think I have a new skating home. Now I have to contact the coach/instructor. We have been playing phone tag for 2 days now. Maybe tomorrow will be better. I need to set up time for practice. As for the floor, it was all I hoped it could be. I had no fear of debris on the floor. Now I just have to get use to the new feeling of this floor. It shouldn't take long.

Jim
Old June 29th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #110
Ancient1

Wendy,
So why won't you make those dreams a reality? If I can try to get my skills back at my age and weight, I dare say almost anyone can. You just have to want it bad enough, and then do it. You can! You can soar! Please make it happen, you won't regret it.

Jim

Quote:
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #111
NaNaDo

Default Good for you Jim !!!

Very Good !!! Hope it all comes together for you now! I heard tales of city kids coming to the rink many years before we started back.... lots of problems and fights. Someone told me they switched to country western music for a year or two and the problem kids stopped hanging out there!!!

We still skate sessions once a week at the one rink that is 5 minutes from our home. But Thursday's we travel the hour for lessons and practice. And what a treat to have a good lesson and plenty of dance time !!! Sunday's we travel an hour in another direction for another terrific session that allows for a little bit of practice as long as you don't interfere with the flow of session.

Best Wishes Jim... enjoy your new rink.
Old June 29th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #112
Ancient1

Regina,
Thanks. I appreciate hearing about similar situations. I guess it's true that those that are able to adapt have a much better chance to survive and even thrive.

Jim (The Ancient One)

Quote:
Very Good !!! Hope it all comes together for you now! I heard tales of city kids coming to the rink many years before we started back.... lots of problems and fights. Someone told me they switched to country western music for a year or two and the problem kids stopped hanging out there!!!

We still skate sessions once a week at the one rink that is 5 minutes from our home. But Thursday's we travel the hour for lessons and practice. And what a treat to have a good lesson and plenty of dance time !!! Sunday's we travel an hour in another direction for another terrific session that allows for a little bit of practice as long as you don't interfere with the flow of session.

Best Wishes Jim... enjoy your new rink.
Old June 29th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #113
Wendy Hammond

Quote:
Great Wendy !!! just remember what people on this thread suggested !!!! "take you time" and eventually all the techniques you knew when you were younger will come back. We all want you to be safe so we can (in the years ahead) hear all the stories about you skating with you "grandkids" !!!
It's lovely to be getting all this support. My biggest problem is that I didn't skate when I was younger. I have just stood and watched my boys for years initially on ice and then on rollers- now the envy is getting the better of me! We only get the hall for 2 hrs on Saturday - but I will skate this week whatever anyone says to me at the rink. I will let you know how it goes...
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #114
Ancient1

Wendy,
Great to see you stepping out. best of luck. Just a few things to note first:
Go Slow, don't try to keep up with everyone else. Make each step as careful and graceful as possible. When you start waving your arms, you are going beyond your ability.
Now to waving arms. It is a natural tendancy to try and balance like you are on a tight rope. Do your best to not do that. I find it best to have new skaters put their hands loosely on their hips. NOT IN THE POCKETS! just a light touch on the hips. That will keep you from waving them and throwing yourself off balance even more. If you fall, you still have your hands free and they are in a place that is convenient, not half way behind you.

Keep your knees slightly bent and push off to the side and back. Don't try to step. You should do great. After awhile you will get very comfortable. Just go slow...
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #115
rwsz

Jim i am 59 now and dont try jumps or spins anymore, of course i dont skate that often but am going to sunday nite at a nite of champions fundraiser. i am also overweight and need to lose weight. maybe if you lose the weight first it wont be as bad when you do fall or stumble. trying to be helpful here and not critical or anything like that. good luck,,,you have more guts then me lol
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #116
Ancient1

Rick,
Not to worry about being critical. I appreciate it when people tell me what they think. I may agree or not agree and maybe I will respond. Even if I disagree, I appreciate the critical observation. I always value your opinion. Please continue.
Jim (The Ancient One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
Jim i am 59 now and dont try jumps or spins anymore, of course i dont skate that often but am going to sunday nite at a nite of champions fundraiser. i am also overweight and need to lose weight. maybe if you lose the weight first it wont be as bad when you do fall or stumble. trying to be helpful here and not critical or anything like that. good luck,,,you have more guts then me lol
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #117
NaNaDo

Quote:
It's lovely to be getting all this support. My biggest problem is that I didn't skate when I was younger. I have just stood and watched my boys for years initially on ice and then on rollers- now the envy is getting the better of me! We only get the hall for 2 hrs on Saturday - but I will skate this week whatever anyone says to me at the rink. I will let you know how it goes...
"Way to go Wendy" !!!! Have fun !!!
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #118
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
All so very true Rick! When we came back we started right away with our old coach because we had so many warnings from other adult skaters about trying things we were not ready for. I was 58 and Kenny was 60.... He is, and always was, fearless with his skating !!! After he wound up with 10 stitches in his head she talked with us about over doing it. Especially, because of our weight.

She reminded us, as she also has to do with younger teenagers, while we are losing weight, or, as with teens when they gain weight or grow taller and their bodies are changing so much, our "centers" are constantly changing. So Jim, remember, as you do loose the weight over the next few months your "center" will be constantly changing. How you executed a move a few months ago may not work as you loose each 5 to 10 pounds or gain that muscle mass.

As with you Rick, I am so happy Kenny did not try the freestyle again. I think it is amazing that there are the few who can pull it off at our age. And have seen only a few actually attempt it at this age. I am glad you do have a coach Jim, it will keep you a bit safer.

Enjoy your new rink and lessons. We are adjusting to a new floor, different skaters and surrondings too. Sharing the floor with several National Champions and a World Class Champ was very intimidating , but now we are finding them to be very supportive and encouraging which has helped us to relax a little. A few more weeks of this and I am sure we will be on our way to new levels of skating !
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:30 AM   #119
Ancient1

Just got back from Skate Mania. I love the place and the Monday night practice was fantastic. The instructors there are great. Yes! I have found a home.
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:33 PM   #120
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Just got back from Skate Mania. I love the place and the Monday night practice was fantastic. The instructors there are great. Yes! I have found a home.

thats great Jim, thats 3/4 of the battle. who are the coaches there?