S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old March 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #81
TooFast
TooFast

Cool Don't try going backwards...yet

Hi Asocial,

Thanks.
As soon as the skater gets comfortable on skates, he/she may dis-engage or remove them. Their primary market would be tageting beginners but they also benefit speedskaters. I'm preparing to proove advantages for marathon skaters as well.

Check out my site:http://www.inlineskatetech.com/

Later skater,
Bruce
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:00 PM   #82
kuhpow

Default My first 15 minutes

Hi Everyone! I'm really learning a lot from the posts and articles on this site, thanks. I wanted to introduce myself. I'm a big fan of the Dog Whisperer, and so I purchased a pair of Landrollers. They're kind of like inline skates, but they're angled and only have 2 wheels. My goal is to skate with my dogs. I skated around my living room, and I skated for about 10 minutes in a church parking lot this morning. It's pretty scary for me, my heart beats really fast. I've made contact with a person to give me lessons, but it rained so I couldn't go. Any advice specific to Landrollers, or skating with dogs would be greatly appreciated.
kuhpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:19 AM   #83
the Asocial Ape
thisMachineKillsFascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhpow View Post
...My goal is to skate with my dogs...
heya! i know nothing about landrollers, but i do know about wanting to do stuff with yer dogs.

please keep us posted about your progress with skating with your kids and any tips, tricks, or problems you encounter. ok?

-aApe
the Asocial Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:20 AM   #84
the Asocial Ape
thisMachineKillsFascists

Default heel brake thing!

i can use the heel brake!!!!!!! w00t!
the Asocial Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:28 AM   #85
chad

I've posted some on a couple of the forums, but not here...I don't think!??

I'm almost 55 and have recklessly decided to start skating, again. I've had inlines for a few years, but never really pursued it...my 14 y.o. inheritted the Rollerblades and I just bought a new pair of K2s...like the K2s a lot better!! Something about fit makes a difference.

I've also ordered some R3s for the rink along with the Quadline conversion kit...heck, who knows where this in going to end up?

Real name is David..."Chad" is a handle from a bbq forum...something to do with being from Florida and the 2000 and 2004 Presidential elections!!

I compete in bbq contests around the SE, mostly in FL, but a few in GA and AL...the guys you see on Food Network and OLN/VS/Discovery...yeah, I've been beat by most of them at one time or another...I have placed higher in a category or two, now and then, but no Grand Championships yet!!

I'm hoping to meet up with some members of this forum when I finally start venturing out of the neighborhood...maybe a the Squiggy next year and possibly the Disney...along with sessions on the Pinellas Trail and over at Flatwoods in Tampa.

It's nice finding a forum where all ages, abilities, and styles are accepted and encouraged.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:18 AM   #86
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
I've posted some on a couple of the forums, but not here...I don't think!??

I'm almost 55 and have recklessly decided to start skating, again. I've had inlines for a few years, but never really pursued it...my 14 y.o. inheritted the Rollerblades and I just bought a new pair of K2s...like the K2s a lot better!! Something about fit makes a difference.

I've also ordered some R3s for the rink along with the Quadline conversion kit...heck, who knows where this in going to end up?

Real name is David..."Chad" is a handle from a bbq forum...something to do with being from Florida and the 2000 and 2004 Presidential elections!!

I compete in bbq contests around the SE, mostly in FL, but a few in GA and AL...the guys you see on Food Network and OLN/VS/Discovery...yeah, I've been beat by most of them at one time or another...I have placed higher in a category or two, now and then, but no Grand Championships yet!!

I'm hoping to meet up with some members of this forum when I finally start venturing out of the neighborhood...maybe a the Squiggy next year and possibly the Disney...along with sessions on the Pinellas Trail and over at Flatwoods in Tampa.

It's nice finding a forum where all ages, abilities, and styles are accepted and encouraged.
I love BBQ and especially ribs,,,,mmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,yummy,,,,do you use dry rub or a sauce or both,,,i know some states dont use sauce. i also love the food channel and watch a lot of the bbq contests,,,,,what handle do you cook under. good luck with your next one, hope to see you on tv.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:22 PM   #87
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
I love BBQ and especially ribs,,,,mmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,yummy,,,,do you use dry rub or a sauce or both,,,i know some states dont use sauce. i also love the food channel and watch a lot of the bbq contests,,,,,what handle do you cook under. good luck with your next one, hope to see you on tv.

The team name is "Southern Brethren". I've cooked with "Purple Turtle's Catering" from CT at the Douglas, GA, NBBQA "Best of the Best" Invitational and Open, and with "BBQ-Brethren.com" at the Asbury Park, NJ, "Guitarbeque". I had about 3.5 seconds airtime from "All American Festivals" from Guitarbeque...we took 1st place in brisket!!

For ribs, I season them ahead of time and cook them with no additional sauce. I usually serve them at the table "naked" with sauce on the side. I have no aversion to "dry" or "wet" ribs...in most competition situations we glaze the ribs with a sauce prior to "turn-in".

At home the ribs fall off the bone...not at competitions, though!! Competition meat and meat for the table is kind of like the difference between your personal Chevy and the one Dale, Jr. drives!! They are both good, but different under the hood!!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM   #88
rwsz

Quote:
The team name is "Southern Brethren". I've cooked with "Purple Turtle's Catering" from CT at the Douglas, GA, NBBQA "Best of the Best" Invitational and Open, and with "BBQ-Brethren.com" at the Asbury Park, NJ, "Guitarbeque". I had about 3.5 seconds airtime from "All American Festivals" from Guitarbeque...we took 1st place in brisket!!

For ribs, I season them ahead of time and cook them with no additional sauce. I usually serve them at the table "naked" with sauce on the side. I have no aversion to "dry" or "wet" ribs...in most competition situations we glaze the ribs with a sauce prior to "turn-in".

At home the ribs fall off the bone...not at competitions, though!! Competition meat and meat for the table is kind of like the difference between your personal Chevy and the one Dale, Jr. drives!! They are both good, but different under the hood!!
Sounds great to me,,,,you must be the spotlight at parties outdoor of course. great placements too,,,,the competitions i watch on tv are tough for sure. i will be looking for you at one of the next ones i see under some of those names or put online who your cooking with at the next one going on tv.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:10 PM   #89
rwsz

Quote:

what a great website also,,,,cool. love it
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:41 PM   #90
Detr8it Sk8

Talking new pair of skates

I just bought my first pair of wheels...dominion 712, I know someone is going to ask me what type of wheels...they are fomacs but I couldn't tell you anything else. My question is...when I skate it feels like I don't have as much control over my left foot...I can roll my left foot in a s-like pattern way faster and easier than my right foot....this feels uncomfortable because the rink I skate on takes me counter clockwise. I had my trucks loosened just a bit. I do feel like I have more control now but the wheels seems to veer out faster. I told my teacher and he told me it could be me. I must note that I put a lot of weight on my right leg...that leg is my support. Don't laugh but I can stand on my right leg for long periods(in shoes) of times without problem. SO, I know that my right leg is stronger. Question, should i get my trucks loosened for a third time on that skate...is it possible for one skate to have a "tighter" truck than the other (right foot)?
Detr8it Sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:42 AM   #91
ItsNot2L8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhpow View Post
Any advice specific to Landrollers, or skating with dogs would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know anything about Landrollers (I have quadlines), but am a fan of Cesar Millan, and since I started skating again in January I've never gone without my dog (and never without helmet and pads! I have a 100 lb+ German Shepherd and he could take me for a wild ride if he really wanted to). I wouldn't take him if he weren't well trained, it was just a matter of teaching him to heel not quite as close as usual. I love it, he loves it.

Also I use a Gentle Leader, if something starts to distract him, a very slight tug on the leash brings him back in line without throwing me off balance. I would not recommend skating for dogs that pull on the leash or chase off after squirrels, bicycles, or anything else that moves. You lead, pup follows, and you'll have a great time!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:15 PM   #92
the Asocial Ape
thisMachineKillsFascists

Default chewed up

i wiped out really good tonight! when i went down, i cracked one of my knee pads and in the slide, ground all the way through the other!!!!

heh.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:48 PM   #93
Greenetuckian

Better the knee pads than your knee. Don't worry you will learn how to fall eventually. For now I recommend stronger knee pads
Greenetuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #94
chad

Plastic, elastic, and velcro are easy to replace...same day, too!! Skin and knee caps -- whole different story!!

I don't particularly like wearing pads...but they've saved my tired body more than once...I am a total believer in helmets, though!!

I started riding motorcycles in 1966...no helmet laws, but the deal with my dad was that'd I'd never ride without the helmet...I'm 55 now and Dad has been gone since 1976 -- I still ride with a helmet!! I've seen too many deaths and impairments despite what ABATE and other anti-helmet folks say...several years as a motorcycle safety contact and reading reports and watching films of accidents just cemented my beliefs.

Same with bicycles...I used to ride the roads a lot in Japan and Italy commuting to work...always wore a helmet -- it's amazing the damage you can sustain in a 20mph spill -- we forget that on bicycles you are a several feet in the air and THEN coming down into contact with the road, curb, parking meter, etc. Skaters face a lot of the same damage...curbs, fenceposts, light poles, etc.

OK...off the soapbox! I'll never force my views on others...and I'll do first-responder firstaid on those that don't believe in pads and helmets!!
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #95
the Asocial Ape
thisMachineKillsFascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenetuckian View Post
Better the knee pads than your knee. Don't worry you will learn how to fall eventually. For now I recommend stronger knee pads
going to the skate shop today! i'll give the kids there something to snicker at, dragging my old square ass in there to buy supplies, and ask questions. heh.
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #96
the Asocial Ape
thisMachineKillsFascists

Quote:
...I still ride with a helmet!! ....
if i still had my bike, i would too. funny story - i live in fl too, and before they chgd the helmet law, i use to have motorcycle dreams where i was riding w/o a helmet. now that they've chgd it, i always have one on.

ps - my wife and i grew up in clearwater. i lived in the neighborhood behind the kapok tree!
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #97
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Asocial Ape View Post
if i still had my bike, i would too. funny story - i live in fl too, and before they chgd the helmet law, i use to have motorcycle dreams where i was riding w/o a helmet. now that they've chgd it, i always have one on.

ps - my wife and i grew up in clearwater. i lived in the neighborhood behind the kapok tree!
The Kapok Tree is now a Sam Ash music store...yeah, the WHOLE place!! I grew up over in Polk County -- Bartow...then spent 20 years traveling around courtesy of the Air Force...settled in San Antonio, TX, and then got a chance to move back down here...no regrets.

I wiped out last evening on the K2s...dumb...stupid "v" gutters!! No damage except to my ego...what little I have when I'm on skates! I know "it'll come"...If my R3s get in this week I'll probably take them to the rink to try 'em out with the speed wheels before doing the Quadline Conversion...that'll be a hoot. I'll probably look like an elephant on ice!! The Quadline conversion will be REAL interesting...I ordered the wide axle mod with 100mm wheels!! Whoo hoo!!
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #98
Rods

Hi,

Just want to say, hello, on this welcoming and friendly forum. I'm a complete beginner (although I have a very dim memory of rollerskating when I was about 7 or 8, but I don't think this counts, and I'm now 60).

I've just bought some LandRollers. Today I went out for the first time. I actually managed to skate - of sorts - what I mean is "stay upright"; lots to learn and think I've got shinsplints in one leg already! I bought them for pure pleasure; not to get fit as I do other sports. And nobody around here skates! I saw "one" skater last year.

Just wanted to introduce myself and delighted I'm now on wheels... Wheeee....

Rods
Rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #99
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rods View Post
Hi,

Just want to say, hello, on this welcoming and friendly forum. I'm a complete beginner (although I have a very dim memory of rollerskating when I was about 7 or 8, but I don't think this counts, and I'm now 60).

I've just bought some LandRollers. Today I went out for the first time. I actually managed to skate - of sorts - what I mean is "stay upright"; lots to learn and think I've got shinsplints in one leg already! I bought them for pure pleasure; not to get fit as I do other sports. And nobody around here skates! I saw "one" skater last year.

Just wanted to introduce myself and delighted I'm now on wheels... Wheeee....

Rods
Welcome, welcome back to skating, and congratulations on remaining the verticle position!!

I, too, am a new "member" and recent returnee to skating -- I'm 55 so I think I can safely remind you that "we" don't heal as fast as we used too. Wear safety gear -- most of all...have fun!!
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #100
chad

Whoo hoo!

Got my labs back this morning. I was diagnosed diabetic (type-II) almost three years ago so I get stuck every three months...I had it under control about 18 months ago and then hurt my back carrying out the trash, of all things!! Got to feeling sorry for myself, yada, yada, yada...and regained some weight and the lab results went off the chart.

Anyway, back before Thanksgiving I decided to get back on the wagon...started back on my diabetic diet (no sugars and heavily reduced carbs - bread, rice, cereals, etc. were out -- I can pick my "off the resevations" moments, but they are few a far between) and started walking. I walked a marathon in 2005 and know how well it works re my diabetes.

Well, a few weeks ago I decided to start skating, again, to give me some other activity. Target right now is 30 minutes at a good heart rate on skates, about 3-4 times a week (I have to allow the feet/legs to rest!) and walk the other days...I also use Exerstrider fitness poles (similar to Nordic walking) during my 2-3 mile walks - no poles for 4-6 milers!!

Well, it's working!! I got my labs back this morning and they were great. Word from the doc is "keep doing what you're doing, it's working!"

My weight this morning is 199 (down from about 217 in November - slow and steady loss. My target is 185 by my birthday in mid-July!)

Blood sugar down from 151 to 100
A1C down from 8.11 to 6.2
Total choleterol is 119
Triglycerides down from 148 to 78
LDL up slightly from 42 to 60
HDL up from 32 to 43

Nothing like a strict diabetic (no sugars, really reduced carbs) and getting back to walking (and other exercise) to straighten things out!!

I'm still on meds, but have an appt with the doc next month. Labs again at the end of July - so we'll see how well I can maintain the levels.