S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old September 16th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #21
sharon6pack

Question Only one question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcaptain View Post
Go to my Youtube Channel;click on the ones marked Corn Roast. You will get a sample of what's i store. There are 5 videos now, of the Corn roast, but there will be more posted later this week. It was a great night. Just add Bill to the mix, and WOW. This should be a SUPER Night.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sailcaptain

P.S. The rest of the videos on the Channel, are the 3 Organist, but not together.
Ken
Ok, I watched a few videos, very similar to the Holiday adult sessions. If I can get someone else to go I will consider it. Only one question, can any of these guys play Brick House?

Bob, if I go, you will be able to tell which one I am. If I am doing alot of sitting, come on down. Either way, I hope you all have a great time.
sharon6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #22
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Hope You are Wrong about the Deadness of the ORGAN

Hi Sharon,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon6pack View Post
Hi Dave, I have gone to organ sessions at this
rink before, have skated the full session, and it slowly drove me nuts. o -o
If it drove you nuts it would most likely drive me nutty. I really love that fast and pumping stuff like this song I posted recently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rvrRx-3eUE

I mean we need slow stuff too yet I mostly love the pumping music and beat.

At my young age, my one friend named MichaelB used to play the organ at our Skate Place near WilkesBarre, PA and he could play modern music.

SO AGAIN I hope you are wrong about the deadness of Organ Music and this get together. YET If they like it I guess we can go elsewhere and they can really enjoy themselves.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #23
Organ Grinder

Default Clarification

Greetings!

I just want to clarify that JAMBOREE '09 will be a regular session with couples, waltzs, two-steps, step-up couples and several sets of dance steps. But the all skates will be mostly shuffle, along with some "cool down" tempos. I wanted to emphasize the "shuffle" skating because several skaters from the PA/NJ area have gone down south to another organ jamboree only to be disappointed because there was very little shuffle music played. Our October jamboree is an alternative to the "other jamboree." Holiday will host this jamboree every year. We thought it was appropriate to invite Bill Clark to the first one, since he is "The Legend!" In the following years we will invite many other popular rink organists, so stay tuned!!!

Sharon, you started alot of discussion with your reply. I think that's great! That's what a forum is for and I appreciate your sincerity. I know I speak for Ralph and Bill - we don't try to be everything to everybody. All we're doing is carrying on a tradition that was started back in the 1950's . Shuffle skating branched out from organ music in the late 1970's and you have skaters who still like to shuffle to traditional organ music and those who like to shuffle or jam skate to today's recordings. I think there's room for both and it's great that everyone can choose. We have taken the traditional Hammond organ and added modern keyboards and drum machines, but we mostly play the songs of the 40's through 70"s, with some 80's and country music thrown in. I'm sorry to say that you won't hear Brick House, even though it's a great tune. But I think you'll hear some rockin' tunes, and if they don't get you in the grove, take Bob up on his offer. At least you gave it a shot with an open mind and I appreciate you doing that. If you come, be sure to say hello to me.

Take care everybody - see you in October.

Marty
Organ Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #24
sharon6pack

Wink Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organ Grinder View Post
Greetings!

I just want to clarify that JAMBOREE '09 will be a regular session with couples, waltzs, two-steps, step-up couples and several sets of dance steps. But the all skates will be mostly shuffle, along with some "cool down" tempos. I wanted to emphasize the "shuffle" skating because several skaters from the PA/NJ area have gone down south to another organ jamboree only to be disappointed because there was very little shuffle music played. Our October jamboree is an alternative to the "other jamboree." Holiday will host this jamboree every year. We thought it was appropriate to invite Bill Clark to the first one, since he is "The Legend!" In the following years we will invite many other popular rink organists, so stay tuned!!!

Sharon, you started alot of discussion with your reply. I think that's great! That's what a forum is for and I appreciate your sincerity. I know I speak for Ralph and Bill - we don't try to be everything to everybody. All we're doing is carrying on a tradition that was started back in the 1950's . Shuffle skating branched out from organ music in the late 1970's and you have skaters who still like to shuffle to traditional organ music and those who like to shuffle or jam skate to today's recordings. I think there's room for both and it's great that everyone can choose. We have taken the traditional Hammond organ and added modern keyboards and drum machines, but we mostly play the songs of the 40's through 70"s, with some 80's and country music thrown in. I'm sorry to say that you won't hear Brick House, even though it's a great tune. But I think you'll hear some rockin' tunes, and if they don't get you in the grove, take Bob up on his offer. At least you gave it a shot with an open mind and I appreciate you doing that. If you come, be sure to say hello to me.

Take care everybody - see you in October.

Marty
Hi Marty, I appreciate that you realize I am not trying to start any trouble, I have the utmost respect for organ players and skaters, and the history of shuffling. Heck I have met some GREAT people in the last 6 months due to shuffle skating. I thank you for spelling out what exactly will be at this session, you mention folks being disappointed, that was my experience at an event at Holiday over the summer. So no Brick House But I may show and either have a decent time, or end up taking Bob's offer.

Thanks again.
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #25
CHSC FLOOR GUARD
"East of the MISSISSIPPI"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon6pack View Post
Hi Marty, I appreciate that you realize I am not trying to start any trouble, I have the utmost respect for organ players and skaters, and the history of shuffling. Heck I have met some GREAT people in the last 6 months due to shuffle skating. I thank you for spelling out what exactly will be at this session, you mention folks being disappointed, that was my experience at an event at Holiday over the summer. So no Brick House But I may show and either have a decent time, or end up taking Bob's offer.

Thanks again.
Yeah...Im looking forward to it...my parents and even grandparents who skated to some of these organ players said that the organ music,beat,tempo,etc back then was almost the equivalent of the "Freestyle" music that I learned to shuffle to when I was a kid. "It just had the right beat" as they would say.

Marty did you ever play at 2nd Street Pike in Warminster,PA??
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #26
Organ Grinder

Floor Guard,

I played at PIKE ROLLARENA in Southampton PA in 1974 & 1975. Bill Clark also played at PIKE from around 1959 til 1968.

Marty
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #27
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Picking Up the Beat, Once or Twice

Hi Organ Grinder, Corey,
both from the State of my Birth in Skating.

I really thought about leaving this tread/thread alone since it seems to be concluded YET I have a song that you Organ Grinders could play as your second song after that killer first traditional warm up song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Sc2ojSbnI

Now many of us once were that age in this song/video, yet when I go to skating at Skateland in Haverhill and others to Chez Vous in Boston it always seems like once again all of us from just past 18 to past 60 are the same. And The Late 30's to 60's have the greatest speed and antics.

SO Anyway Skate Organists think of this as your second song. You could do justice to it on one of these new electrical organs.

Edit-01: Sometime this week the Boston.com, Boston Globe Reporters will show some of the stuff at Skateland in Haverhill/Bradford. My one bud Kevin had an interview outside, yet I know he didn't tell them that his Feet are Killing him and he like me has to fix this problem of long time hard skaters. My shirt with Boston on it may also be in the video piece. They recorded so much I have no idea what they will edit. I couldn't believe that some of them (women) took their cameras on the floor. I mean we skate fast and furious and that was kind of dangerous.

Edit-02: For DrWho watchers you will recognize the ending segment of the above video. Now I have watched a lot of Dr Who's yet her and Sarah were probably the best companions of the Doctor from GalaFree (spelling?). I know in the UK there was quite a ruckus about the dying off of her on the series.

Edit-03: I wonder how much the Kinks influenced this band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvyDWGF290M

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; September 18th, 2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Forgot something with Olds Hymers
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #28
CHSC FLOOR GUARD
"East of the MISSISSIPPI"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organ Grinder View Post
Floor Guard,

I played at PIKE ROLLARENA in Southampton PA in 1974 & 1975. Bill Clark also played at PIKE from around 1959 til 1968.

Marty
Thats really cool. Yes my parents skated to your music...they met there and my father,uncle and aunt won awards there. Im looking forward to this session.
Old September 19th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #29
retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSC FLOOR GUARD View Post
Thats really cool. Yes my parents skated to your music...they met there and my father,uncle and aunt won awards there. Im looking forward to this session.
My heavens....they met there? You may owe your very life to a rink organist!Actually, so do my kids, I met their Mother while skating to the music of Bill Clark in 1972. I took my 24 year old to an organ session at Sportsmans, and he, and his soon to be wife were amazed how much they enjoyed it. We have to figure out a way for us Skateloggers to identify ourselfs, maybe get a group picture!

Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #30
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Haverhill, MA Skating - - Oh Well

Hi ALL,

Here is A link to the story about us skating in Haverhill. I am still looking for all the video they took. I like and have known these two young men for many years and yes they are quite good.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ack_the_years/

Old September 25th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #31
Kwite-Tite
Ancient Flea Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post
....they met there? You may owe your very life to a rink organist!........
Nah!! I would have married her anyway! Yup, I'm CHSC Floor Guard's old man ( literally). His mother and I met when we were 15. Her parents would bring her up so they could skate to Bill Clark's music. This was 1966. We'll be married 37 years on Sep 30th. I know I'm sounding like an O.F., but times were much simpler back then. You met a girl, fell in love, and got married typically in your early 20's jst as we did. One car, one TV, and skating on Saturday night.

As a kid, I was the consummate rink rat spending many hours per week at Pike Rollarena in Southampton, PA. I even slept there one night on the organ stage after a late night invitational meet, and an early event the next morning. I was coached by Rennie Dickens, Sue and Theo, the Murphys, and Marlene Woodard. Bill knew my parents by name, and I'm pretty sure that Marty would remember my siblings Stephanie, Scott and Lorraine as they were really into it in the early 70's while I was really into going out with my future wife.

I have treasured memories of steaming around the rink as a young teenager in a pack of 8-12 Flea hoppers led by floor guard Izzy Oberman who on each lap would signal a different "move" which included 2 wheel splits, skate clacking, spins, or a leg up on the farside railing.

Anyone remember how Bill would pull out 2 oranges, and play the best flea hopping bounce you'd ever want to hear? How about the first night he showed up with a beat box? That revolutionized flea hopping music. There's nothing like the sound of an overdriven Hammond B3, several Leslie 122 sound cabinets positioned around the floor and an old fashion beat box........

Last edited by Kwite-Tite; September 25th, 2009 at 08:08 PM.
Kwite-Tite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #32
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Dang the Link Updated

Hi ALL, Organ Grinder, Corey from WhiteHall,
CHSC Floor Guard's Dad

When I first posted the above link it had two young men on it doing Jam Skating. Now it has the video of our Annie with a couple of guys thrown in the mix. One of them sweats like a pig and works and works when he skates.

In many years this is probably the most I have ever heard Annie talk. At the beginning when you watched guys wisk past I was the one with the white shirt with the stuff on it and Bob a much younger roller bladder man and dad of a few was behind me in our chain skate.

On the Globe I will soon comment on the angle for their story. It misses a lot of what Skateland and skating is to each of the skaters from 18 to past 60 to 79+

Old September 26th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #33
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Hotel Suggestions / Other

Hi OrganGrinder, Corey from WhiteHall,

Anyone from out of town staying at any particular hotel, motel?

Flyers???
Anyone have a link to a pdf file on this event??

Old September 26th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #34
retread

Here ya go Dave, Ralph Brown e mailed this to me today, hotels in the area:

http://www.yellowpages.com/Delanco-N...&sort=distance

I'll see if I can find the flyer, I'm sure he sent one a few weeks ago.

Bob
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #35
Organ Grinder

Smile Two weeks & counting...

Greetings all,

It's hard to believe that there's only 2 weeks until JAMBOREE '09! For those of you who attended the Mt. Gretna session last week - Thank You! It was a terrific crowd and everyone had a great time. Ralph and I really appreciate your support.

JAMBOREE '09 is definitely shaping up to the skating event of the decade. I've heard from organ skaters all over the country that are planning on attending. I'm sure it's going to be an awesome session!

See you at the JAMBOREE!!

Marty
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #36
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default AGAIN on Hotels

Hi Bob, Ralph Brown, OrganGrinder, Corey f/WhiteHall, , , even Rgna

Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post
Here ya go Dave, Ralph Brown e mailed this to me today, hotels in the area: Bob
Thanks Bob (retread), My wife can find a hotel for sure near our son who lives around Levitown (just to the East of Philly) or up a little higher north. Now remember he used to live closer in to Philly by that Huge Mall so I got to skate at the Palace on Roosevelt Ave once when taking care of him..It was cute with me driving his treasured SUV.

Anyway, I thought what the HEY...
If some of us out-of-towners stay at the same hotel we can enjoy each other before and after a good Organ Skate. Usually at skating I don't talk much, I skate so this would give me a chance to chit chat Pennsylvania style.

My wife is bugging me already so she can book the Hotel.

SO Any Takers on a Favorite Hotel??

Old September 27th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #37
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Again on Flyers

Hi Still Bob, OrganGrinder, Corey from PA-145 (7th Street)

I have some people I skate with that have recently came back from a skating vacation that includer Perth Amboy, Staten Island, Other. They may have even been to the Holiday Skate place a few years ago.

In general my fellow/fellowee roller skaters are an unusual crowd - SO - SO - I would like to give them a Flyer so that they can decide themselves whether to trek on down to South of Trenton.

Old September 27th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #38
retread

Hi Dave
Unfortnately, I've got to be at work Monday morning (6:00) so I've got to drive home after the session. I hope we can all get together there!

Bob
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #39
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Bob I Hear You..

Hi Bob,

Up here the group has an after skating get together at a local eating place "99'.

I have never attended ONLY because I have a long drive back and I don't have the extra time to spend. I once went to one of these eat-afters, a long distance away, and geez I could not stay awake driving home which was scary.

Now Bob are you sure you have work on Monday. Some people up here in MA have it off for Columbus Day..

SO, An Eat After at a Local Place is Good for me.
You could always make a cameo appearance.

Old September 30th, 2009, 01:41 AM   #40
sharon6pack

Default I'm still here . . .

Yes this event is getting close, and a good friend of mine, CHSC is attending. Still on the fence. Bob is your offer still on the table? If I end up at RollerJam the night before all bets are off.