S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old April 17th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #1
MikeQ
Rental Skates

Default How to Spin On Your Toes

I just got my pair of limited edition g80s, what most of the refs at our rink has..and i always see them spinning on there toes..could anyone explain how to do this to me? I can somewhat do it now, but im afraid im not using the correct technique.

Thanks in advance..
Mike
MikeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #2
sereneheart81

Hi ,
is g80 a quad skate? Apologies, not answering ur qn, but just my own question.

Regards
serenmeheart81
sereneheart81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #3
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default How do you do it.

Hi Mike,

I can spin on my toes, not as great as many I have seen, yet I am more interested in how you do it. You might be doing it OK.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #4
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I'm interested too! I think its really all about balance. But I honestly dont know since I cant do it yet. I do spins on toes-right foot, heels left foot only now. But thats just putting weight on those wheels. I'm not sure yet how to get good at balancing on your toes either. I think my slippery wheels dont help. I hope others respond..........I want to learn this too!!
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #5
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi Mike,

I can spin on my toes, not as great as many I have seen, yet I am more interested in how you do it. You might be doing it OK.

actually many skaters that spin on their toes use toe stops also, its ok in jam skating and disco skating but not acceptable in the art world.
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #6
roller_dudette
skate addict!

So in the art world, there is no allowance for creativity, just sticking with a set list? Its all about doing certain jumps/movements in a certain sequence in one set way and in perfect form? I guess the sport then never evolves from the classical movements? Can one differ through the dance part? I've never had an opportunity to go to a roller skating competition, sorry for my ignorance.
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #7
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
So in the art world, there is no allowance for creativity, just sticking with a set list? Its all about doing certain jumps/movements in a certain sequence in one set way and in perfect form? I guess the sport then never evolves from the classical movements? Can one differ through the dance part? I've never had an opportunity to go to a roller skating competition, sorry for my ignorance.
there is allowance for cretivity and its part of the b part, the a mark would be content and the art skaters tend to spin on edges that get points for it. if a skater comes up with new content its rewarded, but any of the art single skaters could spin on the toe stops so it could be part of a program but not rewarded as an item. as in ice, there are so many jumps or spins you can do so thats what they do. the dance is different when it comes to the original dance and the free dance, in the set dances there is very little creativity, with the exception of some arm movements and more in the world class area.
some people are amazed at what they see at a competition, especially a national or world competition where the defree of skating is more difficult.
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #8
MikeQ
Rental Skates

I appologize if this is in the wrong forum...when i attempt to do it..i kinda just hop up on my toes and spin for dear life. :P I usually end up landing in a sitting position unfortunately. And yes the skate im talking about is a g80 limited edition speed skate.
MikeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #9
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
actually many skaters that spin on their toes use toe stops also, its ok in jam skating and disco skating but not acceptable in the art world.

Thanks for the clearing up on this idea, boy I was wondering and wanting to see this artistic version pronto.
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #10
cloviek
Ernesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeQ View Post
I just got my pair of limited edition g80s, what most of the refs at our rink has..and i always see them spinning on there toes..could anyone explain how to do this to me? I can somewhat do it now, but im afraid im not using the correct technique.

Thanks in advance..
Mike
This is my technique, it may or not be correct.

When I spin, it depends which way I am spinning as to which wheels are on the ground. When I start off spinning counter-clockwise it is easier to start the rotation on all fours favoring the inside wheels of the right foot more so favoring the heel, and the outside wheels of the left foot more so favoring the toe. After approximately the first half turn with my hands extended to slow me down until I get stabilized, then pull my hands in slowly which causes my rotational speed to increase. Then I slowly shift the wheels as needed for the spin. If I spin counter-clockwise (during the spin) my right heel wheels are on the floor and my left front wheels are on the floor. After I get spinning reasonably fast, the stabilizing force usually keeps me in one spot on the floor similar to a top. If the spin is clockwise then the wheel position is the opposite.

Ernie
cloviek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #11
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
Thanks for the clearing up on this idea, boy I was wondering and wanting to see this artistic version pronto.
Well, in my rink the few that can do it wear jam plugs so theres no toe stop involved.

rwsz - thanks for that post! This coming up fall/winter, there is going to be a lot of testing, etc. of the top skaters in the area. So a few of us are going to see it! Its such a shame that roller skating isnt a sport that is viewable on TV. Not many people know much about it. Maybe its on cable, I donno, guess I'm one of the few people in this world thats never gotten it. I rarely watch TV anywaz.

We have one girl in our rink, shes going to nationals. But sometimes shes there in the morning practicing. Sometimes with her partner. Thats the best! When he lifts her, her foot practically hits the ceiling. I love it when he throws her too! I guess I really like to see the jumps and spins the best. Nothing wrong with the basic dance skating, but it just doesnt rock my boat.

I take ballet some too. I wasnt sure if skating was like that. Its weird, at my studio all the girls have long hair in a bun, basically all look the same, dance the same, same dress, etc. I personally enjoy a little more creativity, individuality, not conformity. OK, enough said, lol.
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #12
rwsz

Quote:
Well, in my rink the few that can do it wear jam plugs so theres no toe stop involved.

rwsz - thanks for that post! This coming up fall/winter, there is going to be a lot of testing, etc. of the top skaters in the area. So a few of us are going to see it! Its such a shame that roller skating isnt a sport that is viewable on TV. Not many people know much about it. Maybe its on cable, I donno, guess I'm one of the few people in this world thats never gotten it. I rarely watch TV anywaz.

We have one girl in our rink, shes going to nationals. But sometimes shes there in the morning practicing. Sometimes with her partner. Thats the best! When he lifts her, her foot practically hits the ceiling. I love it when he throws her too! I guess I really like to see the jumps and spins the best. Nothing wrong with the basic dance skating, but it just doesnt rock my boat.

I take ballet some too. I wasnt sure if skating was like that. Its weird, at my studio all the girls have long hair in a bun, basically all look the same, dance the same, same dress, etc. I personally enjoy a little more creativity, individuality, not conformity. OK, enough said, lol.

sounds like your watching pairs skating at your rink when shes practicing, cool, a lot harder then it looks lol. what level does she and her partner skate at going to nationals. not many pairs teams left in this country. like you i prefer the jumps and spins and a good program.
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #13
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I dont know the level. Actually, shes going alone. Shes only 13 too! Shes what I call a power skater!! Really beautiful to watch her. Shes been competing 8 yrs I think. Her name is Kaitlyn in case you've heard of her. I'm new to this. My parents never had much money for us as kids, so I only skated 2-3 times as a child. I did go ice skating a few times tho and loved it! Now I live to skate and try to set aside whatever money I can for equipment and lessons.

But I'm just amazed at her, total awe. She does 2 push offs, goes into a FAST powerful spin with her leg in the air. She does double and triples, falls constantly, like a SMACK fall, gets back up doesnt even flinch. I SMACK, gotta take a breathe or two to get going. But I"m older unfortunately. So not so sure if I can do jumps like that. I guess your body gets used to it though?

She owns THREE pairs of skates just for indoors. One freestyle, one for tight curves, one dance. I think $1000 each pair too. My friends want me to go into pairs skating just because I'm small and light and they would LOOOOOOVE to see me be thrown to the other side of the rink, lol. I donno. I was a very good competitive distance runner. We are known for stamina, not power and jumps.

But I'm doing a little plyometrics at home to get my body/mind used to the idea of jumping because if possible, I really want to do jumps and spins like crazy. Who knows...... I actually just wanted to learn how to stop and spin around in lessons, didnt know it would be so addictive and I would pick up on it so quickly. The dance skating is OK. But I consider that more training/control for something bigger and greater. Shhhhh.....dont tell anyone, lol!

The waltz jumps seem hard to me now tho. Even holding the spins is hard. But the edges were hard when I first started. I thought it would take a year to get them and then 2 months later they were easy. But now I'm not so tight on the waltz jumps. I just need to losen up some more though so I twist my shoulders more and land the landing better! Finally got one foot backwards skating down. I think it will take me a year to learn the basic jumps but in 2 months maybe things will change. It seems like you struggle, then make a leap. I get SOOO excited over those leaps! Its like one day you wake up and its easy. I come home skipping like a 12 year old hitting the lottery, rofl! Yeah, I LOVE skating. I'd rather do it tho honestly then watch it. It feels really good. I guess the happy endorphins get released and life is GREAT!
Old April 18th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #14
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default I guess this sub-forum is OK

Hi Again MikeQ,

Thanks for posting, since I was looking for how you did it since you already are achieving some measure of success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeQ View Post
I appologize if this is in the wrong forum...when i attempt to do it..i kinda just hop up on my toes and spin for dear life. :P I usually end up landing in a sitting position unfortunately. And yes the skate im talking about is a g80 limited edition speed skate.
I guess you are right that this isn't really an Artistic move, at least as far as I know from watching. Yet I think in terms of training methodology artistic skaters can add value via their learning and training techniques. It isn't really Jam either yet probably closer to Jam since they like funky stuff. Not a lot of poise and presentation in toe spinning unless done at the end of a dance, show routine.

For me, I think you are coming along learning this move quite well. Your landing coming to a nice sit position that doesn't hurt you shows you have falling skills which is GREAT. I always compliment skaters that try something and land like a feather when they don't succeed.

The only training advise I will give you is try skating sideways on your toes and try skating forwards on your toes and do pull ups and chin ups to build upper body strength.

Old April 18th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #15
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default This might be my/our Ernie

Hey, MikeQ, Ernie,

This wouldn't be the Ernie that is still fixing his one arm or wrist with that cast or help, that skated at the Beverly Skate Jam with us in March.

For others if this is this Ernie, Ernie loves to spin and does it quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloviek View Post
This is my technique, it may or not be correct.

When I spin, it depends which way I am spinning as to which wheels are on the ground. When I start off spinning counter-clockwise it is easier to start the rotation on all fours favoring the inside wheels of the right foot more so favoring the heel, and the outside wheels of the left foot more so favoring the toe. After approximately the first half turn with my hands extended to slow me down until I get stabilized, then pull my hands in slowly which causes my rotational speed to increase. Then I slowly shift the wheels as needed for the spin. If I spin counter-clockwise (during the spin) my right heel wheels are on the floor and my left front wheels are on the floor. After I get spinning reasonably fast, the stabilizing force usually keeps me in one spot on the floor similar to a top. If the spin is clockwise then the wheel position is the opposite. Ernie
Old April 18th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #16
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Yes this is my/our Spinning Ernie

Hi MikeQ,
and Cloviek,

Well I have determined in advance of Ernesto's response to this tread that this is our/my MA/RI Ernie and he can SPIN and SPIN and SPIN. We have another guy in the Boston area that is taller than Ernie and he can do the same and loves his toes. I do know several others.

And yes Roller Dudette, No toe stops for these spinning dudes.

I checked out some of Ernie's older posts and yes he's my spinning man.

Old April 18th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #17
cloviek
Ernesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi MikeQ,
and Cloviek,

Well I have determined in advance of Ernesto's response to this tread that this is our/my MA/RI Ernie and he can SPIN and SPIN and SPIN. We have another guy in the Boston area that is taller than Ernie and he can do the same and loves his toes. I do know several others.

And yes Roller Dudette, No toe stops for these spinning dudes.

I checked out some of Ernie's older posts and yes he's my spinning man.

The crowd is really great at skateland in Bradford but it is 90 miles from my house. It takes me over an hour and a half to drive one way because I usually pick up mo and we both go together. Thats three hours driving time to go skating for two hours and a half. I'll be going back there when the summer begins. Right now I am going to Ocean Club in Narragansett instead because it is a lot closer. Tell all my friends I am looking forward to seeing them. I do miss the chats we had at dunkin' donuts. With 30 miles per gallon at present gas costs = $15.00 in gas + another 20 minutes in driving to 99 restaurant (and back)+ snacks, drinks + skating admission takes a nice bite out of my wallet.

Ernie
cloviek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #18
rwsz

Quote:
I dont know the level. Actually, shes going alone. Shes only 13 too! Shes what I call a power skater!! Really beautiful to watch her. Shes been competing 8 yrs I think. Her name is Kaitlyn in case you've heard of her. I'm new to this. My parents never had much money for us as kids, so I only skated 2-3 times as a child. I did go ice skating a few times tho and loved it! Now I live to skate and try to set aside whatever money I can for equipment and lessons.

But I'm just amazed at her, total awe. She does 2 push offs, goes into a FAST powerful spin with her leg in the air. She does double and triples, falls constantly, like a SMACK fall, gets back up doesnt even flinch. I SMACK, gotta take a breathe or two to get going. But I"m older unfortunately. So not so sure if I can do jumps like that. I guess your body gets used to it though?

She owns THREE pairs of skates just for indoors. One freestyle, one for tight curves, one dance. I think $1000 each pair too. My friends want me to go into pairs skating just because I'm small and light and they would LOOOOOOVE to see me be thrown to the other side of the rink, lol. I donno. I was a very good competitive distance runner. We are known for stamina, not power and jumps.

But I'm doing a little plyometrics at home to get my body/mind used to the idea of jumping because if possible, I really want to do jumps and spins like crazy. Who knows...... I actually just wanted to learn how to stop and spin around in lessons, didnt know it would be so addictive and I would pick up on it so quickly. The dance skating is OK. But I consider that more training/control for something bigger and greater. Shhhhh.....dont tell anyone, lol!

The waltz jumps seem hard to me now tho. Even holding the spins is hard. But the edges were hard when I first started. I thought it would take a year to get them and then 2 months later they were easy. But now I'm not so tight on the waltz jumps. I just need to losen up some more though so I twist my shoulders more and land the landing better! Finally got one foot backwards skating down. I think it will take me a year to learn the basic jumps but in 2 months maybe things will change. It seems like you struggle, then make a leap. I get SOOO excited over those leaps! Its like one day you wake up and its easy. I come home skipping like a 12 year old hitting the lottery, rofl! Yeah, I LOVE skating. I'd rather do it tho honestly then watch it. It feels really good. I guess the happy endorphins get released and life is GREAT!

no i dont know her, one of the younger skaters, at nationals i seen the senior and world class skaters the past few years because of the setup almost by age and level of skating. she sounds like she works hard and thats good.

as far as your waltz jump, just relax, its not a very difficult jump. you will learn it quickly. i dont know how old you are but that plays a factor also. if you really want to learn these items correctly take a lesson when you can afford one from a pro or else you will develope bad habits. good luck.
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:43 AM   #19
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Another Toe Spinning training

Hi Again MikeQ,

Just this past Thursday I spent some time watching another skater that does toe spins. I watched him just for you MikeQ.

In addition to what Cloviek(Ernesto) gave you and my note on training this could be another training technique that you might consider.

Get up on your toes about shoulder width apart.

One foot well in front of the other to give you balance.

Now using your shoulders and hips, spin to reverse your foot positions.
Keep going back and forth so you feel comfortable with reverses.

From here you can practice going all around on your toes.

Old April 21st, 2007, 04:00 AM   #20
roller_dudette
skate addict!

So the trick is to strattle the feet? I was keeping the right under my shoulders. It seems to balance on your heels, you just tighten up your legs and butt and go out at an angle. This one guy skates only on his toes down the rink, shuffling. Hes pretty good!