S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old December 16th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #1
GregT

Default * Naomi Grigg Freestyle Slalom Retreat: Miami Feb7-11, 2011 *

New to slalom and interested in learning the fundamentals quickly? Long-time slalomer that wants to tweak some elements or improve your style? Somewhere in between?

If any of the above describe your slalom life and you would like to improve loads in a short period of time, I highly recommend you give Naomi Grigg's Slalom Retreat a try.

Interested in learning more? Read Naomi's description of her Miami Retreat here:

http://www.skatefreestyle.com/worksh...om_retreat.asp

I've participated in all Naomi's Retreats, and Miami is definitely my favorite. The practice location is great, the instruction is intensive, and the time between sessions at the shared living space w/ other skaters is very fun and laid back. And did I mention it's warm? Like, in February?

The UK's Naomi Grigg, former World #3 slalomer, is probably the slalom world's most well known freestyle instructor. For years, Naomi has brought her popular weekend Slalom Workshops to cities across Europe, Asia, Australia, and the U.S.. Here is one Scottish skating site's review of her weekend workshop:

http://tryskating.com/view_newslette...9uZG9uIEphbjEw

In 2009, Naomi created a new "Slalom Retreat" concept. Naomi designed her Retreats to allow a much more immersive learning environment for slalom. Retreat participants spend a week living/eating/skating/hanging out together. Each day, skaters learn all day (9-5pm) plus a one-on-one video review of their progress at the end of the evening. The number of students is kept small so that Naomi can taylor instruction to the needs/goals of each individual skater.

The following interview with British SkateFreestyle team member Jack Nichols describes his experience at last year's Great Esskate and Freestyle Slalom Retreat:

http://ukfsa.org/wordpress/?p=33

And for the more visually-oriented. Here is a Dadaist tone poem, created as an homage to Naomi's 2010 Belgium Freestyle Slalom Retreat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZjOX...layer_embedded

Those crazy Europeans.

Really, I do highly recommend Naomi's Retreat for anyone that wants to really make a positive impact on their Freestyle skating. Naomi is a great teacher, and the Retreat format is very producting while still being lots of fun. Feel free to post any questions you might have here. You could also try PMing Naomi directly (or you can ask me and I'll answer if I know). You can register for the Retreat here:

http://www.skatefreestyle.com/shop/workshops.asp

Hope to see you in Miami!
-greg
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #2
GregT

Ok. Just in case you are still missing just how cool the Miami Freestyle Slalom Retreat is, I'm posting some photos of past Miami Retreats below. I've also included a couple from the Great Esskate as well.

I don't generally take pictures at the Retreat, so all the following photos were borrowed from other skaters, with permission.

[Photo by JackN] - Start off w/ weekend of fun at the best US social skating event of the year - The Great Esskate (optional - not part of the Retreat). Esskate organizers provide some great group road skates and plenty of activitites to do between the skates.

[Photo by LisaM] - Atlanta skaters + Naomi have lunch on outdoor patio of Mediteranean restaurant on Ocean Drive (Retreat practice spot is actually just across the street).

[Photo by GrantD] - Sometimes there is even a slalom demo or mini-Battle competition during the Esskate weekend. Here Denni, SkateFreestyle team member and Retreat participant shows his stuff.

[Photo by KirstenL] - Naomi hangs SkateFreestyle Retreat banner in Big Brother House (our shared apartment) to rally the troops.

[Photo by Brownie] - Sunset after a long day slaloming at idealic practice spot. Yeah, that's the beach to your left.

[Photo by GrantD] - Students ponder Naomi's words or wisdom. Though I think Jack is actually just picking his nose.

[Photo by KirstenL] - Students rest in shade during break at alternate practice location (too much wind at beach location that day).

[Photo by KirstenL] - Imagine their embarrasment when Naomi and Kirsten showed up to dinner wearing matching boxing gloves.

[Photo by Brownie] - Each day ends with a one-on-one video review. This is where Naomi exacts revenge for the all the crap skating you subjected her to during the earlier sessions. Apparently it's the highlight of her day.

[Photo by Brownie] - Retreat participants hang out at the Big Brother house. Note that one skater gets voted out of the house each day. Of course, we got rid of Noami first.

[Photo by Brownie] - End of another successful Retreat!

Last edited by GregT; January 28th, 2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: corrected some egregious, unholy errors.
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #3
InlineLeo

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I wish Naomi released more videos, it would be great both for publicity and for people like me who'd never get a chance of seeing it all live because of their location
InlineLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:24 PM   #4
GregT

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineLeo View Post
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I wish Naomi released more videos, it would be great both for publicity and for people like me who'd never get a chance of seeing it all live because of their location
Yeah, Noami's not one to carry a video or photo camera (except for the video review footage, which is just between her and her students). And the riders are generally too tired after a long day's learning to take photos as well. That, and we really get into the laid back, no-worries lifestyle of the locals during our off-time.

Often, the group sends out emails among ourselves about how much we enjoyed it, thanks, etc, but we don't normally publish that stuff on the web. Maybe someone will record bits of this Retreat and post it afterward. Until then, y'all just have to use your imagination.
Old December 24th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #5
jojoman

envy you guys!

merry christmas!
i just took ICP level 1, hope i pass
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #6
GregT

Thanks jojoman. Good luck w/ the exam!
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #7
jojoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
Thanks jojoman. Good luck w/ the exam!
i failed the exam...got to retake next year april or may or june......
so sad...

time to put this aside and learn more sliding like acid, soul, ufo and parallel slide.

and also invest time into slalom
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #8
GregT

Sorry to hear that dude. Better luck next year.

Slides cost wheels and skin. I suggest you stick with slalom.