S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old February 13th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #1
Boarddesign

Default turning long lasers

I wear a size 13 595, I'm running D/A laser plates. I've loosened them up quite a bit and still cant get enough turning out of them. I'm guessing it's due to the length of my plate? Maybe where it's placed. I have the size 11 (laser size) plate on them.

What to do?
Boarddesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarddesign View Post
I wear a size 13 595, I'm running D/A laser plates. I've loosened them up quite a bit and still cant get enough turning out of them. I'm guessing it's due to the length of my plate? Maybe where it's placed. I have the size 11 (laser size) plate on them.

What to do?
I'm sorry to heat that, but not surprised. I had essentially the same experience with a DA Laser and @ the time had a large assortment of the old DA urethane cushions. I spent a bit of time trying to get them to behave like I wanted them to and could not pull it off to my complete satisfaction.. If you have the black rubber cushions I would say your options are even more limited, since the old urethane DA parts are very hard to find..

As to the plate length, Laser said that your size boot should have a 11.1 plate with an 8 3/16" wheel base. I know of no human being that needs that much wheelbase. I have a very good customer that has a 7 1/4" Snyder Imperial lite on his 14s, so you could go shorter.

Before looking into that, I would suggest going to the SA trucks. That is what I did and was much happier with the sk8s' response. Of course, I had access to the good Laser urethane cushions. Fortunately those an still be found with some digging.

Step 1 get the SA trucks
Step 2 get a 2X whammy cushion kit
Step 3 If the first 2 don't help get a shorter plate. a 10.0 or 10.1 is where I would go.

Hope this helps.
Old February 13th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #3
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
I'm sorry to heat that, but not surprised. I had essentially the same experience with a DA Laser and @ the time had a large assortment of the old DA urethane cushions. I spent a bit of time trying to get them to behave like I wanted them to and could not pull it off to my complete satisfaction.. If you have the black rubber cushions I would say your options are even more limited, since the old urethane DA parts are very hard to find..

As to the plate length, Laser said that your size boot should have a 11.1 plate with an 8 3/16" wheel base. I know of no human being that needs that much wheelbase. I have a very good customer that has a 7 1/4" Snyder Imperial lite on his 14s, so you could go shorter.

Before looking into that, I would suggest going to the SA trucks. That is what I did and was much happier with the sk8s' response. Of course, I had access to the good Laser urethane cushions. Fortunately those an still be found with some digging.

Step 1 get the SA trucks
Step 2 get a 2X whammy cushion kit
Step 3 If the first 2 don't help get a shorter plate. a 10.0 or 10.1 is where I would go.

Hope this helps.
I can add a +1 to this as well. I have S/A trucks on mine that my son is currently skating. Even though I'm using UII trucks I did the Double Whammy deal on them and he is happy now. He likes them now better than the Snyder Advantages he did have.
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #4
Boarddesign

Who makes to U2 S/A trucks? I've looked for them with little luck.
Boarddesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #5
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Search the community here for Skategeek79 and email him. He has an email address in his sig. He has some. They'll be either bare or with axles, with or without cushions blah blah. Once you make contact with him just tell him what you need. But I'd get the trucks with axles and cushions and then go about locating the Double Whammy setups next.
Old February 14th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Exclamation Just between you, me and the wall....

UII trucks take the "1 inch" OD cushions used on UIIs, UVs, Cobras/Scorpions, Black Diamond and Sunlite SA plates. (There are some real oldies like the SA Chicago Velvet tread that use similar.) The inner cushions which are the standard Laser urethane cushions in the 2X Whammy kit are the 7/8". I do not use Laser cushions with the UII trucks since it puts more load on the slot in the center of the truck than the original set up..

In other words, while the 2X Whammy cushions "work" on the UII truck, they are not the best choice for the conversion. YMMV.

Last edited by Doc Sk8; February 14th, 2014 at 07:01 PM.
Doc Sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #7
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
UII trucks take the "1 inch" OD cushions used on UIIs, UVs, Cobras/Scorpions, Black Diamond and Sunlite SA plates. (There are some real oldies like the SA Chicago Velvet tread that use similar.) The inner cushions which are the standard Laser urethane cushions in the 2X Whammy kit are the 7/8". I do nut use Laser cushions with the UII trucks since it puts more load on the slot in the center of the truck than the original set up..

In other words, while the 2X Whammy cushions "work" on the UII truck, they are not the best choice for the conversion. YMMV.
Yeah, I used the UII cushion on top and then finished it off with the DW.
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Question Pix??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
Yeah, I used the UII cushion on top and then finished it off with the DW.
Sorry, I'm not following..
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #9
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

I just hope I'm not confused myself lol .. ahem
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #10
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default 2X Whammy.

This is the 2x Whammy kit. What part did you use on the Lasers??
Old February 14th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #11
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

The bottom soft cushion. The top one is Ultimate. I guess thats the part I used lol. Its from a Laser anyways lol