S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Rinkrat63
Level IV SEDS
 
Rinkrat63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West View Pa
Posts: 26
Default Recommended Best Speed bearings

Good afternoon,

I have a question about quad speed bearings. I have several R&B skaters who say that their bearings are not fast enough. They want the fastest bearings possible.

We stock the entire Qube line as well as Roller Bones bearings.

Any recommendation for speed bearings would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
__________________
Owner/Operator and general Rink Rat
Neville Roller Drome, Inc.
Rinkrat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #2
cass38a
Senior Member
 
cass38a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Newcastle NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,653
Default

The difference between bearings and speed is not measurable. It is the skater that makes the difference.

If you are selling the bearings you may as well just recommend the ones you get the best profit on, the placebo affect will keep them happy.

Wheels on the other hand make a massive difference so while they are looking for equipment to improve their speed they will want to be on fast wheels,
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #3
the california kid
member
 
the california kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 784
Default Well this is not a NEW question....

A bearing is only as fast as the skater behind it.....A skater on their own will never max out the speed a bearing can go. And the abec rating has very little if really any affect on skating....Read the truth here (http://www.lushlongboards.com/worksh...c-199_200.html)
Quote:
What is the purpose of the higher precision bearings ?
Higher precision bearings are designed to allow high precision machinery to operate smoother and sometimes at higher speeds than a standard bearing would allow. Keeping this in mind, a standard ABEC 1, 608ZZ is rated with a limiting speed of 32,000 RPM with grease lubrication and 38,000 RPM with oil lubrication. The actual speed that the bearing will attain without failure also depends on the loads applied and other running conditions but there is really no need to go into that too heavily here.

We feel that we must stress here that the purpose of higher precision bearings IS NOT TO GO FASTER, but (amongst other things) to ALLOW HIGH SPEED MACHINERY TO OPERATE AT FASTER SPEEDS THAN STANDARD BEARINGS WILL ALLOW.
So it is better to concern yourself with Quality of the bearing not its abec rating.
What you want is a bearing that rides smooth. And last forever. Most bearings are packed with GREASE. This grease lubes and cools the bearing at all speeds but is more designed for far greater speeds than a skater. And at the slower speeds of a skater Just slows the bearing. Remove the grease completely from the bearing and use a light oil like (Snake Oil) in its place. The use of bearing spaces will reduce drag by placing pressure on the center bore. Not on the Shields. (Shields are easy damaged and will cause a bearing to fail.) You can make a bearing role faster in a role test (spinning the wheel freehand on a axle) But speed comes from the skater. Not the Bearing. If you maintain them they will role and role....
__________________
All out of favors don't ask, Quote "Finn".
Please do not ask me to hold something
unless you are sure you are going to buy it.....
the california kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Rinkrat63
Level IV SEDS
 
Rinkrat63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West View Pa
Posts: 26
Default Confirmation on bearings

Thanks for the reply's.

This is an R& B skater so he does not like the classic speed wheel. SOme of my R&B skaters are running the BOnes Turbo wheels, 97A or 101A. They roll great on my Maple hardwood floor.

No matter what I sell these guys they think that they can go faster if they change the bearing. They do not like listening to me when I tell them that a wheel/bearing combo that they like will work best.


On our floor for non racing conditions a set of Turbos on Qube blacks, Golds or ceramics works just as well as Turbos with Bones Reds, Super Reds or Swiss.

My 97A turbos with Qube Ceramics fly on my floor. My grip is very nice as well.

They don't even like to listen to Doc Sk8 and he is at my rink on a weekly basis.

Jim
__________________
Owner/Operator and general Rink Rat
Neville Roller Drome, Inc.
Rinkrat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #5
ursle
Street Skater
 
ursle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 3,863
Default

Just have to say it, the bones ceramics are the best bearing bar none, if the skater wants to remove all doubt about the quality of the bearing, use the bones, ceramic.

If your opinion is that the bearing doesn't matter, well, that's your opinion, luckily, options exist.

What makes them the best, replaceable balls, retainers and shields, excellent quality control, availability, a large enough market share that with a little due diligence they can be sourced for less then 180$, the fact that they are indestructible makes them worth the price,imho,ymmv
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #6
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default

If bearings are really good, then they will steal less of your momentum as the wheels roll. The crappier bearings will theoretically steal more energy and convert it into heat.

So, if you want to evaluate a set of bearings, then skate the crap out of them for a specific number of laps at a steady fast pace (minimum 25+. I would suggest). Then stop immediately and test what temperature they are. The hotter the bearing races, the worse the bearings.

At least this gives you something tangible to evaluate, despite the fact that the amount of lost speed represented by the higher temperature of warmer set of bearings is probably negligible. It does demand that the bearings handle some serious lateral forces too.

Alternatively, skate up to max speed and start to coast as you cross the finish line. How far you can roll while holding a standard position indicates how much or little rolling energy the bearings are wasting. This is a less useful test, since no lateral forces are being applied as the skater coasts.

In theory, with all other factors held the same, the bearings that run coolest and that you can coast the furthest with, are the probably best ones for you and your skate setup.

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #7
ursle
Street Skater
 
ursle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 3,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
If bearings are really good, then they will steal less of your momentum as the wheels roll. The crappier bearings will theoretically steal more energy and convert it into heat.

So, if you want to evaluate a set of bearings, then skate the crap out of them for a specific number of laps at a steady fast pace (minimum 25+. I would suggest). Then stop immediately and test what temperature they are. The hotter the bearing races, the worse the bearings.

At least this gives you something tangible to evaluate, despite the fact that the amount of lost speed represented by the higher temperature of warmer set of bearings is probably negligible. It does demand that the bearings handle some serious lateral forces too.

Alternatively, skate up to max speed and start to coast as you cross the finish line. How far you can roll while holding a standard position indicated how much or little rolling energy the bearings are wasting. This is a less useful test, since no lateral forces are being applied as the skater coasts.

In theory, with all other factors held the same, the bearings that run coolest and that you can coast the furthest with, are the probably best ones for you and your skate setup.
Nice post Richard, I envision a material that changes color with heat, 1 degree increments, just a casual look will ascertain exact results, the shield's rubber gasket could be the component that was tempermatic (new word), just juxtaposing but necessity is the mother of creation
Agree that temp would be a good gauge of friction in the only moving component on a skate that matters, well...really
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #8
WJCIV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: London
Posts: 1,098
Default

For quads I always get BSB Swiss. Not because they are faster (they aren't any slower either), but because I have had good experiences with them. I did A2A two years in a row when it rained (on inlines). At the time I had a hodepodge of brands for my race bearings. One year I cleaned the bearings that night. The other year I put them in gasoline immediately after the race and cleaned them when I got home a few days later. Not all of the bearings survived. Some bearings survived, but weren't race quality anymore. The only bearing that survived bother years were BSB Swiss. I figure that is an indication of good material and engineering, so I buy their stuff.

That said, I have bought 2 sets of quad bearings in 12 years. I was out of the sport for 8 years, so that is only 4 years of skating. And one of those was 3 months ago.

Ceramics will give more free spin, which might be enough to impress these guys.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #9
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Nice post Richard, I envision a material that changes color with heat, 1 degree increments, just a casual look will ascertain exact results, the shield's rubber gasket could be the component that was tempermatic (new word), just juxtaposing but necessity is the mother of creation
Agree that temp would be a good gauge of friction in the only moving component on a skate that matters, well...really
I suppose that superior bearings overstuffed with thick grease might give a false too warm negative, but similarly lubed bearings, similarly fitted into the wheels should compare fairly accurately.

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #10
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,593
Default

Timken bearings.

Call them up and have them make some 7/8mm bearings with their super finished raceways and coated with their anti wear stuff, maybe even go steel races /w ceramic balls, phenolic oil impregnated cages.

Then machine the spacers for each hub for each wheel to fit using stainless not aluminum, and assemble them with loctite. Also make sure their hangers are faced.


Or tell them to quit crying and that its their legs that are too weak.
Lol

I like rockin rons rockets. IMO Cheaper and better than any bearing bones produces.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #11
NorCal03
Senior Member
 
NorCal03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Timken bearings.

Call them up and have them make some 7/8mm bearings with their super finished raceways and coated with their anti wear stuff, maybe even go steel races /w ceramic balls, phenolic oil impregnated cages.

Then machine the spacers for each hub for each wheel to fit using stainless not aluminum, and assemble them with loctite. Also make sure their hangers are faced.


Or tell them to quit crying and that its their legs that are too weak.
Lol

I like rockin rons rockets. IMO Cheaper and better than any bearing bones produces.
Hey guy wouldn't the Rockin Rons be 8mm? As a board bearing I'd think they don't come in 7mm so that might be problem for some. Other than that, seems like a reasonable thought. *Oh, by the way if you make that call for us to Timken, can you order me up a set too, ha thx
__________________
Resto: 595, Satellite DA45, Faster Fan-Jets, 8ball Fafnirs
New: Bont QRC, Boen Super Light NTS, Aussie Scott (Super Enforcers and S.F. Primo Deanos)
NorCal03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #12
cass38a
Senior Member
 
cass38a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Newcastle NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkrat63 View Post
Thanks for the reply's.

This is an R& B skater so he does not like the classic speed wheel. SOme of my R&B skaters are running the BOnes Turbo wheels, 97A or 101A. They roll great on my Maple hardwood floor.

No matter what I sell these guys they think that they can go faster if they change the bearing. They do not like listening to me when I tell them that a wheel/bearing combo that they like will work best.


On our floor for non racing conditions a set of Turbos on Qube blacks, Golds or ceramics works just as well as Turbos with Bones Reds, Super Reds or Swiss.

My 97A turbos with Qube Ceramics fly on my floor. My grip is very nice as well.

They don't even like to listen to Doc Sk8 and he is at my rink on a weekly basis.

Jim
I would stop giving them advice and just point them in the direction of the highest priced bearings and use the price as the guide.

If they do not listen to you or Doc and wont sus out faster wheels then they are a lost cause.

Your comment about them all working the same is because they all do, at least when they are new and not worn out. The better bearings (not made in china or India but made in Japan or Germany) will last a lot longer.

Plenty of world titles have been won on mixed sets of old and worn bearings scabbed up form whatever the skater had on hand for me to accept that there is any real benefit from $200 bearings over $50 dollar ones.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #13
Quadtastic
Quads live!!!
 
Quadtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,041
Default

In my opinion bearings in skates aren't very important, I run mix match bearings in most of my skate wheels. Some bearings can offer a much smoother ride, but they don't do much in the way of speed.
__________________
[Umbro footy boots] [Bont Vapor 2012]
[Boen Special 170] [EO 110 100 Hi-lo]
[Cruiciani 6 spoke] [Matter G13/Matter Image/MPC Road War Turbo]
Quadtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.