S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old October 21st, 2017, 02:55 PM   #1
whiskey02

Default Anyone use a mirror skating on roads?

I sometimes train on open roads and I find that compared to trails I generally have a less satisfying skate because I'm constantly on the lookout for cars coming up behind me. I have a little mirror on my left wrist guard which of course requires that I lift my arm up, and, you know how so many cars now (even the ones driven by @ss holes talking and texting) run so quietly now that with a little wind in your ears, you just can't hear them approaching. Does anyone have a suggestion for a particular mirror that mounts to a helmet or eye glasses that works well for them?
I have in the past, on a mostly straight, not too busy two lane (for each direction) road with a bike lane on either side, skated against traffic flow. When a car approaches, I can see it well ahead and I shorten my stride and wave the car forward, letting the driver know I'm getting out of his path. With little traffic, cars usually have plenty of time to just pull over to the other lane.I know that is not the proper thing to do,as it gives driver less time to "react" to you, but I don't really feel like the "react"in any way safer to me when they come up from behind. fwiw, I did feel safer and got a better skate doing this, until a trusted friend lashed me with a wet noodle for doing so.
You thoughts and suggestions welcome.
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 04:35 PM   #2
kentek

Default I know the feeling

I, too, do open road skating. But i only skate on one road early Sunday AM.
Mostly empty. As this road is less than perfect I only skate on one side of it. My return trip is always against traffic. This way i can see the cars coming at me. Most give me ample room but there is always the one guy...
At least I don't have a curb so i can bail to the gravel if need be.

BTW: What I have found is that very senior drivers will not cross over the yellow line no matter how far away oncoming cars are. Even if there is no oncoming traffic they will not budge. They will stop their car before they will "break the Law". Funny...
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 08:49 PM   #3
whiskey02

Funny, I have witnessed this before, though not related to skating; that painted line may as well be a concrete wall! ...."why don't you move over and not drive over that tree limb gramaw"? ....I don't want to go into the other (EMPTY) lane"
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 08:24 AM   #4
Spencer.Berry

I have been using the Cycle Aware Reflex for 10+ years, and I love it. It takes some practice to get used to using a helmet mirror, but once you get it dialed in, they’re great.

https://www.cycleaware.com/index.php...k6d20i6se83b43
Spencer.Berry is offline   Reply With Quote