S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old October 25th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #1
Telperion

Default Coming over to speed skating from hockey for fitness

Hello everyone, just looking for some feedback and thoughts on equipment and training, since I'm both new to speed skating and have been out of the inline field in general since about 2004, though I'm not a 'beginner'.

For background, I played inline hockey from as a t(w)een in '99-'04 and then played some recreational ice hockey in college in '05-'07. During that time I participated in speed skating training to improve my hockey skating, so I'm familiar with the technique. I'd label my skill as 'advanced', though I'm rusty and out of shape. The only thing I'm not advanced on is a double-push, but only because it was never needed for hockey so I never learned it. I can, at least on hockey skates, but it's just not part of the technique I'm used to using. I've kept up outdoor skating for fun on my Tour TR962 hockey skates (2x80, 2x72) until the boot rubber finally disintegrated into mush and separated from the frames about a year ago.

That brings us to present day, I've been perusing Craigslist and Facebook marketplace to pick up speed skate equipment to get into the sport. I considered a fitness boot / frame, but ultimately I know I'm going to crave more very quickly so I don't want to waste time or money on a setup that I'm going to outgrow right away. My biggest challenge is I don't know where to try on boots locally (Tampa, FL area).

Currently though some sales, I picked up a Luigino pilot striker 13.2 4x110 frame with Atom wheels + bearings for $60 (which I think is a steal). The boot was too big so I bought everything else. Then also for $60 I picked up a pair of Luigino Strut skates with 4x105 wheels, the size 9 boots were too small but I was able to squeeze myself into them enough to take a trip up and down my street to get a feel for speed skates. I can handle the skates no problem, but my ankles need work since I'm used to a hockey boot. That'll come in time.

I'm targeting probably a 3x125 setup next since I know I have (or will have) the power to drive them just fine, and I like that the frame is slightly shorter, it's more what I'm familiar with from hockey. And 125's should be more comfortable on uneven outdoor surfaces. I was always one of the more powerful skaters on my teams playing hockey so I don't think there's such a thing as 'too much skate' for me, just need to adjust to a new style. My skating will primarily be outdoor in parks, etc with sidewalk grade asphalt.

I can pick up locally a barely used set of Bont Jets with CXXV 125 frames, set of Boom 125's, and set of Matter 125's for $200, which also again sounds like a price I can't pass up if the boots fit me.

Thoughts? Feedback? Suggestions? Questions?

Last edited by Telperion; October 25th, 2017 at 07:01 PM.
Telperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #2
BladeWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
Hello everyone, just looking for some feedback and thoughts on equipment and training, since I'm both new to speed skating and have been out of the inline field in general since about 2004, though I'm not a 'beginner'.

For background, I played inline hockey from as a t(w)een in '99-'04 and then played some recreational ice hockey in college in '05-'07. During that time I participated in speed skating training to improve my hockey skating, so I'm familiar with the technique. I'd label my skill as 'advanced', though I'm rusty and out of shape. The only thing I'm not advanced on is a double-push, but only because it was never needed for hockey so I never learned it. I can, at least on hockey skates, but it's just not part of the technique I'm used to using. I've kept up outdoor skating for fun on my Tour TR962 hockey skates (2x80, 2x72) until the boot rubber finally disintegrated into mush and separated from the frames about a year ago.

That brings us to present day, I've been perusing Craigslist and Facebook marketplace to pick up speed skate equipment to get into the sport. I considered a fitness boot / frame, but ultimately I know I'm going to crave more very quickly so I don't want to waste time or money on a setup that I'm going to outgrow right away. My biggest challenge is I don't know where to try on boots locally (Tampa, FL area).

Currently though some sales, I picked up a Luigino pilot striker 13.2 4x110 frame with Atom wheels + bearings for $60 (which I think is a steal). The boot was too big so I bought everything else. Then also for $60 I picked up a pair of Luigino Strut skates with 4x105 wheels, the size 9 boots were too small but I was able to squeeze myself into them enough to take a trip up and down my street to get a feel for speed skates. I can handle the skates no problem, but my ankles need work since I'm used to a hockey boot. That'll come in time.

I'm targeting probably a 3x125 setup next since I know I have (or will have) the power to drive them just fine, and I like that the frame is slightly shorter, it's more what I'm familiar with from hockey. And 125's should be more comfortable on uneven outdoor surfaces. I was always one of the more powerful skaters on my teams playing hockey so I don't think there's such a thing as 'too much skate' for me, just need to adjust to a new style. My skating will primarily be outdoor in parks, etc with sidewalk grade asphalt.

I can pick up locally a barely used set of Bont Jets with CXXV 125 frames, set of Boom 125's, and set of Matter 125's for $200, which also again sounds like a price I can't pass up if the boots fit me.

Thoughts? Feedback? Suggestions? Questions?
Have fun is the most important thing, but I wouldn't go with 3 x 125 until you build up your ankle strength.
BladeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #3
Telperion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeWolf View Post
Have fun is the most important thing, but I wouldn't go with 3 x 125 until you build up your ankle strength.
At this stage, I don't yet have a baseline idea of what my ankle strength is. I play other sports like ultimate in low football cleats with full range of ankle motion, so I have above average lower leg and ankle strength out of the gate compared to the typical person picking up the sport. My quick spin in the ill-fitting Struts on the 105's I could skate with no wobble, I'm just not used to using those muscles.

My unknown is that I'm not used to using ankle strength in skating, as opposed to not having it, so I'll have to feel that out and see what I can handle. Hockey boots have anterior/posterior ankle movement, speed boots have that and also lateral/medial ankle movement, so it's not so much difficult as it is unfamiliar. It adds an additional potential axis to the leg motion which my brain has never had to tell my legs to stabilize.

If 125's show themselves to be too much, I'll step it down and adjust more slowly.
Old October 27th, 2017, 03:16 AM   #4
BladeWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
At this stage, I don't yet have a baseline idea of what my ankle strength is. I play other sports like ultimate in low football cleats with full range of ankle motion, so I have above average lower leg and ankle strength out of the gate compared to the typical person picking up the sport. My quick spin in the ill-fitting Struts on the 105's I could skate with no wobble, I'm just not used to using those muscles.

My unknown is that I'm not used to using ankle strength in skating, as opposed to not having it, so I'll have to feel that out and see what I can handle. Hockey boots have anterior/posterior ankle movement, speed boots have that and also lateral/medial ankle movement, so it's not so much difficult as it is unfamiliar. It adds an additional potential axis to the leg motion which my brain has never had to tell my legs to stabilize.

If 125's show themselves to be too much, I'll step it down and adjust more slowly.
Ive only done 110 before, they are really hard to use at first, Ive been on ice for a while on clap skates and once you can skate fast like getting a double push down, you should try it. But your manuverablity will lack on 125s.
BladeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 03:31 AM   #5
Telperion

With no socks I was able to get a usable albeit uncomfortable fit in the Struts with 4x105, went for a skate at a 3.5mi mixed-use loop on fairly smooth asphalt.

I did the 3.5mi in 20 minutes, which I'm happy with for 1) first time skating in 2 years, 2) first time ever using speed skates, 3) first cardio or any sort of athletic activity in 2 years. I had jelly legs afterward.

Right ankle is solid, can hold steady on a beginner-grade double push, left ankle is weaker and had some wobble when transitioning to the outside edge. Coming from hockey, I'm not used to finishing my stride with such an extended push since you always have to keep yourself in a posture of agility. Had to force my legs to do something unnatural, so it'll be a mental adjustment.
Old October 29th, 2017, 04:15 AM   #6
pdinphx
Jedi Master Wasabe

If funds will allow, get both 4x110 and 3x125 frames/wheelsets.

I have both and switch depending upon course conditions and layout.

If you're just learning to speed skate in a low cut speed boot, I would highly recommend the 4x setup to start out with. It's funny, since just a few years ago, most people would have recommended starting out on an even smaller wheel, say the 4x100's ...

I am just getting back into my Bont Vaypors after an almost 5 year respite, and for now, am definitely faster on my 4x over the long haul.
pdinphx is offline   Reply With Quote