S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old February 18th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #21
Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
skate of the union Sept 11th.

Are the events I have bold faced really drawing THAT many
skaters out of the midwest pool of fitness and rec skaters?
Speedy - Last year the Skate of the Union/ESS Stage 5 event drew almost 200 skaters. Most participants were from the Mid-Atlantic states (NY, Penn, NJ, MD, Del, VA, NC) but we had a contingent from Canada (Peter Doucet, Herb Gayle, and others) as well as skaters from many other states such as FL and TX.

This year we hope to exceed 200 participants for the marathon, half-marathon, 10K, and 5K races. SOTU will be a Major NROC event so it will draw NROC point chasers. The event is also the final stage of the Eastern Seaboard Series so it attracts a lot of skate teams and individuals that have been skating throughout the ESS series events.

The event has grown each year for the past 5 years. We introduced chip timing and a race announcer last year. The venue is unique in that it is the Fairfax County Police Department's driver trainer facility that has a 1.2-mile road course that hosts the race. Also, all revenue in excess of expenses is donated to the Special Olympics on behalf of the Fairfax County Police Department.

We have been trying to grow the sport. A handful of people spend a lot of time planning, organizing, and managing the event. As soon as the 2010 race was finished last September we started planning for the 2011 event. There are a lot of moving parts that need to be addressed and you have to have a core group of dedicated folks to make the event successful.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:19 AM   #22
MNGreene
No Witty Title

Quote:
edit:

I don't consider the area of the uppermost border of our country to be the true midwest. I see the mid west as mid way north and south and midway east west. We can split hairs over this all day long, I guess, but I just wanted to clarify my earlier statement about "drawing skaters from the midwest"

MNGreene, I'd be curious to see what percentage of the participants in the races you mentioned traveled more than 6 hours to get to the race. 8 hrs? 12 hrs?
Without going back and calculating, I can say the Apostle Islands race had very few who would have had to travel more than 6 hours. MN Half would have had more, but still probably under 10%. If you are looking for fitness and rec skaters, I doubt many of them are going to travel those distances.

In the not that it matters category: We like to think of ourselves as the midwest so we can latch onto all of the positive midwest attributes. Sometimes we are called Upper Midwest (fine) or Northern Plains (no thanks - we have trees and hills and lakes here!).
MNGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:58 PM   #23
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGreene View Post
Without going back and calculating, I can say the Apostle Islands race had very few who would have had to travel more than 6 hours.
From what I've heard, this is likely to change this year. There are a lot of interested parties (including myself) after hearing high praise for this event.

Regarding the 24hr race.. I really hope this works out ORF. I think with the right marketing approach you would be able to bring in rec skaters that wouldn't be inclined to travel to Canada to do this type of event. This could be the new "Warrior Dash" that's such a hit now - endurance and teamwork on skates could be a huge draw for thrillseekers. Let me know if you need any help or advice.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:14 AM   #24
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

wouldn't it be nice to find out which is the fastest team in the country.

hehe.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #25
ORF

Default IT'S (tentatively) ON LIKE DONKEY KONG

I'M GOING TO MOVE AHEAD AND PUT THIS ON MY 2012 CALENDAR OF EVENTS

TENTATIVE DATE WOULD BE APRIL 7TH, 2012.

Let me know if you see any conflicts with this date.

LOCATION is TBD but likely TOPEKA, KS or Kansas City, MO

All this input has been great! Keep it coming. I'll post more on the race throughout the coming year.

Kelly Sumner
Off Road Fixation
www.offroadfixation.com
ORF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #26
krisapin
Darth Sk8r

WOW! Those are literally right up the road for me. granted, that road is the Kansas Turnpike but still, right up the road
krisapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #27
skaterdog

Quote:
Leave it to a Floridian to come up with this...
The midwest does not skate outside regularly
until mid to late April at the earliest. This counts
for most of us North of the Mason-Dixon line.
Yes...April would be a bit problematic for skaters in snow country. Not much/any training time.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #28
Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
Yes...April would be a bit problematic for skaters in snow country. Not much/any training time.
Excellent point. That was one of the problems that the Disney Inline Marathon had because their race was in March/April timeframe. That time of the year is fine if you live in the Gulf Coast/Mexico border states but most of the rest of the country is just transitioning from winter to summer sports. Also, the first week of April in KS or MO is a crap shoot as to what season will be present on that particluar date. (the Montreal 24-hour race was in early June two years ago and it got into the low 50s at night with a very crisp breeze).

Are there some summer weekends that don't conflict with existing inline events?
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #29
ORF

May 19th or June 9th?

How about the Memorial Day holiday weekend? You think people would be more or less inclined to travel over the long weekend?
ORF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #30
speedysktr
President of Everything

Bear in mind, no matter what you choose, there will be someone or some group that says, "I can't because of this or that."

I would lean towards June 9th because families will be more likely to be freed up for travel AND you might get some indoor folks that are in between Regionals, many of which actually happen Memorial day weekend, and Nationals in July. It also gives a little more time for folks to skate outside.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:19 PM   #31
SmileySk8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORF View Post
May 19th or June 9th?

How about the Memorial Day holiday weekend? You think people would be more or less inclined to travel over the long weekend?
I like May. By then we have been skating for a few weeks and are "eager to roll" and by it being a 24 event, you don't necessarily have to be in marathon shape if you have several team members to complete the event with. In June, there are some great events already on the event list, so long that they are still there next yr... Good luck planning!
SmileySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote