S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 7th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #61
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsk8 View Post
I'm thinking about taking some people to the race this year, only if it fits my schedulle with indoor nationals!!!.... lets hope it does, I have to leave nebraska friday night and drive to chicago.... =( lets see if I can make it!
Sounds like the beginning of The Blues Brothers:
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses
Jake: Hit it.

<ahem>
...except it's probably more like 506 miles.
You can do it, dude, you'll be on a mission from God.

Last edited by speedysktr; July 7th, 2007 at 01:19 PM.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #62
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
a la chingada entonces con el hylo!
Now, now boys...can't have any of that
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #63
online inline

What did he say, Mark?! Do tell!
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #64
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
Now, now boys...can't have any of that
Eh chhhhht! Callate pinchi gŁey!
Old July 7th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #65
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
I really think Speedy and gless should room together in Chicago!

Hey, guess what? we really are and the more you say it, the more we'll still be rooming together.
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #66
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
Hey, guess what? we really are and the more you say it, the more we'll still be rooming together.
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #67
The Major

Default Prize Money, Raffle Stuff, Food!!

In addition to the over $2000 in prize money we'll be giving away, we will be raffleing off 3 pair of Rollerblade Lightning Skate($300 retail) gift certificates and 2 pair of K2 Radical 90's ( $300 retail) and 1 pair of K2 Radical 100 ($350) gift certificates. We'll also raffle off a $150 gift certificate for any Zephyr tour. Power bar will be giving us 300 power bars and 300 Gel packs. Valli produce will be providing us with plenty of fruit and refreshments. Are YOU signed up yet??
The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #68
panch0

Man... Too bad for my casted arm! I'd love to be there and see if Team Rainbo "gets back" at Team Bont !!
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #69
Evgeny

Hi to those who live in Chicago and to everyone else!
I'd like to ask about help... I'll be in Chicago on 20th of July, And I'm going to stay here till the end of summer. I want to participate in Chicago Marathon, but I don't know how I can get to Mundelein from Chicago in the early morning. I would go to hotel the day before, but I dont' have money to stay there So, maybe someone is going to get to Mundelein early at morning, and he/she can pick me up somewhere to get to Mundelein together?
Thanks
Evgeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #70
The Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny View Post
Hi to those who live in Chicago and to everyone else!
I'd like to ask about help... I'll be in Chicago on 20th of July, And I'm going to stay here till the end of summer. I want to participate in Chicago Marathon, but I don't know how I can get to Mundelein from Chicago in the early morning. I would go to hotel the day before, but I dont' have money to stay there So, maybe someone is going to get to Mundelein early at morning, and he/she can pick me up somewhere to get to Mundelein together?
Thanks
Send me an email to themajor@gmail.com. I'll see if I can arrange something for you.
The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #71
Pepper Montana

Safe traveling to everyone heading to Chicago. The Crowne Plaza still has some of the group rate rooms available. Can't beat the cost.

If you see a tall debonair skater with elegant hands say hello! It won't be me but it is good manners to be friendly to other skaters.

The weather is looking unbelievably good for the race! Can't wait to get there and line up. Zoe is aiming to do 15 miles and I am going to push her the whole way if I have to. See you!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:25 PM   #72
Pepper Montana

Thanks to the organizers for putting this event on. It was a perfect day for a race and the course was outstanding. The scenery wasn't bad either. Gently rolling hills and a variety of vistas and trees.

Zoe did the entire marathon and had a great time. She held on to me pretty much the entire way and I pulled. By my watch we did the race in about 1:45. Considering that the farthest that she had ever skated prior to that was 8 miles she did awesome. We finally found a lacing combination and set up for her skates that lets her stay in her boots for a decent amount of time. The blister glide that looks like an anti-perspirant stuff also works.

One of the highlights of the race was when speedy lapped us on the course and shouted out, "Eye of the tiger, baby girl!" Zoe wasn't expecting it from him. It's a family joke for us that we repeat before one of her softball games. Her comment afterwards was that she thought it was funny when he said it...

My favorite part of the race was the final couple of hundred yards to the finish line. There was a skater in front of us that had passed us at the beginning of the final loop. She got so far in front of us that she was out of sight. We kept our pace steady and kept on working. Eventually we caught sight of her and that spurred us on. At the water station she was about 100 yards or so in front of us. I think that the water station was about a mile or so from the finish. We kept on working it and we were getting closer.

At the bottom of the last hill before the finish line we were dogging her tail. Somewhere, from someone, (thanks, JT!) I learned that if you are helping someone in the race you need to step to the side and let that person finish the race on their own. So, with about 200 yards left and a skater in front, it was time for Zoe to go. She did it. She kicked it in the ass and pushed as hard as she could. The skater in front of her didn't want to be passed and she hammered too. I was yelling at Zoe and I can't remember what it was but I remember that I was loud and obnoxious. It was a good way to finish the race. I know that the skater Zoe passed at the finish skated the whole 26 solo so props to her for that achievement.

It was a perfect race for both of us. Zoe had a good time skating and is psyched to do St. Paul. I feel like I am a lucky man because yesterday will be a treasured memory. Spending time with my daughter in a beautiful place doing something I love to do. Is there anything else in this life to compare?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:18 AM   #73
speedysktr
President of Everything

awesome race on a great course. Will be back again next year for sure. The Maj laughed when I said I hadn't skated outside for two weeks, noting that "everyone says that before a race" which is true, but my placement is evident that I was being honest this time. It felt good to be part of a first time event.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:50 AM   #74
DonPatton
Gadget Guy

Thanks, Team Rainbo, for what sounds like a quality event added to the schedule. Unfortunately, I found out about this race too late to make it this year (vacation and finances were already spoken for with personal travel, the Miami Great EsSkate and the Squiggy, Disney, St Augustine, Columbia Station, Montreal, St Paul, Duluth, and A2A races). But I will keep it on my list for next year.

Cheers to all who participated!

Happy Trails,

Don
DonPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:53 AM   #75
panch0

Chicagoland Marathon!! It will definitely be on my plans next year !
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:24 PM   #76
ONOU

Default Thanks for another great venue

Results for Chicago Inline Marathon
http://www.onlineraceresults.com/eve...?event_id=2013
ONOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #77
Pepper Montana

Between building a deck (16' x 18'), laying a patio with 150 16' pavers and doing the regular summer stuff like softball, fishing and making crank phone calls, I was busier than ever this summer. So, I finally got the pictures on line from Chicago. I want to share these because it was such a perfect day. It was a day that means something to me.

Most importantly, I was so happy to be with my daughter. Life with a thirteen year old can be so painful. Anyways, she is turning some corners in her life and changing. Changing in positive and wonderful ways. It's like the surprise and joy you feel when a flower opens or a cocoon hatches and you see the butterfly. I feel so blessed to spend time with her and I latch on to every good moment with her. I am remembering that we are engineered to survive as a species but that the individual is fragile. We only have right now to be together. Anything can happen. Love people and share your love with them while you can.

Nervous and happy.

The weather was perfect!

Yeah, you're tough now... We have pictures from afterwards... Wanna change your tune?

Zoe's feet were hurting. I could have gone five more.

There was a construction site next to the course. A good sign? Eight ball says, "Yeah, sure." This was from after the race.

After some time in the pool at the motel, Zoe wanted to go to the Shedd. OK, princess! The lakefront was jammed with everyone in Chicago enjoying the wonderful weather.

That was our big day in Chicago. She fell asleep as soon as we got on the interstate and I listened to the country musics that pleases me so much as I drove home.

I love you, Zoe!
Old September 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #78
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Those are some really good pictures - you guys look so happy!!
Do you really like country music? I can't tell this time if you're serious or not.
Old September 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #79
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Those are some really good pictures - you guys look so happy!!
Do you really like country music? I can't tell this time if you're serious or not.
The way he said it implies that the other family members do not and it was his chance to listen...But then, who am I but some random forum member, who's iPod is 1/3 podrunner, 1/3 country, 1/6 Smash Mouth and 1/6 Red Hot Chili Peppers.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #80
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Wow, what a great day with your daughter. I always think of it as storing those days up so that when the kids are being poots I have something to help me through.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote