S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old May 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #21
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Default Anyone going to the Great Race?

Anyone going to do the 1/2 marathon or 10k crit? I signed up for both. I'm making it a weekend with the family, gonna do some Amish shopping!
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #22
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

For those not familiar with the skating events at the Great Race Multi-Sport Festival in Indiana here are some of the details:

EVENT: The Great Race Sports Festival
DATES: May 24-26, 2008 (skating events May 25 & 26)

SCHEDULE:
2008 May 25 (Sunday) - Twilight Inline 10K Downtown Criterium
2008 May 26 (Monday) - Amish Country Half Marathon

MORE INFORMATION
- Inline Skating Event Flyer (PDF)
- The Great Race - Official Event Web
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #23
JustAMom

We've attended these 3 races the past couple of years and found that staying in a hotel near Detroit Metro Airport is a good location, about 25 mins from Belle Isle and then on the way towards Elkhart when Belle Isle is over (which, with 'late checkout', affords the opportunity for a shower
JustAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #24
The Major

We usually do some team related activity in the afternoon after the 10K which can include a movie and always includes dinner. Everyone is invited. If you've never met me in person make sure you come up and introduce yourself. I won't be hard to find.
The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #25
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

I'm usually easy to find too - look for the guy stuffing his face with some kind of food item he shouldn't be eating. Mmmm...cake...
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #26
JustAMom

I'll let Amanda know, thanks
JustAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #27
gopherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
Anyone going to do the 1/2 marathon or 10k crit? I signed up for both. I'm making it a weekend with the family, gonna do some Amish shopping!
I'm doing both and the Wolverine Marathon on Saturday! The weather forecast looks great (I know, longterm forecasts are mearly guesses).
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #28
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Good for you Goph - lots of Rainbo folks doing the Belle Isle race then coming down to the Great Race too. (I'm doing a whole family weekend thing in IN, so I'm missing Belle Isle). I gotta buckle down this week!
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #29
3degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
Once again The Great Race will be taking place on Memorial Day weekend, May 25th & 26th, 2008 in the city of Elkhart, IN. There will be two days of racing. On Sunday May 25th there will be a 10K race in Downtown Elkhart. We'll also be bringing back at skater vs biker that Sunday. On Monday the 26th will be the half marathon starting in Goshen, IN. The course takes a senic route through the Amish courntryside finishing at the Concord Mall. Each year this event has grown and will be bigger and better than ever this year.

The Great Race is a grass roots event that, even though it attracts some very high level athletes, caters to entry level stater as well. I hope to see some of you in person. I really can't say enough about how the City of Elkhart, IN goes out of the way to make the skaters feel welcome. Don't miss this event.
Major,

Am I reading the information correctly..... for the 1/2 Marathon, it starts at 7 and 7:45am (I'm looking at the fitness/REC division). It starts at the Goshen Middle School but ends elsewhere .....at the Concord Mall??? And the buses leave the Concord Mall at 5:15am and then every 1/2 hour before the race(--which start time, both???) to get you to the start line???? So you must park at Concord and take the bus to the start, but to take the bus, you must be there early.....

I'm looking at driving over from NW IN outside of Chicago the morning of and am still looking at 2hr drive...... so trying to figure out how I would possibly work it to get there for the bus before 6:30am without staying O/N...

or can you park at the Middle School and catch a bus back from the Finish Line at the Concord Mall back to the Middle School later???? --It says following the "run" (so I assume these are for the road running courses and timetables), that buses can bring you back to the start.... does this include skating start at the Middle School?
3degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #30
The Major

7:40 for open/elite
7:45 for rec.

You can take the bus back the school after the race. Your best bet is to park at the school if you're coming that morning. Of course you can come on Sunday for the 10K then stay the night.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #31
3degree

Greg,

Will they have check in, registration at the school or only at the main location in the Concord Mall.....? Can I pick up my packet if I go straight to the school?
3degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:04 AM   #32
The General
Ninja Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3degree View Post
Greg,

Will they have check in, registration at the school or only at the main location in the Concord Mall.....? Can I pick up my packet if I go straight to the school?
Good question. I planned on driving straight to the school and have my girlfriend drive to the mall for the finish.
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:01 AM   #33
The Major

you can do everything at the school. FYI, even though I'm listed as the race director I'm not this year. They didn't know who was when they went to print so they just left my name on there printed material. I'm looking forward to just going there to race and have some fun. I'll still be happy to answer any questions anyone has to the best of my ability. Looking forward to seeing you all there.
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:24 AM   #34
gopherfan

I have some quick questions:

So you go downtown to the clock for the 10K? Is the location and parking obvious?

For the 1/2 inline marathon, is the best bet is to drive to the school and take the bus back? If a quicker get-away is wanted, then would parking at the Concord Mall make more sense, or is this too much trouble for the benefit?

Is there a packet pick-up/expo on Saturday?
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:36 PM   #35
The Major

It should be pretty obvious where parking is. I'll post a map where everything is a little later today. If you want to make a quick get-a-way it would nice to have your car at the mall. I'll be staying in Goshen so I'll probably just park at the school. I may get up and drive to the mall and the bus back before the race. It's nice you have your car there when you're done. I've done it both ways without a problem. You just want to make sure you don't miss the bus to the school...of course you could just drive back down to the school.
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:14 PM   #36
The Major

Here's a link to a map of the Elkhart inline skating activities. It shows the 10K course and the half marathon course as well as where to park. There is packet pickup and registration on race days at the race sites.

Elkhart Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...,0.228653&z=13
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:08 PM   #37
Jim White

Thanks much, Greg, extremely helpful!
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #38
gopherfan

A couple cool videos of the Elkhart races including the bike versus inliner.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/th...41?icid=acvsv3

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/th...008/4014747955

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/th...16?icid=acvsv4