S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old March 11th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #1
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

Default Another best bearings thread, money no object!

So everyone has an opinion when it comes to bearings. What I am looking for are comments from people who have experience with specific bearings. Not "I heard that x bearings are great" but actual experience. I'd also like to try and coax some of the more oddball bearings out of the woodwork. Please try to keep it to bearings that are available today. While I hear people rave about fafnir, I have yet to see a new set available.

Wo, what's the best bearing for speed? And more importantly, has anyone ever tried these? http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan...Category_Code=

heh.
Old March 11th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #2
quadbob

Default bearings

i'm a bsb swiss man, i've had bones swiss and they are great. i've had ceramics and there also great. but i always go back to boss swiss. it's because they come with a light racing grease that doesn't slow them down but cures almost all of the bearing maintenance issues.
know offense ladies, but bearings are like women, some are high maintenance and some aren't. i skate them and just move them to my practice or outdoor bearings and get a new set about every 2 years. never clean them never touch them. just skate them. period. and they always roll like crazy!
quadbob.
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

I love my Fafnirs, and yes you can get new ones still although they are 7 balls now like most other bearings instead of 8 like the old ones... and expensive! Still awesome quality though.

I loved my old Labeda Super Bearings too. Those things seemed to take more abuse/neglect than anything and always cleaned back up. (Do not confuse these with the current Labeda bearings which are pretty generic.)

As for more current stuff... I really like the performance of the SinSystems bearings. I have the silver steel ones, never tried the more expensive ceramics. The bad side though, they are a big pain to deal with because of all the spacers required to make them work, too easy to lose pieces.

Bones Swiss are always up there. I didn't feel a bit of advantage with the Ceramics, so I would recommend the regular ones. Out of the standard/easily accessible bearings on the market now, these are really nice.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Spartan
.45 Magnum

Since we are only talking about bearing we have used, I can't feel a big difference between my Fafnirs and Bones Swiss, both are very good bearings.
Old March 11th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #5
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

current bearings : bones swiss are tops on my list

vintage bearings - fafnir 8 balls
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #6
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Bones super swiss 6 ball.

Have four sets.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #7
chaosdsm

I use VXB hybrid ceramics, & VXB ABEC 7 Steel bearings for training. They make pretty good bearings, about equvalent to BSB bearings IMO.

The only real reason to go with a full ceramic bearing is for ultra-marathon (52.4Mi), 24hr endurance, or century skates (100Km/100Mi) where even a hybrid ceramic bearing might fail due to continuous heat on the steel races. If I ever manage to skate A2A or the NY 100 I'll be skating on these http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PRO...arings/Kit7652

Hybrid ceramics (i.e. ceramic balls, steel race surfaces) do have a slight 1/2 to 1 1/2 gram weight advantage per bearing, & their not as quick to fail under high stress / high heat conditions. Full ceramics double the weight advantage & will hold up under most stress & heat conditions, at least until the bearing retainer fails...

BTW... are you sure you need 627 bearings??? Most of the wheels I've seen take either 608(most widely used) or 688 bearings. If you do need 627's, most of the major brands are out from the git-go as the majority only make 608 & 688 bearings.

If you do need 608 or 688's, then your options are wide open.
I keep a set of Bones Super 6 Swiss as backups to my race bearings which are TwinCam ILQ-9 BCB hybrid ceramic bearings. The TwinCam BCB's are great, & when they get dirty I just send them back to TwinCam & they inspect, clean, &/or replace parts as necessary. Bones Ceramics would be another good choice. Stay away from SiNSystems bearings, at first they appear to be a great choice, inexpensive, light weight, long free spin time... but upon close inspection, they are poorly made & the steel rusts & corrodes faster than any other bearing I've seen. Six months after I bought them, they were worthless. I tried emailing SinSystems about their bearings & ways of improving upon them, but they came back to me with a combative attitude & apparently didn't want to know what could be improved...

Just so that everyone knows who might be interested... the Silicon Nitride based (black) ceramic material is a much harder & more durable material than the Zirconium Oxide based (white) ceramic material, which in itself is still harder & more durable than steel.
chaosdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #8
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

608, unless i'm mistaken, denotes an 8mm bearing. my skates (and most high-end speed plates) are 7mm.
Old March 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #9
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
608, unless i'm mistaken, denotes an 8mm bearing. my skates (and most high-end speed plates) are 7mm.
you are correct.
608 is a standard size 8mm bearing
627 is a standard 7mm bearing
688 is a 8mm micro bearing
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #10
Drella
alive with pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Bones super swiss 6 ball.

Have four sets.

^^^Thread closed.
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #11
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

TwinCam ILQ-9 BCB hybrid ceramic bearings---I always got a kick out of their name---they have no "cams", let alone "twin Cams" Might as well call them "twin turbos" Haahahah---well I think it's funny
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #12
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Money no object....

Hands down, SKF. I skated on SKFs for about 10 years. They were the el-cheapo class C3 bearings and they worked better than any "skate" bearing. They rolled smooth as glass and they were fast for many years. I got to the point where I pulled off all the shields and just dropped a little oil in every 6 months or so. I didn't even bother to clean them, they would not die.

If I had an unlimited budget, I would go for some SKF bearings again. Last time I checked an ABEC 3, brass cage, single shield SKF was about $8 (each). However, this will be a true ABEC 3 bearing, and will continue to be for a long time.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #13
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

This my sound odd but my KSK Japans are the best ive skated so far. I also have Bones Swiss and there smooth but not near as fast as my KSK's. Got a couple of sets of Fafnirs i gotta get cleaned up so i can finally try these legends out!! I also think that speed cream and other greases slow the bearings down way to much! My KSK's had no grease in them , only P&B Lube when i took them to Docs.... he put grease in them and even though there more quiet, they dont spin like they did before. But they still beat the Swiss out
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #14
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Money no object....

Hands down, SKF. I skated on SKFs for about 10 years. They were the el-cheapo class C3 bearings and they worked better than any "skate" bearing. They rolled smooth as glass and they were fast for many years. I got to the point where I pulled off all the shields and just dropped a little oil in every 6 months or so. I didn't even bother to clean them, they would not die.

If I had an unlimited budget, I would go for some SKF bearings again. Last time I checked an ABEC 3, brass cage, single shield SKF was about $8 (each). However, this will be a true ABEC 3 bearing, and will continue to be for a long time.
I also got a set of these out of the bearings Doc gave me
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #15
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Money no object....

everybody says a different things about bearings, i had most all of them and bones are very good and all there now with any of them. but in the past i liked fafnirs because they would more sturdy and my skf bearings were my favorites, those things lasted me at least 12 years with just spraying them with a teflon type spray which i cant remember the name,,,,triflow is what it is called lol, getting old.
Old March 14th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #16
Madcow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2sk888 View Post
I loved my old Labeda Super Bearings too. Those things seemed to take more abuse/neglect than anything and always cleaned back up. (Do not confuse these with the current Labeda bearings which are pretty generic.)
I have an old set of Labeda Super Bearings I bought about 25yrs ago. Okie tried them when he was here last year.
I bought Rush Cermic Titanium bearings yesterday to see how they work, they were only $80 for 16 bearings at a skateboard shop. They are 8mm bearings I bought axle sleeves for my 7mm axles.
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #17
chaosdsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
Yep... I forget you folks are talking quad skates & not inlines where 8mm are the defalt for just about everything...
chaosdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #18
Mystic
SWM So Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2sk888 View Post
I love my Fafnirs, and yes you can get new ones still although they are 7 balls now like most other bearings instead of 8 like the old ones... and expensive! Still awesome quality though.

Do you know where?
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #19
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Do you know where?

Almost any bearing distributor will have them or can they can get them.

http://www.motionindustries.com/moti...p/mi/index.jsp
www.applied.com
http://www.bearingsinc.net/

The down side is that sometimes you need a corporate account to buy from them.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote