S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:00 PM   #21
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,258
Default spoke too soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
What do you eat Derrick?

On a normal day, what goes in?
passed on the Mexican,Chinese,red meat, had broiled fish. Symptoms returned. Who knows whats in the restaurant meals.

Lets see one cup coffee. Soup for lunch. Dinners vary a lot. Used to do green smoothies, run out of time for prep though.

Oh yes numbness has not returned and heart feels normal again, but my gut is not happy.

I feel best when not eating at all. Lighter the better. But I'm not always that disciplined.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #22
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,258
Default Eating less loosing weight felling better

Stopped the nightcaps (but I picked up a cigar habit) I know, sacrilege for a skater.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #23
evilzzz
Senior Member
 
evilzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London UK
Posts: 856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
passed on the Mexican,Chinese,red meat, had broiled fish. Symptoms returned. Who knows whats in the restaurant meals.

Lets see one cup coffee. Soup for lunch. Dinners vary a lot. Used to do green smoothies, run out of time for prep though.

Oh yes numbness has not returned and heart feels normal again, but my gut is not happy.

I feel best when not eating at all. Lighter the better. But I'm not always that disciplined.
Leaky gut is very common from a inflammatory diet, and manifests itself in all sorts of symptoms that are easily misdiagnosed by normal medical practices. DYOR as always.
__________________
http://enduranceskating.com
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #24
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzzz View Post
Leaky gut is very common from a inflammatory diet, and manifests itself in all sorts of symptoms that are easily misdiagnosed by normal medical practices. DYOR as always.
Man you nailed that!
Mine manifested in an auto-immune disease like they always do. Hashimoto for me. I guess I got lucky. Could have been MS or Krohns or something horrible.

Derrick, start taking pro-biotics nightly. I take a 100billion active culture NatureFlora tablet. Fix your gut, and your problem might go away on it's own. Gluten is the first obvious culprit, but it could be dairy or some other food allergen.

Good luck !
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #25
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
Man you nailed that!
Mine manifested in an auto-immune disease like they always do. Hashimoto for me. I guess I got lucky. Could have been MS or Krohns or something horrible.

Derrick, start taking pro-biotics nightly. I take a 100billion active culture NatureFlora tablet. Fix your gut, and your problem might go away on it's own. Gluten is the first obvious culprit, but it could be dairy or some other food allergen.

Good luck !
my wife has started me on the probiotics will see how it goes.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #26
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,427
Default

You have to eliminate the triggers too:
Culprits:
Gluten
Dairy
Egg
Legumes
Shell fish

Could be some, or none, or a combination of 3. Hard to say. Try eliminating one at a time, cut gluten altogether, and go for at least 2 weeks to see if it helped.

I think I have to cut dairy. Which absolutely sucks.
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 04:27 AM   #27
matguy
Senior Member
 
matguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
...BTW, all things in moderation
Including moderation

Topic at hand: I have a bulged disk (I think from a skating injury about 20 years ago) that ended up in creating pain and numbness from my left shoulder through my to my pinkie finger. Chiropractic adjustments have helped along with losing some weight.

I get acid reflux, Prilosec (Omeprazole Magnesium) every other day keeps it at bay. If I take it every day I get indigestion, as though I don't have enough stomach acid. It seems different foods set it off for different people. For me it's garlic more than anything else, followed by Nutrigrain Cereal Bars (weird, huh?) If I need immediate relief Sour Patch Kids instantly kick back the acid for about 5 minutes at a time. I can string a few together over 20 minutes or 1/2 an hour to give the Prilosec time to kick in. I keep some in the car for such times.

My eyes are starting to have issues focusing on close things and I get headaches from staring at a computer all day and start getting tunnel vision after a few hours, low magnification reading glasses are working well for me.

Skating related: I have flat arches, most stock boots hurt. A lot.
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #28
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
Including moderation

Topic at hand: I have a bulged disk (I think from a skating injury about 20 years ago) that ended up in creating pain and numbness from my left shoulder through my to my pinkie finger. Chiropractic adjustments have helped along with losing some weight.

I get acid reflux, Prilosec (Omeprazole Magnesium) every other day keeps it at bay. If I take it every day I get indigestion, as though I don't have enough stomach acid. It seems different foods set it off for different people. For me it's garlic more than anything else, followed by Nutrigrain Cereal Bars (weird, huh?) If I need immediate relief Sour Patch Kids instantly kick back the acid for about 5 minutes at a time. I can string a few together over 20 minutes or 1/2 an hour to give the Prilosec time to kick in. I keep some in the car for such times.

My eyes are starting to have issues focusing on close things and I get headaches from staring at a computer all day and start getting tunnel vision after a few hours, low magnification reading glasses are working well for me.

Skating related: I have flat arches, most stock boots hurt. A lot.
Yes, all that. Red Wine, even half a glass, killer. I originally did it for heart smart. But can't tolerate it.

I always wear arch supoorts now. As a kid I hated shoes, couldn't wait to go al summer without. Now it's lace tight and put in your arch support. Unless I have my sketchers on. My skates seem to have good suport though.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #29
matguy
Senior Member
 
matguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Yes, all that. Red Wine, even half a glass, killer. I originally did it for heart smart. But can't tolerate it.

I always wear arch supoorts now. As a kid I hated shoes, couldn't wait to go al summer without. Now it's lace tight and put in your arch support. Unless I have my sketchers on. My skates seem to have good suport though.
I can do all that food if I'm on schedule with my Prilosec, but if I'm a day off it'll hit me hard. Red wine will do it a bit, as will most alcohols, but if I'm on schedule (or take one before, just in case) I'm usually fine.

Arch wise, I'm the opposite. I can't stand walking without shoes for any length of time. Did it a while ago and my arches were all sore for the next couple days.
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 01:52 AM   #30
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: L.A., Ca
Posts: 5,874
Default

Arthritis, inflammation, in the knees, back and shoulder. General weakness and poor recovery time.

See the Nitric Oxide thread.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #31
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Arthritis, inflammation, in the knees, back and shoulder. General weakness and poor recovery time.

See the Nitric Oxide thread.
Wow, keep rolling anyway.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #32
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)
 
GraySk8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 427
Default Heart health

Aches, pains, problems, where to begin? I guess at 71 all that is to be expected. Starting at feet and working up. I have to use arch support inserts in my shoes and skates, but it does fix that problem. Bunion hurts, but with a bunion pad it is not a problem. Then there are the little toes on the right foot that tingle and give pain also. The toe numbness and pain is related to the numbness(and occasional fire like pain) of the right leg. Neurologist says the compressed spine is causing the right leg and toe problems by pinching the nerves(lack of communication between brain and extremities). Maybe the brain is numb too??? Just had the gallbladder out. So, that problem has been resolved.

That brings me to the heart. Three years ago I had extensive tests conducted and they told me that I had a blockage that could require a stint, but it was at the iffy stage. So I elected to wait and not have a stint inserted. Sure glad I waited!!! This year I went to the cardiologist for a follow up check. After skating at least two sessions each week for a year, they could not find any problems. My heart was considered normal for my age. No evidence of a blockage!

Skating is fun and a whole lot of good for whatever ails you(as long as you don't fall too much - pad up and that problem is lessened too).

Keep rollin It's therapeutic
p.s. my heart-rate is consistently in the mid 60's
__________________
595 redline/Snyder Royal/Bones Swiss/Faster 59mm Demiurge
595 boot/Snyder Imperial/Bont micro/Scott's Narrow Phantom
I brake 4 kids!
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #33
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.
 
sk84luv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,171
Default

Shingles! I'd rather be water boarded.
__________________
Riedell 336, Roll-Line Mistral, Roll-Line Panthers. Swiss Labyrinth II .
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 04:05 AM   #34
73skater
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 79
Default

Interesting that I found this thread...curious if anyone else has experienced the following:

Been dealing with sensation of fullness/bloating and some general stomach/GI discomfort for the past year. Finally had a test that revealed my gallbladder is ejecting only 13% of the bile (normal is generally consider 50% or more). Ultrasound revealed that I do not have gallstones. Thus I've been diagnosed with gallbladder dysfunction (dyskinesia). Options are simple but limited...have surgery or just wait-n-see/track my diet. This is not an emergency situation and the surgeon says there's essentially no risk to waiting except for the continued symptoms or worsening.

I'm tired of the symptoms...but hate to have surgery if it isn't necessary. Anybody out there have their gallbladder removed (without gallstones present)? Glad you did...wish you hadn't?

Like many of us, I have visions of a great outdoor skating season next year. Sure would hate to get a solid base of cardio established over the winter and spring only to have it interrupted by surgery that I could have had now.

Thanks.
__________________
Current setup Bont Z (2PT), Powerslide 3x110 1x100
It's supposed to be hard. If it were easy everyone would do it. It's the hard that makes it great.
73skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #35
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73skater View Post
Interesting that I found this thread...curious if anyone else has experienced the following:

Been dealing with sensation of fullness/bloating and some general stomach/GI discomfort for the past year. Finally had a test that revealed my gallbladder is ejecting only 13% of the bile (normal is generally consider 50% or more). Ultrasound revealed that I do not have gallstones. Thus I've been diagnosed with gallbladder dysfunction (dyskinesia). Options are simple but limited...have surgery or just wait-n-see/track my diet. This is not an emergency situation and the surgeon says there's essentially no risk to waiting except for the continued symptoms or worsening.

I'm tired of the symptoms...but hate to have surgery if it isn't necessary. Anybody out there have their gallbladder removed (without gallstones present)? Glad you did...wish you hadn't?

Like many of us, I have visions of a great outdoor skating season next year. Sure would hate to get a solid base of cardio established over the winter and spring only to have it interrupted by surgery that I could have had now.

Thanks.
Intry to control mine with diet, I don't want surgery either. Been having flu symtoms for more than a week now. Took two days off last week, but it is getting better.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2014, 01:42 PM   #36
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"
 
oldspeedskater67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern ky
Posts: 388
Default

I fit in this group.lol. I had a major meniscus repair left knee 14 years ago. After surgery I had no weight, and leg lock in a brace for 3 months. I use to race BMX bikes, and had a bad wreck when I was 14. Later in life it caught up with me. Lol. Nothing else to do, but knee replacement now. All kinds of knee pain every day. Right knee I had some meniscus removed. It isn't as bad as the left, but still has pain. That was 7 years ago. I had major back surgery 1999. They went through my stomach and inserted titanium screws "cages" where my disc is. L5S1. So I'm fused there. So there is always back pain too.lol I have learned to live with it, and usually over do it, and pay for it. Heart is in great shape, as I workout out everyday. Weights, ride a bike, jump rope, crunches, skate slide, and now quad skating. My blood pressure was 103/70 last time at the doc. Resting HR is in the low 60's. I have some arthritics in my hands, texting on the phone they start to ache. I have to text/email a lot with work.
oldspeedskater67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 04:20 PM   #37
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,258
Default Still havin some concerns

Stomach iff and on. The doc wants to explore with a surgical scope. But I'm so not in that, they seem to do one test after another and still it's just a medical opinion (guess).

And having weird joint pain, left shoulder and right wrist. Didn't do anything to the sore areas. Skating is still good though. Weight is steady.

As long as I can stil roll .
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:27 PM   #38
Tumblena109
Junior Member
 
Tumblena109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 10
Default blisters/calluses

I've been skating in riedell skates for over a year, they are R3s, regardless, I have had a blister on the insides of both feet in identical locations. What started off as blisters, eventually became very thick callouses, then more blisters would form beneath the callous. This has been painful, but I skate through it. I skate about 4 times a week for a distance of 6-10 miles with 3 uphill bridges. I think the amount of pressure required as I push up the bridges is why the blisters continue. I have tried a bunch of remedies. I have drained the blisters under the callous, it always returns. I have cut the callous off completely after soaking my feet. The blisters always return. I have used Bunga bunion cushions these really do help but my toes go numb when skating with these on. I bought Gel inserts but still get blisters. I don't believe the skates are a bad fit, I think its the way I push off. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Tumblena109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 05:40 AM   #39
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: L.A., Ca
Posts: 5,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumblena109 View Post
I've been skating in riedell skates for over a year, they are R3s, regardless, I have had a blister on the insides of both feet in identical locations. What started off as blisters, eventually became very thick callouses, then more blisters would form beneath the callous. This has been painful, but I skate through it. I skate about 4 times a week for a distance of 6-10 miles with 3 uphill bridges. I think the amount of pressure required as I push up the bridges is why the blisters continue. I have tried a bunch of remedies. I have drained the blisters under the callous, it always returns. I have cut the callous off completely after soaking my feet. The blisters always return. I have used Bunga bunion cushions these really do help but my toes go numb when skating with these on. I bought Gel inserts but still get blisters. I don't believe the skates are a bad fit, I think its the way I push off. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Yes: Bont boots. Why? Bonts have a narrow hard sole, that leads to a semi-hard section that leads to glove soft leather sides/uppers. They COMPLETELY envelope and cradle your entire foot. And they are heat moldable. It is nearly impossible to get a blister with a skate boot that fits like a second skin. A Bont Quad Racer Leather runs $300. Expensive for ya? Keep abusing your feet and you will be setting your feet up for more pain down the line and bunions or possibly bone spurs.

Shorter term, I would not blame your stride. But maybe your trucks. Are you on hard, original, cushions?? A quick fix would be to change to SG urethane (gummy) cushions. That might alleviate some pressure. But sounds like your skating environment is tough. The Bonts will likely be the best solution.

Stomache bloating: Yep, been there. Started 4 or 5 years back. Oatmeal for breakfast was good. A good easy going way to start your stomaches' day. Stay away from junk, spicy, or TOO MUCH of anything. A fruit day once a week is helpful as well. Eat only fruit or raw veggies for a day.

I tried probiotics. I seem to recall some good results, but can't remember exactly.... Kind of funny. But probiotics have been HUGELY overshadowed by...

L-Arginine. My new supplement of choice. HUGE impact on my life. I have been arthritic for over 10 years. I have been on blood thinners 16 years. I can't do what I used to do in my 30's. When joints were achey, take a bunch of Ibuprofen. I can't take ANY anti-inflammatory drug. But Arginine, an amino acid is an anti-inflammatory. I feel no joint pain, and can now lift, skate and bike moderately with NO ill effects. It has been YEARS since I could say that. Probably since my late 30's, early 40's. (I am 54 now) Arginine makes EVERYTHING work and recover better for a couple of reasons. 1, it is a vasodilator. Widens blood vessels. Your organs, muscles, and brain immediately get better blood flow. AND, since blood flow is better, OXYGEN flow is better. You feel more energetic, and your blood pressure will go down. It is kind of like caffeine, but longer lasting, and caffeine, while it helps your body USE oxygen better, I don't exactly know how, actually has a down side of CONSTRICTING blood vessels. I have dumped major amounts of caffeine completely. I drink decaf coffee only, no colas or other major caffeine sources.

Arginine gets turned into Nitric Oxide, a gas, in the body, and is the body's signaling mechanism. Wider blood vessels, more oxygen, improved signaling. This stuff is like a human tune up in a pill. Prolonged use can actually CLEAN your arteries, ahem, like your coronary arteries, and all other blood vessels as well. The down side. A bit of tummuy upset, loose stools, diarrhea once in a while. It was a bit bad at first, then diminished. Still get it a little now and then, but a small price to pay for the benefits.

My joint inflammation is now pretty much nonexistent. I forgot to take my pills all day one skate day. I did not realize until I was at the rink. I was miserable. No energy, and ALL my bad joints said hello as I started skating. So, proof by omission. I am good on the Arginine, and bad off of it.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #40
Tumblena109
Junior Member
 
Tumblena109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 10
Default Boots and blisters

Thank you for the cushion suggestion. I will definitely give that a try. Unfortunately, I cannot buy new boots right now, maybe the cushions will
Help...

Thanks
Daisy
Tumblena109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.