S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old August 19th, 2015, 07:14 AM   #1
Goldiloks

Default Wheels for heavier street skater?

Hi,

I would love some wheel recommendations please!

I'm a heavier skater at 170lbs / 12stone, and will be skating outdoors on roads, pavements, park trails, asphalt, tennis courts. Nothing super smooth, a little rough sometimes with a bit of occasional debris. Skating style, mainly street skating, t-stops, messing about dancing, the odd jump off a kerb if I'm feeling brave

I've been looking at Krypto Routes, Sim Street Snakes, Air Waves as possibilities (all 78a) and some bigger hubbed wheels such as road hog, heliums and pures, but worried t-stops wouldn't be advisable on wheels with a thinner tyre.

I'm probably over thinking it, lol. Just get some wheels and have fun, right??

Last edited by Goldiloks; August 19th, 2015 at 05:34 PM.
Goldiloks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Fancy-Kerrigan

It's all personal preference
I've skated the Kryptos and liked that they were a normal size wheel, so it was very comfortable to do art moves or turn quickly.
I currently skate Radar Pures - they are a bit bigger, but have a great roll for the push and not too big that I can't do art moves. I also enjoy how they roll over just about everything. Acorns, stones, sticks.....small children.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:21 PM   #3
okcskater
Still rollin' @ 57

I use Atom Pulse wheel for my outdoor skating. I think they are 65mm diameter. 78a on the hardness. Works well for me. I am usually going down a bike path when outside.
okcskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Derrick

Default ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcskater View Post
I use Atom Pulse wheel for my outdoor skating. I think they are 65mm diameter. 78a on the hardness. Works well for me. I am usually going down a bike path when outside.
Atom Pulse, I kinda like the bigger radius. They seem to hold up really well. I can still do three turns and such on the smooth areas like basketball courts
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 05:56 AM   #5
Armadillo

If you want speed and roll, 78A urethane and wider than 38mm (30-35 better) are not going to cut it, from 78A being too squishy and wider wheels giving too much drag.
Correct, Heliums will not last very long, especially, as you point out doing T-stops, from their initially too-thin layer of urethane.

Drag is also higher with anything less than 70mm diameter. 80-84A firmness is more appropriate for all but the worst rolling surface roughness.

All that said if you just want a low price off the shelf set of wheels that do not need modifications to fit a quad skate, all wheels suggested are adequate, though not very good.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; September 11th, 2015 at 03:32 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 05:40 AM   #6
Bunny_Hop

Since there's already a thread open about outdoor wheels, I'll jump in here...

I'm very interested in the suggestions given to the OP as I skate very similar situations to the ones listed. I'm around 55kg/120 pounds, which I believe means I will need softer wheels to attain the same amount of grip?

I currently use - and have used for over 1.5 years of outdoor skating - these super-cheap wheels: http://www.skaterhq.com.au/roller-sk...-set-of-8.html Love the narrowness and not too fussed with the small size but another skater commented that softer wheels could give a more comfortable/"quieter" roll as one of the major places I skate is pavers with small spaces between them. And if I could get taller wheels without losing the agility, it might make some surface changes easier, right?

These wheels ("Juice Smoothie"?!) look a bit narrower than the Atom Pulses but they definitely don't have the same good reputation. http://sydneyderbyskates.com/shop/in...oducts_id=1858 I haven't really been able to find out anything about them. Anyone used them?

ETA: Looked further into the Juice Smoothies and they are the same width as the Atom Pulses (actually 1 mm more - 38mm). http://www.juiceskatewheels.com/product/smoothie/ I love the colours of them though! If it comes down to those vs the Atom Pulses (and with their identical width, diameter and hardness I'd guess they are Juice's competitor product) I might choose them for the colours.

ETA: Discovered a shop called Derby Warehouse which, while it's in the US and therefore very expensive shipping for me (though prices so low it could be worth it) has a HUGE selection of wheels. Including these: http://www.derbywarehouse.com/Radar_...scpage-EG.html 78A, 65mm high and 35mm wide.

Last edited by Bunny_Hop; September 8th, 2015 at 10:34 PM.
Bunny_Hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:48 AM   #7
Armadillo

Bunny Hop,

What kind of plates are you rolling outdoors. Can they take 70mm or larger wheels? You would be amazed how much better a narrow 70mm or larger wheel in a narrow 32mm width at 78A-80A would handle "pavers"

Trouble is, all the best ones in production are longboard wheels, and the ones for skates are all out of production. Longboard wheels mostly need at least one side to be shaved away to make them narrower or the prevent them hitting the truck/plate,

You really want to consider having wheels with decent sized hubs at widths that go all the way across the urethane layer. A protruding lip just sucks up energy amd undermines rebound .

The all urethane/no hub wheels may be good on pavers, but they suck on decent asphalt. They are unbeatable on their price though.

-Armadillo
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #8
BigFoot

Landyachtz Zombie Hawgs Longboard Wheels 76mm 86a Teal. I am 6 175 lbs. I regularly search for new wheels, but so far this is the best outdoor wheel currently in production. Fast, smooth, grippy and slow wearing. Only problem is they are too wide. I cut mine down to 30mm. Alternatively, you can have them cut down for you.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #9
Bunny_Hop

Thanks Armadillo! I am using Roll Line Variant M plates. My current wheels are only 58mm (well, it says that but I'm pretty sure they are more like 56mm...) so I'm having trouble getting a visual idea of how they'd handle a wheel that is 15+mm larger than that.

I'm imagining basically any larger, softer wheel would be better than what I have now, especially on the pavers. I have to say these current wheels aren't bad on asphalt, maybe because they're harder than 78A, although I have nothing to compare them to other than the second-hand, socks-stuffed-in-the-toes inlines I had as a kid. So I could always keep these ones for asphalt. :P
Old September 12th, 2015, 01:58 AM   #10
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Landyachtz Zombie Hawgs Longboard Wheels 76mm 86a Teal. I am 6’ 175 lbs. I regularly search for new wheels, but so far this is the best outdoor wheel currently in production. Fast, smooth, grippy and slow wearing. Only problem is they are too wide. I cut mine down to 30mm. Alternatively, you can have them cut down for you.
I am rolling both a set of the 86A 76mm Z-Hawgs and a set of 84A as well.
The 30mm width contact patch seems rather slim? Do you have an slipping issues on any surfaces at times?
Both my sets are near 35+mm amd I am planning to narrow them further on the outside and cut away some of the inside at an angle above thee big radius on the inside to reduce the useless weight it represents just ptotruding out over the radius.

At 165 pounds, I would say that when the asphalt is good to excellent, the 86A are faster, but as it drops to medium-poor, then the 84A are better.

So far, the 76mm Z-Hawgs are best wheels Ive ever rolled, but I want to test the 80mm Orangatang Kegel longboard wheels in both the 80A and 83A versions to see if they are really any better than the Z-hawgs.
The European outdoor racers all seem to like the Kegels better.

-Armadillo
Old September 12th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #11
BigFoot

I have not had any slipping issues with the 30mm width. I do a lot of carving when I skate and they hold tight through the turns, even on hard turns, and on smooth surfaces. IMO, they are a little too grippy for smooth hockey stops. They grip well on beach trails where there is always a light dusting of windblown sand. I can’t explain the good grip at this hardness; it must be the performance of the urethane. You have to cut into the hub when you go down to 30mm, so I will prolly avoid this by going up to 35mm on my next set.

The Orangatang Kegels look good. 4mm taller than the Hawgs for maybe a slightly smoother roll. Good medium sized hub. The bearing seat is offset, so might have to cut both sides of the wheel? Because I am a speed freak, I would like a harder wheel, but 83a isn’t too bad. Give us a review after testing, Dillo.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 03:45 AM   #12
Acid Burn
Rollerskatin' Parts Wench

Too bad Radar discontinued the Fuel wheels..... guess nodoby wanted to pay $100 for outdoor wheels.... but I loved mine. Unfortunately one got a huge flat spot in it from doing T-stops so now I have a set of seven.

Having said that I knew a lot of heavier skaters loved them, at least the heavier girls I lent mine to around here fell in love with them.
Acid Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #13
Alakablamo

I've got a few hundred miles on a set of Dillo-cut Zombie Hawg 70mm, 84A wheels. Seems like the perfect height, width, and durometer for the paved trails the Wife and I skate. Some sections can get a little rough, so 84A is probably the ceiling for me.

I could handle a 76mm or 80mm wheels, but I'd have to modify the basic el cheapo Riedell R3 boots that I've got them mounted on.

For reference, I'm 6'1" and about 160 lbs.
Alakablamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 07:20 PM   #14
okcskater
Still rollin' @ 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcskater View Post
Side note, you guys are light . I weigh in at 6'2" and 230lbs!
okcskater is offline   Reply With Quote