S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old December 13th, 2016, 03:30 AM   #1
Boarddesign

Default Sticky mounting?

Is there a sticky or master thread for mounting plates?

I have a size four powerdyne composite plates and I just bought some soccer cleats (size 6) and flattened the bottoms and added carbon bases on them. There isn't much room front to back for adjustment but I was going to mount them as far forward as I could. Any info for getting the placement dialed?

These are a project my son and I are building together, they are for him. We have $35 into them, if they fail its not an expensive one.
Boarddesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default You can use the search mode to find them...

Enter "plate alignment" in the quad forum search box.

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...archid=3825277

Sadly there are ~ a zillion ways to mount plates. Different alignments, different wheel base to foot size ratio's.... ad infinitum. There have been many many heated discussions in the quad forum all based on personal preference with the posters version of "science" or experience in other athletic endeavors used to support the points made.

Based on your post, if the plate is that long, it is too long, in my book. However, that would not keep it from being usable.

Good luck.
Old December 13th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Advice on this is almost always a catch 22.

However, if you have some grippy soft soled shoes, you can just place the plates on the ground stand on the plates and skate them to some degree (sticky skating, never lifting a foot. Using only edges) even grapevine is possible lol

Soo, before we mounted a friends avenger, I put some SG yellows in it and we took it to the park with some outdoor wheels on it, and strolled around on some smooth blacktop. We were able to adjust our foot placement (mount ) over the plate to check where we liked our axles. We both have been skating for some time.

In the end it wont matter that much, everyone makes a adjustment to the stuff they use.

After you get alot of skate time under your belt you'll learn where you want your axles, and where you want them as alignment goes. Its pretty much personal preferences, and what type of skating your interested in.
Old December 14th, 2016, 05:56 PM   #4
Boarddesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Advice on this is almost always a catch 22.

However, if you have some grippy soft soled shoes, you can just place the plates on the ground stand on the plates and skate them to some degree (sticky skating, never lifting a foot. Using only edges) even grapevine is possible lol

Soo, before we mounted a friends avenger, I put some SG yellows in it and we took it to the park with some outdoor wheels on it, and strolled around on some smooth blacktop. We were able to adjust our foot placement (mount ) over the plate to check where we liked our axles. We both have been skating for some time.

In the end it won't matter that much, everyone makes a adjustment to the stuff they use.

After you get alot of skate time under your belt you'll learn where you want your axles, and where you want them as alignment goes. Its pretty much personal preferences, and what type of skating your interested in.
Unfortunately, I will never know how they skate! The are for my 10 year old son. He was in a stock built Riedell R2 size 4 skate, he outgrew them so we looked at replacing them only to not like the pricing of doing so. I have seen many guys here do soccer skates and saw some at the outlets for $19, carbon $10, and 5 min epoxy $5. Figured it would be a fun build to do together and that if they sucked he only has to wear them for a year or so until he outgrows and at $34 it wasn't a big deal.

Now to mount them… I'll give it a shot!
Old December 15th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #5
Rollmazicon

You'll need T-nuts and bolts as well (unless you want to hazard the glue mount route). #6 hardware should be fine. Front-back placement is up to you, but you generally want to center the front axle so that the plate doesn't turn when he applies pressure on the ball of his foot (have an equal amount of axle/wheel showing on either side when looking down at the skate).
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarddesign View Post
Now to mount them… I'll give it a shot!

Soooo how did it come out?? Pix??
Old December 21st, 2016, 03:48 AM   #7
Boarddesign

Well… It went ok for what I was trying to do? haha The cool part was letting my son do most of the build himself. The way the shoes line up on the plate look a little jenky but when I look straight down they are centered side to side. My bolts were the reused ones from the old skates (sorry, I'm sure most will complain about how ugly they are). The reason I did the carbon was the shoe were so pliable and the plate narrow, I thought the soles would bend over the plate.

My son skated them last Thursday here in S.D. (first time skating since we moved down here), he liked them a lot!

Wait… How do I attach pictures?
Old December 21st, 2016, 03:49 AM   #8
Boarddesign

The "posting rules" on the bottom left says I may NOT post attachments WTF?
Old December 21st, 2016, 01:41 PM   #9
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Wink Uh, I cannot either...

Instructions are here: http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=476
Old December 21st, 2016, 05:07 PM   #10
Boarddesign

I tried… it sucks
Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:49 PM   #11
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

I'm sorry, what kind of issues are you having?? I have been doing it for years.. A computer genius I am not.
Old December 26th, 2016, 06:18 PM   #12
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarddesign View Post
I tried… it sucks
WTF sucks about it?

Easy as pie and it WORKS! Unlike those that jigger around the system and save images here costing the mods money and making their images only appear under certain OS/ browser/login combinations. Put your image on the Internet, copy and paste link. I'd assume anyone in the 21st century could handle that!

Sorry Doc, had to vent...