S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:38 AM   #1
Daisydoo

Default Speed skating question.....

I read a lot about speed skating related questions here....and bearing in mind that there are NO skating rinks (aside from ice rinks) within 90 plus miles from here....I wonder this.....

When I think of speed skating I think of a movie that was made by Disney in where the lead lady was part time speed skater and I think the movie might have been the Shaggy D.A. but I am not sure. Anyway, she belonged to a team and they basically knocked as many opposing players down as possible.
So is this speed skating? Or is it a rink that is designed to skate very fast around and around with no knocking people down? Is speed skating something offered at all rinks or just very few or is something that has to have its own rink?
It sounds interesting and something I would love to look into but the rinks that are closest to me - again 90 miles away - are just kiddie happy birthday sort of rinks.
Any info would be great!
Daisydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 02:53 AM   #2
HVSkater

Nope, no knocking each other down in speed skating (at least you're not supposed to!)...

You may be thinking of roller derby.

Most speed skating these days is done on inline speed skates (although it's done on quads too). There is both indoor and outdoor speed skating. It's basically like a running race or bicycle race (no purposely knocking each other over). Indoor is on an oval track--either a special track or a rink that is set up for it--and outdoor is generally done as a road race (or could be an outdoor track or velodrome type).
HVSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Daisydoo

Okay. I was thinking of roller derby - I do have to remember that Disney movie though - made in the late sixties...possibly early seventies.

Speed skating does sound fun - indoors though - there are none here as I mentioned which is too bad. If I travel, I will look into indoor rinks though and try it out.
Daisydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

It depends on the rink if they have speed or not. Around here, most of the rinks have disbanded their speed teams due to a lack of interest. However, some rinks still have speed practice. Ask around.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote