S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old July 6th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #1
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

Default How's that quad-double push coming along?

Chuck,

I know you've been working on this. How's it coming?

We have just finished our "off season" (though one month off isn't really a season IMO) and are starting back with technique and endurance sessions this weekend, and it got me thinking on your endeavor to double push effectively on quads.

So how goes it?
New Orleans, Louisiana
PowerSnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I actually haven't been on my quads much lately, as I'm preparing for next's week's Montreal inline race.

Boston's starting up their pre-season practices and scrimmages this coming weekend and Providence is mid-season, but I don't practice with them. I've only been a "guest referee" at their bouts, one of which was on June 30.

As far as the quad DP goes, it's relatively easy once you get the mechanics of it down. And you adjust your trucks to allow your wheels to stay flat on the ground during the underpush.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #3
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

I forgot the Montreal thing. Best of luck!

I've tried to DP, and loosened the trucks way up, but I'm too goofy footed. I can do something sort of like it, but the arch of the underpush is about three times as long as it should be to be effective! I't pretty funny to see, actually.

I've been working on the cross, cross, cross. I'm determined to beat 30 laps in 5 minutes by the end of boot camp at the end of this month. I've gotten as many as 27, once, and I've got to break it. It's all about the cross on this little track.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #4
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I cant do it either. I just let my little legs fly!
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Loosening up the trucks to get the double push is a bit tricky. You need the action loose to get the push to work correctly, but then you need the action to have some stiffness to it for stability at speed. Interestingly enough, right now, the action on my speed skates is looser than the action on my art skates, and both sets of skates have an art plates.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #6
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

Agreed. If my trucks are loose enough to sort of DP, I would get creamed playing derby because I couldn't avoid a hit. It's something I play with only on rec skate days. NOT for practices.

Besides the fact that the track is so freakin tiny that you can maybe get half a stride on each side that isn't a crossover. DP just isn't good for derby.

But, having been on these boards with so many inliners, I can see the advantage of it on IL boots, especially outdoors. It's always fun to tweek the process. It all helps you feel more and more comfortable on skates.
New Orleans, Louisiana