S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:26 PM   #41
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
merlin, thats they type of set up my wheels will be forward! Just on the rear, it will be a long plate so those will be flush rear. Just let me ask you, up forward like that, is the centerline still found the same way as the artistic set up? Just because when you get to the tips of your toes, the boot goes inward towards your big toe so the wheels but your little toes will appear to stick out more. Is this correct? I think it is. I keep asking the same questions, sorry lol, just need to get it right the first time round.
You are correct - the center line is always found the same way. It "looks wrong" in a casual observation, but math wins over eyeballs every time
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:46 AM   #42
roller_dudette
skate addict!

OK, I got my plates, ready to mount. Do I need to fill in the holes, if so with what? How should I hold my boot?
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:21 AM   #43
rwsz

Quote:
OK, I got my plates, ready to mount. Do I need to fill in the holes, if so with what? How should I hold my boot?

you really dont have to fill in the holes unless they are so close to where you need the holes that it will go into the new hole. you can fill it in with wood dowels, or chips of wood or leather, anything like that you have on hand. even match sticks, wood ones of course. well you have to have something solid to put the boot on to drill the holes, to mount it after with the nuts you can do it by hand. i use a piece of wood i shape into a foot somewhat and drill the holes on that, that way of you drill too far you wont drill into the top leather of the boot. good luck
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:47 AM   #44
roller_dudette
skate addict!

So what type of wood, just 2 pieces of a 2X4 or something I trim with a jigsaw? I've never done this beforehand so anything anyone can share, please do!
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:50 AM   #45
rwsz

Quote:
So what type of wood, just 2 pieces of a 2X4 or something I trim with a jigsaw? I've never done this beforehand so anything anyone can share, please do!
not a 2 x4 but maybe a 1 by 3 and you can use a jigsaw and i usually attach that piece to a 2 by 4 and put it in a vicegrip to hold it,,,,but there are other ways to do it depending on what is available. if you have any carpenter or mechanic friends they can help you.
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:54 AM   #46
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I can build my own furniture and have. Including a rolling painting stool that can hold an umbrella lol. So I think I can do this if I just understand the instructions. So I can trace my foot, attach it to a 2x4, yes I have a vice grip, small drill first. Hum......and is the top centerline really all the way to the 2nd and 3rd toes? Would 2nd be OK? Right now it goes to the center of my big toe. Or should I just find the center at the ball of foot, under the ankle bone and draw a line?
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:01 AM   #47
rwsz

Quote:
I can build my own furniture and have. Including a rolling painting stool that can hold an umbrella lol. So I think I can do this if I just understand the instructions. So I can trace my foot, attach it to a 2x4, yes I have a vice grip, small drill first. Hum......and is the top centerline really all the way to the 2nd and 3rd toes? Would 2nd be OK? Right now it goes to the center of my big toe. Or should I just find the center at the ball of foot, under the ankle bone and draw a line?

dont make it quite the size of the boot,,,,i usually just make it like a long thin piece the boot will fit well on as you want it to fit easily on it. you should mount it as center as possible, remember usually its off to the outside at the front of the plate about 1/4 inch for a reference. between the second and third toe is good. eye ball it so that when the boot is sitting on the plate it looks like it will roll straight. draw a line for the center and the ball of the foot.
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:07 AM   #48
roller_dudette
skate addict!

OK, I can see even with a pencil marks on the soul. Its an almost black rubber sole though. Should I make the wooden boot insert angle up to slop it on and have it attach to the 2x4 by the heel? Thanks for the reference! Just scares me to have it that far over to the left when its been centered to the center of my big toe. You cant see the wheels even on both sides up front. They go to the inside! Thats why I want to do it myself now.

Old September 21st, 2007, 03:31 AM   #49
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I only need one "wooden" foot right? And a long screw to build up an ankle too? Just cut some blocks for that to a 2x4? Gosh, I'm so excited, cant wait to start!! When does Home Depot open lol? I need a piece of wood.
Old September 21st, 2007, 05:43 AM   #50
roller_dudette
skate addict!

So are these centered? Am I ready to drill? They go to the middle of my 2nd toe, much better then the middle of my big toe. But one hole will already be in the stitching so thats as good as it gets. Unless I dill into the plastic which I prefer not to do.

Last edited by roller_dudette; September 21st, 2007 at 08:19 AM.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 05:05 PM   #51
roller_dudette
skate addict!

would I use a 5/32 bit for the last drill?
Old September 21st, 2007, 05:12 PM   #52
rwsz

Quote:
I only need one "wooden" foot right? And a long screw to build up an ankle too? Just cut some blocks for that to a 2x4? Gosh, I'm so excited, cant wait to start!! When does Home Depot open lol? I need a piece of wood.

yes just one and dont need it to curve, your wheels should look pretty even on both sides of the boot when you look down on it, the plate should be mounted more to the outside of the boot and not the inside.
Old September 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM   #53
rwsz

Quote:
So are these centered? Am I ready to drill? They go to the middle of my 2nd toe, much better then the middle of my big toe. But one hole will already be in the stitching so thats as good as it gets. Unless I dill into the plastic which I prefer not to do.

looks ok but hard to tell as the plate looks too large for the boot, is this for aggrressive, is that how they mount them, large? if you notice the front axel isnt under the ball of your foot. the drill bit depends on the size of your screw, i usually use 6mm screws to fit most plate holes. if your bolts are larger then the plate holes you can enlarge them a bit with a drill bit. i usally use at least 3 drill bit sizes, starting with a small one and working up to my last size.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 01:06 AM   #54
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
looks ok but hard to tell as the plate looks too large for the boot, is this for aggrressive, is that how they mount them, large? if you notice the front axel isnt under the ball of your foot. the drill bit depends on the size of your screw, i usually use 6mm screws to fit most plate holes. if your bolts are larger then the plate holes you can enlarge them a bit with a drill bit. i usally use at least 3 drill bit sizes, starting with a small one and working up to my last size.
Its for vert, thats the whole point of it. To get the front wheels under the base of my toes!! NOT an artistic setup which it was beforehand. This is an aggressive setup. Thats why noone else would go for it lol. This is how its done most the time for vert. This is why I am learning this myself. Next step WIDER trucks!!

I guess I have to guess on drill bit sizes. The bolts are 5mm.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 01:37 AM   #55
rwsz

Quote:
Its for vert, thats the whole point of it. To get the front wheels under the base of my toes!! NOT an artistic setup which it was beforehand. This is an aggressive setup. Thats why noone else would go for it lol. This is how its done most the time for vert. This is why I am learning this myself. Next step WIDER trucks!!

I guess I have to guess on drill bit sizes. The bolts are 5mm.

ok thats cool on the mount, just take the drill bit and put it at the end of the boot and match it. good luck
Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:15 PM   #56
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I need it, its time.......... Rule 1. Dont hold breathe right? lol.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:35 AM   #57
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I'm now a proud mommy of my very own handmade skates!

They are so perfect, so beautiful.........thanks Rick and ncsk8girl. They're so centered, woo-hoo! A proud mama!!
Old September 23rd, 2007, 03:24 AM   #58
rwsz

Quote:
I'm now a proud mommy of my very own handmade skates!

They are so perfect, so beautiful.........thanks Rick and ncsk8girl. They're so centered, woo-hoo! A proud mama!!

good job rb and enjoy now,,,,dont forget to break the long part of the screws off so they dont mess up your wheels.