S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old July 4th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Derrick

Default What cha dealing with?

Seems like a lot of us are dealing with health stuff and are willing to share. Mostly injuries, but I deal with an ulcer and gall bladder stuff. I can control both with diet but Independence day here in the states kinda did me in. I'm out of commission for a bit, and it's heath food for me (and no alcohol) for the foreseeable future. Thing is, I feel great as long as I eat right. And I like skating and bicycling more than rich food, so I'm wiling to sacrifice.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #2
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Seems like a lot of us are dealing with health stuff and are willing to share. Mostly injuries, but I deal with an ulcer and gall bladder stuff. I can control both with diet but Independence day here in the states kinda did me in. I'm out of commission for a bit, and it's heath food for me (and no alcohol) for the foreseeable future. Thing is, I feel great as long as I eat right. And I like skating and bicycling more than rich food, so I'm wiling to sacrifice.
Hate to tell you, but yester day was not Independence day, today is. So eat up.

OK just saw you are on today, just started early. why does the time stamp have us posting at 3:15 and 3:19 PM?
Here it is 8:23 AM.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #3
Derrick

Default I was just about to edit realizing today is the 4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post

OK just saw you are on today, just started early. why does the time stamp have us posting at 3:15 and 3:19 PM?
Our town celebrated on the 3rd this year. It' cheaper to get certified fireworks-shooter-off-ers on a day other than the fouth.
Old July 4th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #4
Derrick

Default Posting time delima

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post

Unsure about the posting times. Certainly not GMT, perhaps the server is not set to a time server. Forum admins?
Old July 4th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #5
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Time stamps go off every now and again. There was a database error yesterday, might have had something to do with it.

I deal with thyroiditis Hashimoto's disease. Low thyroid output that wants to make me fat and lethargic. I got it under control with NDT meds, and my weight has about normalized again. Got about 10lbs to go.

I have to skate daily. If I don't my weight spikes drastically. Over the two months here in OKC that we had ice and snow last february, I gained 40 lbs.

Can't have gluten. I'm a strict vegetarian/organic nut. Locally sourced milk and eggs are my protein. Diet is king, exercise is queen, and the hormones are your court jester!
Old July 4th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #6
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Wondering, we used a dentist for 25 years that just kept cleaning our teeth, he sold and the new dentist suggested we go see a periodontist, that guy wanted to do 1/4 of the mouth at a time, cut the gums scrape the teeth, let it heal for 2 months and do another section, we were aghast, found a periolase place nearby, they just peeled the gums back and went to town, did 1/2 the mouth and a week or two later the other half, what a pleasure, two months later, wow, no more ulcer, no more stomach cramps, so...how are your teeth, I thought mine were great, (now I look at the teeth of the people in the town with the damned dentist and I notice most people are toothless)

BTW, all things in moderation
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Derrick

Default Ulcer update

Off of the Nexium. I'm going to need to renew the prescription. Last time I was in to see the Doc, I felt so well I was seeing about dropping the prescript. But symptoms have returned.

Seems the best thing I can do it is eat less. Much less. I'm not generally a glut or anything, but I have to control the portions. The weight loss helps the ulcer as well as not digesting as much at once.

Still I can feel it in there. Still working on it.

I was for the fist time low on iron when I gave blood. They had to do two checks to get me in, then just barely. Dangerous self-diagnosis (WebMd): The ulcer is leaking the iron. But it takes time to rebuild the iron even after the ulcer is gone. Luckily, I love liver; beef or chicken. And chicken livers are extremly cheap.
Old July 16th, 2014, 01:35 AM   #8
Derrick

Default still dealing

Quote:
Off of the Nexium. I'm going to need to renew the prescription. Last time I was in to see the Doc, I felt so well I was seeing about dropping the prescript. But symptoms have returned.

Seems the best thing I can do it is eat less. Much less. I'm not generally a glut or anything, but I have to control the portions. The weight loss helps the ulcer as well as not digesting as much at once.

Still I can feel it in there. Still working on it.

I was for the fist time low on iron when I gave blood. They had to do two checks to get me in, then just barely. Dangerous self-diagnosis (WebMd): The ulcer is leaking the iron. But it takes time to rebuild the iron even after the ulcer is gone. Luckily, I love liver; beef or chicken. And chicken livers are extremly cheap.
Ate some liver got some iron supliments. Symptoms got worse but is getting better now. Strength is very good though. With the 5 lbs weight loss I am able to Shoot the Duck again. Is that 15 to 20 lbs off of my knees ( never knew how they figured that)?
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:59 PM   #9
Derrick

Default Ulcer symptom flair up

Obvious sings of bleeding at this point. I have already had the barrium test, so I'm pretty sure it's just an ulcer. I'm going to get the standard "I'm male and getting older" tests to make double sure.

I have anemia that I'm taking a suppliment for. A little pain but not too much. But as for lethargy and weakness I haven't had yet, thankfully. I'm still quite active.

Going to double my diet efforts to get it back under control. If that doesn't work, it's back to the doc.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Derrick

Quote:
Obvious sings of bleeding at this point. I have already had the barrium test, so I'm pretty sure it's just an ulcer. I'm going to get the standard "I'm male and getting older" tests to make double sure.

I have anemia that I'm taking a suppliment for. A little pain but not too much. But as for lethargy and weakness I haven't had yet, thankfully. I'm still quite active.

Going to double my diet efforts to get it back under control. If that doesn't work, it's back to the doc.
rewording previous message ---there's bacon cooked and ready and I can't eat it.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 04:21 PM   #11
MLPearson79

Interesting, the dental connection with ailments. No one ever thinks of it like that.

I have psoriatic arthritis and take weekly Enbrel injections. Mostly it effects my fingers and toes, but I do get some occasional low back stiffness. But I keep saying if Phil Mickelson can live with it, I should be just fine. The injections have worked wonders.
MLPearson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 04:25 PM   #12
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLPearson79 View Post
Interesting, the dental connection with ailments. No one ever thinks of it like that.

I have psoriatic arthritis and take weekly Enbrel injections. Mostly it effects my fingers and toes, but I do get some occasional low back stiffness. But I keep saying if Phil Mickelson can live with it, I should be just fine. The injections have worked wonders.
Yes, infection in the mouth is continued right through the digestive system, and I'm pointing out I unknowingly was suffering needlessly, the next item on a list of common unknown ailments, lyme disease, easily obtained, often ignored, hard to eradicate (it's easy to get again) and increasing in frequency.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 05:14 PM   #13
MLPearson79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Yes, infection in the mouth is continued right through the digestive system, and I'm pointing out I unknowingly was suffering needlessly, the next item on a list of common unknown ailments, lyme disease, easily obtained, often ignored, hard to eradicate (it's easy to get again) and increasing in frequency.
Yes, interestingly I had a go round with Lyme's back in 2009. Not recommended. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck for about 3 months, and had 3 weeks of IV antibiotic.
Old August 4th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #14
kentek

Default ulcer?

Seems that ulcers shouldn't be that hard to cure:
Pepto-Bismol and antibiotics are what the vets developed for animals. That's what finally got into the human medical system.

I'd get a 2nd opinion or go see a vet.
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #15
Derrick

Quote:
Not dismissing this as a possibility.
Old August 10th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #16
Derrick

Default Ok I can no longer connect the nurological stuff with the ulcer

I'm getting numb in fleshy part of my hands runinng from pinky up the inside of my arm. This happens usually when I wake up after lying down all night. And the feet somehat. It's coupled with palpetations. Blood pressure is just slightly high.

What I can and can not feel is very hard to describe., I suspect if you poked the area with a pin, I may know it, but not be able to determine that it was sharp. I just tried it, it felt like it itches for half a second then goes away. My brain reacts to the sensation, but I'm not fully picking it up. The doc thinks I should have my head examined (he agrees with my friends and neighbors).

Affects roller skating? Not that I know of.

Oh yes, wierd clue, I go throuh times, weeks long, where I can't taste salt at all. I'm currently there. It's a great weight loss program, " Hey, what sounds good to you?" "uh.........fruit".

Well docsk8 can't help me on this one.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:39 AM   #17
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Wondering, we used a dentist for 25 years that just kept cleaning our teeth, he sold and the new dentist suggested we go see a periodontist, that guy wanted to do 1/4 of the mouth at a time, cut the gums scrape the teeth, let it heal for 2 months and do another section, we were aghast, found a periolase place nearby, they just peeled the gums back and went to town, did 1/2 the mouth and a week or two later the other half, what a pleasure, two months later, wow, no more ulcer, no more stomach cramps, so...how are your teeth, I thought mine were great, (now I look at the teeth of the people in the town with the damned dentist and I notice most people are toothless)

BTW, all things in moderation
You don't have to floss all of your teeth, just the ones you want to keep.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 04:42 PM   #18
MLPearson79

Quote:
I'm getting numb in fleshy part of my hands runinng from pinky up the inside of my arm. This happens usually when I wake up after lying down all night. And the feet somehat. It's coupled with palpetations. Blood pressure is just slightly.
Can't explain the other stuff, but the numbness is textbook ulnar neuritis.
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:39 PM   #19
Derrick

Default The symptoms went away as suddenly as they came

Quote:
I'm getting numb in fleshy part of my hands runinng from pinky up the inside of my arm. This happens usually when I wake up after lying down all night. And the feet somehat. It's coupled with palpetations. Blood pressure is just slightly high.

What I can and can not feel is very hard to describe., I suspect if you poked the area with a pin, I may know it, but not be able to determine that it was sharp. I just tried it, it felt like it itches for half a second then goes away. My brain reacts to the sensation, but I'm not fully picking it up. The doc thinks I should have my head examined (he agrees with my friends and neighbors).

Affects roller skating? Not that I know of.

Oh yes, wierd clue, I go throuh times, weeks long, where I can't taste salt at all. I'm currently there. It's a great weight loss program, " Hey, what sounds good to you?" "uh.........fruit".

Well docsk8 can't help me on this one.
I did lose a few pounds and eating fairly good. Ulcer symptoms came and went again. Diet diet diet. iron suplements, vitamin C. Seems to be doing the trick.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 01:16 AM   #20
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

What do you eat Derrick?

On a normal day, what goes in?