S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

View Poll Results: Will 3x125 be good for the future of our sport?
Positive Impact 15 45.45%
Negative Impact 7 21.21%
No Impact 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 6th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #1
Spencer.Berry

Default Will 3x125 be good for the future of our sport?

Regardless of whether you personally want to skate on 3x125, do you think that the availability of top quality 3x125 wheels and frames would have a positive impact on our sport, a negative impact on our sport, or no impact at all?
Spencer.Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #2
AZ Roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer.Berry View Post
Regardless of whether you personally want to skate on 3x125, do you think that the availability of top quality 3x125 wheels and frames would have a positive impact on our sport, a negative impact on our sport, or no impact at all?
Every sport evolves or it dies. Look at all sports today and compare to even ten years back, they are all a little different with changes in technology, rules changes, training technics and such.

Right now the question is will the manufacturers invest in this change as the cost to develop a product and bring to production for consumers isn't cheap. Is there a big enough demand for the manufacturers to do the R&D and bring it to market. I'm waiting for the carbon fiber frame to come in this size, that may be a long wait.

Right now anything to advance the sport of speed skating is a positive and if this does that then it's a good thing.
Old March 6th, 2015, 05:59 PM   #3
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Generally likely have a positive impact. Bigger question is what will happen to the businesses that won't change with the times, like Bont, who probably won't get into the 125mm game for a while since their primary product won't work with that wheel size, namely the 3-pt. Will this lead to a bigger sport, probably not. 125s look intimidating, and it will only be the hard core people on those set ups. New skaters will probably be put onto 3x110 or 3x100 with the goal of stepping up to 3x125. Ankle strength will still be an issue for new skaters, so expect to see the 4-wheel set ups around for a long time. It should make the sport more fun to watch, with blow-out wins to start and a lot of much faster skating later. We still have an image problem, though. Derby is taking a lot of speed skaters away, too, like Tony Muse and our own Skater_Gator, who swears she will still keep one foot in the speed world, too. Regardless of this evolution, it will stay a small sport.
Old March 6th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #4
usask8er1
Matt

I think it depends how we address the new technology. I think we need to make rules like some places in europe have and not allow athletes under a certain age or height to be on them as it can actually hurt them later on in the sport. If addressed correctly, it can help the sport.
usask8er1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 06:14 PM   #5
TBrown

My only concern with 3x125 is if it steepens and lengthens the already difficult learning curve for inline speed skating. We all see kids (and adults) who are on 100 or 110mm wheels who really should be on 80 or 90mm wheels.

What could happen is if now 125s are the thing, new enthusiastic skaters who want to be like their skating heroes will jump right in on that size. It may be even harder for them to hold those edges, frustration and pain will be even greater, and they might be more likely to just bag the whole thing and go play another sport.

Again, most beginners shouldn't be on 125s, just like they shouldn't be on 110s, but you know they will.

But I haven't skated on 125s yet, so maybe in some ways (gyroscopic stabilization, lighter weight) it could be easier than the difficulty I'm assuming will exist.
TBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #6
TBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by usask8er1 View Post
I think it depends how we address the new technology. I think we need to make rules like some places in europe have and not allow athletes under a certain age or height to be on them as it can actually hurt them later on in the sport. If addressed correctly, it can help the sport.
exactly!
TBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Letme

Quote:
Originally Posted by usask8er1 View Post
I must say I agree with this. The Senior and probably Junior should be "no limit" groups, but rest need some regulations to avoid loosing people due to medical issues.
Old March 6th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #8
reely?
2016 US National Champion

IMO, they will make "most" faster and will have a positive outcome record book wise. Mach 5 quote equipment far all but all's not for everyone, agree 100%. Agreed... max wheel limitations for the inexperienced, elementary and under. Total diameter should determine this, ex: 360TD = 4x90 max > 3x110= 330TD, Yes IMO. Similar to chain length limit in Jr cycling.

Spring, TX.
reely? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #9
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
Generally likely have a positive impact. Bigger question is what will happen to the businesses that won't change with the times, like Bont, who probably won't get into the 125mm game for a while since their primary product won't work with that wheel size, namely the 3-pt. Will this lead to a bigger sport, probably not. 125s look intimidating, and it will only be the hard core people on those set ups. New skaters will probably be put onto 3x110 or 3x100 with the goal of stepping up to 3x125. Ankle strength will still be an issue for new skaters, so expect to see the 4-wheel set ups around for a long time. It should make the sport more fun to watch, with blow-out wins to start and a lot of much faster skating later. We still have an image problem, though. Derby is taking a lot of speed skaters away, too, like Tony Muse and our own Skater_Gator, who swears she will still keep one foot in the speed world, too. Regardless of this evolution, it will stay a small sport.
Bont has moved away from the dedicated 3 Point boots and to standard 195mm 2 point boots with a 3rd point option (3pf) attached to the frame that can work on any boot. Which means that you can toss a 3x125 frame on their premiere boots just fine (clearance issues aside, which can come up with many 195mm mount boots.) I don't think they even have Vaypors and Zs in 3 point anymore, just Jet and blow, at least as far as their web site is concerned.
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 03:47 AM   #10
onurleft

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
- don't think they even have Vaypors and Zs in 3 point anymore, just Jet and blow -
Exactly the word i'd use to describe the Semi-Race, in my experience, lol.
onurleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #11
greazer
Forget oil... Grease!

Is 3x125 good for the future of the sport? We'll just have to wait and see. IMO frame configuration/wheelsize and "future of the sport" are not that directly linked.

I started out speedskating on 5x80 and have skated on pretty much everything since then, all I can say is that every step up has been making higher top end speeds possible. Although... As an outdoor marathon/endurance skater I never had that feeling going from 5x84 to 4x100 so I quickly ended up on 5x90, it was much better for me while most others, including the pro's, stuck with 4x100 untill 110's came along.

Now skating on 4x110 and 3x110+100 I can't help but wonder if 3x125 will work for me or be like 4x100. I'll find out soon enough when (or if?) more affordable 125mm wheels come to market. I'm not going to pay 200 Euro for a set of wheels or 150 Euro for a set without modern technology (flex band), especialy since Matter, even after all these years, still has not gotten rid of their hub problems...
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #12
bjvircks
Major Trouble

the way I see it... the 125mm wheel is not revolution or innovation, merely minor incremental evolution. Our sport will not blossom or stagnate with the appearance of 125s.

However... I think the appearance of 125 wheels could cause unwarranted stress to companies when they try to "keep up with the Joneses" and in doing so spend money, time and other resources to develop new wheels that look to have a small market to sell into. Blowing limited resources on a low return venture is a sure way to have otherwise viable equipment providers bleed to death. Either that... or they eventually charge A LOT for the wheels to recoup their development costs so they don't loose their shirts and our sport gets more expensive.
Old March 7th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #13
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Since I'm finally moving to 110's after nearly 8 years, it won't affect me.

I thought about going straight to 125s, but have decided against, since thew variety of wheels isn't there yet.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #14
evilzzz

Faster has little to do with better in terms of making the sport more accessible. If anything I would be more inclined to take the opposite stance and say that they make speed skating look even further removed from rec skating and therefore more difficult to get into. 110s have done bugger all to arrest the decline, 125s won't either. But everyone who was faster than you will still be faster than you.

Despite that rant I voted "no overall change"
Old March 7th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #15
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzzz View Post
Faster has little to do with better in terms of making the sport more accessible. If anything I would be more inclined to take the opposite stance and say that they make speed skating look even further removed from rec skating and therefore more difficult to get into. 110s have done bugger all to arrest the decline, 125s won't either. But everyone who was faster than you will still be faster than you.

Despite that rant I voted "no overall change"
IMO, I think if rec skates were marketed with big wheels, then it would have a "cool" factor for people who don't skate on a regular basis. Im in the middle to be honest, I enjoy skating on them, but are they faster, better, etc? I don't know. I do think some people can benefit from them though, sure.
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #16
cass38a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrown View Post
My only concern with 3x125 is if it steepens and lengthens the already difficult learning curve for inline speed skating. We all see kids (and adults) who are on 100 or 110mm wheels who really should be on 80 or 90mm wheels.

What could happen is if now 125s are the thing, new enthusiastic skaters who want to be like their skating heroes will jump right in on that size. It may be even harder for them to hold those edges, frustration and pain will be even greater, and they might be more likely to just bag the whole thing and go play another sport.

Again, most beginners shouldn't be on 125s, just like they shouldn't be on 110s, but you know they will.

But I haven't skated on 125s yet, so maybe in some ways (gyroscopic stabilization, lighter weight) it could be easier than the difficulty I'm assuming will exist.
I agree with this 100% the sport doesn't get better just because it gets faster. The sport will get better when participation increases, not speed or wheel size.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 09:47 AM   #17
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

If it becomes a "standard" then yes, it will hurt the inline speed sport. The higher people are stilted up on their skates when learning, the harder that learning curve. Many try to use skates with too much elevation from the floor to make themselves faster or more competitive. It becomes a band-aid situation on a large open wound for many skaters out there.

We race around our rink like absolute fools during sessions and speed skatiing songs, the higher kids are on their skates the more they fall, and lose their edge control. One very competent skater I routinely skate with has just recently gotten good enough to be what I would call efficient at his 110 setup. His skating skill progression is not typical though, and an average Joe attempting to enter into a environment where you cannot use normal body movements(walking for instance) is going to have a lot of problems adapting. Lots of potential for falls the higher you are off the floor.

Smaller heights as wheels go with long frames would potentially increase the number of new comers, as its a LOT easier to control a 4-5 wheel 76-80 mm frame rather than a 4-5 wheel 84-90mm frame. Also the profile of the wheels matters alot too in the way they react.

Currently there doesn't seem to be much information available on stepping gear in a way that would accelerate ones progress or make skating speed inlines something thats "easy" to get into. Example 1st and 2nd year frames, 4x90 max size, run any wheels from72-90mms in it. This limits people to skill and skating prowess to win more than your 110's out rolling a set of 72mm wheels.

I vote it as bad, but only if its poorly adopted into the sport. People are too crazy about getting bigger wheels, faster speeds and faster times. A faster time should be relative to what gear you are on. Just because you gained a mechanical advantage didn't make you any better at skating.

Many other racing sports have a lot of limited classes out there, skating doesn't follow that yet and without it its going to fail.
Old March 8th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #18
Letme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Many other racing sports have a lot of limited classes out there, skating doesn't follow that yet and without it its going to fail.
You do realize that official rules forbid anything bigger than 110mm right? What more of a limitation do you wish to have? They will just change that number to 125mm if the size gets enough publicity, just like they did for 110's and 100's ... Limitation will always be there, but where we put it matters in terms of development of sport.
Old March 8th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #19
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letme View Post
You do realize that official rules forbid anything bigger than 110mm right? What more of a limitation do you wish to have? They will just change that number to 125mm if the size gets enough publicity, just like they did for 110's and 100's ... Limitation will always be there, but where we put it matters in terms of development of sport.
Some official rules for some races governed by some governing bodies forbid anything bigger than 110mm wheels. There are plenty of official races where 125mm wheels are A-OK!
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #20
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letme View Post
Yea I know some have the 110 stipulation, but how many have less than 100 or 90mm size stipulations? . How many have limitations base on a years in the sport or a "class"? Just look at automotive racing for a good comparison. You'll see inline speed skating is horribly lacking on its restrictions of gear . Especially for newcomers.

My point is you could have someone who has skated most of their life and never competed, and be in the beginners races, a complete ringer. On 110's and have great form. Then you have tue entry level skater new to the sport competing against them struggling with the new sport itself let alone trying to use equipment that is obviously better for a seasoned skater.