S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old May 27th, 2016, 03:20 AM   #1
McKool

Default 2016 - What skates do you roll with and why?

I started this thread to get some current 2016 updates as to what Brand and Model of skates people are rolling with and why they made that choice?

I'm new to skating (fitness & fun) and want to purchase some good skates for use on a 35 miles bike trail and around the University and such. More than that, I'm curious as to what everyone currently likes as far as skates go? Personally, I have my eye on some Seba High Lights. Thanks everyone!
McKool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 03:23 AM   #2
jmio

I have rollerblade igniter 100's, they good, quick and a lot of support. Only draw back is they have 2 different size wheels on the skate, not digging that. I have been skating for 2 months now, need to get my ankle strength up before I get some race skates. Most likely I'll be looking at bont, but need to really research some stuff before spending that kind of money!
jmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 02:02 AM   #3
TimeZone3

I'm still rolling on my circa 2001 K2 Mod 8s, with 4x80mm. They had been sitting in the closet the past 8 years, and I dug them out at the beginning of this season, wanting to get back into it. I really like the way the boot fits, but I sure am tempted by all the new hotness of 100mm wheels, figure they must soak up the bumps much better than my old 80mm setup. BUT, every time I skate with others, I get comments like "what wheels are you on?" "old 80mm" "man, you are fast on those things". So for now, sticking with what I got!

If I were to buy new skates, I really like the look of the Seba Marathons, think they'd be pretty much perfect for what I do, but dang, those are some pricey skates, for a non-race setup...

TZ
TimeZone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 07:11 PM   #4
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I roll a custom Simmons speed boot (now 11 years old) and have used several different frames with it over the years:

Tru-Rev 4x100mm
LSR Ion 4x100mm
Flyke 3x110/1x100mm
Flyke 3x125mm (current)

I went the custom route after spending more than the cost of the custom boots on different shelf boots that made my feet hurt. After 5 different boots came and went (usually selling at a 40-50% loss due to being used), I saved up the then $1200 price for the Simmons customs. Unfortunately, his customs are now $1600 and other competitors are similar: Pinnacle (start at $1400), Kaiser (start at $1250 w/ molding), and Marchese ($2000).

I do inline short track and some outdoor skating (no competitions to my name yet), but if you put a lot of time on your skates and can afford to do so, using a custom boot is well worth the price paid.

Some great info here: http://www.sk8skoolonline.com/#!Cust...f2e405158bf8d5
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 04:36 PM   #5
marksundell
Blade or Die.

I have been very impressed with my Powerslide Swells.
Great fit and comfort, great response. good price, zero complaints.
I they would be a perfect fit for you.
marksundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #6
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
I saved up the then $1200 price for the Simmons customs. Unfortunately, his customs are now $1600 and other competitors are similar: Pinnacle (start at $1400), Kaiser (start at $1250 w/ molding), and Marchese ($2000)
Marchese is $2000? Ow! I always thought Simmons was the most expensive. I stand corrected!

I skate mostly in 3 year old custom Pinnacle Elites with Bont 7050 frame (4x110)

I try to get a one skate per week in nearly 11 year old very well worn Wolf Racing boots, also custom. They are relatively floppy so it helps ensure that I retrain my balance rather and not get too dependent on the very stiff Pinnacles.

Every other week, I do Friday Night Skate in a pair of Twisters. It saves punishment to my feet as well as gives me more of a workout. When I acquired these skates nearly 10 years ago I intended to use them to learn stairs, something not advised in speed skates. Alas, this still hasn't happened.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 08:11 PM   #7
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Started on Moto90 K2's, but soon got bored going in a straight line on a flat course and switched to aggressive. Razor boots with 56mm wheels was what I started on and I'm now up to 72mm x 3 (3 wheels each skate with a grind block in #4 position)

I've got some 3x125mm that are silly..
I've got some 3x165mm coyotes that are seriously cool
I've got some 4x80mm powerblade frames with light up wheels that are snazzy.
(see them in action here: https://youtu.be/nllmhk0BufE )

But my daily grinder is that 72mm setup.
Old June 13th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #8
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKool View Post
I'm curious as to what everyone currently likes as far as skates go?
2015 Powerslide Hardcore EVO 2

Been drooling over this model for years. I skate distance for fun and some freestyle slalom. No problem skating 35 miles sessions on fitness trails or carving up traffic in the city.
Old July 6th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #9
everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKool View Post
I started this thread to get some current 2016 updates as to what Brand and Model of skates people are rolling with and why they made that choice?

I'm new to skating (fitness & fun) and want to purchase some good skates for use on a 35 miles bike trail and around the University and such. More than that, I'm curious as to what everyone currently likes as far as skates go? Personally, I have my eye on some Seba High Lights. Thanks everyone!
I just got my new skate today and put an unboxing and review videos on youtube. You can take a look and ask me questions.

https://youtu.be/979pKKnAIaA

For fun skating on the road, I use Power Slide Hardcore EVO 2.0. My new skate is one level down, the Power Slide Ultron. Just remember not to use these skate in the skate park....especially not do skate on the U board unless you have changed the bearing to slower grate and the wheels to a lot smaller size........ I went to a skate park few days ago and skated on my Hardcore EVO 2.0....ILQ=-9 bearing and 80 mm wheels........yes....small tricks is possible.....but when I tried to do 180 turn in the board...lost control due to rolling too fast and too high in position....fell on my knee ....swollen.....|||

And when I attempted to try some other jumping trick...caught by the wheel due to its size is too large for that kind of place...so I was there not even 20 minutes an had to leave for home...with injured knee....|||

Some times I use my customized BONT Z speedskate or the Rollerblade GT speedskate to skate in the community.

If you specifically only want to know skate models of 2016, I have no experience at all. But I can tell you there are some good 2015 skates under discount price and performance are very good.

Seba Hight Light s a good one. I did not purchase it due to Seba design tend to be narrow for those who have narrow feet and those who like tight wrapping feeling. I have wide and thick feet, I need good volume.....

Last edited by everest; July 6th, 2016 at 10:35 PM. Reason: add on the link of my video. And I still do not know how to post a picture without using web pictures.
everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #10
buddig

Most time I skate with my SEBA FR2 with 80 mm wheels because I like their good ability to turn etc.
when I'm skate at the streets between cars.
Speed skating with bigger wheels is not for me, because I'm afraid of too much speed.
I also have a pair of Rollerblades, that I have mounted 84 mm wheels on.
/ Henning
Old July 13th, 2016, 01:35 AM   #11
TiloRGB

Hello everyone!! I regularly use Mission Inhaler D7 (roller hockey skates) with Labeda Asphalt wheels, using Hi-Lo frames (2x80mm+2x40mm) and bearings that came with the skates. Also have Bauer Vapor RH X40, same frame and bearings, but I didn't change the wheels on this (Hi-Lo HL3), because I want skate with these on smoother surfaces than gritty concrete of the park. I've discarded insoles on both pairs and replaced with Shock Doctor skate Insoles (works nice for me on Roller and Ice hockey skates).

I'm not play hockey, just love the sport and love skate too. I got intentions to get urban skates not for slalom or fancy stuff but for transportation in the city.
TiloRGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 11:25 AM   #12
Traffic Dancer

Bah. I have size US13 feet so currently I'm in a pair of Rollerblade RB80s. I never imagined that as I got back into skating that I'd have a hard time finding well-fitting skates. What the hell, have my feet grown in the intervening 20 years?
Traffic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 11:56 AM   #13
everest

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
2015 Powerslide Hardcore EVO 2

Been drooling over this model for years. I skate distance for fun and some freestyle slalom. No problem skating 35 miles sessions on fitness trails or carving up traffic in the city.
Nice~~~~buddy~~~ I have a pair as well. Just....I cannot skate over 10 miles....my stamina limit.....ha ha ha....
Old August 17th, 2016, 12:04 PM   #14
everest

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddig View Post

Most time I skate with my SEBA FR2 with 80 mm wheels because I like their good ability to turn etc.
when I'm skate at the streets between cars.
Speed skating with bigger wheels is not for me, because I'm afraid of too much speed.
I also have a pair of Rollerblades, that I have mounted 84 mm wheels on.
/ Henning

Hello, Henning.

Actually...I was thinking about the same as you. However, after I got speed skate....I realize that things are reverse than what I think. Bigger wheel means more speed is true, BUT it only happens when you have certain momentum and when you are on downward condition road. Otherwise, you actually do not get that much speed with regular strike.

Yes, it is still fast with just regular strike, but it is manageable. Small wheels are slower in speed, but also good in dexterity. Speed skate has problem to the dexterity. This is the only reason I do not skate speedskate on the road with cars or too many turns.....because I will be bored by the slow speed due to large wheels and poor dexterity......

By the way, I was thinking to get Seba High Light, but they only focus on the majority western people feet size....long and narrow....so....I cannot use their skate due to my wide and thick feet.

Last edited by everest; August 17th, 2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old August 17th, 2016, 01:19 PM   #15
everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiloRGB View Post
Hello everyone!! I regularly use Mission Inhaler D7 (roller hockey skates) with Labeda Asphalt wheels, using Hi-Lo frames (2x80mm+2x40mm) and bearings that came with the skates. Also have Bauer Vapor RH X40, same frame and bearings, but I didn't change the wheels on this (Hi-Lo HL3), because I want skate with these on smoother surfaces than gritty concrete of the park. I've discarded insoles on both pairs and replaced with Shock Doctor skate Insoles (works nice for me on Roller and Ice hockey skates).

I'm not play hockey, just love the sport and love skate too. I got intentions to get urban skates not for slalom or fancy stuff but for transportation in the city.

Hi, just do a minor correction.... I think you miss typed the wheel size. I do inline hockey and I have Bauer APXR. It is not possible to have wheel size different over 4 mm and still get good skating condition. I once tried 72,72,80,80 on my Hi-Lo chassis and it was terrible. So...40,40,80,80 is not even a condition you can do any skating....

And, if you have not yet get a new pair for urban skate transportation, I will suggest you look into K2 or Roller Blade and Roces, just NOT PowerSlide. I say this is because Power Slide has the WORST after sale service and customer service. Saying "WORSE" is already being kind, because they actually just DO NOT RESPOND AND DO NOT CARE.