S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old January 31st, 2017, 05:52 PM   #1
metro_88

Default Advice for new skates for intermediate fitness skater

Hello All,

I'm a 32-year-old male trying to get back in to trail and fitness skating after a summer off due to the birth of my first child.

I've skated for about twenty years and fitness skated for about five. I currently have a pair of Rollerblade Igniter 100s that I think are about the most comfortable skate I've worn, but are way, way worn out after five years and about 1,500 miles.

I'd get another pair, but I have two complaints about the Igniter 100s. First, they use 3x 100mm wheels and 1x 90mm wheel, which makes buying new wheels a pain (ideally I'd like a 4x100mm skate). Second, they do sometimes feel a bit heavy and hot, but again with the comfort they provide, maybe that's a necessary trade-off.

I skate about 300 miles per season here in Minnesota. I skate almost exclusively on outdoor trails with various impediments to get over (twigs, rocks, patches of really rough road crossings, dirt/debris on the trail) and do like to skate a race or two a year, but only for fun. I normally pace myself at about 14 MPH. I also have a slightly larger frame at 6' and about 205 lbs.

Oh, the other thing that bothers me about the Igniter skates, but is possibly something that could be remedied - if I tighten the axles too snugly, they seem to squeeze the bottom frame which then makes the bearings of the wheels rub on the frame. Only a quarter turn looser on the axles, though, makes them too loose and prone to come out while skating (yes this has happened). Maybe it's just because they're worn out that they're doing this, but I'm a bit fed up with them at the moment.

Last thought - the Igniter 100 is a higher boot. I could be talked in to going with a slightly lower boot, but wouldn't want to go down to an ankle-height sort of skate since I'm not in shape to do that and likely won't get there (and need the support).

I appreciate any opinions anyone may have!
metro_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 03:22 AM   #2
chacata
Skinsuited at last

Hi, you sound really ready to step on some speed boots but if not sure, a fitness/marathon style boot will be no problem. The speed boots look challenging at first but after some adjusting, the freedom of lower cuffs will be more appreciated than the support of the high boots trust me.

A skate the likes of a powerslide R4 or Seba Marathon boot are good a good option and don't be afraid to equip 110mm wheels, at 6' you have the frame for larger wheels and they will surely help overcome small obstacles easier.
Old February 1st, 2017, 03:29 AM   #3
metro_88

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacata View Post
Hi, you sound really ready to step on some speed boots but if not sure, a fitness/marathon style boot will be no problem. The speed boots look challenging at first but after some adjusting, the freedom of lower cuffs will be more appreciated than the support of the high boots trust me.

A skate the likes of a powerslide R4 or Seba Marathon boot are good a good option and don't be afraid to equip 110mm wheels, at 6' you have the frame for larger wheels and they will surely help overcome small obstacles easier.
Thank you, I appreciate your advice. I've thought a lot about moving to a speed boot, but comfort while having a bit of a poor form (yes, using the high boot to stabilize myself when tired) does sometimes save the day. I'll continue to stew on it.

I've done a few marathons (at about 1:40 pace) and don't suspect I'm going to get much faster with the amount I'm able to train, but it's always nice to move a little bit forward with training and see some progress. Maybe a shorter boot would open up my stride a bit (and force me to train those leg muscles more).

Thanks again!
Old February 1st, 2017, 05:44 PM   #4
boamraces
extreme roller

If you want to stick with the rollerblade brand, the tempests are nice boots. Have you considered going up to 110mm wheels?
Old February 1st, 2017, 07:23 PM   #5
metro_88

Quote:
Originally Posted by boamraces View Post
If you want to stick with the rollerblade brand, the tempests are nice boots. Have you considered going up to 110mm wheels?
Thanks! I have considered going to 110s and it's funny you mention the Tempests. I tried a pair of those last spring and even bought a set of 110 wheels so that I could send the boot back if I didn't like them.

Sure enough, they were very uncomfortable and I did send them back. The funny thing is, my hazy new-dad head can't remember what I didn't like about them - but something hurt me to the point that I said, "these aren't going to work." I know that's unhelpful, sorry.

Your comment, though, did remind me that I still have my set of MPC Black Magic 110mm wheels with about 5 miles on them. You're right, I should move to 110s so that I can use those.
Old February 1st, 2017, 07:27 PM   #6
metro_88

Quote:
Originally Posted by boamraces View Post
It does look like Rollerblade is coming out with a new 2017 version of the Tempest 110s. I wonder if those would fit any better.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:11 PM   #7
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro_88 View Post
Hello All,

Oh, the other thing that bothers me about the Igniter skates, but is possibly something that could be remedied - if I tighten the axles too snugly, they seem to squeeze the bottom frame which then makes the bearings of the wheels rub on the frame. Only a quarter turn looser on the axles, though, makes them too loose and prone to come out while skating
Sounds like the spacers might be bad, or missing.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:57 PM   #8
metro_88

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Sounds like the spacers might be bad, or missing.
Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I am sure they're all there, but it's possible they've worn out (is that a thing they can do?). I attempted to find replacement spacers at one point, but my eyes glazed over when I saw all the sizes available. I have no idea what I need. Maybe I should take another crack at that if I want to try to save these skates.