S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old April 20th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #1
whiskey02

Default HELP WITH INTERVALS SPECIFIC TO TT's

Hi all,
There's plenty of info on the web and in books on intervals from 20 seconds to 10-12 minutes. I understand that these are working different energy systems and building a variety of strengths. What I don't understand is how to put together an interval program to best benefit my specific goals. I'm interested in outdoor time trials of 5 and 10k. I know most of you train for pack style racing but I'd be happy to hear your suggestion on tailoring an interval plan specific to TT's.
I have searched without success for ice 5&10k training plans; any links to that info would be great. I have not read Diane Holum's book, but I'm going to see if my library can track down a copy for me.
Thanks.
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 04:04 PM   #2
SkateMO

I should preface by saying, I'm not a certified coach. So, this is just my own advice. But, I think the first step is establishing a goal. Let's say you want to skate a 5K in 8 minutes. If that is the goal, then you have to be able to average 23.3 mph for 3.1 miles (or 8 minutes). The next step is determining your baseline. Go out and skate a 5K and use a device (such as a GPS) that can give you a mile-per-mile breakdown. Let's say during this test, you skate each of the "three miles" at the exact same speed...and the speed you skate at is 22 mph. From that test, it's clear that you have decent endurance and consistency, but your speed isn't there (to meet your goal). So, with a situation like that, I would practice skating one-mile intervals at 23 or 24 mph and do 3 of them (with rest in between). Or, if you can't skate a mile at your target speed, then start with a half-mile or quarter of a mile.

Now, let's assume that during your baseline skate, you skated the first mile at 25 mph, the second at 22 mph, and the third at 19 mph. What that tells me is that you have the speed but maybe not the endurance. So, rather than do a ton of speed intervals, maybe do a longer interval. Try skating 4 or 5 miles at a 22 mph average. With this situation, you can clearly hit the target speed, but you just can't maintain it...so you need to build the endurance.

I think the crucial part is establishing a goal, determining a baseline, and then focusing on your weaknesses. However, you go about doing that, is up to you. But, the idea I tried to explain above is the approach I think you want to take.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #3
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

There are many ways to incorporate intervals into your training.
You need to know a few things to make it scientific. Max HR, Training HR, Lactate threshold, blah, blah, blah... The easy way is to simply incorporate them into your time trial training maybe twice a week. If you use a HR monitor while training and know what your training HR is, get to that level and throw in some timed sprint intervals. Start with maybe three sets of twenty second sprints with a 40 second recovery time. Cycle the sets in your workout three to five times being sure that you allow you HR to return to your training HR between sets.

Pack skating can also benefit your speed. Especially with faster athletes. Sitting in a pack of faster skaters will allow you to go faster with less effort for longer durations.

Also complete each training session with some all out sprints. These sprints should be performed well after the long skate. Not so long that your muscles get cold, but long enough for you HR to return to normal.

Be sure to do plenty of core work on non skate days. This will help to transfer all the power to the ground as opposed to absorbing it with your body.

A general way to figure HR zones is 220 minus your age equals max HR.
Training zones are typically 50 - 75% of max HR, depending on personal goals.
During sprint intervals one will exceed the 75% range and possibly even max HR.
One should get a physical examination performed by a physition before attempting any strenuous activity.
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:48 AM   #4
evilzzz

A 10-15min TT is certainly above lactate threshold but still probably 80-90% aerobic, so not really that "top end", and as suggested it's probably the same sort of intensity that long track skaters tackle at the longest, so not a bad idea do do more research in that area.

One workout that seems quite popular amongst runners/cyclists to is to alternate between just above and just below the LT, eg say you know your LT is 170bpm, you would repeated do 1min just above this level, then 1min just below this level (allowing for HR lag), then back to 1 min above, 1 min below etc.

Importantly, it's still primarily an endurance event, most of your physiological gains will still come from improving aerobic capacity.