S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old September 5th, 2014, 03:18 AM   #1
psychointraining

Default New to skating

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum, and to skating… so I'm not sure if this is the place to put this post. However as I only have access to outdoor spaces to skate I figure this might be it.

I've only skated on quads 3 times so far (I did inlines when I was young), but I'm really enjoying it.

:Edit: Completely forgot... I'm an Aussie and my faviourite skating place is my local beaches boulavard.

My current set of skates are Starfire 500's… I'm not sure that I'm in love with them. I'd really like a set of Moxi Lolly skates, but I'm going to wait a little while to make sure I want to keep skating long term. That being said if anyone knows if Moxi's are good please let me know... and what I can possibly do to improve my Starfires in the meantime. I'm not sure if the wheels are great, they roll nice sometimes but if the surface shifts slightly I end up nearly falling.

Currently I have no ambitions for derby etc, I'm just into fun and fitness.

Nice to meet everyone
psychointraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Welcome!

There is an "introduce yourself" thread if you wanna post there too. There are lots of people from Australia who post on this forum. Have fun!

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ight=introduce
Old October 28th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Bunny_Hop

Hey psychointraining, I guess you're Australian too if you have Starfires?

I have different skates but I use Starfire wheels for outdoor skating. I also had the surface-switching issue but I suspect it may be a technique thing.

I used to fall a lot when hitting surface changes and small slopes because I mostly skated with my feet beside each other. It might be hard for you to do this while you're starting, but see if you can start rolling with one foot in front of the other. (ETA: To clarify, they don't have to be exactly one in front of the other (e.g. with one toe right behind the other heel), just with one forward and one more back. As I got more confident, my feet moved closer together from a side-to-side point of view, and further apart from a front-to-back point of view, but they are still not totally "in line" unless I deliberately do that.) Be especially sure to do this when you're about to change surfaces. Someone told me to do this and it's really helped me. I think it's something to do with balance; you're more stable if you don't hit the surface change with both feet at once.

Practice doing this on a flat surface to start - skate for a bit then roll along with one foot in front of the other. I also recommend this on downhills, or basically any time you're not actively "skating" and are just rolling, as it also seems to reduce the risk of tripping on tiny sticks. It might help with your confidence/general skills if you can find somewhere to practice that is all the same surface (are there any concrete netball courts in your area? Or smooth cycle paths?)

Good luck with outdoor skating! It can be a bit intimidating at first (at least it was for me!) but it's awesome because you can find places to skate that are so much bigger than rinks.
Bunny_Hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Bunny_Hop

Okay, just saw your other post and you're having trouble on really smooth surfaces? I haven't encountered those (I mainly skate on cement or a asphalt carpark).

Anyway, here's a video link of some awesome outdoor skating that also demonstrates what I mean. Watch the whole video because it's cool (totally wish I could skate like that!) but check out this part as 2:36 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR17n0u3U-Q#t=155

She uses the "offset feet" position to go over a ridge in the asphalt, and holds it for quite a while, so you can see what I mean by it (since I don't think I described it very well!) And what a skater! Something to dream of for those of us skating round carparks on Starfire wheels!
Bunny_Hop is offline   Reply With Quote