S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old September 8th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #1
psychointraining

Default Starfire 500's

Hi everyone

I'm new to skating, and currently have a pair of Starfire 500's... which I bought without knowing much about skating at all. I skate outdoor only, mostly along a beach boulevard.

The reason for this post is I'm not sure I have made the right decision with the Starfires. I've had some problems with either the wheel or toe stops getting caught on debris (I'm only taking little twigs), then I end up nearly tripping and looking like an idiot. Also I've found that when transitioning between surfaces I come a bit unbalanced, there is a part of the boulevard which is smoother than the rest and I feel like I have zero control when rolling on it. I just slow down and get low to avoid falling.

As far as I can tell the boots themselves are alright, they fit pretty well, and the plates seem to be made of solid metal (which I gather is considered best). So what I'm wondering is if I should change to a different set of wheels, or change entirely to a new set of skates (I have had my eye on some Moxi's).

If new wheels... which ones? I'll be mostly outdoors... as there is no rink anywhere near me.

If new skates... which are best (without breaking the bank).
psychointraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

http://www.lowpriceskates.com/outdoor-skates.aspx

The moxies are available at the above us online retailer, the page I posted is their outdoor skates, shown are mostly a mid height and mid heel height boots and all the plates seem to have front axles more forward, the starfire 500's are a high boot with a full heel and front axle rather far back, wheel wise, size and hardness of the urethane both count, outdoors duro should be 78-88 size depends upon activity, large wheels for speed or distance, smaller wheels for more agility and turning, smaller wheels when learning.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #3
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Yeah ditch the starfires.
Where abouts in oz are you.
If in Melbourne give a rink a go plenty of em.And you will pick up a lot just by watching a good skater.
Ohh and try derbyskates.com.au.Wayne runs it he's a good guy.
But I have never seen a package skate that's perfect.Best to pick parts and assemble that way you get what's right.
Just remember that outdoor generally needs a softer wheel and rink Skating a harder one...
Old September 9th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #4
psychointraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
Yeah ditch the starfires.
Where abouts in oz are you.
If in Melbourne give a rink a go plenty of em.And you will pick up a lot just by watching a good skater.
Ohh and try derbyskates.com.au.Wayne runs it he's a good guy.
But I have never seen a package skate that's perfect.Best to pick parts and assemble that way you get what's right.
Just remember that outdoor generally needs a softer wheel and rink Skating a harder one...
Hi

I'm on the NSW central coast… so my closest rink is Sydney and I don't have any time at the moment to go. I'll check out that site though thanks.

At the moment I'm a bit loathe to spend another couple of hundred dollars on skates, I was planning to have my Starfires for about 6 months before moving on. To make sure I like skating/don't injure myself too badly.
Old September 9th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #5
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

There's a few rinks up in Sydney and a few loggers as well .Should make the effort to skate at a rink .plenty of derby people as well.Although I don't count that as skatin.
If you do farcebook there's a second chance skate thingy.But I'd spend a month researching these forums before a purchase if I was you.
Old September 9th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #6
psychointraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
There's a few rinks up in Sydney and a few loggers as well .Should make the effort to skate at a rink .plenty of derby people as well.Although I don't count that as skatin.
If you do farcebook there's a second chance skate thingy.But I'd spend a month researching these forums before a purchase if I was you.
Yeh, apparently the one in Newtown is good, and I'm pretty sure there is a skate shop attached to it.

Good idea, I was planning on replacing the Starfires around the end of the year anyways so I'll probably wait till then. In the meantime looks like I've got research to do.