S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old August 1st, 2014, 04:17 AM   #1
ThomasHSB

Default Large skater wheel suggestions...

I'm 6'3", about 220#. I'm looking for suggestions for outdoor wheels.
My skates have aluminum Avenger plates.

Right now I'm using Sure Grip Motion wheels outside, 78a Duro 63mm?, and while they let me roll over stuff well when I'm in the rough streets around my house they feel sluggish on the trail at the park I skate. Like on the slight downhill grades I still have to push to maintain momentum and then on the one spot that I need I to scrub off speed plowing is a massive chore.

I plenty of my trouble comes from inexperience but at the same time if I can spend a few dollars and make it more fun I will.

I'm recovering from a groin pull right now and off skates but have been dwelling on skating lots and the wheel thing is on my mind tonight.
ThomasHSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Longboard wheels cut down seem to be all the rage.

Theres a few guys on here that could help ya with that, but its not real cheap.
Old August 1st, 2014, 11:55 PM   #3
Armadillo

Default Zombie Hawg WHeels in 84A and 76mm or less

You will not find a better wheel for you to reach and hold the higher speed outdoors than the Zombie Hawgs in 84A and 76mm. Your Avenger plates may not accept their 76mm size though , and they may need to be taken down to 72mm, depending on how tight/loose you set your suspension.

Even with cost of narrowing them & shrinking them, they are so durable that they will outlast many outdoor wheels by 2 to 1, while outperforming them by a lot as well.

You can do a lot better for an outdoor plate setup than Avengers. They have almost no cushioning, since 90% of your weight gets supported by the pivot pins and not the cushions. They do handle bigger wheels well though, since they don't swing them upward as much as other plates when the trucks turn (less plate lean guves nore turn).

PM me if you want Z-Hawg customization pricing info.

-Armadillo
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:27 PM   #4
Fancy-Kerrigan

Sounds like you just need a slightly harder wheel for the park trails. The sluggishness you feel is from the softness of the wheel. The soft wheel is great on the rough ground, but boggy on smoother surfaces. I'd just look for a slightly harder wheel to use on the smoother trails. I skated a smooth outdoor roller hockey rink and my 90s rolled just fine. I'd go up in hardness a bit at a time till you find what works best for you for the surfaces you skate most often.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 11:38 PM   #5
Armadillo

The specific urethane formula's rebound characteristics also greatly impact the roll of different wheels outdoors, and whether or not they tend to feel sluggish.

Just going firmer will not necessarily always speed you up if the % of rebound level is not also improved. In addition, often a softer wheel with much higher rebound can feel LESS sluggish than a harder wheel, and still maintain better roll on asphalt surfaces than the firmer wheels will.

-Armadillo
Old August 2nd, 2014, 11:59 PM   #6
ThomasHSB

That is one of the things that hangs me up. I almost feel like something almost as hard as my red Fugitives would be nice if they were springier.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 11:13 AM   #7
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasHSB View Post
I'm 6'3", about 220#. I'm looking for suggestions for outdoor wheels.
My skates have aluminum Avenger plates.

Right now I'm using Sure Grip Motion wheels outside, 78a Duro 63mm?, and while they let me roll over stuff well when I'm in the rough streets around my house they feel sluggish on the trail at the park I skate. Like on the slight downhill grades I still have to push to maintain momentum and then on the one spot that I need I to scrub off speed plowing is a massive chore.

I plenty of my trouble comes from inexperience but at the same time if I can spend a few dollars and make it more fun I will.

I'm recovering from a groin pull right now and off skates but have been dwelling on skating lots and the wheel thing is on my mind tonight.
Not familiar with the motion, I've been on flat-outs and the hub is nylon and is soft, the wheels are pretty slow, guessing that's possibly happening with the motion wheels. For 70$ you can try the roll-line outdoor wheels, hydrogen or helium, 64mm tall, 82a thane, excellent hub, super rolling wheel, you need a bearing press to remove bearings and almost to install, and they are very lite, what type of skating are you doing, short of 25 mile races the roll-lines are by far the best outdoor wheel available.

And they are yellow
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #8
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
You will not find a better wheel for you to reach and hold the higher speed outdoors than the Zombie Hawgs in 84A
I killed a set of Mini Zombie (70mm) in a 20km downhill...
The REALLY don't like slides in quads
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #9
groldan

Default Kryptonics Classic K

The Kryptonics Classic K are also a good choice. I currently have three sets (76mm, 80mm, and 85mm), and they all work very good if you can mount them in your plate (I'm using SG Avenger Black Aluminium with Purple Super Cushions). I also have a set of Atom Road Hog 66mm.

Depending on your preferences, on your plate and on the surface you'll skate, any of the Kryptonics Classic K wheels or the Atom Road Hog, will be a good choice for outdoor skating.

I'd like to test the Z-Hawgh 76mm... But I haven't tested them yet....
groldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #10
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
I killed a set of Mini Zombie (70mm) in a 20km downhill...
The REALLY don't like slides in quads
I am not a saying any Z-Hawgs are good for quad skating where slides are required. I only roll them on trails and at speed, with even turning being very minimal.

For this duty they are absolutely superb.

The Roll Line outdoor wheels (Helium and Hydrogen), at 64mm with a 49mm hub are, IMO, too thin on their urethane layer to hold up well for any outdoor skating where the wheels will hit sharp edged stones.

The thin layer urethane allows sharp edged stones to penetrate the urethane far too easily, and leave permanently cuts into it. So, if rolling over any any sharp edges is a likely occurrence, these wheels will show cut damage sooner, deeper and with greater numbers than other, thicker urethane wheels will.

-Arnadillo
Old August 5th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #11
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
The Roll Line outdoor wheels (Helium and Hydrogen), at 64mm with a 49mm hub are, IMO, too thin on their urethane layer to hold up well for any outdoor skating where the wheels will hit sharp edged stones.

The thin layer urethane allows sharp edged stones to penetrate the urethane far too easily, and leave permanently cuts into it. So, if rolling over any any sharp edges is a likely occurrence, these wheels will show cut damage sooner, deeper and with greater numbers than other, thicker urethane wheels will.
I can't imagine why anyone would race long distances in roller skates when inlines are faster and more efficient, so using heavy cumbersome wheels is oxymoronic IMHO, unless of course you're actually skating a long distance race, while the roll-line outdoor wheels are the best available for outdoor skating, inexpensive, excellent build quality and not at all heavy, the one wheel that had a slight gash years ago isn't reflective of the thousands that have had heavy useage with no ill effect, less urethane less flex, less energy loss, less weight.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #12
JorisKB

And, why not ?
I just did 300 km in Le Mans 24h last month, and 130 km in Paris 6 hours 2 days ago, in quads, with classic K 76mm.

Avengers are quite high plates, you can put 76mm wheels on them, no doubt about that.

Classic K 76 are quite good but I can't find any in shops these days.
Hawgs are a good replacement I think.

For downhill, there are more serious wheels available, but the price is more serious too.
JorisKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #13
ThomasHSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would race long distances in roller skates when inlines are faster and more efficient....
I also drive a '63 Mercury instead of some modern plastic thing. :/
Old August 5th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #14
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
I can't imagine why anyone would race long distances in roller skates when inlines are faster and more efficient, so using heavy cumbersome wheels is oxymoronic IMHO, unless of course you're actually skating a long distance race, while the roll-line outdoor wheels are the best available for outdoor skating, inexpensive, excellent build quality and not at all heavy, the one wheel that had a slight gash years ago isn't reflective of the thousands that have had heavy useage with no ill effect, less urethane less flex, less energy loss, less weight.
Skater beware!

This guy doesn't skate anywhere but in circles, well figure 8's so he says. Hes not an outdoor skater so much as probably a vacant tennis/basketball court where there is absolutely nothing that could damage his wheels other than the friction from rolling resistance or side loading in a turn. Nor any actual obstacles to skate around. At least the slalom crowd has some footwork skills and can dodge/avoid/evade things in the path of their skates.

He has no idea why a person needs more urethane and is giving the WORST possible advice on this forum reguarding skate gear and how things work- or be it,... how he thinks they should work.

Afterall when your skating surface is so close to a rinks why would you need anything BUT a thin strip of urethane?

Also, if your going to talk about their excellent build quality, then at least say what they hold over other wheels: Hub precision roll-line makes outstanding hubs, as far as alignment goes. They machine their hubs in house and have remarkably true bores. However that doesn't mean much without something that everyone pretty much hates: Spacers... Lets hear you cry out for precision machined spacers and glued/fused outer races in the wheels hubs, even more so in plastics/composites ones where they aren't very stong in comparison to aluminum. Because really, if your not using the precision hub they made for you to its maximum potential, why are you even giving the notion of their "superior build quality"? The looser tolerances in Bones bearings more than make up for hub imperfections, and many other skate companies follow suit. Slightly larger clearances both axial and radial combined with a deep groove designed raceway = skate rated.

Good lord, who is it that is "suffering fools" these days? I can't imagine why someone would skate alone in a vacant area, in circles and pretend to have a grasp here. Why haven't you started skating inlines outdoors?

@JorisKB ya know man, I'm seriously thinking about doing A2A on my quads for the first strech, then inlines for the 2nd day. I'm going to EWNB, so I dunno if I can justify another trip
Old August 5th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #15
Armadillo

Quote:
I am no fan of weighty wheels when lighter ones can handle the service, and I have skated many thousand miles of varying roughness asphalt rolling on some of the best and lightest outdoor wheels like Velocity Race, Roll Line, RD Twisters and others.

I own two sets of Roll Line Helium and both are covered with cuts and the urethane is progressively debonding from the hubs. The number of miles on them is not that high compared to the amount of damage that rolling over sharp edged stones imparts onto their, IMO, too-thin urethane.

You obviously do not roll yours in as harsh of rolling surface conditions as I do, or you would see the same negative damage results. They are light, fast, and precision made. At 64mm they are a bit undersized for best outdoor performance (65-76mm) as the surface goes rougher. There are more durable wheels, like Zombie Hawgs, that will outlast the Roll Lines by a factor of 3-4 times.

So, if you can get the life you need from yours, great, but don't project such uncritically optimistic positivity on Roll Line wheels to those whose use demands will certainly make them a poor choice at best.

-Armadillo
Old August 5th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #16
JorisKB

I've actually been a very happy Roll Line Helium user since 2 years.
They are the only wheels I use for Roller Derby.
Old August 5th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #17
groldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisKB View Post
And, why not ?
I just did 300 km in Le Mans 24h last month, and 130 km in Paris 6 hours 2 days ago, in quads, with classic K 76mm.

Avengers are quite high plates, you can put 76mm wheels on them, no doubt about that.

Classic K 76 are quite good but I can't find any in shops these days.
Hawgs are a good replacement I think.

For downhill, there are more serious wheels available, but the price is more serious too.
I bought a set of Kryptonics Classic K 76mm in a roller shop in Madrid... About 80E... And there were more. I also found them in another shop in Madrid but for more money.

They are great. I ran 71km last Friday with the 80mm in a cyclelane and they are also great.
groldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #18
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisKB View Post
I've actually been a very happy Roll Line Helium user since 2 years.
They are the only wheels I use for Roller Derby.
I mostly use mine indoors or on only the most super smooth outdoor surfaces.
On slick indoor floors they work great, but hitting sharp edge stone gravel outdoors will rapidly cut them up.

-Armadillo
Old August 7th, 2014, 02:00 AM   #19
JorisKB

Oh, i should have add something.
We never got a gym for our team in Paris, so we train outdoor. Sometimes on very rough surfaces. The Helium are great there too. They bring lightness, speed and control. Never did long runs on them though, only circles on rough but clean asphalt.
The first set I had last me the whole season, that's an honest duration considering they cost less than 50 for 8 wheels in Europe.
Old August 7th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #20
ThomasHSB

Thank you everyone for your suggestions but to clarify my intended use....
I'm interested in street and bike trail type environment, not prepped surfaces. The bike trail I've been skating is fairly smooth asphalt but some of the other places I'd like to hit are more gravelly sort of pavement. Most if the places I'd like to skate are concrete with serious expansion joints that I'm not quite comfortable with yet. We have very beautiful tree lined city parks but that also means plenty of interesting root related hazards.