S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old March 16th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #81
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Yeah sorry I missed it - but hopefully the warmer weather is going to stay and I can get back into the swing. I've been going through skating withdrawals for sure.
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #82
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Thanks everyone

The biggest accomplishment for me was putting on a good race, which never would have happened without the help of our volunteers. This includes not only the people that were officially assigned positions, but also the ones that carried a box, went to get something we needed, or even chipped in with a great idea. You guys really are the best. A big thank you to Mark, who probably put in the most volunteer hours this weekend (and is likely very annoyed with me by now ). Not to mention-

Happy Birthday Mark!! (it was yesterday)

Also a big thank you do Gustavo for contributing some extra cash, and David Simmons for upping the prize for the elite awards.

I'm happy with how I did in the marathon, but that was just an added plus. There's no greater feeling than having someone tell you they enjoyed your event. It was worth every effort. Thanks for coming
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #83
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

+1 Jessica!!

All I'll add to above is - what a great way to spend a weekend!!! Thanks!!!

Lots of marathon and ½marathon pictures here http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thum...aspx?e=4594071

Pictures from Time Trials here http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thum...aspx?e=4589880

Enjoy and if you find a picture you like - please do buy it! :-)
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #84
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

All results can be found here http://www.triandduit.com/webforms/tad_ResultsNew.aspx
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #85
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezSk8 View Post
What a fantastic Squiggy Classic! Thanks to Jess, Birget and all the volunteers for make it the best ever. I don't know how it can be improved, but knowing you Gals, I'm sure it will be. Thanks you for everything.

LezSk8!
And thank you for coming out!!

We will make it better and bigger next year.

Jorge told me "you can easily skate this in 1hr or less" - I know for sure I can't - but I put up a bet with him, so let's get some sponsors together that will get a decent cash purse together, and lets make Squiggy Classic Inline 2010 the fastest ever!!!

Thanks for trying to fix my bullhorn, turned out that we did not need it...
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #86
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

Thanks Birgit, Jessica and all the volunteers for doing an amazing job putting this event together. Next year it will be bigger and better.

Here are my pictures: Click Me
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #87
ldskater
Tha Dark Vaypor

Default A little Race Report rom the Elite Master Men's Pack

Squiggy 2009

Well at first I was little hesitant about the race because first I was pitted against the 35 and up masters group unlike Northshore & St. Paul where there is a 45 and up group. The other thing was they were going to start us off the young Elite Pros with the likes of Jorge Botero, Andres Guzman, Adam Miller and many other good Elite Skaters. Much to my surprise they made an announcement just before we headed for the starting line, they would start the Elite Men separate from the Elite Masters Men. Yeah!

Now the race took on a different tone but the three Simmons skaters Alex Fedak, Richard Cassube, and Ryan Chrisler had different ideas and decided to try and catch the Elite pack. With those three working their butts off we almost caught the Elite pack and of all the groups we turned the fastest time for the first lap; 14:53 almost 30 seconds faster than the Elite Men.

On the second lap Alex Fedak took off on a solo flier and Nikko got in front and kept a good distance between us and Alex but not letting Alex out of our sight. We finally reeled him in just before the start of the third lap. Our lap times had dropped significantly by this time.

Niko, Chris Rojo and the Simmons skaters all took turns pulling, they were looking for some of the rest of us to take a turn but to be honest I really didn't want too under those conditions. By those conditions I mean skating against guys 10 years younger than I am and against a team of 4 guys. All I would need to do is go out and pull and have them take off and drop me. I wasn't going to take that chance so I wheel sucked. At one point I had considered pulling with the wind at our backs but we had picked up 4 or 5 stragglers from the Elite pack and they decided to get out and pull. More power to them and I didn't have to work.

As we got closer to the finish there was a mini flier by the Simmons Team at which point we hit 29 mph and no it wasn't just spike we held that for about a minute. As we rounded the final turns the sprint happened with Team Simmons in front. Niko got in there for 3rd. I kept trying to get around Chris Rojo and Hernan Diaz but Hernan kept cutting Chris off who in turn was cutting me off. One of the Elite kids went down in front of Hernan, Hernan didn't fall, but Chris and I were finally able to get around him for 5th & 6th.
ldskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #88
Rabidroller

Default Another great Squiggy inline skating weekend

Way to go Birgit and also Jessica and the many volunteers (including yours truly who stuffed a few packets too slowly). It was a phenomenal weekend, thanks to excellent planning and attention to detail.

The grand finale was, of course, the marathon/half marathon. I was planning to join up with a large paceline destined for a finish time of an hour and a half, but it didn't happen. However I was very fortunate to have two extremely gutsy gals, Renee and Nadine, as my sole paceline partners for most of the marathon. I believe this was their debut marathon, but you wouldn't believe it by how well they pulled and held up in the windy conditions. In the early go, we had as many as five in our paceline on two separate occasions, but lost them (all males) to the mega-paceline that was about 3 minutes behind us (we had no idea that there was this freight train on our heels). It was a great bonding experience and I was very happy to help them achieve a sub- 1:40 for their first marathon (they also helped me as I couldn't have done it alone - our pace was a couple seconds per mile faster than my all-out time trial the day before). I was also happy about my geezer age group victory in the advanced category and also for Nadine's and Renee's placing in the 30-39 age group. Kudos to the other Renee (of Jon & Renee) for winning the same age group!
Rabidroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #89
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

A more detail of my race report.........

Before the race, I was somewhat concern about the race as my skating was going through a slump in the last few weeks. To make things worse, my knees were hurting badly, either from overtraining or the multi falls I took on my knees. The left knee especially, hurt badly if I try to squat low. As a result, my back started to hurt too as I was trying to get low but my knees won't let me and I ended up bending my back more than I supposed to. Then, I was sick for the entire week, and was coughing really bad 2 days before the race and lost my voice.

However, I wasn't in a panick mode, as my last year's time of 1.37 means it's easy to set a personal best in this race. Judging by the previous week skate at Flatwoods, my prediction is low or high 1.20's. My goal is, to stay with the lead advanced pack until the end.

Start, I got a good start and slot in behind 4 girls. First lap pace was rather quick, and it's a little bit tricky to follow the rapid strides of the girls in front of me, but no big deal. We picked up a few elite and elite master skaters on the way, and had a sizable paceline. Bryan Herrick was also in this paceline.

Second and third lap, the pace got really erratic. As the girls in front tried to slow way down and sprinted to drop others (and some slapping too). I played a long, but other skaters behind me started to complain about that. But the sprints were not long enough to drop anyone. Finally, a couple of the adult skaters got fed up with this game and starting to move to the front and took control of the paceline. However, the top speed wasn't high enough and sustained long enough to drop the girls, so we're back to status quo again. Also, because of that I got slowly moved back in the paceline. I had to move up a few times to get back in the better spots I occupied earlier.

Our time for 2nd and 3rd lap were pretty bad, because of all the slinkying. It didn't bother me though, as this is the reality of pack racing, and I had seen games like that played in bigger races like St. Paul and Northshore. A few skaters weren't too happy about this game, because we could have shaved at least a few minutes off our time.

With 2 miles to go, finally everyone got serious. The pace picked up, and I was almost out of juice coming to the finish line. I was in a sweet spot just before the final sprint, but couldn't make use of it, so was completely overwhelmed. I really need to improve my finishing sprint, both mentally and physically. Also, my crossover was a bit scary for the skaters right behind me (sorry......).

My finishing time was 1.22.42, which is not only my best result at Squiggy, but also my best result at any marathon (beating my Northshore time by half a minute). This was a bit of a surprise to me. Also, I shaved about 15 minutes off my last year's Squiggy time. Not bad for a sick man. I gonna need a full week of rest after this.

The race was ran well, and I think everyone enjoyed it, thanks to Birgit, Jessica and the volunteers.
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #90
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

Great job Hong! That's the strongest I've seen you skate. I sat on your wheel for while until things started shuffling around.Thanks . It did get a little too slow at times. It's tactics, but after trying it once or twice it was obvious that they didn't have the strength to pull away. No need to keep doing it.
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #91
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Brian, Way to go at the Squiggy! Man, you've come a long way since Ft. Desoto a couple years ago. Keep the pedal to the metal, man. cause you're getting it done!

Great races Hong, Luke, John, Don and others who have imporved so much over the last few years. You're an inspiration!

To those who finished and gave it their all, best wishes, and ...

LezSk8!
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #92
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldskater View Post
Squiggy 2009

Well at first I was little hesitant about the race because first I was pitted against the 35 and up masters group unlike Northshore & St. Paul where there is a 45 and up group. The other thing was they were going to start us off the young Elite Pros with the likes of Jorge Botero, Andres Guzman, Adam Miller and many other good Elite Skaters. Much to my surprise they made an announcement just before we headed for the starting line, they would start the Elite Men separate from the Elite Masters Men. Yeah!
Here ya on above!

It seems that we have made the race known in the elite circles and that we in the future will keep elite and elite masters starting at different waves. It went well this year, so I'd say that's a keeper!!

In regards to the master veteran +45 - I can't see any reason for not doing it - but from the fact the amount of skaters. So lets say that we have lots of +45 masters next year, I'm all up for adding that as a division.

Also I think that we next year will make people start in waves (like St. Paul and Northshore) to make it even more possible for everyone to get into a paceline that is closer to your normal speed.

Just thoughts at this point, let me know any viewpoint on this!!

Not thereby saying it will be like it is suggested - but since Squiggy is an even run by skaters for skaters, we are very much listening to what our participants prefer!!
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #93
hoffmonster

Adding my report from Inline planet site...

Squiggy 2009 was awesome!
1st, Let me say that it was a very well organized, well run event.
Improvements?? Everyone can improve, so making them in the case would just improve whats already pretty kick butt!
Great Job Birgit, Jessica, and all the great volunteers!
I'll be back next year.

Skate in the dark:
The skate in the dark was just that... It was very dark once the clouds came.
we set out with several in tow, at a pretty slow pace..
we did not even get to the main trail before we had... SNAKE!!!!
A two foot long cotton mouth decide to cross the trail at the worst possible time...Everyone managed to get by without issue. Excitement over.. Or was it?
We headed out on the trail, once again a nice easy pace.. 2-3 minutes in... a wild boar got spooked out of the bushes and decided to run along next to us for a moment, before hitting the gas crossing in front of us, and smashing through the underbrush.. OK, now that was interesting.. better keep your eyes open!!!
I saw no other animals after that because it was just too dark.. the crew I wound up with did not have a headlight, but that did to stop us from picking up the pace. It was B. Harwell, Brian Oswald, Tom G (I think) we wound up skating it pretty darn fast, quite exhilarating to skate that fast in almost total darkness.
probably not the smartest thing to do considering the animals we saw earlier. it was awesome and I would do it again!.

Time Trials.
Renee C, Brian S., Hernan D., and I skated together.
We had a great start running a 20 mph pace without issue (I posted the pic of the TT garmin data back on Sat)
the really fast kids went by us like we were sitting still pretty early on. So there was only one team to catch.
At some point we lost Brian S off the back, I had no idea as I was leading when all that happened.
We only needed three across the line together, so we pushed on.
We were running about 21/22 mph.
We did go by the Asphalt Beach team of Bob H. Jessica W, and Steve L. Still keeping a solid pace.
I finally had to roll out and let Renee up front.. Heran told me to tuck in behind and we'll push Renee, and skate as a big unit going in.. Well he and I tangled feet and he went down, and I almost went with him but saved it.. Rats, Renee kept going and I waited to Hernan to get up and we would just have to go catch Renee.
We did, and finished all in one piece with a time of 21:25 19.7 mph.. we lost some time with fall but not enough to change the outcome any... It was really, really fun, but it I had to do it over again, I would plan a little better to use or strengths, and weaknesses in a more efficient manner.

Props to Alex Fedak... Not only did he win it and set the record, he even beat that team of three young guns
all by himself.

Race day:
There and ready to go...
I was glad to see them wave the start.. it would have been pretty chaotic had they mass started it.
Pretty routine, I tried to stay up front for the most part, the Akana Girls, Daniel M, and I led most of the race.
We picked up some of the Elite masters guys, they worked their way into the pace line.
For the most part I would let in anyone that wanted to, or who I knew was working. the asphalt beach guys got up and rotated
through a pull or two. a few others did short pulls, But for the most part it was those two Akana girls, Daniel and I that did most of the pulling.There were several (4-5) very young girls who were slapping, pulling, pushing and elbowing their way in, generaly causing problems.
A total distraction, and big part of why I lead so much.. that hurt me in the end..
Pretty uneventful, no big issues other than the slow pace and the girls fighting with each other..
I think we had another 3-4 minutes we could've shaved off had we gotten away from them but no one wanted to get up front and sustain a pace fast enough to drop the young girls. When it came to the last mile or so there were a lot of games being played, the pace went to crawl a couple of times.
then a couple folks dropped the hammer and it was on.. I was there but really was not in a good position to gain much.. I was tired and would have to settle for a half hearted pace and get across the line on top of my skates. 1:22:40 2nd in 40-49, 3rd overall Adv men. still got beat by all those girls though.. I think it could've been a lot fast, but racing is not always going as fast as possible.
hoffmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #94
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmonster View Post
There were several (4-5) very young girls who were slapping, pulling, pushing and elbowing their way in, generaly causing problems.
So were the girls just slapping each other, or everyone?
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #95
hoffmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
So were the girls just slapping each other, or everyone?
They were slapping/grabbing amoungst themselves and the Akana girls (Team X from Idaho) trying to wedge themselves into the pace line when they got shuffled out. They did not try that with the adults at all, hehe.. A few times one of the Akana girls put their hands on my waist to make sure they could not get in, that was interesting, not a big deal, I wasn't racing them anyway. I knew we would not drop the Akana girls. I skated with them in Waco, and knew they would be tough. I had also just been at an indoor meet with them and know they are very capable. I was hoping we could drop the others, but that is how it goes in the advanced pack.
hoffmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:41 AM   #96
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
They did not try that with the adults at all, hehe..
Ya, okay, that is what I was thinking - that the adults would, umm, make it clear that they would not put up with that.
Old March 20th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #97
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

Quote:
They were slapping/grabbing amoungst themselves and the Akana girls (Team X from Idaho) trying to wedge themselves into the pace line when they got shuffled out. They did not try that with the adults at all, hehe.
On the 2nd lap one of the Akana girls tried to elbow her way in front of me. I stepped up and put my hand on the skater in front of me and she still tried to push and step in. I leaned my hip into her and had to slide her over a bit before she got the hint. I didn't say a word, just gave her a look and she didn't try it again. It wasn't my race so I stayed out of it up front though I did make sure I beat her in the sprint at the end.

Quote:
I was hoping we could drop the others, but that is how it goes in the advanced pack.
I skate with the other 2 girls. They're tough as well and it would have been really hard to drop them.
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #98
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Nadine from Canada skated her first marathon at Squiggy and her husband made a video of it.

I like it a lot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3sU7bil8gY

Hope you will as well!

Amy Plaisted made a video as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My1RaJN3WBA

Last edited by Birgit; March 20th, 2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added Amy's video
Birgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #99
TASII
Tom

Default Training partners...They'll do it every time!

I put this same post on the Planet, but wanted to 'spread the love'.

Squiggy 2008 was my very first race, so this year at Squiggy was my racing anniversary, but this post is hardly about me. Most skaters that have ‘been around’ know Bob Harwell. We call him many things…but one name is ‘Awesome Bob’. Here is one example why.

I was barely hanging on to a great pack of experienced racers all the way up to finish. But with less than 1000’ to go, my right quad cramped big time (yeah, yeah I know. I can hear the pity party through my broadband connection…). Bob looked back and saw that I had dropped and he slowed down to let me pass. 50 yards from the finish he sprinted, passing me saying, “C’mon! This is what they’ll do to you in every race!”.

I guess you had to be there but it is a great Bob (and Squiggy) story. The folks I train with know how cool this is. I'm sure he takes just a little pleaure in waxing the younger guys, but down deep, he does this kind of thing because really is a team player and likes to share what he knows.

Many thanks to the Squiggy folks and the Planet, but especially Bob, Craig, Lin and all of the folks here in Indy (too many to mention) that love to go fast.
TASII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:52 AM   #100
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100sr110s View Post
…but one name is ‘Awesome Bob’.
Bob also has awesome hair. His hair is nearly as powerful as Chuck Norris' beard...