S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old June 16th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #1
turfboy1997

Default Snyder Advantage Urethane Cushions

Doc,

Did sure grip ever come out with urethane cushions for the snyder advantage second Generation? If so where can i purchase some?

Thanks
turfboy1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:18 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfboy1997 View Post
Doc,

Did sure grip ever come out with urethane cushions for the snyder advantage second Generation?

No.

If so where can i purchase some?

Thanks

Sometimes you have to go out on your own to get what you want / need. I have used all sorts of urethane cushions on Advantages. Some drop on, some need a little help. If you are handy, Reactor cushions seem to be a good fit. I have them on mine, but the retainers will be different.

These have SG Supers. Note the retainers are aluminum flat washers. In order to get a good fit they need to drilled or bored to the proper size. The adjuster nut is a custom aluminum bit as well.

It is a totally different sk8 when you put urethane on the action.
Old June 16th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #3
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Khiros drop right in. This is a double barrel set up. You can play with different duros this way too

This is what I run right now, a barrel upper and cone lower. The cone retainer had to be counter bored so I could use the adjuster nut.
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
Khiros drop right in. This is a double barrel set up. You can play with different duros this way too

This is what I run right now, a barrel upper and cone lower. The cone retainer had to be counter bored so I could use the adjuster nut.

All the good urethane cushions are available in more than one durometer. Khiro does not have a lock on that, but they have a very good range of cushions. They are also very pricy. Since Khiros are skate board parts, they follow the concept that since 4 cushions is a full set for a board, the price can be higher. I am not certain that Khiros provide the equivalent bang for the buck for most sk8rs. I really cannot tell the diff in feel between Supers and Khiros. YMMV
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #5
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post

All the good urethane cushions are available in more than one durometer. Khiro does not have a lock on that, but they have a very good range of cushions. They are also very pricy. Since Khiros are skate board parts, they follow the concept that since 4 cushions is a full set for a board, the price can be higher. I am not certain that Khiros provide the equivalent bang for the buck for most sk8rs. I really cannot tell the diff in feel between Supers and Khiros. YMMV
Yeah, the are a little pricey. Haven't tried any of the others. I think my double barrel kit came with like 5 or 6 different duros, that makes playing around with em more fun.
Old July 31st, 2015, 10:45 PM   #6
turfboy1997

Default Got the sure grip super purples

Doc,

I got the surgrip super purple urethane cushions. i saw in another thread that someone lengthened the kp 2 turns to compensate for the added height of the urethane cushion vs. the rubber. You said this was ok. do you still stand by this?
I have installed the cushions and adjusted the pivots. they look great, but i haven't skated yet.

Thanks,

Brad
Old July 31st, 2015, 11:03 PM   #7
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Doc,

I got the surgrip super purple urethane cushions. i saw in another thread that someone lengthened the kp 2 turns to compensate for the added height of the urethane cushion vs. the rubber. You said this was ok. do you still stand by this?
I have installed the cushions and adjusted the pivots. they look great, but i haven't skated yet.

Thanks,

Brad
A pic would be helpful. Based on what I have done and seen in the past, I would say it's OK but without seeing, an possibly measuring if what I see causes me issues, I cannot guarantee it.

How many turns in are the king pins??

Old August 1st, 2015, 01:35 AM   #8
turfboy1997

the stupid site won't let me post pics. they were all the way seated and went 2 turns out.
Old August 1st, 2015, 04:00 AM   #9
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
the stupid site won't let me post pics. they were all the way seated and went 2 turns out.

Sure it will, ya just have to know how. The instructions are in the general section. BUT if you are only out 2 turns you should be fine. Sk8 carefully until you are sure all is well.
Old August 1st, 2015, 09:59 AM   #10
turfboy1997

I went back and read the thread and the person said 1 to 1.5 turns is what was needed to get the action nut to grab. I went all the way in with the kp and out 1 turn. installed the trucks and cushions and set the action. Adjusted the pivots and everything seems good. Will skate to day and report back.
Old August 1st, 2015, 11:20 PM   #11
turfboy1997

Well i tried out the advantages with the purple cushions, and they are fantastic! they turn like crazy and are twice as snappy as the rubber. i did not see any problems with the one turn out of the kingpin. Set it and forget it! Thanks for all your help Doc! This is the way that a plate as expensive as an advantage should perform. I wish they would listen to you about installing a urethane cushion stock.
Old August 1st, 2015, 11:35 PM   #12
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Well i tried out the advantages with the purple cushions, and they are fantastic! they turn like crazy and are twice as snappy as the rubber. i did not see any problems with the one turn out of the kingpin. Set it and forget it! Thanks for all your help Doc! This is the way that a plate as expensive as an advantage should perform. I wish they would listen to you about installing a urethane cushion stock.
Feel free to let them know that.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 02:10 AM   #13
turfboy1997

i mean what a plate! and then they put junk cushions! they cost me all of $15 to get the new . Oh well! my skates are phenomenal now!
Old August 2nd, 2015, 01:46 PM   #14
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Well, the rubber cushions aren't exactly junk lol. While they're not as snappy as the thane ones they do have a purpose. They help the figure skaters hold their edge better and longer without snapping back into place.
But yeah, those thane cushions will wake those puppies up.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 07:16 PM   #15
turfboy1997

good point with the art skating and the rubber cushions. junk was probably a little harsh! lol! just give me options! the proline gets two to three types of cushions in the box with the plate if I'm not mistaken.