S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 20th, 2020, 10:06 PM   #21
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

You may want to check out ratvision and their testing of ceramic vs steel ball bearings.

Here ya go.

https://youtu.be/KRK0w8P-qy4
Old Today, 12:47 AM   #22
fierocious1

Default 0 gains for all that effort

Bearings that have good lubrication and have smooth races and are undamaged roll as good as any other bearings. Ceramics will only have one advantage, resistances to damage from weather. I don't skate outside so no worries. But Ive been running cheap bearings for ever, no rolling difference that can be detected from one bearing to the next. Have ran same bearings to failure for years with no----- ZERO maintenance. Most bearings with factory oil will run for years, take tons of abuse, speed, sliding, jumping... etc. NO maintenance with plenty of performance, just as fast as any other bearing. A bearing that has drag, is not a bearing anymore, toss it and replace it. My bearings cost about $1.50/set of 16. Spend you time swapping and testing wheels, not bearings, the benefits are much greater. You can do very little to improve on the most precise piece of your skates.
Bragg about selecting the best wheels for your surface, bearings don't matter much, unless you pick out a bearing that cannot hold up to the abuse, like ceramics and the smaller 688s. Mort knows plenty about destroying bearings, he can kill 688s. His tests are about abuse and what they can take. He will kill'em, done it before.
Spend your money on more important things.
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #23
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Bearings that have good lubrication and have smooth races and are undamaged roll as good as any other bearings. Ceramics will only have one advantage, resistances to damage from weather.

Well, that's an opinion, another is "waters wet", meanwhile, ceramic is proven to cause less friction, run cooler and be much more efficient, and last forever.

I don't skate outside so no worries. But Ive been running cheap bearings for ever, no rolling difference that can be detected from one bearing to the next. Have ran same bearings to failure for years with no----- ZERO maintenance. Most bearings with factory oil will run for years, take tons of abuse, speed, sliding, jumping... etc. NO maintenance with plenty of performance, just as fast as any other bearing. A bearing that has drag, is not a bearing anymore, toss it and replace it. My bearings cost about $1.50/set of 16.

The fact that you don't maintain your equipment is telling, your ceiling is my basement floor in my 10 story house.

Spend you(r) time swapping and testing wheels, not bearings, the benefits are much greater. You can do very little to improve on the most precise piece of your skates.

Or discuss bearings, intelligently.

Bragg about selecting the best wheels for your surface, bearings don't matter much, unless you pick out a bearing that cannot hold up to the abuse, like ceramics and the smaller 688s. Mort knows plenty about destroying bearings, he can kill 688s. His tests are about abuse and what they can take. He will kill'em, done it before.
Spend your money on more important things.
So, we shouldn't buy the best available bearings because you say we shouldn't even though they are proven to be more efficient, yet, Mort can destroy bearings?

We shouldn't buy the most efficient bearings because Mort can destroy bearings, what are you smoking?

If your advice is to not clean and oil bearings, I think you should keep your advice to yourself.

In the meantime. bones ceramics and bones speed creme are the best combination available, pretty simple concept, roller skating is simple, leather boots, plates mounted centered in the rear offset to the outside of the foot front, pick your front axle placement and have fun, more fun with the best bearings and lube
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:37 PM   #24
FlailingLlama

Yeah, I did spend a lot (for me) on ceramic balls, and some single bones bearings for "research" but I felt compelled to investigate a topic that is mostly undocumented.

It's fun for me, and I feel like I'm contributing, even if it's in a very small way.

On my other thread (maybe I should make it a new topic so more people see it) I disassembled Bones Super Swiss 6 and Swiss Ceramic, and documented my observations. I also measured all the balls from the different bearings I had on hand to compare.

I found the design of the Swiss Ceramics matched the 10 cent bearings I had, but the surface finishes were visually better.

I was VERY impressed by the design of the Super Swiss 6 bearings. The inner and outer race channels were twice as wide, and much deeper than the 7 ball bearing races.

If I ever buy a set of nice bearings, I'll contact Bones and ask for the Super Swiss 6. Maybe they could be nice and not send me the balls, because I already have ceramics for them
FlailingLlama is offline   Reply With Quote