S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old March 12th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #21
metro_88

Now that the skating season is close (or has arrived, depending on where you live), has anyone tried anything new for 2015?

Last year I relied on iSmoothRun which had a better interface for looking at while skating. iSmoothRun will auto-feed in to RunKeeper which I preferred for looking at my skate logs and sharing with friends. I also used Tapiriik to sync my runs between RunKeeper and Endomondo.

For fitness tracking, I skate with a Polar H7 bluetooth heart rate monitor, and that feeds straight in to iSmoothRun as well.

My last piece of technology is the ICEdot sensor on my helmet in case the worst happens while out skating alone. I fell once last season and it worked exactly like described and sent my wife a text message about my fall and my location.

Looking forward to 2015!

Last edited by metro_88; March 12th, 2015 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added additional information.
metro_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 03:05 AM   #22
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Default Lezyne Mini GPS

I picked one of these up this summer:

This photo shows it attached to one of my longboards. It also snaps nicely into one of my helmet vent holes and seems to work better up there. Obviously if I am skating on my inlines the GPS is going on the helmet.

I use Strava.com as my upload site. The GPS battery lasts 10 hours and will hold hundreds of miles of skating in it's memory. It even registers the temperature as I skate along with time, distance, and elevation changes.
Old August 28th, 2015, 04:33 AM   #23
ajasen

I use my phone along with a Zephyr HXM HRM, bluetooth headphones (to listen to HR zones and/or interval timer), and a number of different apps:
  • Strava (for recording general workouts and recognizing segments within them)
  • iCardio (for HR based intervals... it will announce when you change zones) + interval timer
  • Endomondo (for non HR-zone based intervals and potentially to pace you to a new PR). You can get Endo to announce HR/pace/etc every N seconds, but I find the iCardio solution to be more responsive: as soon as I go out of the HR zone I want to be in, it announces, and otherwise stays quiet.
This all works with music too: when the apps want to announce something, they will mute/lower your music.

Cons: if you are out of cell or wifi coverage, it won't work. Lots of pieces, lots of things to recharge. Probably not waterproof, depending on your phone case.

Pro: cheap. You already have a phone and a headset right?
Old September 4th, 2015, 07:58 AM   #24
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajasen View Post
Cons: if you are out of cell or wifi coverage, it won't work. Lots of pieces, lots of things to recharge. Probably not waterproof, depending on your phone case.
Endomondo works if you don't have a data connection. I often use a phone on airplane mode with GPS turned on to conserve battery or another phone without a SIM card. At the end of the workout it connects to my wifi and syncs the entire workout.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, inline fitness