S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:33 PM   #1
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Default Need a wheel recommendation

So Iím looking forward to the Montreal 24-Hour and thinking about which wheels I want to race on. Last year I raced on 84mm Hyper +G 85aís which worked pretty well. This year Iím on 4x100 and wondering what is working well for other skaters. The course surface is pretty smooth, so it can take a hard wheel. My new Bont boots came with Bont High Roller 85aís -- they seem pretty fast, but I donít have much to compare them to. Iím going to get MPC Storm Surges in case it rains, but for dry-surface racing there are so many new wheels I havenít tried -- Answer, Am-Wing, Gyro, etc. Any recommendations, anyone?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:24 AM   #2
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

AM-Wing would be perfect for you. It rolls great, but the best part is the smooth ride. For long distances you would fatigue as much as a matter wheel.
I didn't try the Bonts yet.

Am-Wings has no grip in rain.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:05 AM   #3
push24

I think I'll take the AM-Wings for 24Rollers LeMans, some other great wheels are the MPC VT ex Firm's and the X-Tech's.
If it is wet/raining I'll go for a mixed setup with VT ex and Storms or mixin' the X-Tech's.
Good luck for Montreal, I hope to participate at this race soon!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:37 AM   #4
sk8crazy

Was in the race there on Mother's Day (it was a lovely, sunny, warm day) and noticed a lot of Green and Natural (white) matters.
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:35 PM   #5
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Right now Iím looking at the Am-Wing Marathon Whites (20mm width -- which width do you use, Sheldon and push24?) and the Matter Yellow Marathon Lites (recommended by Eric Gee). I can get a set of each and run time trials with the High Rollers to see which ones I like the best, then use the other wheels for training. Along with a set of Storm Surges that will be $300+ for wheels... that stimulus check can't come fast enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by push24 View Post
I think I'll take the AM-Wings for 24Rollers LeMans, some other great wheels are the MPC VT ex Firm's and the X-Tech's.
If it is wet/raining I'll go for a mixed setup with VT ex and Storms or mixin' the X-Tech's. Good luck for Montreal, I hope to participate at this race soon!
Good luck! I am hoping to do LeMans some day, maybe next year!
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #6
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

O/I likes the thinnest wheels. excelsk8 likes the 22mm.
I tried all three and am happy with the new 22mm wide wheels.
The thinner wheels help with the double push getting on the exact edge all the time. When I was on the 24mm wheels that wore down, it got to fat and the outside edge kept eluding me.
Get the 22mm.
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #7
online inline

Cowbell, whatever you do, do it well in advance of the 24 hour race, and make sure it is the right formula for a long distance adventure. (Note: Write that down and tape it to the bottom of your monitor).

I think, for an event of this kind, the wrong wheels could ruin you, and the right ones give you a chance of success.

As i really want to see you do well, i'd start with your boot. From my experience, it really will effect what wheels work best. For example, if you have a leather lining and a sturdier boot, you have more options. If you have a very light boot like a Simmons and a neoprene lining, i'd be very cafeful about a wheel which transmits a fair degree of shock and vibration up into your feet. And when you go with a thin wheel, guess what? There tends to be less compound on the wheel to absorb shock, so again, it gets transmitted up the ladder, so to speak, and into your feet.

You say you are on a vaypor now as i recall, and i don't now how they are built, though i never heard much negative in that regard either.

But with 100mm wheels, there is really not so much need to go to a thin wheel like 22mm or thinner. You can do just fine on a 24mm wheel in the 100mm diameter. And thin wheels can fatigue your ankles if you are not really used to them. But they do offer less rolling resistance, which could be a nice competetive advantage in an an ultra endurance event. But weighing all these pros and cons out, i think you would be better off with a 24mm wheel, especially since you've never skated thin wheels before and becuase it is not all that necessary in 100mm diameter.

You say that the pavement is fairly smooth, but since you are on your feet for so long, i would be very careful to not go with too hard a wheel. ANd i would also stay away from heavier wheels, and if i'm not mistaken, i would be careful of the weight of the MPC wheels, whcih at least used to be on the heavy side...

If it was me, i'd probably give the new Gyro 24mm wheel a try at least. I've heard skaters like Fran speak highly of it. And there has been talk about Hyper coming out with some new wheels, but i think it is going to be indoor wheels initially (not sure when and if the outdoors will come).

Good luck.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #8
push24

More Cowbell: My Am-Wing setup is a Blue, 24mm, 100-100-110-110
It's a little sticky when it's terribly hot on the track, but as online inline mentioned, there's a good vibration damping and they have a good endurance.
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #9
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post

You say you are on a vaypor now as i recall, and i don't now how they are built, though i never heard much negative in that regard either.
Vaypor 3pt is solid like a rock. I once skated with a PC vane and I shook a few teeth loose. Matter wheels also rattle my bones more than AM-Wing. 2 team mates of mine complained of fatigue on matter wheels when they got their Bont 3pt after skating 30 miles. So one switched to Bonts new wheel, and the other got my hand-me-down AM-Wing.

I don't know how smooth Montreal is but you will doing 300 miles.
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #10
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Keep in mind that Am-Wing SP and Am-Wing Marathon SP are two totally different wheels. For me, at 190lbs., the Marathon SPs are rather ironically named. But the plain old SP wheels are right up there with Bont G3 as my favorite so far.
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #11
sk8crazy

Montreal is a F1 track and it's very, very smooth.
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #12
excelsk8
MPC Turbo

more cowbell, I would say if you haven't trained in the 20mm or 22mm you better start ... and soon, if you have been skating on 24mm wheels then I would say stay on the 24mm wheels I see that you are looking for hard wheels I would say go with a wheels that is just a little bit softer, not super hard, even though the track is super smooth I would say still have some lightly softer wheels I would say 85A tops, don't go any harder than that, they will give your legs a good rest, I am skating on Gyros right now (as per my sponsor is Gyro) and switching from 20 and 22mm width to 24mm is harder than the other way around I can tell you that much, I seem to be skating a lot faster on them than I was on anything else last year, but regardless I think the profile of the thinner wheels is comfortable only when you have been skating on them for a while. if you want to try a gyro wheel then go for the mild marble 84-84A they are their best wheels by far, on the am wing go for the sp with 22mm width. on the matter go for the matter white, on the MPC go for the vt's but their softer one, their harder one will be to hard for that long a distance.
money wise I would buy the Gyro's and give them a try and see how you like them and train in them, if you don't love them maybe go withe the high roller, the Gyro mild marble is pretty comparable to the storm surge in wet conditions, I really like them in the rain. I have heard really great things from the bonts, I would say race in them if you really like them, they might not feel super fast, but remember over a 24 hour time they may be able to save your legs a lot.

FRan
excelsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #13
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Thanks for the input, everyone! I ordered MPC Storm Surges, Am-Wing Marathon SPís (white 22mm, 24mm not available), and Matter Yellows (the Marathon Lites are apparently discontinued).

I know some people think the Matter Yellows are too hard, but Iíve trained long miles on hard wheels before and havenít had any problems with additional fatigue or foot/ankle pain from vibration, as long as the surface is smooth enough. The good thing is that my training course is very similar to the Montreal track, so I can test wheels on my long skates and switch to a softer wheel if necessary.
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #14
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

I just skated on Bont's new wheels. My results were impressive. Think about these wheels.
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #15
push24

Exclamation Feedback from LeMans'08

I used this year the Blue AM-Wing SP+ and made a bit more than 280 miles on these things without having any problems or excessive wearout.
They're really a great hint for long distance races!

No, I do not work for AM-Wing and I also use other wheels from other manufacturers without bad conscience
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #16
greazer
Forget oil... Grease!

I was doing the duo in the Le Mans 24h this year on 110mm Gyro Marathon wheels and have only good things to say about them. It did not rain so can't comment on grip in the wet. The comfort is the same as most other 85A racewheels, so could be too hard for a 24h solo.

Last years Le Mans 24h (team of 10) I was on 100mm MPC StreetFight exFirm, great wheel IMO, especially when it started to rain! Also very comfortable and long lasting, maybe (yellow or red) Matters are faster but the MPC's keep your legs fresh for longer in the 24h solo, I think in the long run that will make the big difference.

Cheers,
Andy.
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #17
rma88

Default Moronish Responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
AM-Wing would be perfect for you. It rolls great, but the best part is the smooth ride. For long distances you would fatigue as much as a matter wheel.
I didn't try the Bonts yet.

Am-Wings has no grip in rain.
The blog should require a minimum IQ level for responses.
rma88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #18
ncspeed
trouble maker :)

MPC is my choice of weapons especially the street fighters they last forever and also if it rains or the ground gets damp they are good for that to.
ncspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #19
playmaker
Tar Snake Charmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rma88 View Post
The blog should require a minimum IQ level for responses.

You make no sense at all.

I see nothing wrong with the way BWI-Sheldon shared his opinion on these wheels. Oddly, it seems that most of your posts are either intended to be satirical or simply rude.

My IQ 134.
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #20
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker View Post
You make no sense at all.

I see nothing wrong with the way BWI-Sheldon shared his opinion on these wheels. Oddly, it seems that most of your posts are either intended to be satirical or simply rude.

My IQ 134.
Nothing "odd" about it at all, because rma88 is a troll. And ironically, he misspelled "moronic" in the title of his post. It astonishes me how often posts that accuse others of stupidity contain spelling or other errors.