S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Spartan
.45 Magnum

Default build-a-derby skate by price range

In another thread, some of the derby refs and coaches were comiserating about the awful quality of some of the derby packages, for the price. Simply put, some of the components in ready-to-order packages are not the best in the price range. Building a decent skate for a decent price is very hard to do, so it was suggested that we put together some packages that we would recommend to derby girls, based on price ranges. No cheating by using "dealer" prices that no one but you can get.

Range 1 (<$250):

Range 2 ($251-$350):

Range 3 ($351-$450)

Range 4 ($451-$550)

Open class (>$550)

Build away!
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Spartan
.45 Magnum

Using the LPS skate builder. All prices include toe stop and toe guard.

Range 1 (<$250):
Riedell Carrera
Sure-Grip Probe
Sure-Grip Fugitive
Bones Reds
Mounting Fee
$236.00

Range 2 ($251-$350):
Riedell 122
Sure-Grip XK4 Doubler
Hyper Witch Doctors
Bones Reds
Mounting Fee
$331.00

Range 3 ($351-$450)
Riedell 265
Sure-Grip XK4 Doubler
Answer D-Rods
Bones Reds
Mounting Fee
$436.00

Range 4 ($451-$550)
Riedell 595
LASER Hard Nose*
Answer D-Rods
Bones Reds
Mounting Fee
$546.00

Open class (>$550)
Riedell 595
Powerdyne Reactor
Answer D-Rods
Bones Swiss
Mounting Fee
$667.00

*Roll Line was not an option, or I would have used it.

This is a lot harder than it looks.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:10 PM   #3
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

Range 1 (<$250):
The Challenger XK-4 199.99

http://www.backstreetinline.com/quad...llenger%20XK-4

Boots: Sure-Grip's new leather #XL75 boot with Velcro power-straps.
Chassis: Sure-Grip's XK4 Doubler aluminum plates with jump-bar and adjustable toe stops.
Wheels: Sure-Grip's 62mm Fugitive wheels with speed formula.
Bearings: Sure-Grip ABEC-7.

Range 2 ($251-$350):
Conniption Speed Skate..
http://www.conniesskateplace.com/cospskbcogrs.html
Boots: Vanilla Express leather boots.
Plates: SGI XK-4 with single or double action trucks.
Wheels: Matter Tantrum.
Bearings: Lynx ABEC-7

Range 3 ($351-$450)
(350.00)
Riedell 595- 193.00
Sure Grip Nova - 62.00
Answer G- Rods - 55.00
VXB Ceramics Bearings - 40

Range 4 ($451-$550)
Riedell 595- 193.00
Reactor - 225.00
Answer G- Rods - 55.00
Super 6 Bearings - 62

Open class (>$550)

Riedell 911 Custom Yellow or Green.. 305.00
Roll Line Navigator.. 400.00
Swiss Ceramics.. 150.00
Answer G-Rods 55.00
====================910.00

I know I could have gone with the Matrix...but this is a AWESOME package.. below 1000 dollars.

8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

"Sure Grip Rebels" Comfy leather boot, Probes, decent bearings, Fugitive wheels, all for $199.00 Hard to beat.
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #5
Spartan
.45 Magnum

Where are you getting G-Rods for $55? And you would take Sure-Grip bearings over Bones China Reds? Also, I have heard nothing good about the Sure Grip boots. Nothing. Why the XL75?
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #6
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Where are you getting G-Rods for $55? And you would take Sure-Grip bearings over Bones China Reds? Also, I have heard nothing good about the Sure Grip boots. Nothing. Why the XL75?
I would love $55 G-Rods!

...and how come we can't get the 911s in pink? I already have green and yellow skates....
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #7
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Quote:
In another thread, some of the derby refs and coaches were comiserating about the awful quality of some of the derby packages, for the price. Simply put, some of the components in ready-to-order packages are not the best in the price range. Building a decent skate for a decent price is very hard to do, so it was suggested that we put together some packages that we would recommend to derby girls, based on price ranges. No cheating by using "dealer" prices that no one but you can get.
Went with Flyin' Phil's custom skate building page for the quotes. I also weighted my choices away from bling and towards durability; for most people, any boot model over a 125 is overkill, and aluminum-hub wheels are not an economical choice for rough floors.

Quote:
Range 1 (<$250):
Sure-Grip XL-55
Sure-Grip Probe
Hyper Witch Doctor (blue)
Bones Reds
Sure-Grip Mini-Gripper
-----------
$249.95

Quote:
Range 2 ($251-$350):
Riedell 122
Sure-Grip XK-4 (I'd prefer single; YMMV)
Sure-Grip Fugitive
Bones Reds
Sure-Grip Mini-Gripper
-----------
$328.46

Quote:
Range 3 ($351-$450)
Riedell 125
Roll-Line Variant
Sure-Grip Fugitive
Bones Reds
Stops included
-----------
$426.36

Quote:
Range 4 ($451-$550)
Riedell 125
PowerDyne Reactor
Sure-Grip Fugitive
Bones Reds
Sure-Grip Mini-Gripper
-----------
$540.31

Quote:
Open class (>$550)
Riedell 695
Roll-Line Navigator
Radar Devil Ray (orange)
Bones Swiss Labyrinth
Roll-Line Super Pro
-----------
$870.45

Quote:
Build away!

Last edited by The Notorious DGD; May 24th, 2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: I included SGI stops on Range 3 -- oops!
The Notorious DGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #8
G. No-Evil
Outcast/Jet City Bombers

all great packages, and I believe that anything over a 125 is an overkill also. Money should go into wheels and plates.

But a conversation yesterday with a skater who is part of a study on derby related injuries is having an effect on my thinking. All ankle injuries are occuring with "speed" boots we wear. And several have marks where the boot stopped and it actually had a direct impact on how the injury occured. So as in quad hockey where you don't see these kind of injuries it makes me want to recommended a change in thinking. Go quad hockey! Reno, Meneghini, Procat and even on the low end Bauer. So it is going to take even more research for this.

My boots right now

Meneghini Spiders 250
Proline Plates 300
Bone Reds 26
Answer G/D Rods (mix for pushers) 90

Price= 666
G. No-Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #9
8-Ball

Quote:

Back... Street.. Inline...

the bearing choice was just a package.. and I really am not saying I FIND them great skates.. I dont recommend ANY package under 400.. PERIOD...

I dont recommend the china reds ..or any ABEC Rated bearings.. PERIOD.

7mm- Boss, Fafnir, Swiss Ceramics.. ONLY.

8mm- SUPER 6 ONLY!!!..

But I had to fit in a price range

I also dont recommend the silly hockey boot derby skates I am seeing coming out...

And as I have put out 1001010 times... there are cheaper prices out there.. EVERYONE can enjoy them..
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #10
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

I also have mixed feelings about Speed Boots, compared to Hockey Boots. ---Most of us use Old 166 Classics for outdoor, but for the derby Court, they have proven to be a little to restrictive in the ankle, although very supportive. I guess it boils down to what may fit the individual skaters needs, more than what I may chose for myself. ---Although "Quad Hockey" boots do have a softer cuff than an "Ice Hockey" or "Inline Hockey" boot, it is still a little more restrictive to those that want to put a hand on the floor for stability, as they make the corners.
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #11
G. No-Evil
Outcast/Jet City Bombers

Default 8 ball

I haven't noticed your resistance against quad hockey boots. What's the story? And have you had any skaters break ankles? (serious ankle injuries)
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #12
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. No-Evil View Post
I haven't noticed your resistance against quad hockey boots. What's the story? And have you had any skaters break ankles? (serious ankle injuries)

Regardless of what skates you have on.. or use.. you will break ankles.. your touted hockey boots will not stop that from happening.. Ice Hockey skaters still manage to break ankles ever season...

My resistance to them is purely them being restrictive in ALL aspects of quad skating...

I am sure some of my hesitation is due to being a old speed skater.. and resistant to some changes.. Some things just dont need to be fixed.. or tweaked in my mind... and the hockey boots that I am seeing coming out.. do not impress me.. and thus.. will not be recommended by me. **not that anyone listens to me anyhow**. No different to me not wanting to recommend the BONT boots.. or the Grand Prix or 811s and other low profile... while others love em.

With that said.. I have posted photos.... of a new R/D boot that Riedell is working on...

This was the first generation... and evolved into these (shown below on Jawbreaker with the Minnesota Rollergirls)....as shown briefly on the ESPN segment aired about 2 weeks ago.

These are a hybrid hockey style boot that shows great promise... though.. I have no idea how long before Riedell puts these into production..
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:22 AM   #13
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayglodivine View Post
Riedell 125
Roll-Line Variant
Sure-Grip Fugitive
Bones Reds
Stops included
-----------
$426.36
Bang for the buck, it looks like all of the best stuff is here.... I might go for some Witch Doctors if they were for me, but a lot of skaters really like the Fugitives.
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #14
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Regardless of what skates you have on.. or use.. you will break ankles.. your touted hockey boots will not stop that from happening.. Ice Hockey skaters still manage to break ankles ever season...

My resistance to them is purely them being restrictive in ALL aspects of quad skating...

I am sure some of my hesitation is due to being a old speed skater.. and resistant to some changes.. Some things just dont need to be fixed.. or tweaked in my mind... and the hockey boots that I am seeing coming out.. do not impress me.. and thus.. will not be recommended by me. **not that anyone listens to me anyhow**. No different to me not wanting to recommend the BONT boots.. or the Grand Prix or 811s and other low profile... while others love em.

With that said.. I have posted photos.... of a new R/D boot that Riedell is working on...

This was the first generation... and evolved into these (shown below on Jawbreaker with the Minnesota Rollergirls)....as shown briefly on the ESPN segment aired about 2 weeks ago.

These are a hybrid hockey style boot that shows great promise... though.. I have no idea how long before Riedell puts these into production..
They're awesome-looking boots, but they look kinda uncomfortable on the ankle-motion front, and I really wish Riedell would steer away from making derby boots on the 395/811/etc. last. They make their high-end women's artistic boots on a split last with narrower heels for a reason: because regardless of width, that's how women's feet tend to be shaped. The 265s were made on the newer last, and one of the big problems people seem to be having with them is heel slippage; mine slipped so much that I recently sent them back to Riedell for alterations. The other lace-to-the-toe boots run narrow and are not without their fit issues, but they can at least be double-laced and/or stretched in problem areas; it's a lot harder to work with something that's too loose.
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #15
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. No-Evil View Post
We have had a few ankle breaks. But knees seem to be the "curse" here. The only Girl who used a "166" is now retired from the League. I have yet to get a chance to experiment with any of the New Italian stuff, but would like to. I wouldn't like skating on anything lower than a Hockey boot, but my right ankle has issues, and needs a little babying.
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #16
G. No-Evil
Outcast/Jet City Bombers

8-ball, I can see your point. And in speed skating the boots are made lower on inlines as well. But these girls are not just going around fast, they are moving side to side and jumping. I guess I look at it like basketball 3/4 to high tops. They are made like that to add some protection. But we can agree to disagree, we are human.

But if you ever get a chance at competing against Oly Rollers, you are going to freak, they all wear Meneghinis and over half of them are speed skaters.
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #17
8-Ball

Quote:
They're awesome-looking boots, but they look kinda uncomfortable on the ankle-motion front, and I really wish Riedell would steer away from making derby boots on the 395/811/etc. last. They make their high-end women's artistic boots on a split last with narrower heels for a reason: because regardless of width, that's how women's feet tend to be shaped. The 265s were made on the newer last, and one of the big problems people seem to be having with them is heel slippage; mine slipped so much that I recently sent them back to Riedell for alterations. The other lace-to-the-toe boots run narrow and are not without their fit issues, but they can at least be double-laced and/or stretched in problem areas; it's a lot harder to work with something that's too loose.

They actually are VERY comfortable. The leather is similar to that of the 911. Double layered.. with re-enforced counters to offer extra support and dur-a-bility. The tounge is extra padded and the eyelets go up to the top to offer a snug, supporative fit. The interior around the ankle is suede leather and it has a closed toe box that is a pretty stiff leather...again.. similar to the 911 (minus the flap).

Well see if Riedell puts these into production.. and what modifications they will make if they do. Hopefully they dont dumb these down TOO much.. My guess though .. from feeling and seeing their construction.. they will be near the 911 price.. if not more.
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #18
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Quote:
They actually are VERY comfortable. The leather is similar to that of the 911. Double layered.. with re-enforced counters to offer extra support and dur-a-bility. The tounge is extra padded and the eyelets go up to the top to offer a snug, supporative fit. The interior around the ankle is suede leather and it has a closed toe box that is a pretty stiff leather...again.. similar to the 911 (minus the flap).

Well see if Riedell puts these into production.. and what modifications they will make if they do. Hopefully they dont dumb these down TOO much.. My guess though .. from feeling and seeing their construction.. they will be near the 911 price.. if not more.
I dunno...nothing about those boots looks right. The laces don't go all the way to the top (not that it terribly matters, because the top is angled), and there isn't any other way to secure them. The closed toe box is okay if the skates are a perfect fit, but offers no recourse if they don't. The pic you showed at the top had flaps, where the one on the bottom didn't; with all the falls that skaters do and the subsequent need for toe guards (or at least for those who are smart enough not to needlessly rip up their skates), I hope they don't. That's just my opinion, and regardless of what I think of the boots, they will probably sell. But most people would buy a polished turd if they thought it would make them better skaters, while the better skaters are out there doing a lot more with a lot less.
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #19
8-Ball

Quote:
I dunno...nothing about those boots looks right. The laces don't go all the way to the top (not that it terribly matters, because the top is angled), and there isn't any other way to secure them. The closed toe box is okay if the skates are a perfect fit, but offers no recourse if they don't. The pic you showed at the top had flaps, where the one on the bottom didn't; with all the falls that skaters do and the subsequent need for toe guards (or at least for those who are smart enough not to needlessly rip up their skates), I hope they don't. That's just my opinion, and regardless of what I think of the boots, they will probably sell. But most people would buy a polished turd if they thought it would make them better skaters, while the better skaters are out there doing a lot more with a lot less.

The skate at the top was R/D #1.. that generated into.. R/D #2.. shown at the bottom.

The complaint on the top one was just that.. it needed two more eyelets to alow for a more comfortable fit.. The flap was removed.. just cause it really served no purpose other then looking flashy... the boot AS now.. is a thing of beauty.. comfortable fit..

I guess when you enter into the 300 dollar price range.. you have the boots prof. fitted. Always helps when Riedell is 1 hour down the road from us..

Again.. I am very interested.. in seeing what Riedell does here.. I just hope they dont go cheap..and use something dumb like the 265 leather.... or lessen the tonge padding.. or go with a closed toe.. WHo knows.. time will tell.. but with no other boot mfgers out there pushing Riedell.. there is really no NEED for them to do anything.. when they OWN like what.. 95% of all new boot purchases in the Quad market??... hell Id go as high as 98%.
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #20
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Quote:
The skate at the top was R/D #1.. that generated into.. R/D #2.. shown at the bottom.

The complaint on the top one was just that.. it needed two more eyelets to alow for a more comfortable fit.. The flap was removed.. just cause it really served no purpose other then looking flashy... the boot AS now.. is a thing of beauty.. comfortable fit..

I guess when you enter into the 300 dollar price range.. you have the boots prof. fitted. Always helps when Riedell is 1 hour down the road from us..

Again.. I am very interested.. in seeing what Riedell does here.. I just hope they dont go cheap..and use something dumb like the 265 leather.... or lessen the tonge padding.. or go with a closed toe.. WHo knows.. time will tell.. but with no other boot mfgers out there pushing Riedell.. there is really no NEED for them to do anything.. when they OWN like what.. 95% of all new boot purchases in the Quad market??... hell Id go as high as 98%.
I missed the part about one evolving into the other. Still don't like the design, though -- especially the ankles. They're a copout for all the people who complain about getting "ankle bite," when the real problem is not the skates but the fact that they don't bend their knees.

Personally, I think the current line of boots is quite sufficient as is, and if anything, a lot of skaters are going from inadequate gear to expensive gear that won't last any longer than the stuff in between. What I really wish is that Riedell would steer its efforts toward a better plate in the lower reaches of the price range...something that is lightweight like a Reactor, yet low-maintenance like a Dynapro, without the flex/durability issues that plague nylon plates.