S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old May 29th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #1
dcuper1
Fuhgeddaboutit

Default How to get rid of a blister?

I have a nasty blister on my right ankle. I am wearing the Eze fit booties and today I tried adding two band aids and the bootie on top, went out to skate, but it was hurting so much I couldn't skate for 5 minutes.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of blisters? I need to make sure I am not disabled for the Skate of the Union half marathon on June 15.

Daniel
dcuper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #2
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

I put salt under a bandaid and stick it on it. It's tricky. You might want to wet the salt. Anyway, the idea is that the salt sucks out the liquid. It works for me.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #3
gatorback

Put duck tape over the blister and leave it on for about a week. Don't remove the tape at all. Simply keep the tape on to protect the skin. If the tape sweats off clean the skin with alcohol and apply some new tape.
gatorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #4
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

+1, except I drain it first with a needle, and make the hole big enough to not allow it to fill up.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #5
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

I don't think you can "get rid" of it. You just have to avoid touching that area for a while and it will go away by itself.

However, if you actually have to skate with blister on, there's a few things you could do to minimize the damage.

1. Take a piece of band-aid, cut the adhesive part away. Stick the remaining pad to a bigger piece of Moleskin, then apply on your trouble spot.

2. Or you could get a foam pad, cut a hole in the middle, then tape the ring-shaped thingy around the blister.
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #6
chacata
Skinsuited at last

All of the above are band aid methods, what you need is get rid of the blister for good. Blisters mean movement get rid of that movement. All of the methods above will work to help heal the blisters and keep you skating.

But if you wanna say them bye forever get rid of the movement AKA heat mold.
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #7
online inline

duct tape works okay but it can cause as many problems as it fixes. If you can afford it, moleskin is vastly superior.
My method is simply to put the ezefit bootie over it unless it is just too painful to skate that way. For me, i just skate that way.
If you have to, however, use a little patch of moleskin over the blister and then the ezefit bootie. You can leave the moleskin on for about 3 or 4 days, but it is good to let air get to it between skate sessions, so you probably want to take it off.
The most painful part is when the water from your shower hits that bad boy!
I don't believe in taking time off to let them heal, but if you just keep skating on them, it can take a long time for them to completely heal.
Band aids by themselves are useless as they won't stick.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #8
speedysktr
President of Everything

I never drain a blister unless I have to. Remember: it's nature's tegaderm. That fluid is helping it heal faster. I popped my last one with a fork just so I could make it squirt out like a fountain, it worked really well. (the good thing about a needle is it might seal up and reform after your skate.) I put a large, heavy nexcare bandage over each of my two blisters. The one on the achilles came off after the 1st skate, the other one is still there since monday and that's after two skate outings and a tap dancing class.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Tremor
I tastes like chicken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
...and a tap dancing class.
I'm sorry... I can't top laughing, really... stop it... it's... too early for this! UHHHHHHH!
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #10
speedysktr
President of Everything

Just seein' if people are paying attention!!!

Heck I wouldn't rule it out, kinda
looks like fun to me. You gonna try
and tell me Gene Kelly wasn't the man?
It would have to be good for giving
ya some fast feet.
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #11
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

All kidding aside, I wonder if tap dancing is a good cross training activity? It looks like you need speed, endurance, balance, and ankle strength.
Iím quite serious and wonder if any speedskaters do this.

It won't help the rollerblading gay issue though.
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #12
Code Monkey

Bill in Houston and Speedysktr got it right. Do not drain the blister.

Take 800mg Vitamin E d-alpah tocopheryl daily.

At night when you have about fifteen minutes or so, make a very strong solution of salt and tea and soak your feet in it. It is kind of like what Bill said with the salt but also cleans the wound if opened and also not opened. I know the tea thing sounds odd but do it, you will thank me later. I learned that trick years ago in the Air Force before starting my survival training. We had to walk so many miles from a point to point and survive, it was unbelievable. Just to show you in a matter of less than two weeks I went from a very lean and hard 180 lbs to 145lbs. Anyway, the thing is if you are out in the wild and your feet give out and get infected you are not long for this world. Being that the only way to move which is survival you must walk or run. So my sergeant who was getting me ready got me doing that soaking every night for a week and my feet got very tough but not hard so the skin cracks, the skin must be tough but flexible. I covered my 250 miles for pickup and my feet were beat up but fine.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #13
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

I guess we differ on this.

I agree that the fastest overall way to heal is to allow the new skin underneath to grow in its natural state. That is with the old outer skin in place and the fluid in there keeping it all nice and protected.

However, I find that if it is blown up with liquid, when I skate on it, the outer skin will just rip away because it is sliding around on the cushion of liquid. Then I have an open wound that will not heal unless I'm off it for several days and if you know me, that's not happening unless its raining.

So I make the drain hole in it and try to get the outer layer of skin to rest flat against the new skin growing underneath. The duct tape protects the whole thing by holding it stiff. This will stop the outer layer from getting ripped off.

Currently I was lazy this past week and I did not put on tape on a rear of ankle blister, and now I have an open wound on the back of the ankle.
It ain't stopping me though. A little vaseline on the raw skin and grey duct tape over it all, and see ya later.
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #14
speedysktr
President of Everything

All I meant was keep from popping it if you can or as long as you can. There's no way they wouldn't have popped the next time I skated. I agree with draining it, but I'm telling you, the thicker foam Nexcare that usually say something like "athletic" or something similiar, usually do not come off until you pull it off even after repeated showers. No sticky mess and they're thicker than duct tape. On my achilles, that's a different story; that's just a higher friction point than most places.
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #15
Tuesday Girl

Default Gene Kelly tap dancing on roller skates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
and tell me Gene Kelly wasn't the man?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aus1PA5-SyI

Have you ever seen this? At about 2:20 he starts the tapping! Awesome! (Sorry for the hi-jack!...but it's worth it!)
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #16
skaterdog

I love that Gene Kelly skate dancing clip.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #17
chacata
Skinsuited at last

WOW what a good skater he was.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #18
Drella
alive with pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinghornet View Post

2. Or you could get a foam pad, cut a hole in the middle, then tape the ring-shaped thingy around the blister.

Nice,, I'm going to try this tonight....
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:36 AM   #19
XaviarCraig

I figure I'll ask this here instead of making a new thread for it.

How do you guys normally deal with a blister within a blister? I got 3 of those after a 47 mile run last weekend. I tryed poping both but the skin under the blister inside the first blister is EXTREMELY tender to touch.
XaviarCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM   #20
dcuper1
Fuhgeddaboutit

Here's an article on the NY Times about blisters:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/fa...ssandnutrition
dcuper1 is offline   Reply With Quote