S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Tell Us About Your Artistic Roller Skating Club

Skaters around the world, tell us about your local artistic roller skating, inline figure skating, and precision roller skating clubs and teams.
  • At which roller skating rink, sports center, or leisure centre is your club based?
  • Does your artistic club or your club's roller rink have a Web site or a MySpace page?
  • Who coaches your club?
  • What year was your club founded?
  • At which events do your club members typically compete?
  • Which skaters have been members of your club? Any national or world champions?
  • Has your club hosted any local, regional, national, or international events?
  • Do you have any team pictures or individual pictures of your club members to share?
For a list of clubs in several different countries see:

Artistic Roller Skating Clubs Around the World
http://www.quadskating.com/artistic/clubs/

- K
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #2
skater.mom
Proud Mom of Joey

Default TAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
Skaters around the world, tell us about your local artistic roller skating, inline figure skating, and precision roller skating clubs and teams.
  • At which roller skating rink, sports center, or leisure centre is your club based?
  • Does your artistic club or your club's roller rink have a Web site or a MySpace page?
  • Who coaches your club?
  • Which skaters have been members of your club? Any national or world champions?
  • Do you have any team pictures or individual pictures of your club members to share?

- K
We skate with Thunderbird Artistic Club, lovingly known as TAC, at Thunderbird Roller Rink in Plano, Texas.
The website is http://www.thunderbirdskatecenter.com/
Our AMAZING coaches are Reanon McCartney-Sandlin and Robyn Young
This is our 4th season with the current club, but most of us branched off from Broadway with Johnny Mahon. Our rink had a club in the old days that was run by Dori and her husband Anthony who own our rink.
We mostly compete at local events. We really enjoyed going to the Heart of Memphis Invitational this year, and we look forward to more out of state events in the season to come. Please send us all the info you have if you hold a meet!!! My email is the contact email for our club.
We are mostly new skaters, though a few of us have competed at Nationals for the past 4 years. Here's hoping we land on the podium this year
We held our first ever Jamboree and Test Center this Easter. We look forward to many more to come!!
skater.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Latinboy

I skate with skater.mom too.
Latinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #4
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinboy View Post
I skate with skater.mom too.

Hey Latin where have you been. what coach are you with now and how is your skating going. update us
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #5
skater.mom
Proud Mom of Joey

Default Latin

Hey...Latin hasn't been on much as of late. He skates for Reanon McCartney with TAC. We'll see y'all at Nationals!!!
skater.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #6
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater.mom View Post
Hey...Latin hasn't been on much as of late. He skates for Reanon McCartney with TAC. We'll see y'all at Nationals!!!

thanks for the info i watched Reanon skate for years.
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM   #7
gluefish

Default In search of the perfect club...

My name's Lou Wilson.

I skated with the following clubs:
Pismo Beach 1959 - Neal & Mary Ann Brundage - 1st & 2nd Dance Bar
Santa Maria 1960-61 - Ray Miller - Bronze Medal Dance
Pasadena 1961-62 - Dick Madigan - Silver Bar and Silver Medal dance
Montebello 1962 - Dick Madigan -
Lynnwood, WA 1962-63 - 1st, Novice figures, NW regionals
Gardena, CA 1963-64 - Bob Labriola
Santa Ana 1964-65 -
Burbank, 1965 - Bill Madigan
Whittier 1965-66 - Bob Labriola - Gold Bar Dance
Brookpark, OH 1966 - Jim Harmer, pro; partner: Susie Smith
Lynnwood, WA 1967 - 1st, Intermediate figures, NW regionals
Lynden, WA 1968-69
Richmond, BC (ice), 1969

What can I say - Dad and Mom made those decisions. The significant decision I made was in 1970 when I decided that skating was what DAD AND MOM wanted me to do, not me.

Here's a pic of the Pasadena club in 1962. I also have a '59 pic of the Pismo club if anyone wants to see it.
(I'm the geeky looking 16 year old in the band pants on the left. It wasn't bad enough I was a skating geek, I was a band geek too.)

I don't remember most of their names, except Mike Meguiar, who is one of the owners of Meguiar's auto polishes, and Carleen Piercy, who later married him.

Last edited by gluefish; September 1st, 2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: update
gluefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM   #8
rwsz

Lou welcome to the forum, i am sure you can add a lot of insight here. enjoy

Ciao
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #9
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluefish View Post
My name's Lou Wilson....

I don't remember most of their names, except Mike Meguiar, who is one of the owners of Meguiar's auto polishes, and Carleen Piercy, who later married him.
Oh my gosh Lou! I do remember seeing you skate. I however didn't know Mike Meguiar and Carleen were skaters too! Next time I see Mike or Barry at the classic car show here... (I am restoring a '79 450SL and see him about 3-4 times a year...) I will mention this to him!

Good lord where will skating people pop up in my life again! Nice to see you here! Stick around!
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #10
lu li

Hi all, I,m proud mum of two skaters, here in the south of Spain, we have about 60 in our club although we practice outside .Great atmosphere at the competitions and lots of interest.
lu li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #11
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu li View Post
Hi all, I,m proud mum of two skaters, here in the south of Spain, we have about 60 in our club although we practice outside .Great atmosphere at the competitions and lots of interest.

60! Wow! Welcome to the boards.
Artistic Skate Videos
[URL]www.youtube.com/ArtisticRollerSkatin[/URL]
Mom2Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #12
SkybornSkateland

Default Skyborn Skateland in Fairborn Ohio

After more years than anyone around here can remember (someone says it's been on the same night for 35 years) we have changed our Artistic Club Social Night at Skyborn Skateland in Fairborn, OH from Wednesday's to Thursday's.

I wanted to take a moment and invite anyone that might be in the area to join us on our new night Thursday evenings from 8 pm - 10 pm for an all Organ Music-Dance session. Admission is $5 and spectators are always welcome (and free).

The rink is owned and operated by David Ripp whose background in skating most everyone already knows. (Briefly I'll say that: His Grandfather founded Snyder Skates, his mother (Shirley Snyder) was a champion skater and he personally has more skating accomplishments than I can list here (13 national 1st, 2nd and 3rd placements). He is now the president of SkatesUS and continues to work on developing new skates.) He tries to be here every Thursday night as he personally enjoys skating the session and likes to talk skates and skating with everyone.

While I am authorized to speak on behalf of SkatesUS and Skyborn Skateland any errors are solely mine.
SkybornSkateland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #13
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default Yeeks Cars too

I spen a whole bunch of time playing with Hot Rods. My Hot Rodding buddy that now lives out in San Jose is good friends with Barry Meguiar, too

Do you ride motorcycles too???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWehmeier View Post
Oh my gosh Lou! I do remember seeing you skate. I however didn't know Mike Meguiar and Carleen were skaters too! Next time I see Mike or Barry at the classic car show here... (I am restoring a '79 450SL and see him about 3-4 times a year...) I will mention this to him!

Good lord where will skating people pop up in my life again! Nice to see you here! Stick around!
Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #14
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default Si si

Welcome to the group.

I haven't been to the South of Spain, but I have lived in Barcelona, and have many friends there that I still visit. I'll have to try and find a skating rink there the next time I'm in Spain.. I skated a lot when I lived in Torino. Italy a few yaers back, I just never had the time to find a rink in Spain..

Outdoor skating !! On what kind of surface???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu li View Post
Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #15
Ohio Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluefish View Post
My name's Lou Wilson.

I skated with the following clubs:
Pismo Beach 1959 - Neal & Mary Ann Brundage - 1st & 2nd Dance Bar
Santa Maria 1960-61 - Ray Miller - Bronze Medal Dance
Pasadena 1961-62 - Dick Madigan - Silver Bar and Silver Medal dance
Montebello 1962 - Dick Madigan -
Lynnwood, WA 1962-63 - 1st, Novice figures, NW regionals
Gardena, CA 1963-64 - Bob Labriola
Santa Ana 1964-65 -
Burbank, 1965 - Bill Madigan
Whittier 1965-66 - Bob Labriola - Gold Bar Dance
Brookpark, OH 1966 - Jim Harmer, pro; partner: Susie Smith
Lynnwood, WA 1967 - 1st, Intermediate figures, NW regionals
Lynden, WA 1968-69
Richmond, BC (ice), 1969

What can I say - Dad and Mom made those decisions. The significant decision I made was in 1970 when I decided that skating was what DAD AND MOM wanted me to do, not me.

Here's a pic of the Pasadena club in 1962. I also have a '59 pic of the Pismo club if anyone wants to see it.
(I'm the geeky looking 16 year old in the band pants on the left. It wasn't bad enough I was a skating geek, I was a band geek too.)

Hi Lou. That is a great pic! I skated from Ohio the same time you were at the Brookpark Club. I knew Jim Harmer. Terry
Ohio Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:29 AM   #16
Starbuck

Default Skating club/"skating social organization"

The skating club I belong to is out of Fleetwood Roller Rink in Summit, Illinois. Unfortunately, I think membership is dwindling, and dwindling FAST. Club practice and lesson time are being pushed aside for private parties and birthday parties. I can understand an organization needing to make money, but geez......The coach's name is Larry, I don't know his last name, he does have quite a few students although I don't know where they practice. The kids are taught freestyle while adults such as myself, whether we want to learn freestyle or not, are shoved into dance. I won't bore you with that any more......

I also go to Orbit Skate Center in Palatine, Illinois. The rink doesn't have a "skate club" per se,but a club called "Planet Skate" where rink admission is a flat $5, there are three days per week where there are two-hour blocks allotted for free practice for Planet Skate members (which is awesome, although so far it's only been me!), discounts in the proshop, and other stuff I can't think of off hand. I did get a fab deal on my Bones Elites and will likewise get same when I upgrade to my Bones Swiss. There is also a faboo coach, Roger Waumpach (SP?). I really want to work with him. He gave me a few pointers a few weeks ago and I'd really like to work with him. I think he believes in me.

So that's where I come from.
Starbuck
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #17
bearingsandblades

Hi all you artistic skaters. My name is Dennis Sample. I skated in the late 70's to late 80's. I began my skating at a local rink in Marion, IN called Idyl Wyld and my coach was Sheryl Truman. I later began practicing and competing out of Alexandria, IN with W-Wheelers skating club. My coach was Jim Harmer. My best friend while skating out of this club was Bryan Denney. I had a couple other coaches over the years including Tim Able and Billy Ferraro. Back in the day, some of the people I competed against at nationals included: Greg Smith, Dion Gentile, David Cox, and David Demotte. I still have great respect for these competitors and many others. Some of the people that I remember watching hours and hours of video of included: Tim McGuire, Rick Monturo, Rick Elsworth, and Paul Price and Tina Kneisley. I had a lot of friends out there from all over the country and I wonder if any of these names ring a bell. I did recognize one name from these posts... Robyn Young. Is this the same Robyn Young that skated with Ken Benson?
bearingsandblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #18
GGfan
Local Silver Medalist

Quote:
  • Who coaches your club?

- K
United Skates of America in Tampa, FL.
Missy Lingo
Freestyle
Yes, Alex is 3-time National Champion, Tabby is 4th in the Nation, with triples.
Not sure about the others.
GGfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #19
CyCy

Quote:
  • Who coaches your club?
I've skated for a few clubs:

Starting in 1981 skating at RollerPalace in (Sheepshead Bay) Brooklyn, New York, a disco rink, had a very small club primarily created so the owners daughters could skate artistic competitive. I was 33 or 34. It was really primarily a kid's rink and I was the only "older" skater in their club. So I switched pros and clubs, skating for Lorraine and Donald Kennedy at Carolier in N. Brunswick, New Jersey. Then Carolier shut their doors and we moved to South Amboy. I was told last night that S Amboy hasn't been artistic in years, which is sad. That is a gorgeous rink, beautiful floor. I skated for Lorraine Kennedy for three plus years, getting my judging credentials in test/competitive in all disciplines. I was NJ State Champion in Esquire Ladies Figures in '85, 4th in the region.

S Amboy had a good sized club, I can't say how many, but I'll guess around 30 or so skaters, all artistic disciplines, but mostly freestyle kids, a couple of dance teams, some figure skaters and possible a speed team.

As of this past Monday I'm will be skating at Ron-A-Roll in Vernon, CT.

Gorgeous rink, beautiful floor, dance, figures and a speed team. My pro will be Monica Delvy (?, I think is her last name) (if I don't fall on my head like Humpty Dumpty and break it)

They have a Weds Artistic Session fr 7pm - 9:30. Admission is $7. including skate rental. This is a fully operational rink, open 7 days a week. Preregionals and regionals will be skated there this year! (yaay!)

I wish I could tell you who skates at my club. I just started so I'm really at a loss for names at this point. I can tell you as I noted in another thread, this is mostly an older group, long time skaters, most of them very accomplished, some titled and many are competing now. That means I'm in good company, competitive skaters at a proficiency level to work towards.

I do have some old pictures, but I'd have to do some searching in my basement, which I intend to do, particularly to show my grandchildren who are not quite sure what to make of their grandma roller skating again.
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote