S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    


Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name


Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #1
Lobster
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2
Default 110mm Wheel Reviews

Hello fellow speedskaters -

A couple years ago, at the dawning of the age of 110mm wheels, I reviewed the handful of 110's on the market. Basically, I decided that Matter 110's were the best, hands down.

Fast forward to June of 2008, and there's a LOT more 110mm wheels on the market. In the last few months, I've skated Gyro, Am-Wing (Tarmac), and Matter wheels. I've been on Gyro and Tru-Rev wheels, along with PC-Vanes.

My latest take on various wheels:

- Gyro wheels have pretty good roll, last a long time, but don't grip very well. Tru-Rev wheels are basically like Gyros. I haven't tried the 2008 Gyros, and would like to see if the compounds changed with the color change.
- Am-Wing wheels roll like crazy, but wear out super fast. I would feel pretty good on these in a race, but for day-to-day training and skate-commuting, they're not a good choice.
- PC-Vane wheels (do they still make 'em?) flex like crazy and are crap for skating on, unless you want to bomb a straightaway downhill - in which case, they're faster than a rocket ship. But jeez - at 185 lbs., the 22mm/110mm wheels (blue) would flex so much they'd scrape the side of my frames!
- White and Yellow Matters are still my favorite. Green Matters are a little sluggish but better than average in the rain. Still, Matters are the standard by which all other 110mm wheels are measured, as far as I'm concerned.

After busting through a 100mm Star Grip hub (and luckily not breaking a leg!) I opted not to test drive the 110mm Star Grips. Of course, there are the new Answer wheels (aren't those Matter hubs and a new compound?), and there are some Korean wheels I haven't tried. And at $18 a wheel, I've yet to try MPC wheels, though I hear that the gold MPCs are quite nice, and that the Storm Surge wheels are great in the rain. Oh - and I have a set of G3 Bont wheels arriving soon... Much cheaper than the G4 wheels.

So... Your thoughts, everyone? What are your experiences on 110s? Do tell!
Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #2
gatorback
Senior Member
 
gatorback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 209
Default

What hardness Gyro did you try?

I have very much liked the 2006-2007 Gyro Blue and Pink wheels. These were the softer compounds Blue was 83a and Pink was 81a. The grip on these wheels very good and they provided better grip for the roads I skate on then my old standard Hyper Mach II while also lighter weight and providing a more comfortable ride.

I am looking forward to trying the new Gyro compounds once I kick this summer illness that has had me off skates for about a week with a low grade fever, body chills, congestion, and other such flu like symptoms.

I have the new 83a white Gyro wheels and like the white color vs. the blue and pink (yuck) wheels from last year.
__________________
-mark
http://www.gatorbackskate.com/
http://gatorback.wordpress.com/

Last edited by gatorback; June 27th, 2008 at 03:26 PM.
gatorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough
 
Bill in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, Texas, USA
Posts: 5,886
Default

It would be great if every review would include the weight of the skater and the surface he or she skates on. Also, if possible, any objective measures you used. Thanks!
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #4
chaosdsm
Senior Member
 
chaosdsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 235
Default

110's I have used:
Tru-Rev Uranus (not impressed, but these were from the very first production run... I've been told that later runs produced better wheels...)
Matter Green & Matter White
MPC Street-fight Gold

I agree with the Matters being THE wheel to judge all others by... For my money, they simply have the BEST for price to performance ratio. Which is why I plan on stocking up on them...

I recently got a set of the Street-Fight Gold 110mm, I've been comparing them to my White Matter 110's.

First let me say that I'm not a professional skater, nor a professional reviewer. No one sent me these wheels asking me to review them. I bought them from Inline Warehouse.

My methods aren't ideal, nor is my weight I skated both times at about 216lbs, not counting clothing, skates, & protective gear.

I've done all I can do to give the Street-Fight Gold wheels an unfair advantage over the White Matters, not counting the extra hardness. Heavily greased generic ABEC-7 bearings in the Matters, fresh race oil lubed Twin-Cam ILQ-9 Black Ceramic Ball bearings in the Street-Fight Gold.

I've skated 2 different courses with 2 different surfaces. 55 miles total, 21 miles on the Matters, 24 miles on the SF-Gold, that's total miles, actual miles doesn't include all the mileage (pit-stops, water breaks, etc...) First time out I started with the SF-Gold, then switched to the Matters for the 2nd half of the skate. 2nd time around I started with Matters then switched to the SF-Gold.

Round 1 results: No heart rate data, forgot to bring monitor. 50 minute break between sets to cool off & swap wheels.

SF-Gold: 10.79 miles: 57m:9.84s: average lap speed = 11.6MPH (dropping the two slowest & 2 fastest laps) Best lap speed= 12.9MPH Max speed = 17.9MPH
Matter: 12.34 miles 1h:7m:42.31s: Average lap speed = 11.04MPH (dropping the two slowest & 2 fastest laps) : Best Lap speed= 12.7MPH: Max Speed = 18.6MPH

Round 2 results: 45 minute break between sets to cool down & swap wheels & I remembered the heart rate monitor! Max speed for both skates was set 3 miles from finish.
Matter: 9.91 miles: 54m:41.64s: Average = 10.86MPH (dropping the two slowest & 2 fastest laps): Best Lap speed = 13.0MPH: Max speed = 19.9MPH Average heart rate = 162: Max Heart Rate = 182
SF-Gold: 11.18 miles: 1h:12m:45.04s: Average Lap Speed = 10.56MPH (dropping the four slowest laps): Best Lap speed = 12.6MPH: Max speed = 20.1MPH Average Heart Rate = 165: Max Heart Rate = 192 (NOTE: overtightened skates after wheel swap, so three of the early laps included stopping to make adjustments... which is why I dropped the 4 slowest laps for this round)

All data recorded with Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS.

In my book, the SF-Gold = pathetic Just swapping from my heavily greased training bearings to my ceramic race bearings usually nets me a 1.3 to 1.5 MPH average speed boost while maintaining a 165bpm heart rate avearge. They look like they might wear better than the White Matters, but for the (shipping) price of 27 110mm SF-Golds, I can have 40 110mm White or Yellow Matters shipped to me...

After a generally good trial run of the "Prologue" Bont G4 100's, I plan on trying the 86a Bont G4 110's soon... same price as the SF-Golds , but hopefully they'll perform much better if the 100mm 84a Prologue's are any indication.

Oh & I do plan on a round 3, on yet another different course, & this time I will use only the race bearings in both sets of wheels... with possilby 4 wheel changes: SFG > Matter > SFG > Matter...

Last edited by chaosdsm; June 29th, 2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: add more info
chaosdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #5
albanyinline
GT Speed (Albany, GA)
 
albanyinline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Albany GA
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdsm View Post
Oh & I do plan on a round 3, on yet another different course, & this time I will use only the race bearings in both sets of wheels... with possilby 4 wheel changes: SFG > Matter > SFG > Matter...[/I]
Thank you for doing this painstaking review on these wheels. It is invaluable for us to be able to read reviews such as this.

I agree with your plan on testing these wheels under identical conditions.
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future" - Yogi Berra

[URL="http://www.albanygtspeed.com"]GT Speed (Albany)[/URL]
albanyinline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #6
MachV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Houston, Tx.
Posts: 1,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdsm View Post
My methods aren't ideal, nor is my weight I skated both times at about 216lbs, not counting clothing, skates, & protective gear.

I've done all I can do to give the Street-Fight Gold wheels an unfair advantage over the White Matters, not counting the extra hardness. Heavily greased generic ABEC-7 bearings in the Matters, fresh race oil lubed Twin-Cam ILQ-9 Black Ceramic Ball bearings in the Street-Fight Gold.
You cannot give an 83A (Street Fight) wheel an advantage over an 85A (Matter white) at 216lbs. The harder wheel will support the weight better.

A better comparison for the Matter white would be MPC Variable Traction firm wheel (86A). The Street Fight should be compared more to a Matter green (83A).
__________________
Leroy

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:05 AM   #7
shyokou
Junior Member
 
shyokou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9
Thumbs up Nice reviews on wheels :)

Though I can hardly find any skaters on 110mm wheels in my surrounding area, the reviews should be helpful for any upcoming upgrade of equipments

Thanks a lot !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
Hello fellow speedskaters -

A couple years ago, at the dawning of the age of 110mm wheels, I reviewed the handful of 110's on the market. Basically, I decided that Matter 110's were the best, hands down.

Fast forward to June of 2008, and there's a LOT more 110mm wheels on the market. In the last few months, I've skated Gyro, Am-Wing (Tarmac), and Matter wheels. I've been on Gyro and Tru-Rev wheels, along with PC-Vanes.

My latest take on various wheels:

- Gyro wheels have pretty good roll, last a long time, but don't grip very well. Tru-Rev wheels are basically like Gyros. I haven't tried the 2008 Gyros, and would like to see if the compounds changed with the color change.
- Am-Wing wheels roll like crazy, but wear out super fast. I would feel pretty good on these in a race, but for day-to-day training and skate-commuting, they're not a good choice.
- PC-Vane wheels (do they still make 'em?) flex like crazy and are crap for skating on, unless you want to bomb a straightaway downhill - in which case, they're faster than a rocket ship. But jeez - at 185 lbs., the 22mm/110mm wheels (blue) would flex so much they'd scrape the side of my frames!
- White and Yellow Matters are still my favorite. Green Matters are a little sluggish but better than average in the rain. Still, Matters are the standard by which all other 110mm wheels are measured, as far as I'm concerned.

After busting through a 100mm Star Grip hub (and luckily not breaking a leg!) I opted not to test drive the 110mm Star Grips. Of course, there are the new Answer wheels (aren't those Matter hubs and a new compound?), and there are some Korean wheels I haven't tried. And at $18 a wheel, I've yet to try MPC wheels, though I hear that the gold MPCs are quite nice, and that the Storm Surge wheels are great in the rain. Oh - and I have a set of G3 Bont wheels arriving soon... Much cheaper than the G4 wheels.

So... Your thoughts, everyone? What are your experiences on 110s? Do tell!
shyokou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #8
chaosdsm
Senior Member
 
chaosdsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
You cannot give an 83A (Street Fight) wheel an advantage over an 85A (Matter white) at 216lbs. The harder wheel will support the weight better.

A better comparison for the Matter white would be MPC Variable Traction firm wheel (86A). The Street Fight should be compared more to a Matter green (83A).
The Street Fight Gold are "supposed" to be 87A, not 83A, & everyone who sells them (that I have found) with a hardness rating other than "Ex Firm", lists them as 87A
http://nettracing.com/htm/wheels/MPC...Gold_Wheel.htm
http://www.x-vracing.com/mpcstfiwh.html
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=MSF
chaosdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #9
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator
 
mvirtue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 2,035
Default

The progression of hardness for MPCs

Gold VT > Pink VT > Gold SF > Silver SF > Storm Surge

I view the Gold SF as a good all around wheel. Fairly good in Dry and good in the wet.

I would race on VTs and train on SFs. If the race were damp I'd do the SFs. If it was absolutely wet with no chance of drying out I'd do the Storm Surges.
__________________
- Mark
Bremerton Speed
http://www.bremertonspeed.org
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #10
MachV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Houston, Tx.
Posts: 1,166
Default

They are extra firm when compared to the green 81A Street Fights.

Here is interview & wheel pictures with P. DiJulio of MPC wheels:
http://blading.at.webry.info/200606/article_9.html

The newer white hub Street Fights don't have the durometer labeled on them anymore. They just say Extra Firm. The older labeled wheels have the durometer stamped on the wheel. It says 83/62. The 83a is for the outer layer of urethane and 62 is for inner band of urethane. I have 3 sets with the durometer labeled on the wheel.

http://www.webersports.com/store/MPC...s-P939C69.aspx

If you go the webersports link above, they are still listed correctly.

This page has a picture of all the MPC wheels:

http://blading.at.webry.info/200701/article_3.html


If you want to see just the picture:
http://www.geocities.jp/hzc67342/not...701_img_3g.jpg


Some folks say they "roll like" an 87A wheel, but the actual durometer is 83A.
__________________
Leroy

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM   #11
chaosdsm
Senior Member
 
chaosdsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 235
Default

So basicly, what I'm hearing about these "great wheels" is pure BS & they've got people paying $16+ per wheel based on hype.... Cause even against the Green Matters, they don't stack up for me.

I'll say one thing for the Gold SF's though, if they are indeed 83A (manufacturers change hardness quite often BTW) they sure do not wear down like an 83A under my weight...

Off to find a Durometer tester....
chaosdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:59 PM   #12
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator
 
mvirtue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 2,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdsm View Post
So basicly, what I'm hearing about these "great wheels" is pure BS & they've got people paying $16+ per wheel based on hype.... Cause even against the Green Matters, they don't stack up for me.

I'll say one thing for the Gold SF's though, if they are indeed 83A (manufacturers change hardness quite often BTW) they sure do not wear down like an 83A under my weight...

Off to find a Durometer tester....
For me the SF beat Matter greens hands down. They beat Hyper Mach IIs. Remeber the SF is not supposed to be a racing wheel but an all around training wheel.
__________________
- Mark
Bremerton Speed
http://www.bremertonspeed.org
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:19 PM   #13
gneal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdsm View Post
So basicly, what I'm hearing about these "great wheels" is pure BS & they've got people paying $16+ per wheel based on hype.... Cause even against the Green Matters, they don't stack up for me.

I'll say one thing for the Gold SF's though, if they are indeed 83A (manufacturers change hardness quite often BTW) they sure do not wear down like an 83A under my weight...

Off to find a Durometer tester....

At 216#, dual durometer wheels, with softer center compress too much. These wheels work best for skaters under 190#, 200# absolute max.

EDIT: I had some single pour prototype VTs (almost 2 yrs old) and let a friend that is 215# use them. He says they were the best 100s he has used to date. They were 84A and 86A
__________________
George Neal, Liberty Sports Racing
"Intelligent Innovation"
http://www.libertysports-race.com
gneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #14
MachV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Houston, Tx.
Posts: 1,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
For me the SF beat Matter greens hands down. They beat Hyper Mach IIs. Remeber the SF is not supposed to be a racing wheel but an all around training wheel.

I think someone forgot to tell Luca Presti plus a few others the SF was a training wheel while winning a gold medal at Worlds on them. LOL
__________________
Leroy

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #15
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator
 
mvirtue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 2,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
I think someone forgot to tell Luca Presti plus a few others the SF was a training wheel while winning a gold medal at Worlds on them. LOL
Track or road?
__________________
- Mark
Bremerton Speed
http://www.bremertonspeed.org
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #16
sniper
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 32
Default

hey guys,it not any hype,i have been loving mpc wheels from the time i am on it,who said sf is a training wheel,all mpc wheels are meant for absolute racing,people who can afford to training,its well n gud on their part,street fight is a dual purpose wheel which can be used on road and track as well,it was supposed to be road wheel but skaters could not digest the fact that it was doing so well on track that it become more of a track wheel so the company launched its exclusive road rage that's variable traction,the wheel cost 16$ cause there is lot of technology,research and development invested on it,if it was a hype,why would people pay 25$ a wheel for a junk,the company did not do anything about it,trust me,to me n all the skaters who train and race on our track get 40-50 micros difference between matter wheels,i have nothing against matter wheels but seriously i feel very slowly when i am on it,i have also checked the clock and the clock does not lie,my sf 100s timing are better than matter 110s,mpc wheels have been improving their wheels from the time they are on the market,the new street fights with white hub are faster and griper than the old sfs with purple hub,i am just giving my feedback....
sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #17
MachV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Houston, Tx.
Posts: 1,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
Track or road?
He did it on the track.

A U.S. World team member used SFs for the marathon at Worlds.


Um George, ckeck your PMs.
__________________
Leroy

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #18
chaosdsm
Senior Member
 
chaosdsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
hey guys,it not any hype,i have been loving mpc wheels from the time i am on it,who said sf is a training wheel,all mpc wheels are meant for absolute racing,people who can afford to training,its well n gud on their part,street fight is a dual purpose wheel which can be used on road and track as well,it was supposed to be road wheel but skaters could not digest the fact that it was doing so well on track that it become more of a track wheel so the company launched its exclusive road rage that's variable traction,the wheel cost 16$ cause there is lot of technology,research and development invested on it,if it was a hype,why would people pay 25$ a wheel for a junk,the company did not do anything about it,trust me,to me n all the skaters who train and race on our track get 40-50 micros difference between matter wheels,i have nothing against matter wheels but seriously i feel very slowly when i am on it,i have also checked the clock and the clock does not lie,my sf 100s timing are better than matter 110s,mpc wheels have been improving their wheels from the time they are on the market,the new street fights with white hub are faster and griper than the old sfs with purple hub,i am just giving my feedback....
100's Vs 110's is not a fair test, some people actually perform better on 100's than on 110's when all else is the same, same skates, same frames, same bearings, same wheels (i.e. 100mm white Matter Vs 110mm white Matter), same course, etc... Even one's perception of a wheel can change their actual performance, which is why I use a heart rate monitor when ever I can. It tells me just how hard I am truly working on those sprints & whatnot.

For me, the Green Matters perform identical (+/- 1%) to the Gold SF's, White Matters are just flat out faster, & that's Vs the white hub SF Gold's. Saddly these more expensive wheels will be relegated to a training wheel & the Matters will remain my race wheels. Since my ideal weight is about 195, it doesn't sound like the SF's will ever be a good choice for me.

BTW... people buy wheels based on feedback (which can be pure hype), & all I ever heard about the SF's was good... but they just don't work for me.
chaosdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.