S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old August 19th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #201
Dennis Belkofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.flatwheel View Post
I would like to know how some of the past greats are doing and what there up too.. any one know...
Thanks so very much for stimulating this query. I skated dance in the 60's and 70's and would like to know where these skaters are today:

Great Lakes Region: Linda Mace, Zelda Reynolds, Bobby Jo Fish, Jackie Svehla (I think that is the spelling.) and Jim Chorak, Diane Hackett, Ray Cook and Jeannie Desarmoux ( Not sure of spelling), Gary Ritchie and his sister (I think her name is Charlene), Mary Alice Clouse (The first senior dance skater to leave her leg back on the counter in the Pacifica Foxtrot), Sue Welch Whalig.

Texas: Paul Boehme, Pam Cornwall

California: Nancy Lumpkin

Southern region: Linda Jo Baker and Jack Breen

If anyone knows where they are today, please respond.

Thanks,
Dennis
Chicago
Dennis Belkofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #202
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Belkofer View Post
Thanks so very much for stimulating this query. I skated dance in the 60's and 70's and would like to know where these skaters are today:

Great Lakes Region: Linda Mace, Zelda Reynolds, Bobby Jo Fish, Jackie Svehla (I think that is the spelling.) and Jim Chorak, Diane Hackett, Ray Cook and Jeannie Desarmoux ( Not sure of spelling), Gary Ritchie and his sister (I think her name is Charlene), Mary Alice Clouse (The first senior dance skater to leave her leg back on the counter in the Pacifica Foxtrot), Sue Welch Whalig.

Thanks,
Dennis
Chicago
hi i dont know of any of the others but i thought i heard in the past few months that Jack Breen from Mass passed away,,,not 100% sure of that though.
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:44 PM   #203
Dennis Belkofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
hi i dont know of any of the others but i thought i heard in the past few months that Jack Breen from Mass passed away,,,not 100% sure of that though.

Thanks Rick. Linda Mace skated out of the old Akron, Ohio, powerhouse club. Her parents owned the rink. She was coached by Art Durand, who had almost as many champions as the late Ron Jellse. Linda won Novice Dance (now sophomore) and Intermediate Dance (now Jr,) with Keith Runnels. Linda skated with me when I passed the Gold Medal test. Jackie Svehla and Jim Chorack won Inter. Dance (Jr) in 1962. Bobbie Joe Fish and Ronnie Bragg won the event in 1963 and placed 3rd in Senior Dance in 1964 and 2nd in 1965. These were all great teams.

Mary Alice Clouse placed second in Senior Dance wiith her partner, I think his name is Louis Parker, in 1959, 3rd in 1960 and 2nd in 1961. They skated out of Pontiac, Michigan, and were wonderful. As I said, she was the first senior skater to keep her free leg back on the counter in the Pacifica Foxtrot.

Linda Jo Baker and Jack Breen from Atlanta won Senior Dance in 1960 and 1961. Her dad coached them.

Paul Boheme and Pam Cornwall won a bunch of events - Int. Dance and Pairs, Sr. Pairs and a number of singles and figure events. They skated out of Pasadena, TX. Paul won 4 events at the 1961 nationals - 2 with Pam and 2 alone.

Nancy Lumpkin skated Senior Dance with Richard St. Hillaire (not sure of spelling) and other partners and placed in the top 3 a number of times. She was a nice person and a beautiful dance skater.

It would be great if anynone knew where they are today.

Dennis
Chicago
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:51 AM   #204
rwsz

Quote:
Thanks Rick. Linda Mace skated out of the old Akron, Ohio, powerhouse club. Her parents owned the rink. She was coached by Art Durand, who had almost as many champions as the late Ron Jellse. Linda won Novice Dance (now sophomore) and Intermediate Dance (now Jr,) with Keith Runnels. Linda skated with me when I passed the Gold Medal test. Jackie Svehla and Jim Chorack won Inter. Dance (Jr) in 1962. Bobbie Joe Fish and Ronnie Bragg won the event in 1963 and placed 3rd in Senior Dance in 1964 and 2nd in 1965. These were all great teams.

Mary Alice Clouse placed second in Senior Dance wiith her partner, I think his name is Louis Parker, in 1959, 3rd in 1960 and 2nd in 1961. They skated out of Pontiac, Michigan, and were wonderful. As I said, she was the first senior skater to keep her free leg back on the counter in the Pacifica Foxtrot.

Linda Jo Baker and Jack Breen from Atlanta won Senior Dance in 1960 and 1961. Her dad coached them.

Paul Boheme and Pam Cornwall won a bunch of events - Int. Dance and Pairs, Sr. Pairs and a number of singles and figure events. They skated out of Pasadena, TX. Paul won 4 events at the 1961 nationals - 2 with Pam and 2 alone.

Nancy Lumpkin skated Senior Dance with Richard St. Hillaire (not sure of spelling) and other partners and placed in the top 3 a number of times. She was a nice person and a beautiful dance skater.

It would be great if anynone knew where they are today.

Dennis
Chicago

wow what a group, i dont know any of them, but they are a bit older then me but not much lol.
Old August 24th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #205
Terry

Quote:

Thanks,
Dennis
Chicago

Hi! I remember most of these people. I skated from the Akron club my last competive year! My first Nationals was Little Rock in 1960 and my last Nationals was 1970. The Great Lakes skaters you mentioned were great skaters and most were friends of mine! Terry Seese
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #206
Dennis Belkofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Hi! I remember most of these people. I skated from the Akron club my last competive year! My first Nationals was Little Rock in 1960 and my last Nationals was 1970. The Great Lakes skaters you mentioned were great skaters and most were friends of mine! Terry Seese

Hi Terry:

Do you know where they are and doing today?

Dennis
Chicago
Old August 25th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #207
Terry

Quote:
Hi Terry:

Do you know where they are and doing today?

Dennis
Chicago
Hi Dennis: Nice to meet you. Perhaps we knew each other way back when in Ohio. I skated from Grove City, Ohio most of my competitive years, except for the Akron Club. No, I do not know what any of the Ohio folks are doing these days. I moved to San Diego in 1979 and lost contact with most people. I received one email from Fred Smith a few years ago. What events did you participate in? I skated pairs and singles, mostly. Terry
Old August 25th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #208
angoraknitter

Quote:
Hi Dennis: Nice to meet you. Perhaps we knew each other way back when in Ohio. I skated from Grove City, Ohio most of my competitive years, except for the Akron Club. No, I do not know what any of the Ohio folks are doing these days. I moved to San Diego in 1979 and lost contact with most people. I received one email from Fred Smith a few years ago. What events did you participate in? I skated pairs and singles, mostly. Terry

Terry,
Did you skate in San Diego ever????? I skated down there 88-93. Tell me have you been to the new Chula Vista rink yet? What's the floor like? Do they have a club? The only club down there now, that I can find, and to my utter shock is Linda Vista Skate World, the smallest floor I've ever been on, and yet it survived!

Welcome to the board Terry!
angoraknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #209
Dennis Belkofer

Quote:

Good to meet you, too, Terry:

I skated dance and figures, focused on passing the Gold Medal Dance Test, which I did in 1964, (Linda Mace skated with me. Do you remember Linda and her sister Sandy?) and judged. Ohio had so many good skating clubs back then. I certainly remember that Grove City was one of them. I also remember how large the events were at the Ohio State Meet. Novice Dance, now called sophomore, for example, had over 100 teams. The judging took hours. Making it to regionals in any event was an accomplishment.

During the 60's, I skated out of the old Rollercade, which was a huge rink with an organ player, in Toledo, Clawson, MI outside of Detroit in 1970, placing 4th at regionals in Intermediate Dance (now called JR) with Beth Ann Finnegan;Tom Miller and Don Gates coached us. I then quit after getting married and returned in 1975 to skate Junior Dance (the old Intermediate) again with Beth Ann Finnegan. That year, we skated out of Skateland in
Toledo and were coached by Adolph Wacker, winning regionals and placing
7th in the semi-finals at nationals. I'm sure you remember Ellie Fish Wojnarowsky, Bobbie Jo's younger sister. Both girls were cute and sweet - and great skaters. In 1977, Ellie and I were going to team up and skate Senior dance out of Brookpark, with her then husband Wayne as coach. Working as a teacher, going to graduate school and raising my son didn't afford me the time. It's hard to believe that was 30 years ago.

Did you now Wayne? He and Ellie divorced and he married Jane Purrachio. Wayne was killed in an auto accident 10 years ago. I talked with Jane at the 2006 Great Lakes Regional Championships. She coaches and is as spunky as ever.

Living in San Diego must be wonderful. Keep in touch.

Dennis
Chicago
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #210
Terry

Quote:
Good to meet you, too, Terry:

I skated dance and figures, focused on passing the Gold Medal Dance Test, which I did in 1964, (Linda Mace skated with me. Do you remember Linda and her sister Sandy?) and judged. Ohio had so many good skating clubs back then. I certainly remember that Grove City was one of them. I also remember how large the events were at the Ohio State Meet. Novice Dance, now called sophomore, for example, had over 100 teams. The judging took hours. Making it to regionals in any event was an accomplishment.

During the 60's, I skated out of the old Rollercade, which was a huge rink with an organ player, in Toledo, Clawson, MI outside of Detroit in 1970, placing 4th at regionals in Intermediate Dance (now called JR) with Beth Ann Finnegan;Tom Miller and Don Gates coached us. I then quit after getting married and returned in 1975 to skate Junior Dance (the old Intermediate) again with Beth Ann Finnegan. That year, we skated out of Skateland in
Toledo and were coached by Adolph Wacker, winning regionals and placing
7th in the semi-finals at nationals. I'm sure you remember Ellie Fish Wojnarowsky, Bobbie Jo's younger sister. Both girls were cute and sweet - and great skaters. In 1977, Ellie and I were going to team up and skate Senior dance out of Brookpark, with her then husband Wayne as coach. Working as a teacher, going to graduate school and raising my son didn't afford me the time. It's hard to believe that was 30 years ago.

Did you now Wayne? He and Ellie divorced and he married Jane Purrachio. Wayne was killed in an auto accident 10 years ago. I talked with Jane at the 2006 Great Lakes Regional Championships. She coaches and is as spunky as ever.

Living in San Diego must be wonderful. Keep in touch.

Dennis
Chicago
Hi Dennis: I knew Beth, Ellie, Tom Miller, Jane, Wayne, Bobbi Jo, Adolf, Linda and Sandy! All those folks were friends of mine! I skated from the Akron Club my last year of skating. I loved the Toledo Rollercade! I even remember the old Cleveland Rollercade. Great old rinks!! Our paths most certainly had to cross. Drop me a line@ skate-one@cox.net I can send a pic and you may remember me, if you filter thru the ages... I went to school at Bowling Green, became an educator, and moved to San Diego in 1979. I really do miss skating..... Terry
Old August 25th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #211
Dennis Belkofer

Quote:
Hi Dennis: I knew Beth, Ellie, Tom Miller, Jane, Wayne, Bobbi Jo, Adolf, Linda and Sandy! All those folks were friends of mine! I skated from the Akron Club my last year of skating. I loved the Toledo Rollercade! I even remember the old Cleveland Rollercade. Great old rinks!! Our paths most certainly had to cross. Drop me a line@ skate-one@cox.net I can send a pic and you may remember me, if you filter thru the ages... I went to school at Bowling Green, became an educator, and moved to San Diego in 1979. I really do miss skating..... Terry

Terry - for some reason I can't send the message. My email address is dennisbelkofer@hotmail.com. Send one to me and let's see if it works.
Dennis
Old August 29th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #212
rdojack

Default Also looking for a skater

This person, Sylvia Stunevik, skated at the Oaks (Portland, Or) in the late 50's and 60's. A close friend of hers (Ed) is interested in hearing about her. We hope someone can help. The information is sketchy, but that's all we have to go with for now. RD
rdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 12:41 PM   #213
LinP

Default Dennis Hinton?

When I was a girl and skated in Tampa, we had a national champion freestyle skater named Dennis Hinton. He was just a kid, around 10 or 12 years old. I remember him being so good. I wonder if he grew up to be a coach, of if he just drifted away from skating. Does anybody recognize the name. I have often wondered what happened to his coach, I think his name was Jim Harmer? Does that name ring a bell? Thanks.
LinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 03:39 PM   #214
rdojack

Default Jim Harmar

Yes,
Jim Harmar is alive and very well. He is currently coaching at the Roll-Arena in Elyria OH. I believe you can look up the rink on the official RSA web site and get an e-mail address for the rink.
This year if you had watched the National streaming, you would have seen him skating Solo Dance, and maybe figures. RD
rdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #215
kzarah

Default Where Are These Skaters Now?

I knew Linda Maceís sister Sandy Mace though another skater in Akron named Kevin OíBrian. I remember Dennis Hinton. He skated reverse and was very good. You didnít see many reverse skaters back then. He also skate pairs with a little girl that was reverse. I canít remember the name of his coach. My name is Daniel. I grew up in Toledo Ohio. I skated for Toledo Rollercade the year before they tore it down. Then we went to Walbridge (the smallest rink imaginable.) After that it was to Adrian Michigan. There my pairís partner was Carol Simon. I donít know if any of you know these names but Patty Baker and Janet Witko skated for Toledo Rollercade then. Peggy Yambor taught Becky Hrabowski (excuse the spelling) who I know from being a little kid because her grandma lived four houses down the street from us I competed in Roller Skating from 1965 through 1975. I skated Singles Pairs and Fours. Went to Nations in Fours. Mike Dorso Jr. skated fours with myself, Jackie Fosgate and Carol Simon when we went to Nations. He father owned the Toledo Rollercade. I had a couple different partners that did very well in sings. I don't know if you know any of these skates, Sharon Ingles(Hillsdale Michigan), Kim Drew (Monroe Michigan) I had a few coaches. Don Gates taught Kim and me. John Harris taught Shari and me. I used to ride to practices with the Fosgates and for years would play around pair skating Amy Fosgate. I have been away from the sport for a many many years and just rediscovered artistic roller-skating on the Internet. I was good friends with the Kerners and I learned that Janet Kerner, Amy Fosgate, and Sharon Ingles all won nations on the junior level. Kim Drew was second in the novice level. I think that Judy Kerner won juvenile dance. Triples were not the norm back then. I was a pretty good skater. I was a decent spinner and a consistent jumper. I had clean flip lutz loop, salchow, toe wally and of course mapes. I learned to jump clean at the Toledo Rollercade by trying to jump high enough to hit my head on the organ booth at the back of the rink. Of course it was too high to hit my head however I tried and had clean jumps as a results of it. Gary Mickens skated for John Harris as well. He came from a family of skaters. I believe that Mike Michens won Nationals a couple of time. I also knew Dick Manns who later on won senior dance at nationals. I could hit a clean boechel and cheated double axel (triple salchow and mapes a couple of times. I had friends from other clubs. I was a good friend with Kevin Obrian from Akron rollercade. I loved skating I won a placed in many competitions. I was pretty good. I was second in Ohio behind a guy named Ron Sabo he pairs with girl named Sue. I canít remember name off hand. They skated out of Brookpark Ohio. He couch said I should have won. Anyway that is my story. My last name has changed but then it was Medlen. I doubte that anyone could remember me but if you do. I would love to hear from you. I cut a lot of the post out of introduce yourself. I see that It has a lot of errors that I must go back and correct. It has been great reminiscing.
Pax
Daniel
kzarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #216
kzarah

Hey Tim McGuire.
I mentioned that I had rediscovered rollers skating. I saw a clip of yours on youtube. I sure you have heard it before But I was very impressed. Is there any chance anywhere that there are more clips of videos of your skating. I would love to see them.
Daniel
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #217
Dennis Belkofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzarah View Post
I knew Linda Maceís sister Sandy Mace though another skater in Akron named Kevin OíBrian. I remember Dennis Hinton. He skated reverse and was very good. You didnít see many reverse skaters back then. He also skate pairs with a little girl that was reverse. I canít remember the name of his coach. My name is Daniel. I grew up in Toledo Ohio. I skated for Toledo Rollercade the year before they tore it down. Then we went to Walbridge (the smallest rink imaginable.) After that it was to Adrian Michigan. There my pairís partner was Carol Simon. I donít know if any of you know these names but Patty Baker and Janet Witko skated for Toledo Rollercade then. Peggy Yambor taught Becky Hrabowski (excuse the spelling) who I know from being a little kid because her grandma lived four houses down the street from us I competed in Roller Skating from 1965 through 1975. I skated Singles Pairs and Fours. Went to Nations in Fours. Mike Dorso Jr. skated fours with myself, Jackie Fosgate and Carol Simon when we went to Nations. He father owned the Toledo Rollercade. I had a couple different partners that did very well in sings. I don't know if you know any of these skates, Sharon Ingles(Hillsdale Michigan), Kim Drew (Monroe Michigan) I had a few coaches. Don Gates taught Kim and me. John Harris taught Shari and me. I used to ride to practices with the Fosgates and for years would play around pair skating Amy Fosgate. I have been away from the sport for a many many years and just rediscovered artistic roller-skating on the Internet. I was good friends with the Kerners and I learned that Janet Kerner, Amy Fosgate, and Sharon Ingles all won nations on the junior level. Kim Drew was second in the novice level. I think that Judy Kerner won juvenile dance. Triples were not the norm back then. I was a pretty good skater. I was a decent spinner and a consistent jumper. I had clean flip lutz loop, salchow, toe wally and of course mapes. I learned to jump clean at the Toledo Rollercade by trying to jump high enough to hit my head on the organ booth at the back of the rink. Of course it was too high to hit my head however I tried and had clean jumps as a results of it. Gary Mickens skated for John Harris as well. He came from a family of skaters. I believe that Mike Michens won Nationals a couple of time. I also knew Dick Manns who later on won senior dance at nationals. I could hit a clean boechel and cheated double axel (triple salchow and mapes a couple of times. I had friends from other clubs. I was a good friend with Kevin Obrian from Akron rollercade. I loved skating I won a placed in many competitions. I was pretty good. I was second in Ohio behind a guy named Ron Sabo he pairs with girl named Sue. I canít remember name off hand. They skated out of Brookpark Ohio. He couch said I should have won. Anyway that is my story. My last name has changed but then it was Medlen. I doubte that anyone could remember me but if you do. I would love to hear from you. I cut a lot of the post out of introduce yourself. I see that It has a lot of errors that I must go back and correct. It has been great reminiscing.
Pax
Daniel
Hi Daniel:

I skated at the Toledo Rollerecade the same time you did. Peggy Yambor was my coach. Patty Baker, and her family, were dear friends of mine. I remember when her sister Joan bought the rink in Walbridge. Talk about small!!! It could fit into the snack bar at the old Rollercade. I skated dance and figures and passed the Gold Medal Dance Test in 1964. Also, I skated with Patty Baker, who won Novice Ladies' Singles in 1965 ( I think that was the year.), when she passed her Gold Bar Dance Test. I also took from Don Gates and knew the Ingles from Hillsdale, as well as everyone else you mentioned. I saw Peggy last year at the 2006 Great Lakes Regional meet. Boy was she a beauty when she was young! It was wonderful to see her again after 20 years. She was my first coach - I started lessons when I was 12. Peggy knew how to teach dance footwork perhaps better than anyone. Do you know what has happened to the people you mentioned?

Dennis
Chicago
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #218
LinP

Default Roll - Arena in Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzarah View Post
Pax
Daniel

Yep, Dennis was a lefty, as was his pairs partner, Dottie Sue Higgins. They skated out of Roll-Arena in Tampa. His coaches were Bill Meyer, who owned the rink, and Jim Harmar. I would love to hear from anyone who skated out of Tampa during those years. Bill Meyer sold the rink and opened another one in Ft. Collins, CO.
Thanks for responding, Daniel
LinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #219
kzarah

Dennis
Your name sounds familiar but I can't quite remember. I was about 14 then and I am now 53 and living in So Cal. Peggy Yambor was beautiful. She grew up on the east side and taught my sister in public classes at Fun Spot. Did you know Robin Kovacs? Many of us at Rollercade were Catholic and would run into each other at Sunday Mass. The Yambor family would often go to our parish. I remember when I was about 19 years old I got Joe Yambor (He was a barber) tostraighten my hair so that it would longer however Peggy said that if I didnít cut it off I would not be allowed to practice or compete for her rink. I skated there when it was first built. The year our fours time went to nations I road to Lincoln with Janet Witko Carol Simon and her mom. Did you know Peri or Darr Smith? How About Gail Longenberger? I would love to know what happened to her. If you every see here or any one you can tell them Danny Medlen said hello. My last name now is Saint Julian. I took my mothers maiden name about 25 years ago. Wallbridge was small. You couldn't possible remember Penny Grey. Joan Row was Patty's sister. Could Patty Baker ever spin. I remember Gary Row was a pretty good skater in my book. I saw on the Internet that Doug Ingles was mayor of Hillsdale but was beating out Tuesday by and 18 year old. Check out the link

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05317/605060.stm

In my garage I have a trophy from a meet in Hillsdale. I also have one from the meets at Bells in Fort Wayne.As far as what happenedn to any of these people is not necessarily good. I have to say I had a lot of trophys. My coach John Harris got married around 1974. Every one loved John Harris. He was very good to us. Remember he used to work in a super market at night. A few years after John Harris got married, I moved to California. I heard that my former partner Kim Drew stole his wife from him and were a couple for a while. I periodically check for names in the Internet. I looked up Amy Fosgate and saw a picture of her from the year she won junior ladies and almost cried my heart out. I was very close with the Fosgate Family. It would be too much to hope for but do you have any pictures or videos of any of these people our course yourself as well. I hope to hear from you again. When I skated, I was able to skate and compete out of the generosity of my coaches (did I mention Phyllis Romec was my coach the last year that I skate) In closing I am new to this forum so I don't know if this has been said. For me, my completive years skating were the best years of my life. It was so much fun. We laughed all the times. I was the clown and prankster. Fellow skaters went everywhere together. I loved roller-skating and completing in roller skating. Practicing was never work for me you had to make me stop. I could not wait to go skating. I went everyday. To tell you the truth I sometimes do axels in my soxs in the living room it's ok just as long as I don't knock over the lamb or step on the cat.
Daniel Saint Julian

Ps remember going to Frishes restaurant near the Rollercade?

Last edited by kzarah; September 6th, 2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #220
masterd

Default Lost Skaters

Has any heard of Randy Farris (Spelling). He skated out of Aloha Skating rink in the Stl Louis area. The last I heard he was teaching for awhile in MN and he kind of disapeared.
masterd is offline   Reply With Quote