S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM   #21
inverted

I skated in the 70's - 1980, and belonged to the Levittown Skating Club training under John Dayney and Jack Burton. There were many World Team members there: Randy Dayney, Keith King, Debbie Palm, Robin Dayney, Linda & Billy Hand, Karen Darling, Richie Veliko, Fred Morante, Kerry Cavazzi (my brother) and Jane Puracchio, Fleurette Arsenault and Dan Littel and many others. Angie Famiano and David Golub made the world team shortly after I left (David and I won Nationals in Open Free Dance in '79). Too funny to hear Linda List's name - I competed against her in Elementary Girls singles for years. It was a great time, the talent was awesome and the competition intense. We had a lot of fun, too, during all those freezing winter and boiling summer practices (no air conditioning in those days!). I knew most of the skating greats from that time as my brother was part of the world team in 76' and '77 (first both times in dance). Loved Karen Mejia and Ray Chappatta and of course, Paul and Tina were amazing to watch. Debbie Isenhour was a friend and she and Royce were great. So surprised and saddened to hear Royce died. Met Royce through April Allen who I know for years, haven't seen her in quite a while now, and I agree she was one of a kind - she was my freestyle skating idol too. Anyway it's fun to look back to those days - quite an experience!
inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM   #22
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default What is Trey Knight Doing Now?

Does anybody know what Trey Knight is doing these days? Is he still skating at one of the Northern California rinks? How can I contact him?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #23
Leroylives

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post
For anyone who was at NZ worlds in 1981, yes.. they would have gotten to see Linda Lyst and her double boeckle (however u spell it).. thank god we dont see too many of them now! they are so ugly!!!! speaking of `81 worlds...

bring out the names of the fab ones:

BILLY RICHARDSON / HOLLY VALANTE
TINA / PAUL
ELENA BONATI
MICHELE BISERNI
RICK MONTURO
TIM McGUIRE
MICHAEL BUTZKE

just a few of my faves from that year...
Billy Richardson is selling real estate in Fla. He was teaching in New Jersey for a while and moved down south a few years back. As for the rest on this list I don't know.... but do know they are NOT in the movie Jesus can't Skate.. OK I promise I'm going to stop this shameless plugging of Jayson's Movie now... Maybe
Leroylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #24
used2sk8

Hi everyone! I have lurked on this forum now and again for a while but this thread brought back so many memories from my skating days that I had to register and post a reply!

I skated in the late 70's until 85. I started skating at the Rolladium in Pontiac and April Allen taught there. I was very young then (only about 6 years old) so I don't really remember her but my brothers both skated for her.

I also grew up watching Tim Mcguire skate. He was truly amazing. I remember him doing an exhibition to "I Did It My Way" his last year at Nationals and seeing Bev cry as she watched him. I will always remember that.

I DO know a little about what Paul Price is doing. I haven't talked to him in quite a few years but he was my coach in Florida for the last few years that I skated (we moved to Florida in 81) and as far as I know, he still lives here and is married with two girls, one of them is/was very good at gymnastics and I know they were really involved in that.

Anyway, it was exciting to hear some names from my past!

Kim
used2sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #25
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inverted View Post
....Debbie Isenhour...
WOW
That is a name I had forgotten, but boy was she gorgeous! omg! She skated `82 with Kathleen DeFelice on the US team at Bremehaven worlds... OOOHH I loved her spins... amazing!!! She was so beautiful to watch and very glamorous! Thanks for mentioning her, loved her!!! Pitty we only saw her in `82 tho...
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #26
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Artistic Roller Skating World Champion Trey Knight

Quote:
Does anybody know what Trey Knight is doing these days? Is he still skating at one of the Northern California rinks? How can I contact him?
I connected last night with Trey Knight. He and Kyoko Harada were the 1995 Dance World Champions. Trey has been doing amazing things in the last few years. He is the artistic director of a dance company called "Stilt World" - the dancers perform in elaborate consumes on stilts - and he has appeared in movies, television, and on stage. To see what Trey has been up to, take a look at his resume on the StiltWorld Web site.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; January 16th, 2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #27
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroylives View Post
Billy Richardson is selling real estate in Fla. He was teaching in New Jersey for a while and moved down south a few years back. As for the rest on this list I don't know.... but do know they are NOT in the movie Jesus can't Skate.. OK I promise I'm going to stop this shameless plugging of Jayson's Movie now... Maybe
Jayson thats ok to plug Jasons movie,,,,problem is we are all waiting to see it.
tell your mom hi for me.

Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #28
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

We are all DYING to see Jayson's movie. I might even fly to another country to see it.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; January 4th, 2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #29
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

with all the jasons and jaysons, seems we're all getting confused!! hahaha
kathie, here's hoping you wont have to fly o/s to see it... fingers crossed for a US premiere! now wouldnt that be a dream come true for the sport!

lets just wait n see what happens in the next few months!!!

jaYson..

ps. love ya work 'jason' !!
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #30
monturo

Default Here I am.

So I'm Googling myself for something work-related (trying to find press clippings for a project), and something like this pops up. (Hey, Jayson, glad you're doing well.)

Where am I now? At home in Key West, Florida, where I just moved recently. I was working in advertising in Amsterdam the last two years, after 15 years doing the same in NYC, LA, Chicago, and Singapore (mostly NY). Now I'm taking a year off to write a book about pop culture in Brazil, Russia, India, and China. Just got done with a month in Brazil, and I leave for India in three weeks, China in March, Russia in May, etc.

Funny enough, doing advertising isn't all that different from skating: coming up with creative ideas, meeting people all over the world, lots of training, and not enough money. I go by Richard professionally; if you Google me you'll see some stuff about me.

Why am I not involved? No time. I travel over 150 days a year, for weeks at a time, and work has been pretty intense, but fun. Interestingly, a few years back Doug Wait and I were working at the same company. But I've mostly lost touch with everyone except from an occasional email from Jerry Waters and Kylie Murphy.

Who knows, I may be in the vicinity for next year's worlds and might try to pop in to visit. Anyway, nice to find this, and good luck to all.

Rick Monturo
monturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #31
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by monturo View Post
So I'm Googling myself for something work-related (trying to find press clippings for a project), and something like this pops up. (Hey, Jayson, glad you're doing well.)

Where am I now? At home in Key West, Florida, where I just moved recently. I was working in advertising in Amsterdam the last two years, after 15 years doing the same in NYC, LA, Chicago, and Singapore (mostly NY). Now I'm taking a year off to write a book about pop culture in Brazil, Russia, India, and China. Just got done with a month in Brazil, and I leave for India in three weeks, China in March, Russia in May, etc.

Funny enough, doing advertising isn't all that different from skating: coming up with creative ideas, meeting people all over the world, lots of training, and not enough money. I go by Richard professionally; if you Google me you'll see some stuff about me.

Why am I not involved? No time. I travel over 150 days a year, for weeks at a time, and work has been pretty intense, but fun. Interestingly, a few years back Doug Wait and I were working at the same company. But I've mostly lost touch with everyone except from an occasional email from Jerry Waters and Kylie Murphy.

Who knows, I may be in the vicinity for next year's worlds and might try to pop in to visit. Anyway, nice to find this, and good luck to all.

Rick Monturo
i dont know you personally Rick but seen you skate on tape and heard people speak of you. sounds like you have done great in life and had quite an experience. many of our skaters do so well, probably because of the drive and discipline they had all there lifes, not to mention how bright many of them are . good luck with your book and future endeavors.

Rick
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #32
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Ricky boy, hey there! no shame on you googling yourself! hahaha.. nice to hear from you! I'm glad I entered your name in my list ...

for those who do not know 'Rick Monturo'... rick skated worlds in `81-83, `85. He was of the best spinners around at the time, and wowed us with his charisma and charm on the rink... Monturo placed 3rd in 82 behind McGuire and Butzke, opening with one of the most spectacular triple toewallys ever, skating to Elton John's 'Funeral For A Friend'... amazing!!!

Rick also coached in Australia and lived on the Gold Coast for some time, working with Kirsten Murphy and David Morrison, who at the time won the bronze medal at the world games (`89 in Germany), Kirsten also got 3rd in singles that year.. (an achievement snubbed by our federation at the time, with no acknowledgement of any kind, they even presented awards to the Speed skaters who won medals at the same World games event, when we competed at the National meet some weeks later.. disgusting!)

Your book sounds very interesting... I love all the countries you mentioned, where in India? I lived there for 4months... it was rather eye opening!

Omg, im still in shock you have posted here Rick... this is great!!

Let's see who else turns up out of the blue after Googling themselves! haha

J
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #33
inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by used2sk8 View Post
Hi everyone! I have lurked on this forum now and again for a while but this thread brought back so many memories from my skating days that I had to register and post a reply!

I skated in the late 70's until 85. I started skating at the Rolladium in Pontiac and April Allen taught there. I was very young then (only about 6 years old) so I don't really remember her but my brothers both skated for her.

I also grew up watching Tim Mcguire skate. He was truly amazing. I remember him doing an exhibition to "I Did It My Way" his last year at Nationals and seeing Bev cry as she watched him. I will always remember that.

I DO know a little about what Paul Price is doing. I haven't talked to him in quite a few years but he was my coach in Florida for the last few years that I skated (we moved to Florida in 81) and as far as I know, he still lives here and is married with two girls, one of them is/was very good at gymnastics and I know they were really involved in that.

Anyway, it was exciting to hear some names from my past!

Kim
I know the Rolladium - visited there a few times when my brother and April taught there (they were engaged at the time). Talk about memory lane!
inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #34
monturo

You flatter me, Jayson. I couldn't jump for ****. Spin, yes.

I went to south India last year - Mumbai, Goa, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu - and this time I'll be in Delhi, Calcutta, and Rajasthan. I quite like it there.

Agree on Jim Bray; I wanted to be like him when I was little. Tim and I came up together - we were the same age. I was better when we were little, but he passed me way up when we hit teenage. He was a decent guy and his family was very nice, too. But my favorite of all time though was Thomas Nieder, from Germany in the 70s. Such cool style. (Jeez, all that was such a long time ago!)

I heard Worlds is on the Coast next year. It's usually November, right? I was going to go in 05 when I was still in Holland, but it was during Thanksgiving and you don't get between an American expat and turkey.

R
monturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #35
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
I connected last night with Trey Knight. He and Kyoko Harada were the 1995 Dance World Champions. Trey has been doing amazing things in the last few years. He is the artistic director of a dance comany called "Stilt World" - the dancers perform in elaborate consumes on stilts - and he has appeared in movies, television, and on stage. To see what Trey has been up to, take a look at his resume on the StiltWorld Web site.

- Kathie
Kathie,
I saw Trey in a show a few times when he was still coaching Roller skating.
I think he's in your area, I'd encourage you to go if you get a chance.
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #36
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Kathie,
I saw Trey in a show a few times when he was still coaching Roller skating.
I think he's in your area, I'd encourage you to go if you get a chance.
Bill
I remember the year Trey and Kyoko won nationals and worlds, they were very good and fun to watch. that was when nationals was sat to sat and you could see it all in one weeks vacation, the better days to be honest.

Rick
Old January 9th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #37
bobnva

It's great to hear you doing good Rick. Just wanted to tell you the routine you did to Billy Joel's Pressure was one of the best exhibitions I have seen to this day. To bad there is not the money in the sport to keep some of the creative people like yourself involved as a mode of making a living.

I know myself though, I tried teaching for about 5 years and did well, but the income available outside of skating was just to much to pass up so I left it for a period of about 15 years. Now I just became involved again and have started some judging and helping some young freestyle skaters.
bobnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #38
remsk8er

Default Memories

It sure is great to hear all the great names of the past.
I go back a bit further. Does anyone remeber names like
Natalie, April, Micheal, and Redwood City people like
Wayne Melton, Mariom Pickup, Ken Orcutt, Lorry(Chamberlin) Orcutt,
Mark, Leslie, Brenda Pollard, Rick Baca, Jim Tingle, and So many others
Its Impossible to name them all. I just wanted to stir up some old memories.
Hope it keeps people talking.
All the Best for the New Year!
Keep on Skating.
Ron
remsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #39
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsk8er View Post
Keep on Skating.
Ron
Hi Ron i heard of most of them and i would say a good percentage of them are coaching. so many skaters over the years.

Rick
Old January 9th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #40
pacificsk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsk8er View Post
Keep on Skating.
Ron
Yes, of course I remember many of those names. I thought I was in a twilight zone for a tad... I know I left the sport at young age, and then had some rather large gaps in between, but it's nice to know I'm not too out of touch. I skated in San Leandro when Mariam & Wayne, Sandy Barstad, Joey Manifesto, Liz Wallace (won skate queen), and many others skated. Mariam & Wayne were (and obviously still are...) a little bit older than me. When I skated at Redwood City, let's see there was John Nazarro, (well...he was just plain cute too!). And if it's Natalie Dunn you're referring to, then yes...I believe I skated in, or the age group just above her before I quit, but sorry to say I wasn't around to see her placing.

How 'bout Richard St. Hilaire? Here's just a few: Karen Bendit (who always beat me), & Darlene Konye, Jim Buckley & Jim Wood were awesome? And I always admired Jackie Ohanian from SoCal because she was allowed to skate to smutty stuff, and I always had to have Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music stuff! I'm sure some will reply back, and say, "Who"??? But those and many others were all some excellent skaters I looked up to in my day...when skating was "all that". It was a great time in skating, and fun to look back on traveling to Nationals, regionals in Bakersfield when everyone hung out together!.