S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old January 9th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #41
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Wow, this is so cool! How about some photos of these skaters, either now or then?

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; January 10th, 2007 at 02:21 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #42
remsk8er

Wow that was a trip! John Nazzaro was my first Coach at San Mateo.
Talking about coaches I've had a few see if this brings back memories
Skip Vargas, Donna Atkins, Steve Burns, of course Jim Pollard, Norman
Drake, Charlie O'Conner, George Figoni, Lynn O'Brien, Tommy Anderson,
Larry Lovejoy, and Irene Baker, Just to name a few. Sorry about the spelling.
Well got to go for now.
Talk to you later.
Ron
remsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #43
pacificsk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsk8er View Post
Wow that was a trip! John Nazzaro was my first Coach at San Mateo.
Talking about coaches I've had a few see if this brings back memories
Skip Vargas, Donna Atkins, Steve Burns, of course Jim Pollard, Norman
Drake, Charlie O'Conner, George Figoni, Lynn O'Brien, Tommy Anderson,
Larry Lovejoy, and Irene Baker, Just to name a few. Sorry about the spelling.
Well got to go for now.
Talk to you later.
Ron
Oh yay! Well of course I know many of them! Gosh I must clear the cobwebs in my head. I skated at Redwood with and against Donna Atkins. And of course Jim Pollard was MY very first coach, going way back to Lido Skate in Newark (Linda Cadwell/Donna Hamilton), then I went to Redwood City with Jim! And, Charlie O, & Red Shattuck (whom I used to rub his head all the time for luck, heh,heh), and of course Joe Nazarro and Betty Jennings. Yes, of course I know George Figoni. I saw him last at the closing of Valle Vista, along with Betty J. and Mike Ruiz and many others. My best buds were Randi (Howard) Simmers, Veronica Green and Paula (Obra) Spangle. San Mateo huh? Didn't the Betz' skate there? I skated pairs with Bruce Ragusa back then (mid 60's), (his sisters were Karen, Nancy), oh...and how 'bout Gene Tabor, and Pat Ryan who married them? Ok, ok, ok...who else? Wow, this is fun and brings up such nice memories and from oh so long ago! Catcha later!
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #44
remsk8er

It's been a while since I've Back to the States. So I haven't been upto date
with what has happened for the past few Years. So what has happened with the Boltons? I hope they are still involved with skating. They were always a powerhouse in dance and figures, and even Fours back in the 70s. Even though We beat them at the last Sophmore Fours held at Nationals in 74.
I have always respected good skaters and great coachs. Talking about coachs I live in Australia now and I just wanted to say Rolaboi your doing a great job in the East and keep up the good work. Back to the past, I have really enjoyed all this reminiscing.
Talk more later.
Ron M.
remsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #45
pacificsk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsk8er View Post
It's been a while since I've Back to the States. So I haven't been upto date
with what has happened for the past few Years. So what has happened with the Boltons? I hope they are still involved with skating. Ron M.
After Hammer Skate closed in Stockton this past summer, the Bolton's went to Roseville, the Pringle's and Willie Lanning and me went over to Mack Road in Sacramento. But it was just too far for me to drive after working, and limited practice due to private parties and what not, so I'm rinkless and not skating at present. Willie was just hospitalized due to a bad fall, breaking her hip and shoulder. Here's to a speedy recovery for her. Ciao everyone!
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #46
SteveandKelly Mahon

Default Royce Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
April Allen was one of my favorite skaters. She is someone i will always remember. i have seen many tapes of past world championships and all i can say is that there will never be another April Allen. No one has ever had her beauty grace and elegance that she packaged on the floor. i do think the men are far more impressive than when i skated singles during my yrs at nationals in senior men - but the women do not have the strength and ability from our generation. one a different note - Royce Miller passed away about 4 wks ago.
I accidentally happened upon this site when , out of boredom ( Jan 11th) keyworded the name of an old friend> April Allen. I am the older brother of Kelly Mahon who won the 1980 worlds in Senior mens freestyle. Our mother and father were both fairly renowned pros and rink owners ( Texas and Oklahoma area. I could throw out names of dozens of "famous" skaters from the 70s but then not many would really even care anymore. The reason I joined this forum is that I saw that you posted that Royce Miller had died recently. Royce was a VERY good friend of Kelly and I ( Kelly used to CONSTANTLY beat Royce in competition. lol ( Oh the memories ;o) ). Anyway, I am so saddened that Royce left us. I had "chosen" to kind of forget the old skating world and move on so hadn't even thought of Royce in maybe 20 years. I have a few questions for you since you seem to know at least a bit about Royce. How did he die?? He must have only been age 48 or 49. ?? I'd really like to know so I can pass the info on to Kelly. Kelly was a VERY close friend to Debbie Eisenhour as well. She and Kelly were both on the world team in 1980 > Columbia, South America 1980 World Meet.EVERYONE knew Kelly back then and I mean EVERYONE involved with much freestyle. Sad to see that the SRSTA's STUPIDITY ( TERRIBLE management < I could name names but won't) was responsible for the DEATH of artistic roller skating as a QUALITY sport. Long sad story. Ah well,
life goes on. Anyway, PLEASE try to respond and let me know some more specifics about Royce's death ....ANYTHING that you may know about it. Thanks much friend. Steve Mahon
SteveandKelly Mahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #47
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandKelly Mahon View Post
I accidentally happened upon this site when , out of boredom ( Jan 11th) keyworded the name of an old friend> April Allen. I am the older brother of Kelly Mahon who won the 1980 worlds in Senior mens freestyle. Our mother and father were both fairly renowned pros and rink owners ( Texas and Oklahoma area. I could throw out names of dozens of "famous" skaters from the 70s but then not many would really even care anymore. The reason I joined this forum is that I saw that you posted that Royce Miller had died recently. Royce was a VERY good friend of Kelly and I ( Kelly used to CONSTANTLY beat Royce in competition. lol ( Oh the memories ;o) ). Anyway, I am so saddened that Royce left us. I had "chosen" to kind of forget the old skating world and move on so hadn't even thought of Royce in maybe 20 years. I have a few questions for you since you seem to know at least a bit about Royce. How did he die?? He must have only been age 48 or 49. ?? I'd really like to know so I can pass the info on to Kelly. Kelly was a VERY close friend to Debbie Eisenhour as well. She and Kelly were both on the world team in 1980 > Columbia, South America 1980 World Meet.EVERYONE knew Kelly back then and I mean EVERYONE involved with much freestyle. Sad to see that the SRSTA's STUPIDITY ( TERRIBLE management < I could name names but won't) was responsible for the DEATH of artistic roller skating as a QUALITY sport. Long sad story. Ah well,
life goes on. Anyway, PLEASE try to respond and let me know some more specifics about Royce's death ....ANYTHING that you may know about it. Thanks much friend. Steve Mahon
welcome to the boards Steve, did you skate as your parents were coaches and rink owners. your brother did well as did your sister. sorry i cant help you on Royce's death but i am sure some can online here. your right the decline in skating is due to the people who were in charge way back in the 80s and its went downhill since. i dont see a resurgence at all to be honest.

Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #48
smiller03

From what I had been told, Royce Miller was very ill. He slipped into a coma right before Thanksgiving and never regained consciousness.
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #49
TimMcGuire

Default Looking for skaters from 80's

Hey everyone,

I have been looking for some time now for my old team mates from the 80's world teams. I've googled names with no success. Please help if you can in my search. I am happy to give out my email address and would like to get some of my old friends address' as well.

Since I've been out of skating, I got a PhD in chemistry and then decided to get my MD and then do general surgery. I practice in eastern North Carolina in a rural hospital. My wife Cheryl and my 8 yr old daughter Margaret enjoy the beautiful outdoors and the water. I like to cycle and run and fly rc airplanes...when I'm not removing gallbladders and fixing hernias.

My sister Lisa lives in Arizona with her family and is doing well. My dad still lives in Michigan. Bev (my coach) is still in Flint and doing pretty well.

I have a lot of fond memories of the "good ol' days" and miss very much the great times we had on the road at nationals and worlds.

I really would like to hear from you guys.

Regards,
Tim
TimMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #50
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Hello Tim, and welcome to our forum! Can you share the names of some of the skaters you would like to track down? I bet some of our forum visitors can help.

- Kathie
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #51
TimMcGuire

Default 80's skaters

Looking for Tina Kniesley, Paul Price, Cindy Smith, Angela Fabiano David Golub and others. Old friends of Lisa Bergen.
Tim
Old January 14th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #52
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcGuire View Post
Looking for Tina Kniesley, Paul Price, Cindy Smith, Angela Fabiano David Golub and others. Old friends of Lisa Bergen.
Tim
Hi Tim glad to see you here on the boards. Tim was the best technique skater of his time in mens singles for those that dont know him. i never meet him personally but seen tapes and heard people speak of him. hope you find everybody Tim.

Rick
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #53
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Tim
TIM.... OMG! If this is really you ... wow! Im excited as I write this.. you may or may not remember, a crazy young kid from Australia, back in 1983 writing you a fan letter.... and you responded.. wishing me well and telling me to 'practice my spins'... well - I'm that boy... all grown up and I cannot begin to thank you enough for your inspiration. I never got to meet you, although I did catch up with Bev many years later asking about you..

and Rick, can I correct you?? Tim had/has the greatest jumping technique of all time.. not in 'his time'... There has never been a jump performed like his since.. I modelled all my jumps on his and cannot thank him enough, while I could never compare, I know I chose the perfect model.

Wow, everyone - we're really in the presence of greatness...

Best regards,
Jayson Sutcliffe

For the record:
TIM McGUIRE
World Champion 1981, 82, 83.

Tim McGuire is remembered for his technical brilliance, perfecting every triple jump with exact precision and spectacular performances, combining both athleticism, grace and a masculine charm that won the world over.
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #54
TimMcGuire

Default Jayson

Jayson,
I am very flattered by your kind remarks. I was very fortunate to have a great coach in Bev Shien and train at one of the strongest freestyle clubs in the country at the time (Rollhaven Flint, MI).

I remember your letter well, in fact I was going through some old mail that I had recieved during my skating years and ran into your letter. If I had anything to do with fanning the flames of your success I am grateful indeed. However, as with all of us who have enjoyed some success in skating or any endeavor, it is hard work and discipline that ultimately is the key.

Again Jayson, thank you for your kind words and I wish you continued success. I will look in now and again at this site. If you have any e-mail addresses of some of the skaters I mentioned earlier I would appreciate it.

Best wishes,
Tim
Old January 14th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #55
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Thanks Tim, again - great advice...

It's hard to believe that its been 24years since I wrote that fan letter to you as a child and I can happily say its been worth the wait to finally meet you..

Thanks Kathie, your site is great..

Jayson
Old January 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #56
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post
TIM.... OMG! If this is really you ... wow! Im excited as I write this.. you may or may not remember, a crazy young kid from Australia, back in 1983 writing you a fan letter.... and you responded.. wishing me well and telling me to 'practice my spins'... well - I'm that boy... all grown up and I cannot begin to thank you enough for your inspiration. I never got to meet you, although I did catch up with Bev many years later asking about you..

and Rick, can I correct you?? Tim had/has the greatest jumping technique of all time.. not in 'his time'... There has never been a jump performed like his since.. I modelled all my jumps on his and cannot thank him enough, while I could never compare, I know I chose the perfect model.

Wow, everyone - we're really in the presence of greatness...

Best regards,
Jayson Sutcliffe

For the record:
TIM McGUIRE
World Champion 1981, 82, 83.

Tim McGuire is remembered for his technical brilliance, perfecting every triple jump with exact precision and spectacular performances, combining both athleticism, grace and a masculine charm that won the world over.
Ok Jayson i stand corrected, its just so hard to compare today and yesterdays skaters and i dont like to do that. some say Scott Cohen was the best skater of all time. others say the Lucas, Dalisera and Lallai took over. i dont know for sure and unfortuneately i never seen enough of Tim, but i have seen a couple of routines of his. he was very young, and retired, if he didnt who knows what we would have seen.

sounds like you chose a good model and a smart choice at that. i was wondering if it was the same Tim McGuire also and as you can see by his reply it is. he is gracious giving his coach Bev the credit. as many skaters its good to see he has done well in life after skating.

Rick
Old January 14th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #57
rwsz

Quote:
Tim
Tim is Angela Fabiano from the new york area, if so she is a coach in the norhteast in new york now. let me know and i will see if i can get you a phone number or email for you.

Rick
Old January 14th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #58
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Tim McGuire was inducted into the U.S. Amateur Athletes Roller Skating Hall Of Fame in 1988. Tim, we would love to see some photos of your skating career! Actually, we would love to see pictures of all of the skaters mentioned in this thread. Skaters can post photos in this forum, email them to me at kathiefry@skatelog.com, or send pictures via postal service to Kathie Fry, PO Box 12320, Venice Beach, California 90295. I will post the photos on the Web and mail them back to you.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; January 14th, 2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old January 14th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #59
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

In 1976 Natalie Dunn became the first United States woman in history to receive a gold medal at the Artistic Roller Skating World Championships. Natalie was very famous in her time. She was invited to appear on television talk shows and there was even a book written about her: "Natalie Dunn, World Roller Figure Skating Champion" by Gloria D. Miklowitz (1979). in 1985 she was inducted into the U.S. Amateur Athletes Roller Skating Hall Of Fame. Today Natalie Dunn Fries coaches young skaters and she operates her family-owned SkateLand Roller Rink in Bakersfield California. Here are some photos of Natalie after winning her first world gold medal, Natalie today, and Natalie as a child.

Natalie in 1976:
- Natalie Wearing Her First World Gold Medal

Natalie Today:
- Natalie Dunn Fries With Her Father Omar in 2005
- Natalie Dunn Fries With Sara Locandro in 2005

Natalie Growing Up:
- Natalie Holding an Award in 1962
- Natalie in Black and White
- Natalie in a Red Dress
- Natalie Outdoors

Natalie's World Championship Gold Medals:
1976 - Women's Combined (Rome, Italy)
1977 - Women's Combined (Montreal, Canada)
1978 - Women's Combined (Lisbon, Portugal)
1981 - Women's Free Skating (Nelson, New Zealand)

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; January 15th, 2007 at 04:07 AM.
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #60
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
Tim is Angela Fabiano from the new york area, if so she is a coach in the norhteast in new york now. let me know and i will see if i can get you a phone number or email for you.

Rick
Ok, someone correct me here or not.. but is it FABIANO or FAMIANO..
When I saw Tim's reply, I was like... oh boy, for 20yrs I thought it was Famiano!! Her partner David Golub taught at the rink I skated at in Melbourne for two or three years.. He was a great guy and produced some great dance teams here back in 84-86..

actually I just solved my own problem.. ( i found this on the net )

image appears on the Harlick.com site..
they have a great historical collection .. wonderful shots.