S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum > Inline Artistic
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inline Artistic Discussions about artistic skating on inline figure skates.

Old December 20th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #1
Lisa_D

Default Snow White Frame Mounting

Hi. My Snow Whites came the other day and I've put them together, but just need to mount them to my boot.

To be on the safe side, I might get someone to do the mounting for me.

In Australia (Melbourne) can you recommend who is best to do this for me. I was going to go to the place that does ice blades etc... but I'm just wondering if it's better to go to a location that already mounts artistic inline blades.

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

Lisa.
Lisa_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:52 AM   #2
CHC

Hi Lisa, I had the same dilemma when I got my skates. I'm sure the guys at Carribean Rollerama would do a decent job, wouldn't go to the other rollerskating rinks (only because there are so few artistic skaters I can't imagine they would be experienced).

There is a skate shop in Glenferrie Hawthorn, Bladeworx, which will also do mounting. They are experienced in mounting ice blades. Ask Mikey to do it.

I know there are instructions on the internet, but personally, if you're not experienced, it's harder than it looks (manual screwing isn't enough!). Fortunately my boyfriend's close friend is a carpenter and very handy with a power drill (which you will need) and also has top line equipment. I went with him and knew he would do a good job (which he did).

Whatever you chose, please consider that you'll probably have to plug up some of your ice blade holes on your boots.

Good luck!

(By the way, I sent an email in reply to your 2 emails to me. Hope your hubby didn't trash it, thinking it was spam!)
CHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:35 AM   #3
Lisa_D

Hi there! I'm so sorry about the emails. I do remember getting one from you and replied, but my husband just changed over our email application without importing from the old one??? Could be the problem?

Thanks for your recommendation on the mounting. Actually I've been in to bladeworx before (to get my ice-skates and blades mounted) so I will most definitely go back. Is Mikey the guy who is always on his blades skating around?

Looks like I've got a trip over there happening tomorrow!

How's the skating going? I'll be starting properly soon. I'm also fortunate to have a big house and can actually practice some spins in one room!

Talk soon again, have fun skating and hopefully you get some time off for Christmas/NY.

Lisa
Old December 21st, 2006, 01:24 PM   #4
Dicko

Lisa,

With xmas holidays coming up you may be pushing to get it done, if you can't, and your keen to try them out then have a go yourself, it's not overly hard. If you have a leather/wood heel then pre drill it a bit first. A composite heel will be fine to screw straight in to.

You may also want to just put 2 screws in the front & 2 in the heel and skate around a bit on them first in case you need to adjust them. (That will suffice for general skating, but don't go jumping till you put the rest in )

It's suprising, even a couple of millimetres either way is a significant adjustment if your having trouble with either edges.

Send me a pm with your email, I have another mounting guide but it's in m/s publisher.

Have fun.
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:14 PM   #5
CHC

Hi Lisa,

Mikey is the son of Bill, the owner, at Bladeworx. I think most of the salesboys (cause the girls don't) seem to always be on skates! He is a top inline and ice hockey player, taught me the basics and crossovers.

You probably won't get a chance to read this beforehand, but may see you at Campbellfield tonight? Free skating - yay!! Maybe I'll get to see you on your Snow Whites!

Happy skating!
CHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:36 AM   #6
Lisa_D

You guys are both right. I called Bill and they are flat out so I probably won't get them done until after Christmas You know, I was just looking at the skates and thought to myself "I can do this!!!" and I want to do it so badly!!!! But because Dicko mentions the edges being so sensitive, I need to be careful.

The boots have small divets as a guide for mounting. The snow white holes are different to the boot, but that's fine. I don't have an electric drill and I think if I get started I'll have 2 spectators (aka my little girls) interfering! Plus, my finger joints are sore at the moment (I just found out I have coeliac disease and gluten has been causing havoc with my body) so I'll leave it until everything settles down. I'll have to get someone to do it for me.

I think we will see you at the free skate tonight at campbellfield. I'll be the one with the tall, dark husband and 2 girls Do you think they'll be able to do my skates there? So are you going to be wearing your snow whites???? It'll be good to see them in action. I'll probably have to hire quads!

See you later then maybe.
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #7
Lisa_D

Default Mounting Snow White Frames Is EASY!

I am over the moon!

I just couldn't wait any longer, and we put the frames on ourselves using my husbands electric drill.

What I did was to put a screw in the heel first, and then line up the wheels with my centre (first I had to remove the toe-stop to get a direct line to mark) and then that was it... Easy!

Then........ I skated for the first time on them and (dare I say it....) they're BETTER THAN ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a reasonably small space to skate but I did a spin and a jump! If that's an indication of how things will go, then I'm very excited! And I'm breaking in new boots!!!!!

(CHC I didn't see you the other night, but we didn't stay long... it was too hot in there).

PS... the snow white frames are great... it's so nice not having the longer back wheel (of regular inlines) out the back getting in the way of crossovers! I can do stops just like on ice!
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #8
Arthur Lee

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_D View Post
I am over the moon!

I just couldn't wait any longer, and we put the frames on ourselves using my husbands electric drill.

What I did was to put a screw in the heel first, and then line up the wheels with my centre (first I had to remove the toe-stop to get a direct line to mark) and then that was it... Easy!

Then........ I skated for the first time on them and (dare I say it....) they're BETTER THAN ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a reasonably small space to skate but I did a spin and a jump! If that's an indication of how things will go, then I'm very excited! And I'm breaking in new boots!!!!!

(CHC I didn't see you the other night, but we didn't stay long... it was too hot in there).

PS... the snow white frames are great... it's so nice not having the longer back wheel (of regular inlines) out the back getting in the way of crossovers! I can do stops just like on ice!
Hi Lisa,

Sort of worry about your Snow White frame mounting/alignment, but it seems everything is OK now. I'm glad to hear you had great time riding on it.

Take care and enjoy your skating!

Arthur
Arthur Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:46 AM   #9
Lisa_D

Default Hi Arthur!

Hello Arthur!!!!

Yes me too. Many skate shops are closed over the Christmas/New Year Period, so I was going to wait... but I couldn't!!!! Your Snow Whites are so lovely I couldn't wait to try them.

I was going to email you today, and you've beaten me to it! I was worried about you, because I heard about the earthquake in Taiwan. I hope everything's ok.

Back to the frames; the alignment is easy actually. If you take the stopper off, it is easy to match the line of the wheels, with the centre line that also runs through the frame (visible through where the toe-stop screws in). For me, I just need to align with the front seam of my boot. Others could align slightly to the left or right (I say slightly because it really makes a difference to your edges) depending on their pronation etc...

They feel amazing, and my girls were very shocked to see me do a spin! My youngest told me I am amazing. Ah, I feel like a champion again! They call me Snow White, and they want to be my little dwarves (cute!).

I will give you more feedback as I get back into practice!

Lisa.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:16 AM   #10
Lisa_D

Hi!

Arthur how is everything?

Actually I have another question about the snow white's. You know how some ice skaters have gold-tone blades for their boots, would it ever be possible to have snow white frames made in gold-tone rather than the silver-tone??????

I hope you had a nice New Year.

We'll talk soon I hope.

Warm regards,
Lisa.
Old January 6th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #11
Arthur Lee

Hi Lisa,

Everything is good!

Yes the golden-plated Snow White will be a cool idea! I still recall the first pair of ice blade, as of my birthday gift from my dad was an MK gold blade when I was a kid.

From the production point of view, it is not a problem at all to make Snow White shiny and glossy, it's just a matter of cost vs production volume. Lesser volume makes the cost higher and that's the only concern I need to deal with!

So how's your Snow White skating going? Do let us know of it, tks!

Arthur
Arthur Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #12
Lisa_D

Smile

Hi Arthur!

Ooooh you were so lucky. I always dreamed of the gold blades!

I love the current snow whites, and day by day they just keep getting better (or it could just be that I'm getting used to them and my boots are 'breaking in').

I re-read my post, and I realise I should've made myself clearer. Sorry. I was talking of some gold snow whites as a custom order. I understand that would cost a little more.

I'll be starting regular skating at a rink soon, once our school holidays are finished here.

I'm glad to hear you're ok!

Talk soon.

Lisa.

PS. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures soon! I'll update you of my progress soon.