S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old October 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Skaten Worshiper

Default Plate Mounting

So first off I know I should let someone else do this but I just cant afford it and don’t trust anyone in my area to do it...so I am going to attempt it myself.

I recently got some invaders that I want to mount to my 265's (this is just temporary until I can afford an entirely new set-up) they currently have the dynapro torq's and I can not stand that plate any longer. I am fairly confident in my ability to get it done properly but wanted to get any suggestions/tips/warnings that might make the process go a little smoother

Thanks!!
Skaten Worshiper RRG #666
Skaten Worshiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Stitches
I<3 Skating!

I'm sure you've seen these articles:

http://www.quadskating.com/skates/centering-plates.htm
http://www.quadskating.com/skates/mounting-plates.htm

Drill straight measure, measure, measure! Good Luck!
Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

the first pair of plates I ever mounted, I had no clue. so I set up the plates and wheel---then put on my boot, and stood on the plate, and positioned the wheels where I wanted them. then I marked the plate placement on the boots, and mounted them. they came out just fine for me. but I didn't know any better, so did what felt natural. works for me.
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaten Worshiper View Post
So first off I know I should let someone else do this but I just cant afford it and don’t trust anyone in my area to do it...so I am going to attempt it myself.

I recently got some invaders that I want to mount to my 265's (this is just temporary until I can afford an entirely new set-up) they currently have the dynapro torq's and I can not stand that plate any longer. I am fairly confident in my ability to get it done properly but wanted to get any suggestions/tips/warnings that might make the process go a little smoother

Thanks!!
And a great resource to ask for specific question, would be our own DocSK8 in his "ask Doc" Forum.
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #5
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

If there is one thing I Have learned with mounting..

Its pretty hard to mount them in such a way that they are unskateable..

There appears to be quite a range of positions..that you can go.. and short of mounting them sideways...I think youd be surprised how well they will work for you.

AND.. if you **** up. Just JB quick the holes... and redo it... you harm. no fowl... *cluck cluck*

8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #6
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
If there is one thing I Have learned with mounting..

Its pretty hard to mount them in such a way that they are unskateable..

There appears to be quite a range of positions..that you can go.. and short of mounting them sideways...I think youd be surprised how well they will work for you.

AND.. if you **** up. Just JB quick the holes... and redo it... you harm. no fowl... *cluck cluck*

Another thing...it's a LOT easier to mount plates on boots that have already had 'em than on a brand-new pair. One of the trickiest things for a first-timer to get right is finding the centerline of a boot, and having the old mounting holes as guidelines makes that a cinch. Find and mark the midpoint between each set of holes, get a ruler, draw a line that connects them all, and you really can't go wrong. Well, unless your plates were mounted improperly to begin with, but if they were, you'd probably know by now.
Old October 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #7
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayglodivine View Post
Another thing...it's a LOT easier to mount plates on boots that have already had 'em than on a brand-new pair. One of the trickiest things for a first-timer to get right is finding the centerline of a boot, and having the old mounting holes as guidelines makes that a cinch. Find and mark the midpoint between each set of holes, get a ruler, draw a line that connects them all, and you really can't go wrong. Well, unless your plates were mounted improperly to begin with, but if they were, you'd probably know by now.
There lies the problem...most plates WERE improperly mounted (at least by my standards). If they were initially mounted flush with the back of the boot, and you are not doing the same, any premarked centerline will be off.
Old October 19th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #8
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
There lies the problem...most plates WERE improperly mounted (at least by my standards). If they were initially mounted flush with the back of the boot, and you are not doing the same, any premarked centerline will be off.
I'm a little confused. How would heel-to-toe placement of a plate affect left-to-right centering?
Old October 19th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #9
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

Yea.. Id preach the wonders of the Snyder Center Line Tool....

but there are MANY that do not trust where it says the center line is.

There are other ways to determine the centerline.. though they have been explained to me...I dont feel qualified to explain it...

anyone else?
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #10
ogfarmskater

From wherever the axles sit it should be a equal amount of distance from the plate to the edges of the sole of the boot...
Old October 19th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #11
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayglodivine View Post
I'm a little confused. How would heel-to-toe placement of a plate affect left-to-right centering?
see ogfarms post above. The plate should be centered where the front axles are. So the size of the plate and the amount of forward mounting will affect the centerline at that point.
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #12
Skaten Worshiper

Thanks for all the helpful advice! I am going to do it this weekend after I clear off the work bench in the garage....I really like that boot holder you made OG I think thats a great idea! Wish me luck and I will be back if I have any problems!!
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:38 PM   #13
Skaten Worshiper

I finally have enough space to work in my garage and I made a set up like OG's to hold the boot...I am FINALLY going to mount these suckers tomorrow.. I will post pics when I am done and you can all tell me what I did wrong! lol

I am SO excited to get rid of these awful Powerdyne Nylon plates!
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM   #14
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
I finally have enough space to work in my garage and I made a set up like OG's to hold the boot...I am FINALLY going to mount these suckers tomorrow.. I will post pics when I am done and you can all tell me what I did wrong! lol

I am SO excited to get rid of these awful Powerdyne Nylon plates!
The Invaders are a huge step up from those... I think you will like them a bunch. Good luck with the mounting... be sure to post pics when you have them!
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM   #15
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Eddie Fresh View Post
The Invaders are a huge step up from those... I think you will like them a bunch. Good luck with the mounting... be sure to post pics when you have them!
Agreed, and I'm not just saying that as an ANCRE-holic. Anything is better than those gawdawful nylon Powerdynes.
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM   #16
Skaten Worshiper

at this point I think anyting that isnt plastic or nylon will be better! Im not at all worried about the ancreness of the invaders I think having the added weight will actually help me! Im super stoked!!!! ...oh and cutting that damn elastic out has helped massivly! No more cramping and no more numbness! yay!
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #17
Skaten Worshiper

I need help! I need to find a hole filler that will dry solid so I can drill through it…. the new holes I need to drill overlap the old holes. Everything I have looked at doesn’t dry completely solid…anyone have any suggestions?

Old November 24th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #18
Jentien

Epoxy Resin?
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #19
Jentien

The soles on those are leather......right? You could also try taking them to a local shoe reapir shop, they may be able to repair the holes.
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #20
wired

Quote:
I need help! I need to find a hole filler that will dry solid so I can drill through it…. the new holes I need to drill overlap the old holes. Everything I have looked at doesn’t dry completely solid…anyone have any suggestions?
JB Weld works fine if you make a thin a rod out of it that will go all the way through the hole then force as much in with your thumbs as possible. If you can get a solid fill it is stronger than the boot sole.

Various 2 part epoxies work well. Tape the inside sole side of the holes. Get something that will hold the boot upside down and level then pour the holes full of mixed epoxy. Use a tooth pick or small wire to make sure there are no bubbles.

I suppose you could do the same thing with Shoe Goo but the drying time is over 24 hours.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote