S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Old January 10th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #1
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

Angry how do i keep myself from falling off even the smallest grind bars?

i usedcandle wax and thats really good, but the only problem is that i keep falling every time i try to grind , either falling back or falling forward , and even doing the splits
michaelDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #2
inlina
ABEC42

OK Michael, from the gazillion or so posts you've made, you seem to be having trouble with your frontside amongst other grinds. Let's try and get this sorted once an for all. So let go through it:

1) Have you got a picture or three of what you are trying to grind?
2) Can you jump on a front side stall nice and solidly and stay up there for 5 seconds or so without much wobbling?
3) Do you have any pictures or videos of you trying to do it?
4) Can you clarify which way you are falling/slipping, because you say you are falling forwards/backwards, but it sould like this is relative to direction of travel, and I work relative to your hips/shoulders. In the case of frontside, your hips/shoulder are generally parrallel to the rail/ledge. Considering this frame of reference, are you falling to YOUR right/left or forwards/backwards?

Let's get this answered and then we can move on to fixing the problem.

CG
inlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #3
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

ok, umm , as soon as i find out how to put pics up , would u be able to help me with that?
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #4
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

ok, well this is how i no how to say it best- this is the bar --------
my feet are moving towards it like this |_||_|

then , 1 foot spazzes out and my left foot moves to far left , then my right follows it , vice versa
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #5
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

then i fall out on my face, and if i try to control it , i keep spazzing out, my feet move left and right , hard to control
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #6
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

this is basicly wat im doing all the time , but thats not me , and does it matter how lo the rail is to the ground?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ1K6...elated&search=
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #7
inlina
ABEC42

OK, micheal, dude, FOCUS. When I make one post, you respond in the thread to that post with *one post only*. That way we can keep this on track and get it sorted. I need to to answer each of the original Q's I had in order. Type '1)' and then the answer to question 1, be it a written response, link to a picture, whatever. Then do the same thing for 2, 3 and 4. Just to recap, here are the questions again.

1) Have you got a picture or three of what you are trying to grind?
2) Can you jump on a front side stall nice and solidly and stay up there for 5 seconds or so without much wobbling?
3) Do you have any pictures or videos of you trying to do it?
4) Can you clarify which way you are falling/slipping, because you say you are falling forwards/backwards, but it sould like this is relative to direction of travel, and I work relative to your hips/shoulders. In the case of frontside, your hips/shoulder are generally parrallel to the rail/ledge. Considering this frame of reference, are you falling to YOUR right/left or forwards/backwards?

PLEASE ANSWER THOSE CONCISELY so I/we can help you.

If you need somewhere to host pictures, try Imageshack. It can even spit out nice simple tags for forums. There is even a whole thread in the 'About these Forums' for skatelog that tells you where else you can get free picture hosting.

The video you linked to really didn't help. There were 4 different problems over the 4 grinds shown. I don't really think you can say you have the same problem as those dudes, because you haven't seen yourself grind. The only way we will really know is to have a video of you. If you do have a digital camera that can take a video, it would be great. Analysing your problem would be much simpler with video of you. Edit footage down with Microsoft Movie Maker and uplod it to You Tube, Putfile or similar.

CG
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #8
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

Unhappy

1/
http://www.wh1shop.de/wh1shop/images...icane_rail.jpg

2/ i try to do the frontside stall , i do it , but my grind rail tips , wobbles, and then i try it on solid stuff , and i wobble , i can stay for 5 seconds but only just!

3/ i dont have any pictures of me trying to do it or anything , but i am going to get some soon

4/ I move towards the bar----) | and as i get up my feet slide about 2cm then either my left foot slides the opposite direction to which way i want to go , then it pulls my other leg with it making me slide the opposite way, causingme to slip and fall flat on my face!
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #9
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

every time i attempt it , it turns out fatal , just last time i did it i bruised my A$$ hard
. the grind rail broke so i just made another 1 similar but not that great
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #10
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

Old January 10th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #11
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelDJ View Post
1/
http://www.wh1shop.de/wh1shop/images...icane_rail.jpg

2/ i try to do the frontside stall , i do it , but my grind rail tips , wobbles, and then i try it on solid stuff , and i wobble , i can stay for 5 seconds but only just!

3/ i dont have any pictures of me trying to do it or anything , but i am going to get some soon

4/ I move towards the bar----) | and as i get up my feet slide about 2cm then either my left foot slides the opposite direction to which way i want to go , then it pulls my other leg with it making me slide the opposite way, causingme to slip and fall flat on my face!
1) I need to see the environment in which you are set up in. Are you in the middle of a street, on the sidewalk, in a car park etc??????? Do you have a digital camera?

2) I your rail tips, I suggest you find something else to grind, because you are not going to learn on a dodgy rail. Do you have a skate park close by? If when you do it on something solid, you are wobbly, arms flying all over the place to try and maintain balance, then you need to keep practicing the stall. You can't grind until you have the stall down.

3) Do something about pics/vids. The sooner you get something down, the sooner we can help.

4) Is this the case when you are trying to stall or grind? (Again, video is really going to help here).

CG
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #12
irishboy

maybe you should try grinding a ledge or curb instead of the rail. like inlina said, its going to be tough to learn on a wobbly rail. and its much easier to frontside grind on a curb than a rail (in my opinion). maybe you should give grinding a curb a shot..or stalling one at least
irishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #13
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

can u do frontside grinds anywhere?
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #14
irishboy

basically

anywhere you wont get wheelbite at least
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #15
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

Wink

ok well , im going to practice more on my stalls , then ill be back with pics and stufs
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #16
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

hey umm... wats wheel bite
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #17
irishboy

when your wheels get caught on what your trying to grind. usually happens when your skating a flat setup
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #18
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

okidoki
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #19
michaelDJ
ultra ultra old member

should i use wax when i try stalls,
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #20
septor
Greatness

no, the whole purpose of a stall is not to slide. try practicing this on a concrete step or something, just go up to it and perfect the positioning of your front side.
septor is offline   Reply With Quote