S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #1
hikkergurl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Oswego,OR
Posts: 234
Default Roller Rink Rules Unleashed! PET PEEVE

Hey Gang,

I just need to vent.

Back in the days when I first learned how to skate, there were rules and guidelines that we were required to adhere to. If we didn't, we were pulled off the skate floor for a time-out.

What I have abserved at the rink I go to in Vegas, is that kid's are skating in all directions at any given time, and though the rink does have skate guards, they do nothing to enforce any of the rules. Most of them (guards) don't even put their skates on and just walk around. In the meantime, these kids are speeding and cutting people off left and right, OR they are going in any random direction, regardless of what direction the all skate is at the time.

On Sunday night Dan and I went skating and the scene I descibed was in full force. Toward the end of the night a girl around 10 or so, whom I'd seen earlier on the floor talking on her cell phone, decided to go the reverse direction and I didn't have time to avoid her. Needless to say we knocked each other down. No one was hurt, but for the first time in my life, I didn't ask her if she was o.k. I usually stop and help people all the time, but this time I was so irritated because it never should have happened. Do parents not teach their kids to follow the rules to avoid getting injued or perhaps injuring someone else because of their negligence? Where is the rink management in enforcing the rules? All of us on this forum know that skating can be dangerous and serious injury can occure. This is the reason MOST rinks have rules to avoid such things.

Another thing that happened on the same night is this gal comes up to me and in a demading tone, informs me I need to teach her to turn around and skate backward (she could barely manage forward)
I told her I wasn't a good teacher (true) and moved on. If she had asked instead of telling me, I may have tried to help her, but I couldn't get passed her rudeness. Or at least what I'd percieved to be rude.

That's it. Thanks for "listening".
Liz
__________________
Live Life Eclectic
hikkergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #2
speedysktr
President of Everything
 
speedysktr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,026
Default

I feel ya, girl. That's why I'm teaching my children to skate. So they can be my blockers, but only for people that are breaking the rules. There'll be a reward system. Cutting straight across the floor, 1 point, skating the wrong way (upstream) 5 points. Here's the kicker, if she sees a posse of kids starting to skate upstream, each one she takes out in succession is EXPONENTIAL POINTS!!! It's tricky though, the rink owner's kids are there and they have a couple little friends too, so there's also exponential point DEDUCTS!!! Fact is those kids never do the stupid stuff.

Seriously, you'd think parents would pay attention to what's happening. It seems so much like blatantly obvious common sense. As usual, there are those that show up and turn off whatever weakass parenting skills they had to begin with. I tell folks all the time whether it's the bike trail or the rink: skating is like driving, follow the common sense rules of the road or you're going to crash into another participant.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #3
Gypsyjuggler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 100
Default

I need to add a comment in here from a different angle.... I work as a floor guard.

No complaint against hikergurl (I live nowhere near you). If the guards are not doing thier job, COMPLAIN!!! make it known they are not doing their job.

My aggravation is when I stop a kid for doing something dangerous, aggresive and stupid, when I tell them what they are doing wrong, they look at me like they can't understand what I'm saying, or they just stare off into space ignoring me. The real fun ones are the parents who get angry with me because I'm scolding their "Little angel", who is actually a 17 year old punk whos idea of entertainment is cutting off the slower skaters and knocking them down because he knows these smaller kids are not going to fight back.

When you try to explain the rules to them, and use the phrase "Common sense", they get angry and want to know "Are you saying I don't have any common sense??"
Gypsyjuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #4
skaterdog
Senior Member
 
skaterdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,402
Default

Same thing happens at my rink. The difference between 10 years ago when I was a regular session skater with my daughter and now is like night and day.

Back in the good old days we had a floor guard who was on top of things. He skated around with a whistle around his neck and was the DJ too. You go too fast, the wrong way etc...you get the whistle. Heck...I got the whistle a few times myself.


Every now and then he would get steamed about something and start yelling into the microphone in the DJ booth....YOU IN THE RED SHIRT...NO BACKWARDS SKATING ...DO IT ONE MORE TIME AND YOU'RE OFF THE FLOOR..
and the place was packed with people.

Now, when I go to a session there are way fewer people but no supervision at all. Even though there are fewer kids they go the wrong way, play tag and are generally obnoxious. I complain to no avail. Rink manager doesn't care.
__________________
Brakeless Bozo
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #5
Jessica
Queen of the Mile
 
Jessica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2,103
Default

I'm sorry to hear about the fiasco at your rink hikkergurl - that would drive me crazy. It's the opposite at the rink I go to - guards and even the dj are on top of everyone. I'm kind of embarrassed to say that even I have been warned for going a little too fast during session skates. I would rather have it that way to keep it safe for everyone.
__________________
Eternally Hungry Skinsuited Weenie
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #6
unicycle1234
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 413
Default

The other day I took my daughter and her friends to the local ice rink for her B-day party, a few girls who were probably skaters of the figure skating club were doing stuff that they shouldn't be doing when it was very crowded. A few times I saw little kids got cut off and fell (as I was watching my younger son who can barely skate). No-one were there to stop them and later on one of the girl run into me from 8 o'clock going backwards and needless to say it wasn't pretty. I just couldn't bring myself to pick her up and ask if she was ok. Then she become much more careful after that:-)
unicycle1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #7
Bill
Junior Member
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 2,573
Default

Hi Liz,

It sounds like finding a good session to skate in Vegas is a gamble ... DOH!

There are sessions, and rinks I avoid for that reason. The main reason rinks have lots of rules is to keep the kids in control. A well run rink will keep the kids on a short leash. I think the parents that drop off the kids expect that.

I skate at 3 different rinks and they are all different. If you have a complaint, most will listen if you talk to the right person. I've tried yelling at the offending children, that doesn't work, but I feel better

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #8
KeLLy
Senior Member
 
KeLLy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belgium, Bruges
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post

Every now and then he would get steamed about something and start yelling into the microphone in the DJ booth....YOU IN THE RED SHIRT...NO BACKWARDS SKATING ...DO IT ONE MORE TIME AND YOU'RE OFF THE FLOOR..
and the place was packed with people.
No backwards scating? And going to fast?
What's the fun in just skating 'slow' circles?

Ofc. people should be carefull no to cut off others or get in the way of skaters, but no skating backwards?

I used to go on saturdaymornings, so we had a lot of space to try things out. (talking bout ice skating tho, but same principals, rollerskating isn't very popular round here).
and I have never heard of guards in ice rinks in belgium. Good idea tho.
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #9
hikkergurl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Oswego,OR
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
I feel ya, girl. That's why I'm teaching my children to skate. So they can be my blockers, but only for people that are breaking the rules. There'll be a reward system. Cutting straight across the floor, 1 point, skating the wrong way (upstream) 5 points. Here's the kicker, if she sees a posse of kids starting to skate upstream, each one she takes out in succession is EXPONENTIAL POINTS!!! It's tricky though, the rink owner's kids are there and they have a couple little friends too, so there's also exponential point DEDUCTS!!! Fact is those kids never do the stupid stuff.

Seriously, you'd think parents would pay attention to what's happening. It seems so much like blatantly obvious common sense. As usual, there are those that show up and turn off whatever weakass parenting skills they had to begin with. I tell folks all the time whether it's the bike trail or the rink: skating is like driving, follow the common sense rules of the road or you're going to crash into another participant.
Too funny!
Maybe I could teach Dan to do the same thing and give him points........I'm think management would have a problem with my husband knocking little kids down
__________________
Live Life Eclectic
hikkergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #10
hikkergurl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Oswego,OR
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyjuggler View Post
I need to add a comment in here from a different angle.... I work as a floor guard.

No complaint against hikergurl (I live nowhere near you). If the guards are not doing thier job, COMPLAIN!!! make it known they are not doing their job.

My aggravation is when I stop a kid for doing something dangerous, aggresive and stupid, when I tell them what they are doing wrong, they look at me like they can't understand what I'm saying, or they just stare off into space ignoring me. The real fun ones are the parents who get angry with me because I'm scolding their "Little angel", who is actually a 17 year old punk whos idea of entertainment is cutting off the slower skaters and knocking them down because he knows these smaller kids are not going to fight back.

When you try to explain the rules to them, and use the phrase "Common sense", they get angry and want to know "Are you saying I don't have any common sense??"
I too, was a guard when I was a teenager, so I do understand your point of view, however, I do think that the behavior of kid's today is worse than when I was growing up.
Liz
__________________
Live Life Eclectic
hikkergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #11
fablemaker2
Pathological skater
 
fablemaker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: LOCATION INDEED, SIR!
Posts: 1,598
Default

Quote:
As usual, there are those that show up and turn off whatever weakass parenting skills they had to begin with.
...assuming the parents are even there, eh.

Really, now. Kids are worse today than when we were growing up? No, we are just more sensitive to it now. I remember when I was 10, skating circles with the rest of the cattle, and getting knocked down and such by bullies...this was in the suburbs where Beaver wannabes lived.

When I choose to rink skate now, the cattle is pretty domesticated, and there is no rink guard. Is it just luck?

Every skater should try a skatepark on a Saturday afternoon in the summer. About 10 trips should make the worst rink session a relaxing experience. I have lightning-fast reflexes, because I get cut off by bikes on a constant basis.
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #12
hikkergurl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Oswego,OR
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablemaker2 View Post
...assuming the parents are even there, eh.

Really, now. Kids are worse today than when we were growing up? No, we are just more sensitive to it now. I remember when I was 10, skating circles with the rest of the cattle, and getting knocked down and such by bullies...this was in the suburbs where Beaver wannabes lived.

When I choose to rink skate now, the cattle is pretty domesticated, and there is no rink guard. Is it just luck?

Every skater should try a skatepark on a Saturday afternoon in the summer. About 10 trips should make the worst rink session a relaxing experience. I have lightning-fast reflexes, because I get cut off by bikes on a constant basis.
Good point.....
__________________
Live Life Eclectic
hikkergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #13
Gypsyjuggler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 100
Default

When I was growing up, I don't remember the roller rink having to have police on duty in the rink for Friday and Saturday night sessions. These days, its a must to have 2 of them on duty.

We have had problems with teens trying to fight during the session on the rink, and after the session in the parking lot. The management took steps to correct this by changing the music format slightly. They cut out some of the Rap music from the format. It did make a big difference in the behavior of the skaters.

And another point, When I was a teen, They never had a problem with misplaced kids. Parents would drive up to the rink, sometimes an hour or more before the building opened, drop off the kids and leave. And these kids are usually the ones waiting ourside the rink for over an hour for the parents to pick them up afterwards.

We had to put out flyers telling parents that if they did not pick up their child within a 1/2 hour after the end of the session, the kids would be taken down to the police station and you would have to pick them up there. The city does have a curfew, which is one of the reasons the rink changed their times over the years.

Last edited by Gypsyjuggler; January 20th, 2007 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typos
Gypsyjuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #14
KeLLy
Senior Member
 
KeLLy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Belgium, Bruges
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablemaker2 View Post
...assuming the parents are even there, eh.

Really, now. Kids are worse today than when we were growing up? No, we are just more sensitive to it now. I remember when I was 10, skating circles with the rest of the cattle, and getting knocked down and such by bullies...this was in the suburbs where Beaver wannabes lived.

When I choose to rink skate now, the cattle is pretty domesticated, and there is no rink guard. Is it just luck?

Every skater should try a skatepark on a Saturday afternoon in the summer. About 10 trips should make the worst rink session a relaxing experience. I have lightning-fast reflexes, because I get cut off by bikes on a constant basis.
+1
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #15
skaterdog
Senior Member
 
skaterdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,402
Default

We used to have a very busy Saturday night session skate until there was a shooting last year in the parking lot and now the Saturday night session doesn't exist. This may not be a trend across the country but in this area it is. Even 10 years ago there was a whole different atmosphere at the rink.

If they are shutting down on the busiest night of the week for this...that's saying something.
__________________
Brakeless Bozo
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #16
hikkergurl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Oswego,OR
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
We used to have a very busy Saturday night session skate until there was a shooting last year in the parking lot and now the Saturday night session doesn't exist. This may not be a trend across the country but in this area it is. Even 10 years ago there was a whole different atmosphere at the rink.

If they are shutting down on the busiest night of the week for this...that's saying something.
Ya know Dog,
I went to the rink I used to go to when I was a kid, and the guy who run's it said that the "other" rink in town has to have police there every session because of the violence. I'm suprised it's still open.
Liz
__________________
Live Life Eclectic
hikkergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:03 AM   #17
speedysktr
President of Everything
 
speedysktr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,026
Default

The two rinks I go to in the 'burbs couldn't be further from that atmosphere. Thankfully.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:53 AM   #18
hikkergurl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Oswego,OR
Posts: 234
Default

OK....
I got an email from Dwayne in Cali. He went to the Boulder Crystal Palace rink here in Vegas and had the same complaint I do re: lack of supervision on the skating floor. (maybe he'll elaborate for us)

Liz
__________________
Live Life Eclectic
hikkergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 05:34 AM   #19
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah
 
motosk8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Posts: 678
Default

Good management equals good income for the rink. Bad management will bring a rink down. It seems to be a slow descent but it just gets worse. A chaotic floor speaks to poor management.
When kids get aggressive with me, I am the resident old guy at the rink, I will give them one verbal warning. I will then take it to the rink guard thereafter. I had one kid get so intent on taking me out I had to stuff him in a corner. The Roller Derby Girls are good teachers! It also speaks to how out of control the rink management let the kids become.
Whenever a rink guard has a problem with a patron I will back them 100%.

I figure the kids just want to have fun and just like a classroom they need to have it channeled and supervised. That is the nature of youth.

Skating on the trails is so peaceful during the summer
Phil
__________________
Hear Another's Heartbeat Before Your Own and then Pass Them
motosk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:41 PM   #20
skaterdog
Senior Member
 
skaterdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,402
Default

I have dealt with kids trying to take me out too Phil.

Worst situation I had was when I held my ground going into a corner by holding my left arm rigidly at my side. Some goofball tag-playin' teenager comes flying into me and my arm and him collide. He goes down.

I stay up and keep skating and as I go around a big lady runs out onto the floor in her sneakers and keeps saying.."Excuse me Sir" looking like she wants to tackle me.


I try to ignore her but she is making a spectacle of herself. I consider skating around the middle of the floor for a while or going for an extended bathroom break but I decide to go to the manager's office and explain what happened.

It's a glassed-in office and I can see a huge crowd gathering outside. So the manager hears me out and then calls the kid in.

He says I pushed him down and he was just minding his own business and I attacked him etc. Apparently the large angry woman was a group leader for the Church group they were with and I can see her glaring at me outside the window.

Rink manager says they could call the police because technically I assaulted the young fellow. But he ends up calling his Mama and I get to apologize to her.

I leave the office, push through the angry mob and get my stuff and get out.

The funny thing is...if I didn't keep myself from falling the kid would have had my 230 pound body falling on top of him.

So I actually saved his life!
__________________
Brakeless Bozo
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.