S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Quad Vert
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Vert All kinds of aggressive skating on quad roller skates including quad vertical roller skating, quad bowl skating, quad skatepark tricks, and street skating tricks in quad skates.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:30 PM   #1
rollman

Default What setup for quad aggro??

I would like to build myself a street quad setup. It will be used for urban skating (freeskate-freeride) but with aggro tricks like jumps and grinds.

What boot should I use? I heard it's best to use soft boots on quads. I am thinking about a Remz boot maybe?

What are the good oudoor wheels, and good outdoor plates that resist stairs jumping (gaps) ?

By the way, can you change the trucks to switch between large size and normal size trucks width as you like on quad skates?
rollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:21 PM   #2
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Sure-grip double action plates.

Super-X, heavyish but indestructible and relatively inexpensive.
Century, lighter, shinier, more expensive.
XK-4 DA (NOT single action version), also lighter and shinier. Around the same price as Century.
There are 3 widths of trucks available.

Standard,

wider (a little under 3 inches)

and widest (around 4 inches).

Standard and 3 inch will not take most symmetrical rounded edge skateboard wheels. They will rub against the "bridge" part of the truck. The 4 inch will take just about any wheel.
You would need an 11/16" thin tappet wrench for changing trucks as these plates use the conventional setup with the locknuts against the plates.
The plastic Probe plates (also by Sure-grip)

will also use the same trucks but use a reverse kingpin setup (like a skateboard truck) so are much easier to change trucks on. The Probes are a flexy piece of trash though (had a pair).

Most outdoor quadders use Kryptonics wheels (they're actually longboard wheels).

As for boots, anything goes. The french use basketball shoes. The spanish use figure skate boots. Americans use speed skate boots. Germans use hockey boots. Aggro inline boots are fine too (like Zorg uses). Flat bottom UFS boots would be easy to mount on. Don't do your cuff straps up too tight though. You'll have big bruises on your insteps and ankles.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM   #3
biffsk8er

I am happy with riedell 265 speed boots.

I have Ace mid-track trucks. Approx. 100mm trucks.

I use old snow skis (from resale shops) cut to fit as skate plates. Light weight and durable, as well as flexible!
I'm also going to mount some inline h-frames inbetween my trucks for grinds. Right now, I'm using old Ables, which I hate. Next, I'm going to try some suspension frames with the suspension part cut off.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM   #4
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

RSDave and Biff=Quad aggro experts!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:00 PM   #5
roller_dudette
skate addict!

If you ask 10 different quad vert skaters on setup, you will get almost 10 different responses. A lot depends upon what your doing too.

Per Daves comment. Those trucks both have kingpins that extend beyond the truck. Makes grinds hard. Use the narrow ones only if grinding on your trucks is not of interest. The problem with those is you must use rollerskate wheels which suck for vert application.

Best set up is using skateboard trucks and skateboard wheels. Get narrow ones. Make your choice on plates which you will have to make most likely. One of the spaniards is making some now so let me know if you are interested.

Stoppers have arguments both ways. If you do bowls I say get them, otherwise its up to you. We already did posts on this. Use search.

Grind plates, vary. Snow ones are the best! UHMW.. Better to use the vert rollerskating forum if you are interested then this one.

Now these are some great vert skates if you ask me lol.

roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:19 AM   #6
RS Dave

Remember folks he also wants these for street use. Bowl skates suck at anything outside of a skatepark. He needs something he can quickly change from one to another. A set of trucks over 3 inches wide is too awkward for turning. If he could find some smaller size freestyle skateboard trucks with a hanger that could accommodate a wider normal size skateboard truck he could quickly change back and forth in about 5 minutes. He would either have to buy a Tracker style plate ( I think they still make them on request, am I right dudette?) or build his own.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:15 PM   #7
roller_dudette
skate addict!

OK, I didnt read it close enough. But honestly he cannot build a great skate for grinds/tricks and one for the streets. Grinds mean on the hangers between the trucks. If you are on plastic, that is technically called slides. For streets I would recommend the narrow ramp trucks per Dave. I would really look at the french skaters for this. Usually they do a forward mount and use high top basketball boots. If you do this you need a metal insole to prevent the bolts from pulling through and get it without air/gel in the insole. But like I mentioned, grinds will be difficult with the narrow ramp trucks. The kingpin extends and they arent that wide. If you are a tall guy, I would consider the tracker route like mine. Plates can be made, not tracker, but thats better discussed on the vert rollerskating forum. For a quick setup, look at Jays on this forum. He did aggro stuff but he trucks are very narrow so no "true" grinds. If he meant plate slides, then that is possible with his setup.

Go for soft wheels, kryptos, pures, velocity, etc. Forward mount for streets. I like longer plates but depends how agile you want and your preference.

This setup I call a street skate, not an aggro or vert skate.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM   #8
rollman

Thanks for your answers.

So as I said I want a skate for urban skating, but with aggressive tricks like big jumps, plate slides (like a "frontside" in inline) and with switchable trucks so I can later do "grinds" (like a 50-50 in skateboard).

I never quad skated before, so I would like to learn with "normal" size trucks, then I could switch them if I want to do do grinds on trucks.

By the way rollerskate wheels are a bit narrower than skateboard wheels I think? If so, then does it gives enough place to grind on the "wider" trucks, shown by RS Dave?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM   #9
roller_dudette
skate addict!

skateboard wheels are center set, rollerskate on the inside. So makes the trucks wider with rollerskate and increases chance of clipping wheels if you have wider trucks.

To have the best of both worlds isnt possible. The aggro inline skates arent ideal for street/freestyle skating either. But guys do some aggro tricks even on freestyle inline skates. I would start with a forward mounted and/or longer recreational plates with the narrow ramp trucks like Dave mentioned unless you are a very big guy. The wide trucks will limit the ability to be maneuverable. Forget cross overs, etc. if you go to skateboard trucks. But they give room for grinds. Starting out, go with more narrow. Upgrade later to wider trucks. I would not recommend the wide ramp trucks if you really want to do freestyle on the street. Its much harder to grind on narrow ramp trucks but not altogether impossible. You will smack the wheels and fall most the time on those and the kingpin extends beyond the trucks so it bites the metal.

As far as boots, I would highly recommend against a rigid inline boot. Very stable possibly for vert, but doesnt allow you to bend your ankles to be maneuverable. Soft hockey boots I would recommend if you want a square fitting rigid boot. You dont need much ankle support with wide trucks. These arent inlines. Thats why I prefer the speed boots. I like to carve and wide trucks decrease turning ability. I have hurt myself a lot, have very skinny ankles, havent sprained my ankles yet with quads.

Dave, post links/videos to the french skaters. I think that would work best for him. Let me see if I can find a video with more of a regular set up and what he can do.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:43 PM   #10
RS Dave

http://www.rollerquad.net/

Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:45 PM   #11
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Here is a video of the type of skate you probably want
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yt8K...laudine&idx=10

This guy has a forward mount, longer plate with the rear axle about between the end of the heel and ankle bone and front axel under the base of his toes. This is how I prefer my street skates. He has narrow trucks and does plate slides on his plate. Probably a basketball shoe. So there's the ideal compromise. You might get away doing some truck grinds with the narrow ramp trucks. If so you must post a video!

edit, if you can skate like this guy, you MUST post videos!!!!!
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:06 PM   #12
rollman

Actually I already knew rollerfr and rollerquad way before I found skatelog
But I wanted to know the american point of view about it.

So I think I will get a S-G Super-X plate mounted forward and learn on it, then change the trucks when I want a more "aggressive" style.

By the way why this plate is less expensive than the others if it's more solid?

And can I slide directly on it without putting an h-block, like Spocky with his
Diker plates?

About my size, I am 6'', what difference does it do?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM   #13
roller_dudette
skate addict!

solid plates arent frilly artistic fancy dancy plates. So lucky us, its cheapier! Dont complain!!

You can slide on that plate. Its built like a brick. But the distance is far. I prefer to have something higher up so its easier to get on/off without the wheels catching. Taller guys seem to do OK with low plates.

Taller wider guys also can handle wider trucks. I am from shoulder to shoulder widest 12" so I cant handle super wide trucks. I would trip myself! Dave is a big dood, he probably feels like hes going to fall sideways on normal trucks.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:22 PM   #14
RS Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
... Dave is a big dood, he probably feels like hes going to fall sideways on normal trucks.
Actually I used to replace the axles with threaded rod and add nuts to the sides to get the width of truck I wanted (usually about 2 1/2 inches). Otherwise the sides of my feet were overhanging the front wheels. Here's the extreme edition I did with inline wheels.

Old January 24th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #15
biffsk8er

FRANKENSTEIN LIVES!!!!!!!
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #16
Andychrist

Hi,

I'm interested in aggro quad stuff too, street and ramp, can you really not use the same set-up for both?

Nice skates folks, nice vids too, I'm impressed and eager to get some of my own, are there any off-the shelf skates that you can use straight away to learn on? I'm 5'10'' and 11 stone with size 11 feet if that effects things
Andychrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #17
rollman

I would like to know how much the "wider" and "widest" trucks for the Super-X cost and where can I get them?
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #18
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Right here:

http://www.rollergirl.ca/usdcart/index.php/cPath/25_32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollman View Post
I would like to know how much the "wider" and "widest" trucks for the Super-X cost and where can I get them?
Old February 8th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #19
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Dave View Post
Or check this post out.
Old February 8th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #20
roller_dudette
skate addict!

skates.com has them too but they only sell the narrow ramp trucks and their pre built skates only come with the wide ones.