S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old February 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM   #1
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Default Nutrition; what, when, how much?

Since starting skating again May 2006, I have put a lot of emphasis on different thing in this order;
Weight loss,
Cardiovascular condition
Skating technique
Better equipment,
Muscle building.

I now am turning my attention to fine tuning my diet as I still am trying to shed some weight (20 pounds) slowly, while not compromising muscle improvement. From what I understand posted in the forum, it sounds like carbs before workouts to fuel your body, and protein afterwards to build and repair muscle, (and the other gooey stuff inside like blood vessels, heart, organs, etc). My question is; for a typical workout of around 1.5 to 2 hours, what would be a good time to start and finish eating beforehand? Also is it beneficial to break in the middle for a snack, or just keep hydrated as needed? What would be a reasonable amount to eat beforehand that will keep you fueled, without overdoing it and put on extra weight?
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:02 PM   #2
tmezz

BWI,
Back when I was riding a bicycle for a living (as a bike cop) I learned a little about this subject. This is what they told us; lots of little meals are better then fewer big meals, the carbs before and protein after was suggested as being healthier, and having the effcts you mentioned. Eating all your carbs early in the day (before 3:00 pm) is supposed to help you lose weight. Snacks during a workout should be small and typically we were told fruit and veggies were the best snacks, protein bars also work if you only eat them once in a while. Lots of water, if you wait until you are thirsty you are already dehydrated. Everybody is different and you will need to find what works for you.
tmezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:50 AM   #3
online inline

Just eat a balanced diet, hydrate adequately while excercising, and have a protein/carb snack preferably within about a half hour of finishing excercising.

If you are excercising really strenously for over 90 minutes, you may want an energy gel sometime during your workout, or something approximating it.

All i do is take a little Hammer Gel with me on any skating workout longer than 45 minutes, and take as much of it as i feel i need. Then i have a recovery drink or whey protein or both immediately upon finishing (in fluid form).

I try to keep it simple. If I start gaining weight, then i eat less. If i start losing, i eat more. And i try to never skate when i'm hungry.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote