S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:38 PM   #1
yedaki_de
Outdoor Quad Skater
 
yedaki_de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany near Frankfurt
Posts: 370
Default Outdoor-Wheels: I did the Abec11 Flywheel (Photos)

as a Outdoor-Skater doing mostly distance, I always are intrested to get a wheel with good roll AND comfort.

The Abec11 Flywheel seemed to me from what I read in the longboard-society perfect for my needs. Big hub 45mm, Urethane 15,5mm, Diameter 76mm, 81a

The Problem: Centerset core, so they are not suitable out of the box for skates.

Again as I did before with the Seismic Speedvent, I used the lathe of my brother in law to modify the wheels.

Fresh from the postman...



During the turning



The drilling of the bearing-seat.



The result :-)




All Images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3327124...7617559680111/


I got my first impressions today:

1: About speed, they feel fast, but I was as fast as before with my 80a Kryptos.
2: Comfort, they handle bad surface rearly very well, better than the Kryptos and even much better then the 83a Seismic Speedvent. And the Flywheels keep the speed better on bad surfaces.


Johannes
yedaki_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:44 PM   #2
jammn'beck
JAMwdaBESTrBLADElikdaREST
 
jammn'beck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Milwaukee, wi
Posts: 1,729
Default

bad azz how you lathed em.......they look sick!
__________________
"An anonymous call, a poison pen,
a brick in the small of the back again....
I just don't belong". ~ Morrissey
jammn'beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:59 PM   #3
MFND
Sweet Slice Ham
 
MFND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville Ky
Posts: 2,663
Default

Nice.
__________________
DayMan. Fighter of the NightMan.
MFND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #4
Barf
Insane in the Urethane
 
Barf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Far Northern California
Posts: 796
Default

They look awful close to the sole of the boot. No wheelbite?
Barf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #5
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default Another amazing post from my favorite SLF poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yedaki_de View Post
as a Outdoor-Skater doing mostly distance, I always are intrested to get a wheel with good roll AND comfort.

The Abec11 Flywheel seemed to me from what I read in the longboard-society perfect for my needs. Big hub 45mm, Urethane 15,5mm, Diameter 76mm, 81a

The Problem: Centerset core, so they are not suitable out of the box for skates.

Again as I did before with the Seismic Speedvent, I used the lathe of my brother in law to modify the wheels.

Fresh from the postman...



The drilling of the bearing-seat.



The result :-)


All Images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3327124...7617559680111/


I got my first impressions today:

1: About speed, they feel fast, but I was as fast as before with my 80a Kryptos.
2: Comfort, they handle bad surface rearly very well, better than the Kryptos and even much better then the 83a Seismic Speedvent. And the Flywheels keep the speed better on bad surfaces.


Johannes
Johannes,
Most interesting info you post Johannes, and I recently spent 1.5Hrs. on the phone with Chris Chaput, founder of the ABEC11 company and designer of these wheels. I was trying to find out whether he still had any of his older wheels from 2001-2002 when he made 50mm hubs that were SIDE-SET.
I told him of my project to build the best possible outdoor standard style (not Skorpion, etc) Quad skates. He was very interested and most helpful. He offered to scrounge up whatever he could find that weren't Museum pieces, for me to test. I also, said I would test his current wheels, if I could rent some time on a decent lathe.

My main concern was the weight of the current wheels, even after they are made narrower. This was why I wanted the 50mm hubs instead of 45mm. Why did you have to machine the hubs? Were your axles too short for the .400" bearing spread? How come you left the lip on the outside? If you removed the lip, do you think the wheels would be too narrow? The ABEC11s seem slightly wider than the Seismics. Did you find that the Seismics were too narrow?

Since you have just done exactly what I told Chris I would be trying to do, I am most eager to learn as much as possible on how these wheels perform. So far you are confirming everything I have said about how I expected they would improve the outdoor Quad skating experience. But I am still wanting my URETHANE THICKNESS to be much less - from 9 to 12mm max.

With your wheels so close to the plate underside, have you considered reducing the wheel diameters a little, perhaps down to 74 or 72mm?
With no toe (or Heel ) stops, do you use your wheels as brakes? If so, I guess this will bring them down to the 72-74mm range fairly soon.

Please give us some further follow up as you rack up some more kilometers!

All the Best,
-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR

Last edited by Armadillo; May 4th, 2009 at 05:20 AM. Reason: spell
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #6
yedaki_de
Outdoor Quad Skater
 
yedaki_de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany near Frankfurt
Posts: 370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barf View Post
They look awful close to the sole of the boot. No wheelbite?
No wheelbite, here is a closeup:



The rounded backside leaves even more space.

Until now I had no wheelbite.

Johannes
yedaki_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #7
yedaki_de
Outdoor Quad Skater
 
yedaki_de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany near Frankfurt
Posts: 370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Johannes,
Most interesting info you post Johannes, and I recently spent 1.5Hrs. on the phone with Chris Chaput, founder of the ABEC11 company and designer of these wheels. I was trying to find out whether he still had any of his older wheels from 2001-2002 when he made 50mm hubs that were SIDE-SET.
I told him of my project to build the best possible outdoor standard style (not Skorpion, etc) Quad skates. He was very interested and most helpful. He offered to scrounge up whatever he could find that weren't Museum pieces, for me to test. I also, said I would test his current wheels, if I could rent some time on a decent lathe.
I am glad to hear that Chris Chaput meight be intrested on Quadwheels.
The 50 mm hub sideset would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
My main concern was the weight of the current wheels, even after they are made narrower. This was why I wanted the 50mm hubs instead of 45mm.
With those big wheels we are anyway on the heavier side, a machined flywheel with bearings is about 146 g
Maybe you get it with the bigger hub to 130g.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Why did you have to machine the hubs? Were your axles too short for the .400" bearing spread?
That is the case. The clip-axles ar to short. But for the most threaded axles I dont expect a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
How come you left the lip on the outside? If you removed the lip, do you think the wheels would be too narrow? The ABEC11s seem slightly wider than the Seismics. Did you find that the Seismics were too narrow?
I left the outer lip because it was possible with the centerset hub. To make it narrower is quick done.
The second is the action. If the wheel is more to the outside, the axle is viritualy longer and steering is easier.
In that case the Seismics are a bit to narrow.
But the Seismics have 83a and the wide hub. They perform well on good surface, but what you gain there on speed, you loose on bad surface.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Since you have just done exactly what I told Chris I would be trying to do, I am most eager to learn as much as possible on how these wheels perform. So far you are confirming everything I have said about how I expected they would improve the outdoor Quad skating experience. But I am still wanting my URETHANE THICKNESS to be much less - from 9 to 12mm max.
I only have to compare the Kryptos 80a, Rolline Heliums, modified Seismic 83a and Flywheels 81a.
Until now I can rank the Comfort:
1.Flywheel
2.Krypto
3.Seismic
4.Heliums

Suprisingly the speeds are not that different on averange surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
With your wheels so close to the plate underside, have you considered reducing the wheel diameters a little, perhaps down to 74 or 72mm?
I thought about, but it is not nessesary, space is there (...on my plates...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Please give us some further follow up as you rack up some more kilometers!
I will do of course.

Johannes
yedaki_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #8
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default Tee-nuts inside and button/flat head allen screws

Johannnes,

Do you ever use tee-nuts inside the boot combined with low head profile screws? This could give you 5+mm more clearance from the wheel hitting the nut.
If I cant GLUE my shoe/boot on the plates, then Button Head allen screws are my 2nd choice. They look really clean and the chrome plated or colored titanium ones can offer some extra bling too.

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #9
yedaki_de
Outdoor Quad Skater
 
yedaki_de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany near Frankfurt
Posts: 370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Johannnes,

Do you ever use tee-nuts inside the boot combined with low head profile screws? This could give you 5+mm more clearance from the wheel hitting the nut.
If I cant GLUE my shoe/boot on the plates, then Button Head allen screws are my 2nd choice. They look really clean and the chrome plated or colored titanium ones can offer some extra bling too.

-Armadillo
Yes, I used normaly t-nuts, but here the Bonts came with screws, I used those. But the inner front-screw is a t-nut mount because there I had issues with my ball. The T-Nut is better.
The wheels dont interfear with the nuts, the nut are in different places.

Johannes
yedaki_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #10
okie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,729
Lightbulb Outdoor wheels,Modified Bones

Peralta Bones skateboard wheels with the rear skate board truck "off set" machined and the outer O.D. is a rideable 64MM. No bearing hole mod needed for skate bearings.

Urethane is rated @ 97A,but rides alot different than a hubbed wheel. The complete assembly flexes and absorbs vibration and jolts. Yet is fast and grippy.

I did put speed grooves in them to.

Okie

okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #11
okie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,729
Thumbs up And you can still buy these for outdoors.

72MM Kryptos. There a little heavy but roll fast and run over most stuff. Bolt right on most all skates.

Okie

okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #12
Barf
Insane in the Urethane
 
Barf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Far Northern California
Posts: 796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
Peralta Bones skateboard wheels with the rear skate board truck "off set" machined and the outer O.D. is a rideable 64MM. No bearing hole mod needed for skate bearings.
Okie, tell me more about the skateboard hangars you machined.. I'm assuming you just cut them so the hangar is a bit wider than a standard quad truck, to make up for the non-sideset hub on the 'board wheels. What kind of 'board truck was the donor for those hangars?

I'd much rather try this than mutilate my 'board wheels.
Barf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #13
GLiB
Junior Member
 
GLiB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Humboldt County CA
Posts: 26
Cool Very Nice!

Very nice. You make my mind whirl w/ ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yedaki_de View Post
as a Outdoor-Skater doing mostly distance, I always are intrested to get a wheel with good roll AND comfort.

The Abec11 Flywheel seemed to me from what I read in the longboard-society perfect for my needs. Big hub 45mm, Urethane 15,5mm, Diameter 76mm, 81a

The Problem: Centerset core, so they are not suitable out of the box for skates.

Again as I did before with the Seismic Speedvent, I used the lathe of my brother in law to modify the wheels.

Fresh from the postman...



During the turning



The drilling of the bearing-seat.



The result :-)




All Images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3327124...7617559680111/


I got my first impressions today:

1: About speed, they feel fast, but I was as fast as before with my 80a Kryptos.
2: Comfort, they handle bad surface rearly very well, better than the Kryptos and even much better then the 83a Seismic Speedvent. And the Flywheels keep the speed better on bad surfaces.


Johannes
GLiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #14
yedaki_de
Outdoor Quad Skater
 
yedaki_de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany near Frankfurt
Posts: 370
Default Exchanged my wheels...

After using the 1.set of Abec11 Flywheels now for about 1 1/2 year, its time for a new set.

The used ones wear down to 70mm. The skatefeeling is still fast, but less comfortable on bad surfaces.

Today I gave the new ones a first go, 73km whith strong headwind, but it was quite warm for november, 15 degree C. and some sunshine

They felt a bit slower than the old ones, but today I used my stainless bearings and maybe those are the reason for it.

Some photos for comparision:












Johannes
yedaki_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #15
cass38a
Senior Member
 
cass38a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Newcastle NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,653
Default

Your skates look better the older they get, just the way they should.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #16
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg
 
Big Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Beneath the Southern Cross
Posts: 4,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
Your skates look better the older they get, just the way they should.
Ha ha I was just about to say the same thing!
they seriously look like a skate that gets used the way they should!
__________________
--------------------------------------
My girl sk8's Derby, whats your excuse??
Big Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #17
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!
 
cojaco61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,428
Default Yes, But............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
Ha ha I was just about to say the same thing!
they seriously look like a skate that gets used the way they should!
Americans everywhere are fainting and saying!

OMG, they are dirty!!!!
__________________
We are the QUORG! You will be assimiskated. Skating Inlines is Futile!
Colin Coakes,
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #18
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg
 
Big Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Beneath the Southern Cross
Posts: 4,838
Default

I love that they stand on their toes
__________________
--------------------------------------
My girl sk8's Derby, whats your excuse??
Big Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #19
yedaki_de
Outdoor Quad Skater
 
yedaki_de's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany near Frankfurt
Posts: 370
Default

better to hear that the used skates looking good
than to hear "... cleaning, maintenance for the good boens..."

Here I have to share some ways with harvesting machines and tractors.

In a short while the new wheels looking like the old ones, I am sure.

Johannes
yedaki_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #20
Gero
Senior Member
 
Gero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Germany, Paderborn (NRW)
Posts: 321
Default @ Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Johannes,
Most interesting info you post Johannes, and I recently spent 1.5Hrs. on the phone with Chris Chaput, founder of the ABEC11 company and designer of these wheels. I told him of my project to build the best possible outdoor standard style (not Skorpion, etc) Quad skates. He was very interested and most helpful. He offered to scrounge up whatever he could find that weren't Museum pieces, for me to test. I also, said I would test his current wheels, if I could rent some time on a decent lathe.
Hi Armadillo,

is there any update in your communication and thoughts with Chris Chaput?

Is there maybe the chance to get the best possible outdoor wheel for Quadskates developed by ABEC11?

I would vote for a diameter between 76-80mm and a durometer in the low 80s (82a to 85a) for the heavier guys (what I am with around 200lbs) and maybe 78 to 81a for the lightweight outdoor skaters.

Since the Pacer Velocity Race (Can't anyone beg to Pacer for start producing them again? I would buy the first 5 sets!!!) are not more buyable on the market and my last set are on the trucks I urgently need a good alternative for comfortable and fast outdoor speed skating especially for longer distances (40 to 140km).

Cheers

Gero
__________________
****************************
Work like you don't need the money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
and skate like nobody's watching.
****************************
Gero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.