S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 29th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #1
rmwaller

Default Heart rate monitors

Hi all,

i am looking at buying an HRM, hopefully no more than 150 bucks.

Does anyone use one (I used to have one when I cycled, but it got wet and malfunctioned)? Ideally, I'd like to keep it on during my waking hours to see how many calories I'm using. Is that possible?

Cheers
rmwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #2
online inline

i've used the polar S150 for about 1 year, and it works great, I've seen it advertised lately for under a hundred. No calorie counter, and i wouldn't really bother with it if it did.

If you are going to use it, read up on heart rate training zones, becuase that's what it's all about. It is very useful if you actually bother to learn how to train. About the best outdoor speed skater i know swears by heart rate training zones, and devekoping your training strategy with it.

Good luck.

BTW, his HR Monitor is a $40 cheapie and he has problably gotten more out of HR Monitors than anyone i know. It doesn't ahve to be fancy. It just has to be understood and incorporated into your training program.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #3
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwaller View Post
i am looking at buying an HRM, hopefully no more than 150 bucks.
Does anyone use one (I used to have one when I cycled, but it got wet and malfunctioned)? Ideally, I'd like to keep it on during my waking hours to see how many calories I'm using. Is that possible?
I use the 301 and am at least "satisfied" with it's performance. It was less finicky when it was new than now. Now it loses satellite signal too easily and I have to wear it on my helmet to keep trackiing going, may just need a new internal battery, but it has to be sent back to the company for that. Also the USB port cover is really cheesy and mine is close to tearing off. Otherwise it's been an invaluable asset, and I paid $225.00 USD for mine. I'm not sure what features one gives up on the 201, but the 301 does heart monitoring, caloric counting, speeds, times & distance and can store the data for two years in the wrist unit, indefinitely in the computer program that comes with it.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=br_ss_hs...o.x=13&Go.y=12
JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 04:09 PM   #4
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.
Thumbs up

The Garmin 201 does not have a heart rate monitor but has the other features Jon B. mentioned. Mine has proven to be a useful gadget over the past 2 years and has made training more interesting.

From what I've read, the newer versions, 205 and 305 have several added features, the most interesting being better, stronger satilite communications.

Wearing your GPS on your helmet?! I'll have to try that. How many TV channels and radio stations can you pick up JB? (Cut to Twilight Zone theme music)
Old August 31st, 2006, 04:52 PM   #5
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezSk8 View Post
Wearing your GPS on your helmet?! I'll have to try that. How many TV channels and radio stations can you pick up JB? (Cut to Twilight Zone theme music)
My Garmin on Madeline's helmet

It works quite well if all you want is to look at the data afterwards.

Which version of the Twilight Zone?
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 02:45 AM   #6
LezSk8

Mvirtue writes,
Quote:
Which version of the Twilight Zone?
The original! Don't forget, I'm a old cra...cro... (what was that kind word you used NWGlenn?)...old guy.

LezSk8
Old September 1st, 2006, 05:59 AM   #7
NWGlenn

Quote:
Mvirtue writes, The original! Don't forget, I'm a old cra...cro... (what was that kind word you used NWGlenn?)...old guy.

LezSk8
Curmudgeon: Gruff, irritable, an', an' whatever...not confused!!!
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 02:29 PM   #8
LezSk8

Thanks NWGlenn! You are right of course. I was close (NOT!).

Ken
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:51 PM   #9
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
All I get over mine is garbled algebraic equations in ancient phoenician. Wonder what that means? JB
Old September 3rd, 2006, 09:50 PM   #10
LezSk8

JB, No wonder you are so "whiney" and "bitchy" (another thread) if all you are getting is "garbled algebraic equations in ancient phoenician". What it means is that you are on the fast tract to becoming a curmudgon like NWGlenn and me. Pity!

LezSk8
Old September 4th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #11
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
JB, No wonder you are so "whiney" and "bitchy" (another thread) if all you are getting is "garbled algebraic equations in ancient phoenician". What it means is that you are on the fast tract to becoming a curmudgon like NWGlenn and me. Pity!
LezSk8
Just call me Silas Marner. I think they only reason they keep me around is to watch me piss! JB
Old September 5th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #12
LezSk8

JB, I'm still laughing!

LezSk8
Old September 8th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #13
Code Monkey

Sorry Jon B., that is me sending those algebraic equations. I thought you would like it and would help pass the time while skating. Oh, by the way the fundamental algorithms for permutation groups you are receiving is in ancient Sumarian not ancient phoenician, that should probably help with any misunderstanding.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #14
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Sorry Jon B., that is me sending those algebraic equations. I thought you would like it and would help pass the time while skating. Oh, by the way the fundamental algorithms for permutation groups you are receiving is in ancient Sumarian not ancient phoenician, that should probably help with any misunderstanding.
"I can see clearly now, the Phoenicians gone, I can see all obstacles in my way. Gone are the dark clouds that had me down, it's going to be a bright, bright........." Hey, who changed the station? JB
Old September 16th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #15
janneman

Question cheapo - high heartrate

sorry guys goin back on topic

Got myself a heartrate thingy cheap: Eur. 15,- (that would be 10k peanuts, 6 Maltese pound or 20 US$)

now i'm finding out my heartrate is high pfff - in rest 90 and coarse-skating can hardly get it under 160. wich is for my age (41) appearantly high.

now I don't feel near dead - but is this to worry? or to do something about ?
Old September 16th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #16
online inline

janneman, surely something must be amiss. Resting 90 bpm? i can't imagine. You must be doing something wrong with your test of restig heart rate.

Put it on in the middle of the night, and as you wake up, calmly check your rate before you even lift your head up. Resting rates of anywhere from low 30s to 60 are more what's commonly expected.

If that trully is your rate, i'd ask a doctor.

There is a science to heart rate training zones and i can dig up links to good artlciles for you if you want.
t's a great tool, really.
Old September 16th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #17
janneman

Default :)

well, as said; i dont feel quite dead - luckily

i remember once upon a time in the old days on some forum there were great threads on this topic - with lots of input from you OI and also from the great code-hacker, with lots of self-expertise.

I actually bought it because it struck me that i tend to run myself empty within the first 20 - 30 minutes. So I need to learn to hold back and spread my energy.

i think now i need to learn a lot more....
Old September 16th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #18
online inline

janneman, your a tech guy so you'll easily grasp this stuff. Here's a very seful link - getting good info is half the strategy, and the HR monitor gives u the useful ifno./data. Here's the link which tells you how to use it, how to modualte your workout intensity so that you increase speed and endurance and of course, performance.

If you talk to any coach worth his salt, their workout plans all use this fundamental strategy as their base. We don't have coaches, so we do it ourselves, so here's to learning a smart way to do it.

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/hrm1.htm

PS- the very strongest skater (and perhaps the fastest) i know uses HR Monitor and the training zone strategy absolutely religously.

as for the your resting rate being 90, u might verify it by checking it with counting your pulse manually. might be broke?
Old September 17th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #19
janneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
as for the your resting rate being 90, u might verify it by checking it with counting your pulse manually.
last night woke up with muscle aches and sore bones, later today started feeling cold and chilly and the next moment hot. temp is 38C. Explains a lot i think ...

tnx for the tip, OI.
Old September 19th, 2006, 04:12 AM   #20
online inline

jann, hope your feeling better, which you probably are becuase it's a day ahead where you are and maybe a good mights sleep did the trick.

Elevated Resting heart rates are a sign of sickness as you have found, but also, it is a dead on indicator of over-training. If you test your HR first thig in th morning and find that it's running high, say 1 0bpm higher than normal, you are over-training, and your body is not able to catch up. SOmething to consider.

Like i said,job number one is to get good data. Then knowing how to interpret it and what to do with it seperates the winners from them other guys....